PDA

View Full Version : Brushes for acrylics?

kieran
09-26-2000, 09:36 AM
Hi,

I would like to start getting back to using acrylics in my painting. A little while back I bought some natural bristle brushes to use in oil painting. I have never used these brushes and am wondering if they will be suitable to use for acrylics? They are excellent quality brushes, and so I would rather not buy specific brushes for acrylics if I can help it.

Your suggestions and comments would be much appreciated.

Kieran

------------------

Little Bear
09-26-2000, 01:28 PM
I never have had any problems using oil brushes. Just be sure to moisten them with water before loading with acrylic paint. Watch the paint on the brush and make sure it doesn't dry out on you. You'll never be able to save the bursh once the acrylic has dried.

Morrigana
09-28-2000, 11:37 PM
I have used sable brushes before in acrylic, and I found that they didn't work as well as the nylon bristles do. I think the nylons hold their shape better when loaded with paint and scrubbing across the canvas. They also seem to take more abuse with no problem, and bounce back with a good cleaning. I've also known them to shed less across the painting, which is always a good thing.

CarlyHardy
10-04-2000, 04:47 PM
The bristle brushes you have will work quite well with your acrylics. I use a lot of bristle brushes with mine. Do keep a jar of water handy to keep your brushes from drying out....dried acrylic is the most difficult to remove from brushes and can ruin them completely!

Your style of painting will also be a factor when choosing a brush....with a smooth transparent style, a softer nylon brush will not leave the noticable brushmarks. I like a textured look so I choose stiffer brushes and paint fairly thick not adding medium to the paint.
carly