PDA

View Full Version : I'm scared, 1st time sales

adaisy777
08-15-2002, 02:10 PM
I went ahead and took the plung, and listed my first set of beads on Ebay. After posting them I realized that they aren't really my best, but I figured I should start somewhere. One thing that I wasn't sure about was the starting price. I was afraid that if I started the price out real low then I wouldn't get what I thought they deserved. I think this time I started the price to high though. Please take a look at the price and the auction set up itself, I'm not so concerned about the beads because I know I can do better. I would like to make my page look a little prettier with some different colors. What do you use for dressing up your ebay auction? Thanks!

Thanks!
Amie

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1758463610&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=1029898962&indexURL=0&rd=1

laughing glass beads
08-15-2002, 02:28 PM
The ONLY critic you should ever ignore is yourself. HA! I was told that once by a very dear friend. It is true, because you are the worst critic for your own work. I am really hard on myself, as I am sure that most people are. I like the colors you used, the dots you made, and the number of beads being offered. They will do well. HEY!!!!!!! Are you new here? WELCOME TO WET CANVAS!!! :clap: CC

ValorieCox
08-15-2002, 02:32 PM
Amie,
I think you price is fine, not too high. The photo looks good, and I would definately not try to add any extra artsy stuff to your page or background. It just gets in the way, and takes longer to load. Clean and simple is the best way to go, just like you have.

Put your energies into the beads and photography, get them the best they can be, and don't worry about the ebay page graphics.

I'd like to see more in your description about the mm sizes, inspiration, good qualities about the beads etc. Keep it up!

Valorie:cat:

Modesto
08-15-2002, 02:33 PM
I will offer one suggestion that I'm sure will help...put

WC!

in your title.]

JodiPrice
08-15-2002, 02:36 PM
Amie,

I think your beads are great! And I definetly do not think that you are starting them too high! Most of the time we artists are our own hardest critics!

I think if someone even gets them for that starting price they are getting a great deal, that is less then 1.00 a bead for handmade beads!!!

Dont sale yourself short!

I use a bit of html in my descriptions on Ebay to spruce things up a bit and to add several picts into the auction. You can also add colored text this way too.
Here is a great site that goes through some of the basic html things you can do:

www.w3schools.com

Hope this helps!!

AMR GlassWorks
08-15-2002, 02:44 PM
Hey Amie! 1st off, Welcome! You'll love it here! 2nd, your beads are great! You will definatly get the asking price! People tell me I'm always so low on my prices but again I'm really hard on myself as well and I think what I start out with is pretty fair! I think I'm the only one on Ebay using different fabrics behind my beads for auction. I used to quilt and so I've got all these fabrics sitting in my closet so I thought I would put them to use! :D Good luck on Ebay! I'm sure you will do fine!! :)

Shirley C.
08-15-2002, 03:46 PM
Hi, and welcome Amie!

I don't think your starting price is too high for your bead auction. One suggestion I have is to state somewhere at the end of your description what the shipping options are, as well as the prices. Some buyers get rather picky about shipping, and if they know ahead of time what the options and prices are, they may be more inclined to bid on your beads.

I had someone bid on a set of mine awhile ago who told me outright that she would not pay for priority shipping, nor would she pay for insurance. At the time, I only shipped priority. Since then, I've changed my approach and offer buyers their choice of options.

Hope you enjoy it out here on WC, and good luck with your auction!

b2beads
08-15-2002, 04:22 PM
Amie - I also noticed you listed your auction under arts&crafts/beading. I will be interested to see how the auction does there, but I think most lampworkers list their beads under "handmade lampwork". While some buyers (maybe many) do a search on "lampwork" (which you do have in your title), you may not reach many customers (like I used to be) who just scan the new listings in handmade lampwork. Just something to think about in your next listing.

Also, the word "annealed" as well as "WC" might be good to have in your description (I can't remember if you had that or not - sorry.)

Good luck and welcome to WC!

B2

NewCreation
08-15-2002, 04:27 PM
Amie-
Don't be scared, and go a little easier on yourself. I think your price is fine as long as you will be happy if that is what you get for the set. I put my starting bid at the lowest price I am willing to part with them for. Have patience with ebay. It is not easy to get noticed on there. You may also want to consider listing on Just Beads. It's a good place to get your feet wet with auctions.
Great colors to! Good Luck!

fergiebeads
08-15-2002, 09:42 PM
How fun! Those are MY kind of beads! (I'm a NUT for lime green & orange...)

I'm a new eBay lister, too, and I've been really stressing over my photos. I got my Lapidary Journal today, and lo and behold, there's an article in it on photographing your work. He used the Nikon 995, which some of the posters here have, and it's the camera I'm considering buying.

