PDA

View Full Version : Large canvas painting for backdrops

Mark4583
10-03-2000, 10:01 PM
Im needing to paint some canvas backdrops for photography backgrounds, they need to be 5x7 and larger.
What I need is some advice as to what I may need to do to prep the canvas and also what kind of paints to use.
I need to be able to roll the canvas up fpr storage without having the paint flake off.
Thanks

CarlyHardy
10-04-2000, 04:18 PM
Treat them the same as for a painting on canvas....just without the stretcher. Gesso if the canvas is not primed...this doesn't have to be heavy...a light coat will be fine.
I use acrylic paints for all my set work. You can purchase them in jars and the student grade will save you $$$. Golden is a good brand for this. Their colors are bright and clean. Stay away from colors that are earth toned...raw sienna, raw...,
they will look flat.

Since you don't want a glare from the background, don't varnish with satin or glossy....use a matte varnish over all.
carly

CarlyHardy
10-04-2000, 04:39 PM
Thumbtacking them to a wall is a good way to hold the canvas flat while you paint, too.
carly

LDianeJohnson
10-10-2000, 12:55 AM
Ditto Carly's comments.

Also, be sure to paint with less detail for the backdrops. Even when the photographer blurs out your background for some shots, tight detail could cause more work for him/her. In addition, test the backgrounds while working under the types of conditons the photographer will be using the paintings even if they are just overall mottled color. That way you can make adjustments while working instead of having to rework or redo them later.

Diane

------------------
LDianeJohnson.com (http://www.LDianeJohnson.com)
Workshops for 2001 (http://www.LDianeJohnson.com/workshops)

LDianeJohnson
10-10-2000, 12:58 AM
P.S.

When you've completed the backdrops, coat with a matte acrylic varnish. This will keep the surface cleaner (and can also be touch wiped more easily if it gets dirty from handling), and minimize reflective glare for the photographer.

Diane