PDA

View Full Version : What objects attract you the most?

annette71
03-16-2009, 01:03 AM
I have been painting for 15 months now...not too long, but i have found in this short journey that there are certain particular objects in nature that i find very attractive or interesting and painting them in different forms seems to always be a good idea. I don't get the same feeling with other objects, although i do enjoy painting other things of course. It's a special vibe or attraction. You probably know exactly what i mean.

I thought it would be interesting to ask you fellow WCers what are those special objects you are attracted to paint in particular, even if you don't paint them all the time. Those objects that you just "know" you were meant to paint, even if you don't fully understand why (or maybe you do know why). So if you wish, you're welcome to join in.

I'll go first... I'm most powerfully drawn to ROCKS and TREES, don't know exactly why. I just do.

Annette

knippes
03-16-2009, 10:19 AM
Hi Annette,
I've been painting for just a little longer than you. I've found that I'm drawn to way too many things when it comes to painting. I haven't yet managed to find that one subject. I'm drawn to still lifes with historical content, western themed portraiture, rodeos, western landscapes and flowers. With my photography I'm drawn firstly to flowers, then to prairie landscapes and then to rodeos. I've got more experience with the photography, so perhaps that's why I'm a little more specific there. I went to the Leaning Tree Western Art Museum in Boulder, CO yesterday and was surprised to find that the paintings that drew me the most were ones that weren't in the "style" that I've been developing. Hmmm, wonder what that means...
-Kym

Colorix
03-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Hi Annette, I don't find myself draw to particular objects or scenes. There are some scenes I avoid, though, like modern city streets, or down in the underground (subway). I'm generally drawn to colour, and shapes, and light. I can be as enchanted by a rusty iron wheel as over a delicate flower.

For the past year and half, I've studied landscapes, (didn't like them, but figured I wanted to 'conquer' them -- and fell in love with them) and I'm mostly drawn to landscapes that do not exist around me.

The latest thing that fascinated me was the roof in a conference hall, last Saturday. I happened to sit in a spot where the angle showed the most exciting sweeping curves, and an abstract was born in my head. (I don't *do* abstracts, btw.) So I took my ballpoint pen and my notebook and did a quick sketch of the roof, and shot some pictures with my cellphone camera of it during the break. Maybe it will be the second abstract I've ever painted! :-) The forms were sooo cool!

Light, colour, form -- in any subject.

Charlie

Studio-1-F
03-16-2009, 10:34 AM
My fellow man. People! Capturing the character, the "essence" of an expression. I really love life classes.

Jan

saramathewson
03-16-2009, 11:33 AM
In watercolor I have always gone for flowers and sunsets. Funny enough, I haven't been painting flowers in pastels. I have been working on learning the landscape. Maybe I have more confidence since painting in watercolors for several years and am just ready to learn the landscape. In landscapes I'm drawn to painting rock outcroppings, canyons. I live in the SW and love the desert. i love water but haven't mastered that yet! I have been working on a water scene for a week or two and have brushed it off several times. But I'm learning.
Sara

bnoonan
03-16-2009, 12:26 PM
People... portraits... faces...

until I learned more about landscapes and took a good workshop from Richard McKinley. so today and maybe tomorrow... landscapes and shadows...

next week it may be something else... Friday and Saturday it was watermelons.... go figure?

Oh right - I love the figure too....

I actually think the common denominator is painting from life!

Barb

Lisa Fiore
03-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Interesting thread, Annette! :wave:

For me, I'm most attracted to (interested in) people and oceans/beaches. These are subjects I'm definitely *not* very skilled at, unfortunately. But these are the things I most enjoy painting.

(I like painting dogs, too! :p )

IMaybe
03-16-2009, 03:58 PM
:) A very good thread! Makes you think, lets see. I have always loved art, and only went thru to high school and not farther, took all art I could there and had some good teachers--then life took over, but lucky for me, mine was always from the back of a horse--so I enjoyed a lot of landscape that way!!!! I knew I would always get back to art--thought thought there would always be time......but now I am older, and I wish I had stuck with it each day of my life. Was once married to an artist, he was really great with drawing, which I love. Once said to a horse friend of mine how I loved art, wanted to get backt to it---she says " what? and do lanscapes like everyone does?" Made me think.....I just enjoy the journey--and look for that amazing light when it hits almost anything and transfroms it. Art begins with seeing, and with feeling and a love for life itself!!!! I agree with Colorix!! Compeletly---Not to fond of people in general, so find painting them a terror. My jounery has taught me that just paint your heart, with feeling---and I found I Do love landscape! And of course, horses...dogs.. water... trees(finally) and cats---mostly art helps you find you!

Devonlass
03-16-2009, 09:09 PM
I always seem to end up with landscapes, which I enjoy, but I also really like doing the type of stonework that can be found in walls and old buildings.

Maggie P
03-16-2009, 09:55 PM
The pattern of light and shadow, particularly shadows. An ordinary scene can be totally transformed by an interesting pattern of shadows.

Bringer
03-16-2009, 10:13 PM
Objects ?
Women:p

Ok...ok... don't slap me:lol:

Well, I don't have a particular preference as far as I've noticed, but I since I like the Dutch Baroque period, interiors featuring common day use objects give a realistic sensation to a painting and also tell a story, something quite important.
As for still lifes, I remember a pastel done by one of our coleagues featuring some red pears. I really find that red pears (we seldom see them here in Portugal) give a nice touch to a still life.
If instead of objects, you also meant subjects then I'll say that still lifes and landscapes are my favourites.

Kind regards,

Josť

birdhs
03-16-2009, 10:48 PM
Interesting thread! I am always drawn to colored glass (bottles, windows, etc), late afternoon light hitting flowers from behind, curvy surfaces on vehicles, especially chrome details, and laughing people playing and interacting with their pets. and paintings of bubbles and marbles....:evil:

Scottyarthur
03-16-2009, 11:09 PM
Wow this is a nice thread and I'd have to say landscapes, Trees for the most part, but wildlife I am pretty good at, but don't really care to paint them. I have been told many times that I should.

wabbitt
03-16-2009, 11:14 PM
I challenge myself to draw/paint everything I see. I knew I was avoiding figures and faces, so I did need life class to help me there...probably more for the regular availability of the models. However, my goal is and always has been to create narrative (storytelling) paintings from my imagination. I would be thrilled to paint anything from my imagination, even abstracts.

scall0way
03-18-2009, 10:38 AM
Right now I am passionately drawn to water! Not that I'm any *good* at it, :lol: - that's a whole 'nother issue. But I keep hoping to learn. I love seascapes and waterfalls and brooks and lakes, water of any sort fascinates me. But I enjoy still lifes too. I'm not crazy about flowers but I love fruit, especially pears.

I took figure drawing classes for three years and *never* came to enjoy doing the human face or figure, so would just as soon avoid them. I feel like I "did my time" with the human figure. :D

K Taylor-Green
03-18-2009, 03:10 PM
Faces! People and animals.