PDA

View Full Version : Klimt- art history project

ryster007
03-07-2009, 01:31 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Mar-2009/83841-gustav-klimt-the-kiss.jpg
Gustav Klimt- The Kiss

(Ok apologies for the late start of the project (work commitments:mad: ))

In this project we can look into the world of Gustav Klimt- one of my favourite artists. Klimt was a controversial figure in his time. His work was criticised for being too sensual and erotic, and his symbolism too deviant. Today, they stand out as some of the most important beautiful paintings the world has seen.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Mar-2009/83841-klimtwhitetiept.jpg
Klimt was born on 14th July 1862 in Baumgarten (near Vienna). At 14 he joined the Vienna public art school where his potential was quickly discovered and he started making money doing commissions.

He was learning to paint in a classical style- see the example below
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Mar-2009/83841-fable_klimt.jpg
This of course is quite different to the instantly recognised style we all associate with Klimt

Next we'll look at how his reputation and notoriety grew!!

trafford
03-08-2009, 07:59 AM
One of my favorites too, Ryan. This should be a good project...Janet

artbyjune
03-09-2009, 05:38 AM
Many thanks for starting this Klimt project, Ryan. I am looking forward to it.

Scattykat
03-10-2009, 06:06 AM
Klimt is definately one artist who presses all my arty buttons, love much of his work. I really hope I have time to participate. Even if i can't, I look forward to seeing what everyone does. Chow fer now...

azulparsnip
03-10-2009, 08:01 AM
Ooooooh, Ryan - this looks like soooo much fun.......

ryster007
03-11-2009, 10:09 AM
One of my favorites too, Ryan. This should be a good project...Janet

Thanks Janet- I'm thinking which works we should aim to try or just go for an 'in the style of' approach

ryster007
03-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Many thanks for starting this Klimt project, Ryan. I am looking forward to it.

Hey June, I'm hopefully gonna post the next update tonight (just collating copyright free images for examples) and suggest a few to try

Ryan

ryster007
03-11-2009, 10:14 AM
Klimt is definately one artist who presses all my arty buttons, love much of his work. I really hope I have time to participate. Even if i can't, I look forward to seeing what everyone does. Chow fer now...

I hope you can contribute- if you don't get a chance to post work, please drop in with and good links, comments or insights into Klimts approach/technique

Ryan

laveh
03-13-2009, 06:55 PM
I am a fan of Klimt and want to join this Post?? or is it a Thread?

I see Post Reply and I see Quick Reply.....I am trying Quick Reply....

I do not understand these things yet....

LAVEH

china doll
03-14-2009, 11:25 PM
Can't wait for more. I love Klimt's work.

WildGoose
03-15-2009, 12:54 PM
Hi Ryan,

This is the one I"d like use as inspiration....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Mar-2009/120243-klimt-pallas_athena_1898_her_terrible_eyes_shining....jpg

If you decide we can do it that way...she's a great model for doing another strong and intriguing War Goddess...was thinking in terms of other cultures that loved G-O-L-D...so Celtic Ireland/Wales come to the forefront ...thinking of the Morrigan, actually!

There's an article by Patrick Hunt about Athene and Klimt called Pallas Athene of Gustav Klimt: Eyes of a Goddess on Philolog that gives a analysis of what art and artifacts from antiquity Klimt researched and then ,inspired, designed in for his potrayal throughout the final painting .

I would hope to emulate the same approach.

Here is the link:

http://traumwerk.stanford.edu/philolog/

Scroll down under the archives on the left and type Athene in the search box.

Enjoyed reading it, as I think it really gives, through an analysis of one of his major works, an inkling of how he might have approached others..:)

Love her stance and how those incredible light-piercing unreadable eyes look at us!

Cheers,

Chris/WildGoose

artbyjune
03-15-2009, 03:42 PM
Interesting painting and I read some of the article you linked too also. I don't really know the full story of Athena. But its interesting that she is the patron of the arts.

