PDA

View Full Version : question on framing pastel board

SuzanneS
03-01-2009, 04:22 PM
Hello, I am a new member. I have a question regarding how you frame pastel board. I've always used canson mitient paper before, so this is the first time I have now done a pastel painting on sanded board. Now I am wondering if you mat it, how do you support it's weight? Do you use a deeper piece of gator board beneath and adhere it to the back? how do you keep it up in the frame with not just tape as you would with paper?
Thanks for any advice

Paula Ford
03-01-2009, 05:57 PM
Welcome Suzanne!

I use Ampersand Pastelbord about 95% of the time and I never mat it. I just use Econospace.

SuzanneS
03-01-2009, 06:43 PM
I thank you. I will look up econospace...but you just put it behind glass spaced away from glass, no mat or border..?

Paula Ford
03-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Nope. No mat or border. I make sure my frame is nice and wide and yes, the econospace is applied to the glass all the way around and the pastelbord lays against it.

Here is where I get my econospace. They are wonderful people and have the best prices.

I use the 1/8" clear.
http://www.frametek.com/HTML/EconoSpace/index.html

Studio-1-F
03-02-2009, 10:46 AM
I thank you. I will look up econospace...but you just put it behind glass spaced away from glass, no mat or border..?
Suzanne, I saw pastels by an artist a few months ago who uses prepared matboard. She beveled all the edges of board and coated it all the way down the bevels. And the image extended all the way down to the absolute edge! She then 'floated' the board on a mat, with a good wide white area around it. Then put this whole sandwich behind glass with spacers.

It looked really great. Very meaty and 3D. The way the image extended down the bevel on all the edges was very nice.

Jan

DFGray
03-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Hi
I try to frame mine with frame space and linen liner
but on the large matted ones I have a piece of matboard
taped at the bottom (hidden under the mat) that the board rests on
also I use the heavy duty cloth framing tape,
but everyone prefers the large ones also framed with frame space and linen liner
($250-400) ouch!

driedpaint
03-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Yes you can Mat it, the best way is to lay mat over the art, hold in place and tape , just to keep in position, then flip it over on it's face , next cut pieces/strips of board with same thickness of your art board then with a few drops of glue and ATG tape to hold it in place. Butt the strips rite against your board,making sure that they are no wider than the outer edges of your mat . Do this on all four sides of your art board, then cut a 1/4 or 3/16 foam board for the full size of the frame dab a few spots of glue and ATG tape to hold in place, the glue will hold the weight after it dries, with no problem. You want a frame with a deep channel so as to give you the space you need.
The clear frame space works well all the way around the glass then set it on top of your work, foam core and thick mats show any pastel that may come lose at the bottem. Use nails to secure the board, cut small V grooves in backing Foam board if you have too cover them with tape so they don't poke through your dust cover. Hopes this helps

saramathewson
03-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Paula,
do you use a backing board when framing your pastel bord? Or does the pastelbord act as its own backing when framing it?

Thanks,
Sara

Paula Ford
03-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Most of the time I don't back it with anything, so yes, the ampersand board acts as its own backing. If the rabbet of the frame is deep enough, then I'll use a piece of acid-free foamboard for backing.

saramathewson
03-04-2009, 12:37 PM
Thanks Paula! I have to say the way you do it sounds like the easiest way to frame a pastelbord!

Sara

Paula Ford
03-04-2009, 01:30 PM
I'm going to purchase the following (Peggy told me about it...thanks Peggy) for when I hang paintings at a show.

http://www.americanframe.com/catalog/framingtools/frame_finish.html

adventureartist
03-04-2009, 04:08 PM
It sure would be great if the pastel convention had a special class on the methods, techniques and options for framing pastels next year.:-) I hire professionals to do mine since I do not have the time right now, but my husband is a wood worker and when he retires he wants to frame my works.
We have done conventional framing for my other paintings, but pastel is so different from that, we need to get educated! All this info and the links really help. Thanks!