PDA

View Full Version : To boarder or not?

jothelioness
03-14-2009, 09:55 PM
Hopingi can find some quick advice! I'm planning on doing a pastel painting for an art competition, at the end of which, all entries will be auctioned off. I'm not sure as to weather or not to leave a boarder or if i should paint right up to the edges of the paper. I assume that if the items are to be auctioned off, that people will frame them. Do you normally leave a boarder when making a pastel painting you plan to frame? It's a contest for high school only, and I was also wondering if it needs to be in a frame beforehand? Should I ask about this when I turn in my entry form?

Thanks!

NRC
03-14-2009, 10:51 PM
I'm replying as a beginner about an experience I had recently. On one of my learning projects I taped paper to a board so that when I was done I would have the white border. What I discovered after my project, and taking the tape off, was that I ended up smudging staining green pastel into my white border almost immediately and I did not get it all erased out. So, for me, the lesson learned was that from now on I would cover the whole of the paper and plan to frame pastels with a spacer. The other thing about going right to the edge is that it allows a little freedom to shift left, right, up or down when matting it - if required. Just my 2 cents and now we'll wait for those with the $$$ answers.

Good luck with your competition. It's wise of you to problem solve and consider beforehand the best method for presenting your work. Best foot forward and all.

wabbitt
03-14-2009, 11:01 PM
A properly framed pastel painting should have a mat/mount so that the glass has separation from the pastel. If you're going to show without a mat, I'd suggest you not assume they know what they're doing and paint to the edge. For extra measure, you should tape framing instructions on the back with removable painter's tape.

If you want your painting to look professional, sandwich your painting between a backing board and mat and put it in a clear bag.

jothelioness
03-15-2009, 02:32 PM
Edit: Re-read the posts and answered my own question!

Thanks for the help.

annette71
03-16-2009, 01:10 AM
My framer always ask me to leave about a 1 cm unpainted border on all sides of the painting. That's what she touches when manipulating the painting during the framing process thus avoiding damages to the painted area.

Annette