The goddess of intellectual power does appear to have intriguing links with powerful queens of the celtics. Even the Scottish early kingship came down via the female rather than the male line...not that I want to get into male versus female issues!

I am looking forward to seeing your artistic response.

I was thinking of 'the three ages of woman'...but its a theme that may take me a while to distill/percolate/mull over. And how to incorporate gold, etc etc. Plenty of food for thought in this project, I see.

Magical_Realist
03-15-2009, 06:38 PM
Klimt has long been one of my favorites. My mother loves him, too, and I've thought about making a copy of one of his paintings for her. Probably Danae.

I don't quite have it in me to deal with gold leaf right now, but his looser portraits and landscapes look like they would be a worthwhile challenge. I particularly like Lady with a Fan (1917):

http://magicalrealist.com/images/art_history/klimt_lady-with-fan.jpg

There are a lot of Asian influences in that period of his work. There's nothing particularly new about that--Van Gogh's portrait of Pere Tanguy, with its collage of Japanese prints in the background, was painted exactly 20 year earlier. But Klimt painted a lot of portraits of society ladies in a similar fashion, and this was bold stuff.

And darn it, it's just so pretty. [laughs]

azulparsnip
03-15-2009, 09:19 PM
he has an art noveau slant too

trafford
03-16-2009, 08:44 AM
Trees, trees and more trees and maybe a landscape. How I love Klimt.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Mar-2009/42757-klimt076.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Mar-2009/42757-Flowery-Garden-Gustav-Klimt-83217.jpg

Will try one of these.

ryster007
03-16-2009, 05:54 PM
I am a fan of Klimt and want to join this Post?? or is it a Thread?

I see Post Reply and I see Quick Reply.....I am trying Quick Reply....

I do not understand these things yet....

LAVEH

Hi Laveh- welcome!!:clap:

Yes this is a thread (ie Discussion thread) that you can post reply on. Please do join in and get painting some Klimt inspired work or stories about the artist or his work.

We'll keep you right with the posting!

Ryan

ryster007
03-16-2009, 06:07 PM
If you decide we can do it that way...she's a great model for doing another strong and intriguing War Goddess...was thinking in terms of other cultures that loved G-O-L-D...so Celtic Ireland/Wales come to the forefront ...thinking of the Morrigan, actually!

There's an article by Patrick Hunt about Athene and Klimt called Pallas Athene of Gustav Klimt: Eyes of a Goddess on Philolog that gives a analysis of what art and artifacts from antiquity Klimt researched and then ,inspired, designed in for his potrayal throughout the final painting .

I would hope to emulate the same approach.

Love her stance and how those incredible light-piercing unreadable eyes look at us!

Cheers,

Chris/WildGoose

Hi Chris- Pallas Athene is a great choice, one of my favourites too. I love those spooky eyes, really make you squirm.

This was Klimt first use of GOLD (not bad for a first attempt eh!!)

As for a Celtic GOLD inspired image you might be interested in this

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Visitors/MuseumsGalleries/AddToBasket.htm?Image=216

a painting by E A Hornell and George Henry about druids its stunning with its use of gold leaf and was painted in 1890 (8 years before Pallas Athene)

Looking forward to seeing your version:thumbsup:

Ryan

ryster007
03-16-2009, 06:09 PM
I was thinking of 'the three ages of woman'...but its a theme that may take me a while to distill/percolate/mull over. And how to incorporate gold, etc etc. Plenty of food for thought in this project, I see.

Another good one June- would you try to copy it or make something inspired by the original?

Ryan

ryster007
03-16-2009, 06:17 PM
...I've thought about making a copy of one of his paintings for her. Probably Danae...

I don't quite have it in me to deal with gold leaf right now, but his looser portraits and landscapes look like they would be a worthwhile challenge.

