PDA

View Full Version : I'm trying to be a "real" artist!

Christine Mallaband
08-15-2002, 03:59 PM
Its got a bit of something about it Arthur Berry

Hi.
I'm quite new to wet canvas, and you may have seen me popping up on various forums!

I want to be a real artist! After years of full time work- which I continue to do, I realise I must make something of the talent I have before it's too late. My wake up call was having both wrists operated on for carpal tunnel syndrome, and then falling and breaking my left wrist.
I was getting over that when I was burgled earlier this year. I went for councelling because I felt the world was falling in on my head. I know other people who have had worse problems, but I finally realised I'd got to get up off my bottom and do something!
After that I couldn't stop, my confidence grew, and I finally walked into a local Art College (Burslem School of Art) and asked if they would be interested in exhibiting my paintings (luckily they were already after local artists) so in a couple of weeks time I will have an exhibition, all to myself.
I am frightened and proud all at once.
To everyone who has believed in me over the years- Thanks and don't let me get insufferable!

my exhibition (all being well), and you are all welcome... is at:

llis
08-15-2002, 05:07 PM
Congratulations!

Wow, after all you have been thru... you deserve to have a grand opening and a grand party.

We're proud of you!

Rose Queen
08-15-2002, 08:30 PM
Wow! This is a wonderful example of what The Artist's Way calls 'synchronicity.' Sometimes life just falls on you, but if you listen to that wake-up call and ask for what you want, it can all just come together like a charm! Oh, and by the way, Christine, you're most definitely a real artist... Congrats!

chris 97
08-16-2002, 12:22 AM
congratulations! hope it is a great show! and you get lots of accolades and sell a bunch (if that is what you want)!

Christine Mallaband
08-16-2002, 01:19 PM
Thanks all!
I keep hearing about the artists way and must read it. My friend has a copy, but I might just try and get my own, I love yoga and think the the Desiderata is a wonderful peice of advice.
Serendipity is important too!
Thanks!
Chris:clap:

Rose Queen
08-16-2002, 03:12 PM
Christine, I love this painting of the two cats. Their playfulness and attitudes come through loud and clear (and, of course, I'm a fool for purple...). :clap:

Christine Mallaband
08-16-2002, 03:24 PM
Hi glad u like it... its actually a drawing I did last night on the computer, the original drawn by mouse....Meiow!
attached are various versions I did. I think it came out well.
As for the exhibition IT KEEPS GETTING NEARER! Argh!!!!!
Lol Chris

PS Can I see any of your work~ I may have already but I am getting soo into this and have looked (and posted to lots of forums!)

Rose Queen
08-16-2002, 03:39 PM
I have only ever posted one thing on WetCanvas (despite 2,000+ posts!) 'cause I'm new to this art stuff and painfully aware of the shortcomings of my work (to date, anyway...). Here it is, tho...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jan-2002/001.jpg 9x12, watercolor

Christine Mallaband
08-16-2002, 06:12 PM
Oh Rose , thou art an artist!
I love the colours , especially the yellow. I like the fact that its on a slant. i like the grass, Like it all really. Dont be shy, Go Girl!
I think we are all artists ( after all just look what the cavemen did), sometimes you need practice, othertimes encouragement, (I was there) I am a fat 42 year old married woman _ BUT I Am enjoying my life more now than I have in years> Keep at it! I think you have a talent that needs exploring, Sod what arty people say- and that is not to disparage them, but we all have a spark of creativity, and it needs looking after.
I Love your painting ,
please do more!
experiment, enjoy, it is your life, (sorry to gush- i just want to enthuse you!)

lol Chris m-B:clap:
Here is a little angel for you!

Martha Ulakovits
08-17-2002, 12:52 AM
Congratulations Christine! A solo exhibition from a cold call (just walking in and asking). Love yur work.
Martha

BlackTigr
08-17-2002, 05:37 AM
Welcome to WC!, Christine. Your story sounds about like mine, at least in the serendipity part. I keep falling into things that work for me.

I *love* your painting of the cats. Seems another incarnation of the yin/yang concept. There is movement, energy, and you didn't stick with local color. :cat: The composition is simply divine.

Good luck with your exhibition. Hope it goes well for ya.