Back to your eBay listing, just take a deep breath and have fun! Don't get too caught up in it so that it takes the fun out of making beads. Besides, what's the worst that could happen...?

~Julie

Tink
08-15-2002, 09:54 PM
I'm with jcbfergie... I just started selling on eBay, and I'm a nervous wreck. It's hard to take good photos, difficult to decide *what* to say in the description and nearly impossible to figure out what your starting bid should be.

I decided to take a gamble with my sets this week: I started them all out at one cent, with no reserve. Four were purchased with Buy It Now at ok prices.

So what do y'all do if something doesn't sell? Do you relist it right away, or do you save the item for shows? What about offering no-sale items to shops?

In my other life as an artist in another medium, I had very strict (and anal-retentive) guidelines for myself in situations like that. Just curious as to what is common regarding lampwork.

Lori Peterson
08-15-2002, 10:05 PM
I love your beads, first of all! My favorite color combination is ALL OF THEM!

Did you know that you can change things in your auction - like the category to handmade lampwork, which I would recommend also - even after your item is posted or receives a bid? I did not know this until I made a huge heinous error in one of my auctions and panic set in. I actually posted a picture of my dog instead of the beads one time - caught it before it got to ebay, thank goodness. I would not want to have to ship my dog via priority mail! I love my puppy! Anywhooo, I digress..... just click the link marked 'revise item'. You probably are not nearly as lame as I and already know this but just in case......

WhooHoooo 2nd post! I'm on a roll now! oooooh....roll...I'm hungry.....:D

Lori Peterson

fergiebeads
08-15-2002, 10:19 PM
I put a hollow bead on a keyring on eBay last week, and it didn't sell. :(

I like the bead too much to sacrifice it, so I'm going to wait a couple of weeks and either make some more beads to go with it or make a finished necklace out of it and repost it.

If it *still* doesn't sell on the second attempt, then I'm going to keep it for a show or something. Some beads just don't come across well on the monitor (and some come out better than they are :D !) and they really need to be seen in person.

Each bead set has it's on story or feeling that it brings out of you, and only you can decide what you are willing to let it go for. There are some that look awesome to others but are just so-so to you; then there are some that you adore, and other people just yawn!!!

But somehow, in the collective it all seems to work out.

~Julie

MarySarah
08-15-2002, 10:42 PM
Hi Amie!

Are you new to WC? If so, welcome! You'll like it here. :D

I think your bead set is very nice, and that your price is not too high at all.

Personally, the eBay pages with lots of visual stuff going on are distracting to me. I prefer a neutral background for the item being sold, and no wallpaper most of the time (again, because I think it's distracting). If you could add a frame of some sort around the photo of the beads & and the background there, I think it would look nice (but keep it simple, IMHO). Also, if you want to you can center the photo by using these HTML tags:

<center >< img src=this is the addy where your image is stored>

(Don't put in the spaces I did, around the < > symbols ... I put them in because I don't know what WC will do with an HTML command.)

If you keep the <center > command in place, your text will also be centered - to move your text to the left, just type < /center> (again, without the space).

As far as other information to include in your auction listing, I agree with what others have said about the shipping costs - be up front. Some sellers actually try to make money off shipping. I like to have several options - first class mail and priority mail, with and without insurance, etc.

I really appreciate when a seller puts the size of the beads in the listing - and not just with a dime or quarter for comparison (or worse, to me - a ruler lying by the beads). I appreciate the measurements in mm, and if the beads range in size, you could just list the smallest and the largest, to give the range.

If you want to include it, I always enjoy reading a bit about a beadmaker. Reading the auction copy about a beadmaker was actually what got me interested in finding out more about making beads ... I can't remember who it was but someone on eBay had a link to her web site where she had photos of her making beads and also told how the process works. I then found the ISGB board and after just a few days, decided that I wanted a torch for my birthday!

Good luck - I think you'll do very well on eBay!

Cheers,
Mary

AMR GlassWorks
08-15-2002, 11:05 PM
I sometimes relist right away if I think they were good enough the 1st time to get a bid! If they don't get a 2nd bid they go to my Orphan Annie pile. Lately I'm happy to report (well this week anyway) I have had all mine sell!! Whoo Hoo!!! To think I gave up being a lunch monitor for over 500 screaming kids to make beads!! I'm making almost the same amount in one week than I did in 1 month working at the school!! :eek: :D Also alot less stressful to boot!!!! It will be a lot less stressful around here come next Tues when the kids go back to school!!! I feel like that guy in the Staples commercial!! I love that one with him riding the cart and the kids with their long faces and the song that's being sung is "It's the most happiest time of the year" !! LOL!!! Sorry for rambling on!!! :rolleyes: