PDA

View Full Version : A question about doing trees

Judibelle
03-07-2009, 10:43 AM
I know I have read that in drawing trees, no two trunks or branches should cross to form an X. Wondering, when, why, and by whom that rule was made. It seems to happen IRL (nature), so why not when painting?
Just curious...
JB

Deborah Secor
03-07-2009, 11:25 AM
It's just a caution, to consider such Ts or Xs, because they stop or trap the eye and destroy movement. I often try to soften one of the branches of an X, or make sure it's in a place where I want the action to stop, which I then counter with a strong attractant, such as color or contrast. Yes, trees have Xs and Ts, but I want to control the composition to create a successful painting! That's all... :)

Deborah

DAK723
03-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Forget the rule - because there is no such rule. Instead where branches cross, make sure you soften the edge or blur the branch that goes behind, to create a visual separation. You can also manipulate contrast and color to make the crossing less noticeable and to make sure it appears that there is some distance (depth) between the branches. This would be true of any items that cross in any painting. That is the way I look at it!

Don

Judibelle
03-07-2009, 12:07 PM
Deborah and Don...thanks for your responses...that helps a lot!
JB