--BT

(RQ, I didn't know you've only posted one work on here...Go find some other work and show it to us.)

Christine Mallaband
08-17-2002, 06:26 AM
I really love WC,
I wish I could afford to subscribe.... but maybe one day,
I am all over the place, there is so much to look at!
Chris:D

Rose Queen
08-17-2002, 04:24 PM
Christine, thank you for your kind words!

surreal
08-18-2002, 10:19 PM
Congratulations!
It sounds like a wonderful opportunity for you.
Also, I like your painting of the cats very much.

:clap:

Beach Baby
09-11-2002, 07:10 PM
This is my first post to Wet Canvas. I've just discovered this fun forum.

I was intriged by the title of this thread..."Im trying to be a real artist"... I used to long for the day when someone asked me what I did for a living and I could say.."Im an Artist."

Well now I am..a full time self supporting artist and I find it very interesting that when I now have the opportunity to answer "I am an Artist" folks will still say "Well what do you do for a real job."

I find being a full time artist a lot of work!!! Not to mention the painting, just the framing, licensing, contracts, ordering suppies and bookeeping make my day start at 6:00am and end at midnight. (Sometimes I think a 9to 5 job sound pretty good...At least I'd have weekends and evening's off!!)

I guess for so long we have had the word "starving" associated with our title that no one can take us seriously unless we look like a herioin addict, dress only in black and pout as if our lives were full of issues!!

Anyway, Im new on the board and have enjoyed getting to know all of you throguh your writings. I feel like I already have friends that don't know me!!!

Beach Baby:)

Christine Mallaband
09-12-2002, 01:10 PM
My one wish is one day to be "self supporting" as I already work full time so its bloody exhausting (excuse my language) to try and paint too. But the exhibition I've got has had good feedback, just no orders or sales yet! Still they have booked me again for next year so you never know. Really my main worry is that as I am as afriend called me "formal with a modern twist" is there room for me out there, I have had virtually no media interest as yet, and feel like I'm chasing my tail just getting people to have a look at the paintings!
Oh well enough gripes, heres a pic of the opening to cheer me up!
Thanks for your post
Chris M-B:p
OOPs -no pic will try again!

Christine Mallaband
09-12-2002, 01:13 PM
Im the big one!
lol Chris

Beach Baby
09-12-2002, 03:09 PM
Really nice gallery show... Your work look great. What are your demographics? Who is your ideal customer?

I will be doing over 30 shows this year and have my work in a little over 200 stores nationwide. I have also licensed my work out to stationary, scrapbooks,sticker and soon pottery. I couldnever have done it with out help. I have amazing sales reps placingmy stuff and an Art rep that handles licensing. It was a huge leap of faith to go full-time/big-time. I had to practically mortage the house but it paid off.

Believeing in myself was the best thing I ever did.:)

Martha Ulakovits
09-12-2002, 03:20 PM
Congratulations,
I haven't been on the forum for very long either. You'll find there is a hierarchy here but it's worth putting up with. You can refer to the numbers and images next to the names.
Martha

Christine Mallaband
09-13-2002, 08:10 PM
I wish I had someone who would organise me, I arranged the exhibition off my own bat, (they have booked me again next year) I would love someone to find me and get me to sell stuff and market images, but this is a provincial city and to be honest I would not know who to turn to. If you know of any contacts email me etc!
I think I'm a good artist, its just getting that bit of recognition. this is my first "solo" and as I work full time I cannot devote as much time as I would like, but I must move on, or I will NEVER get anywhere with this. If any people in the UK can advise I would be greatful to hear from you too.
lol Chris MB

SGShaw
09-17-2002, 06:26 PM
Susan:

I would also like to hear more about your sales reps, where you found them, how you approached them, whatever you can share.

Cinderella
07-01-2003, 02:54 AM
Dear Artists,
I am happy to hear other people are succeeding at such a rapid rate. I hope I can get on that wave and be a real artist someday........soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PS I love this site and all the help and inspiration it has given me. Blessings!!! Cinderella

Maryj Hicks
07-02-2003, 03:57 PM
Hi Beach baby,
I would like to know more about how you found your rep and would I need to take a loan on the house to pay for it.

Thanks, Mary