PDA

View Full Version : Black gesso

Sonya
08-15-2002, 07:17 PM
Just saw a terrific frog on the animal channel. It was done on black stonehenge paper. Anyone have any thoughts on black gesso? or for an oil painting could I just use black acrylic as as base coat. If you think I should wait for the black gesso to arrive please let me know which brand is best. Thanks Sonya

Patrick1
08-15-2002, 07:52 PM
Don't paint oils over acrylic paint. Even though many people do this, it will enevitably eventually peel off. Use gesso only. You can also tint gesso with very small amounts of paint to give it color.

I use Bob Ross black gesso. But it's overpriced, and it's not really black; it's a very very dark grey. Kind of a black licorice color. But that being said, I love painting on black-gessoed canvases.

Sonya
08-15-2002, 08:05 PM
Thanks Domer I had a feeling that I would have to wait. I guess I could paint the whole canvas with black oil paint but it would take forever to dry. I may just bite the bullet and drive 50 mi to get the bob ross black gesso. I just cant wait to try it. Sonya

Patrick1
08-15-2002, 10:20 PM
Sonya, you could use black oil paint, but...unless it's thoroughy dry, you might pick up the black when you paint over it.

I tried just this. I painted the canvas black, let it 'dry' about 2 weeks then painted over it. The black was picked up as I painted over it, and it made the enitre painting dirty looking. So I'd guess that you'd have to wait for the black to dry much more thoroughly (might be several weeks...just guessing).

Yup...get black gesso. But only get Bob Ross brand if you can't find another, better brand. Liquitex and Golden make black gesso, but might be harder to find. Good luck with your painting.

Sonya
08-18-2002, 08:54 PM
Domer Thanks I did go and get the bob ross black gesso the other brands were way too dear for my pocketbook. It may not be true black but its darn close a very dark charcoal grey. I painted a baby bird on it. Posted that in the animal forum. Thanks again Sonya

Patrick1
08-19-2002, 01:38 AM
Sonya, it's too late now, but I forgot to mention one more bad thing about Bob Ross gesso :( It appearently has low pigmentation; I have to use two coats to get it to its full darkness. So The other brands might have been more expensive per unit volume, but considering you'll need less of it, it might be no more expensive.

I saw your painting on the animal & wildlife forum and it turned out very nicely.

svrart
09-16-2002, 11:43 AM
Hi,

I use black gesso very heavily. I buy it at Pearls and have had no problems with it.

Sridhar