There are a lot of Asian influences in that period of his work. There's nothing particularly new about that--Van Gogh's portrait of Pere Tanguy, with its collage of Japanese prints in the background, was painted exactly 20 year earlier. But Klimt painted a lot of portraits of society ladies in a similar fashion, and this was bold stuff.

And darn it, it's just so pretty. [laughs]

This is a nice painting as well. I think I might try to do Danae (or The Kiss) (or both!!). Will try to post some WIP with Gold leaf which I've used before and love!
You can use gold paints too which are easier to handle?

Some of the later portraits are beautiful and colourful. He got much looser with those later ones and moved away from the use of gold. He thought that it was restrictive in the end

Interesting the Japanais influences that perculate they so much art at that time. I like E A Hornell ( a scottish painter) who also did this kaleidoscopic colour with japanese imagery

Looking forward to seeing your work!
Ryan

ryster007
03-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Trees, trees and more trees and maybe a landscape. How I love Klimt.

Will try one of these.

Excellent- I'm glad someones trying a landscape!:thumbsup:

My favourite is Beech Forest from 1902

Ryan

artbyjune
03-16-2009, 06:34 PM
Hi Ryan...for the 3 ages of woman, I thought I'd do an original design, but with Klimt touches of decoration and gold somewhere there too. I started some doodles from photos of myself when a child and my gran (for the young and the elderly). I thought of doing 3 ages of myself...with reference to activities of my childhood, youth, and adulthood....but I am not sure if I'll get a painting thought out by the time alotted. If not, I may do something simpler. Maybe a self portrait with symbols alluding to ages.

That's the problem, I get big ideas, and then they are just too big to carry out. hopefully I'll get something done though.

I can hear everyone's mind's ticking over on this project!!

Anita Murphy
03-17-2009, 07:14 AM
Just happened to see this and might join in - trying to find some inspiration and as he is one of my fave artists ..................

artist_pw
03-19-2009, 03:13 AM
Hi:

Klimt's images are magical. I may have to join in! :)

laveh
03-20-2009, 08:25 PM
I read several books on Klimt..was really interested in seeing photographs of himself, at home, (makes hi real.....) wearing those long tunics., that Emilie Flöge made, not worn in those days....

It's amazing to me, the Pre-Raphaelite work in earlier paintings (like another artist), then moving on to Art Nouveau and other movements. I love his sense of adventure, always learning, trying new things.

I have a few pieces that I felt inspired to do, whenever I look at his works.

WildGoose
03-25-2009, 04:19 AM
The Morrigan Prototype/WIP

Thought I"d just show you what I"ve come up with so far, modelled on Athena's stance and that hard ,pitiless, unfathomable gaze....a goddess equally as stauesque/standing her ground....but not quite as unreadible.... the Morrigan here is obviously relishing her position as a War goddess/chooser of the slain...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2009/120243-Morrigan_prototype.jpg

...Just hoping she won't wind up looking too much like a Gene Simmons ( he of Kiss ) doppleganger when I"m finished.....it's those crow/raven face tatoos!:eek: ...there will be FLESH!!!
(tones that is )....;)

Have had a real blast doing the research on this.... and there will be some circa 6th C BCE GOLD!!!
...and Ogham signs/stones, and a Blackthorn tree and a hooded crow....:D

Cheers to all,

Chris/WildGoose

....It's 2 A.M. or so, I know...but I"m on Spring break....!

artbyjune
03-25-2009, 10:39 AM
Great start Chris and I am looking foward to seeing the finish!!

artbyjune
03-26-2009, 09:09 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2009/106623-homageklimtfin1a5k.JPG

Here's my 'Homage to Klimt- self portrait'. I tried to keep the image flat and patterened. I also tried to 'glam' myself up a bit. I don't actually have red hair but red seemed to fit.

Pose based mainly on the 'Judith' painting.

It took a week to do so I don't think I'll be doing an attempt at 3 ages of woman...it might take me a year!!!

This one is 7 by 14 ins, acrylics, ink and liquid leaf on canvas. Liquid leaf paints on very flat. I think its meant for picture frames actually.

All in all, fun to read about Klimt and I loved his work.:heart:

trafford
03-26-2009, 11:04 AM
June, this is absolutely terrific, so your own, but Klimt too. Hope you are framing and hanging it. I love this idea of doing personal art in the style of famous artists.

And, by the way, you are too gorgeous for words. :wink2:

artbyjune
03-26-2009, 11:46 AM
It was fun to do Trafford.

Many thanks for the personal compliment, Trafford...BUT I used a lot of artistic license here!! Hee hee. Isn't it good to be an artist, you can improve on nature!:D

azulparsnip
03-26-2009, 10:35 PM
June - this is soooo tender and true to you, you may not be this glamorous but you are this tender and gentle. I think this is one straight from your secret heart. I am humbled and at a loss for words. The flatness but the patterns layer and somehow move but your image shines...........congratulations.......

WildGoose
03-27-2009, 02:59 AM
Wow!!:thumbsup:

June, this is simply a great realization of Klimt"s technique of myriad mosaic-like patterning and flattening of the image and background...

The static way you potray your hands, particularily, reminds me very much of how he also showed the hands in his first potrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer
(....the original society art patroness who , it was speculated at the time when the painting was re-sold in 2006 for $ 135 million , had alsobeen the original model for Judith....!)

....In both your realization, and that one, the contrast of the humanity of the faces are brought out more vividly..

I know you said it's based on his Judith and Holfernes image...but there is a much, much gentler ( and very becoming ) "feel" in your sensitive potrayal/self-potrayal, rather than the triumph/ecstasy of victory his original Judith had...makes me glad to know YOU :wave: , I must say, rather than HER :eek: !!

Gadzooks :D , but the patterning in that, and in yours, are both incredible!:heart:

It took you a week, eh?
Well, guess I"d better get on back to work...:)

Regards,

Chris/WildGoose

WildGoose
03-27-2009, 03:07 AM
Wow!!:thumbsup:

artbyjune
03-27-2009, 03:37 AM
Many thanks wildgoose and azulparsnip. I must admit, Klimt did not spring to mind as a particular favourite of mine, but once I looked at more of his work, the more I was taken by it. I rather like his fusion of patterning and the other unreal elements with the real.

Way to go wildgoose...just a few more days to finish. Looking forward to it!!

chbimaging
03-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Hi!
I am a fan of KLIMT and it’s a pity but I will not have time enough to try your model. When I began with oil , the only models I looked at were from him…
But it was my first oil-base paint also I decided to limit me to only one part of the famous kiss.

Even if I was only a beginner, I found a real great pleasure in trying to penetrate into the magic of KLIMT !

I decided to continue with part of the three ages of the woman, who appeared to me a logical continuation of my first table… I try to appropriate me the tenderness of mother and child.

Then I could gather them within only one framework under the name of “tenderness for KLIMT”!

Just a very small homage to a great painter....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Mar-2009/174427-tendresse.jpg

WildGoose
03-28-2009, 06:24 PM
Truly lovely work, Christiane!!:clap:

What a great choice to pair those 2 works together...

Because it so looks like it could be the same woman in both... it has a good narrative quality about it......kind of like a continuation of her own personal story!
Please post if indeed, if in future you do continue her Ages journey!

Like how that gold diagnol (sp)? patterned stripe uniting the 2 pictures, as well..

Regards,

Chris/WildGoose

artbyjune
03-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Beautiful work and such tenderness portrayed. I love the colour choices too. I agree with Chris...so lovely to see the 2 together!!

chbimaging
03-29-2009, 06:26 AM
Thanks Chris...
I do not say "NO" but currently, I am not yet ready for the third… perhaps a personal fright…

chbimaging
03-29-2009, 06:30 AM
Hi June,
I am happy that you felt the tenderness I tried to express through these two small portraits : Thank you!

Scattykat
03-29-2009, 01:39 PM
looking good Chris, look forward to seeing the final pic...:)
Judith, that's great, love the multi patterns, very Klimt, and you definatly have 'the look'. Nice work, and the red hair is just right...:thumbsup:
Christiane, beautifully painted, and sensual too, brill work...:clap:
I haven't had time to participate, tho I have a pose picked out, may try doing something tonight :rolleyes: . Tahnks for sharing your pics and info, chow fer now...

Scattykat
03-29-2009, 05:59 PM
Hi again, well since looking at this thread earlier, it gave me the kick in the proverbials I needed to start a picture I've been playing with for over a year :rolleyes: . My inspiration was a casual snap of my niece and her partner clowning around, but the pose immediatly got filed under 'Klimt inspirations'. Here it is so far, I hope to finish it sometime this coming week, but have a couple of others I have to finish first...

C & C welcome

artbyjune
03-30-2009, 12:01 AM
Shelley, this looks amazing so far. Very 'Klimt' inspired. I am looking forward to seeing the finish.

Scattykat
03-30-2009, 03:05 AM
so am I June, surprisingly, I was a little 'scared' to start this one, I know what I want to do in my head, but so often when it goes on papre I get disappointed. This is watercolours on some rather scrappy paper, but I really like how it's shaping up, so may restart it in oils or acrylics, (that was probably the kiss of death for it!) Not sure at the mo, but enjoying finding out...

trafford
03-30-2009, 06:42 AM
Beautiful work Christiane and a good beginning ScattyKat (very erotic)

I may have to run over a little, as I twisted my knee last Friday leaving the bank. Just opening the door, my knee buckled. This has put me knd of prone since, but I'm determined to get some kind of Klimt done, even if it is later on.

By the way, what happened to Ryan? Where are you Ryan? :heart:

Scattykat
03-30-2009, 08:44 AM
Hi again, thanks Trafford, and owouch! :eek: - hope the knee gets better soon.
It was so frosty here this morning, I managed to get a few more hours in on the Klimt pose :D , decided it has to go bigger, but wasn't happy with the compo. Stuck some more paper around it and extended the design, still needs jiggling, but am happier. Have found a piece of hardboard that's 60 cm x 120 cm, gesso'd over an old pic and it's ready to go. Sorry about all the joins, my scanners an A3, but still couldn't get it on in one go. This is where it is now...

Not sure whether to call it 'Poor Fish' or 'Manipulation'.
I shall prop it next to the line of unfinished canvases and pray for rain...:thumbsup:

WildGoose
03-30-2009, 05:51 PM
WHooah!!:eek:

Gustav goes psychedelic!:lol:

Very successfully...who would've thunk it?
...( easy answer: Y-O-U )!:clap:

What an absolutely great take on this challenge!

:heart: the 'extended" border look about it,too!

Will you be using gold on it, or deepening the colours any?

But even left more pastel-flavoured, which makes it just as individual and unique a work, it's grand...!:D:thumbsup:

trafford
03-31-2009, 12:37 PM
OK, here's mine, in the nick of time.

GARDEN PATH WITH CHICKENS....1916

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2009/42757-klimt.jpg

and the original:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2009/42757-Garden-Path-With-Chicken.jpg

artbyjune
03-31-2009, 01:33 PM
How gorgeous, Trafford!!

Scattykat
03-31-2009, 03:40 PM
that is really cool Trafford, love the colours you chose in the flowers...:thumbsup:

Robert, thaks for the encouragment :) . This is just my ref pic now, I've already started it on a larger scale, oils I think I shall go for. I do have some gold leaf, but have never used it before, only in the lab, and am not sure how to go about it. Shall have to do a little research me thinks...:o

WildGoose
03-31-2009, 10:01 PM
Trafford-
What a pretty pathway, chickens or no...:)

Just as lushly decorative as the original; but with a completely different, spring-like feel to it!

Scattykat-

Will be interesting to see how different your oil will be from what you've already shown us...good luck with that gold leaf!

