PDA

View Full Version : IAPS cover competition

MCSosenko
03-07-2009, 11:25 PM
Just wondering how many didnt enter the IAPS cover competition because it required a vertical painting. I was discussing this entry requirement with several local pastel artists in my local pastel society. At least two didnt enter the show because they didnt have a vertical piece to submit. It looks like the judge picked a horizontal painting. The winner is a beautiful painting and definitely would qualify as a winner, IF it were a vertical painting. I suspect the artist was oblivious to the requirements, but, have to ask, was IAPS careless in allowing this to happen?
I dont have any sour grapes! I sent in several vertical pictures and they pale in comparison to the winner. BUT, what about rules, regulations, deadlines etc that drive us all insane? IAPS is the premiere international pastel society and needs to be more meticulous.

Deborah Secor
03-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Can you give us a link to the winning entry? I haven't seen it... Just curious!

Deborah

Maggie P
03-09-2009, 02:22 PM
I just saw this post, and am quite concerned. I was not involved in any portion of the cover competition but am working on finding out what happened and how we can correct it. I hope to have more information by the end of the day and will post it here.

Thanks for pointing this out!

Maggie Price
Vice President, IAPS

Maggie P
03-09-2009, 04:30 PM
We've tracked down the answer. Due to an error, two versions of the 2009 IAPS Convention Cover Competition prospectus were distributed last year. One version omitted the vertical requirement, but was printed and distributed through societies and mailed out. The other version, with the requirement that the work only be vertical, was posted on the web site.

Like most societies (maybe all of them), IAPS is a volunteer organization. Each volunteer does her job, but is not always aware what others are doing. This particular situation was complicated by people changing jobs within the organization. No one was aware that there were two versions of the prospectus until today.

When I saw the post above, I looked at the version on the web site; I called the show coordinator, who had the other, printed version in hand.

The problem now is that those who had the no-format-restrictions prospectus entered in good faith, as did those people with the prospectus that restricted to vertical formats. And of course, some people did not enter at all because of the restriction. Obviously, with the convention program printing deadline fast approaching, we cannot go back and do it over again. We are working on a solution that will be as fair as possible to everyone.

And, we are working on a standardized prospectus for all our shows and will in the future have one person who will review them all and make sure only the final version of each prospectus is posted and distributed.

All of us at IAPS are very sorry this occurred, and will do our best to do better in the future.

MCSosenko
03-10-2009, 12:58 AM
Thank you for the reply, Maggie. I can see how something like this could happen. It has caused quite a stir. I suspect there would have been more entries if all saw the same prospectus. Oh, well....
Mistakes do happen.

water girl
03-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Is there a link to view the cover for this year's convention?

Maggie P
03-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Is there a link to view the cover for this year's convention?

It will be posted on the IAPS web site within a few days.

http://www.pastelinternational.com