PDA

View Full Version : How a man puts up an umbrella for a woman...

simon levenson
08-14-2002, 08:34 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-14-2002/2187_day24.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: How a man puts up an umbrella for a woman...
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 8x10
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
This is the first panel from a sequence I am working on.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Interested in general comments...

nicoletta
08-14-2002, 09:50 PM
i kinda like it altho i think the title can be shorter LOL

Paintonbrush
08-14-2002, 09:51 PM
When I dream at night, I dream that I can paint like this, then I wake up....lol quick long strokes and color selections work well. Seems like you might put some more "heat" on your chairs or figures, maybe not wonderful the way it is. Is this from life spending time at the beach?
superb

Naris
08-14-2002, 10:33 PM
Superb. Yummy paint, looks good enough to eat. Nice light effects. Loose and juicy brush work. Mmmmmmm:) :)

Dutchcanuck
08-14-2002, 10:40 PM
Very Nice. I like it lots. :D

suncatcher
08-14-2002, 10:56 PM
masterful, efficient brushstrokes...very nice!

uuuhhh, although...i am afraid to mention this since i know (from lurking) that your paintings are well-liked/loved(?) in wetcanvas! and since i am a newbie i'd probably be eaten alive for even mentioning this...

i have spent a lot of time at the beach and beach umbrellas are a lot bigger than that. also, the shadow (if it is shadow) by the man's feet kind of look like his pants fell down.

suncatcher

simon levenson
08-14-2002, 11:01 PM
Thanks everyone...

Suncatcher, you are funny, you are right about the shadow and I had not seen that. The umbrella will be bigger or something, maybe I am scared cause it is all about the umbrella so I don't to make it too obvious...

As for being well liked... I expect to be ripped a new one every so often...

djstar
08-14-2002, 11:54 PM
Love the big brush stuff.
Definitely alla prime!
What, are you becoming Sally Strand now?
How cheery, bright and refreshing for such a city rat.
Vibrant and staccatto.
Don't get sun-burned.
dj*

suncatcher
08-15-2002, 12:28 AM
:) i am glad you have a sense of humor....

the size of the umbrella is not critical. making it bigger might disturb the composition of the painting....being the pro that you are, of course you can easily fix that.

the turqoise and black colors of the umbrella are perfect (just what a woman would buy) and how it reflects on the woman's waist is ingenious.

i see a consistent style in all of your paintings whatever the locale.

Linda Ciallelo
08-15-2002, 12:29 AM
I like the body language. They "stand" like New Yorkers on Coney Island Beach.

Fagan
08-15-2002, 04:55 AM
Hi Simon! It looks like a beautiful day at the beach. I love that umbrella...and the heat on her shoulders. When I first viewed the painting I thought they were on their knees...but then that did not look right either. Are they standing? if so....their feet are buried in the sand? or maybe my eyesight is failing....*LOL*

seele
08-15-2002, 05:33 AM
hi simon,
great picture which captures perfectly the moment and mood !
makes me want to go there and lay down in the shadow...
great colours.
but since here it is the open critique forum, one little thing:
the legs of the woman should become wider at the top
end to touch at the beginning of the body.

seele

jerryW
08-15-2002, 06:51 AM
shape of the water color(s)
the light on the chair, the woman's shoulder face and hat, and the stick in the ground are very strong.

giniaad
08-15-2002, 07:34 AM
love it!
suncatcher already ripped you a new one
(I saw the same thing)

like a beach day dream
love the colors
sky water umbrella
and the sun dancing on all
even the pants around his ancles...:)

I love it

Danny
08-16-2002, 08:18 AM
I really like this piece but one thing really bothers me. The red below the couple between his legs is too massive with the red on either side of the post and is different than the rest of The overall color skeem and draws my eye away from the main point of interest. The red ball to the right is OK because it gives enough difference for your eye to wonder without being dawn away. I would have made the color between his legs a little cooler .Also on his face I would have made it more like hers,The shadow of the cap is in a triangle ,where I see it should be more of an upside down L. I'm not asking for realism just correcting the overstatement of a shadow.But overall It's a great painting. Good feel, like an Neo-Impressionest.:)