Cheers to you both,

Chris/WildGoose

WildGoose
04-01-2009, 02:21 AM
Here's The MorriganAncient Goddess of Battle, Strife and Fertility, Chooser of the Slain, ......inspired by Klimts' unyielding and unreadable Pallas Athene...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2009/120243-Morrigan_for_WC.jpg

Decided to keep the top frame bar open to make it look more like she was shining through the bonds of the frame; and didn't add her name....also, couldn't fit it all on the scanner, so had to clone in the right side..

Here is a back-ground site for info on her place in the mythic pantheon of the Celts...

http://www.pantheon.org/articles/m/morrigan.html

Newgrange, the Neolithic monument in Eire, was mentioned as an important portal for her to enter this world, designs from which is the background I have chosen her to be in front of.......as a chooser of the slain, she holds in her right hand a lenth of golden rope, or fetters ( Irish spancel )to cast down upon the chosen that were to die in battle that day; in her other arm a fighting spear.

Around her neck is a goldenlunalae, a pre Iron Age cloak adornment.

Her colours are said to be black and red...which was the colour of death in ancient Eire.
Her animal avatar or emblem the hooded crow.

Since Celts were bodypaint tatooing by the late Bronze Age, and since I was trying to emulate Klimt's inclinations;I decided more designs were in order !

Also, following Klimt's lead as to doing lots of back-ground research...
more doing that, actually, than actual art-making!
But once I had the knowledge base, the synthesis of the design ideas came fairly fast in comparison...

Lots of info out there,did quite a bit of sifting through not only scholarly but Wicca sites as well......also, lots of "Femme fatale" or "Goth"-type potrayals; even Manga-style!

Athena's pitiless gaze and implacable stance was the initial inspiration for me choosing to try and potray The Morrigan.

Her unfathomable eyes were said to be mirrors of men's souls....

Medium and Support:
CP on Rag Drafting film/approx 9"x9"(23 cm x 23 cm )

Scattykat
04-01-2009, 02:43 PM
there's a lot of work, art and research gone into this pic Wildgoose, and she's definatly not someone I'd want to bump into on a dark night, :eek: or any night in fact :rolleyes: . Her strong bold character comes thru well with strong bold lines and eyes of challenge. Great symbolism in the colours, the gold chain and crow, very 'Klimtified' backgound too. Cool pic all round...:thumbsup:

trafford
04-02-2009, 06:07 AM
WOW! What a scary lady, WildGoose. She's wonderful :thumbsup: Thanks for all the background material too, a good read.

Sorry Klimt is over.....really liked this project. We still have your painting, ScattyKat, to look forward too. Yes? :)

artbyjune
04-02-2009, 07:59 AM
That's BRILLIANT wild goose. I love the crow!!

I also love all the other symbolism associated with this goddess. And although Klimt project is at a close. Maybe it could lead onto a project on god/goddesses and symbolism sometime soon.

Scattykat
04-04-2009, 08:54 AM
I will finish that pic Trafford, it's burning my brain up, so gouua do it, just not sure when, I have a pile of 'must finish work' a mile hi, but this one is near the top. Chow fer now, and thanks for the Klimt motivator...

azulparsnip
04-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Wow, great job Janet and Wild Goose........both really beautiful works

ryster007
04-21-2009, 06:01 PM
Hi everyone- can I just say there has been some excellent work here!

Yeah I know I went AWOL- at least Trafford noticed! I'm afraid work commitments meant I've been away for a month with work. It all came about suddenly and will last another 2 and a half months :(

All this means I've not had online access to a computer and haven't been able to do any art- it's killing me!

I had started my Klimt that was going to be based on Danae. Did this at my night class (which I've also had to cancel:( ) Can't upload the photo but managed to get it on my blog if you want to see

www.revanspaintings.blogspot.com (http://www.revanspaintings.blogspot.com)

It really made me smile to see the good stuff going on in my absence.

Ryan