PDA

View Full Version : The "Goal Post" for March 2009

Dougwas
03-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Hello Gang :wave:

Welcome to the "Goal Post," a place to share your art related goals with fellow artists. We encourage each other and help one another obtain these goals.

You may be looking for that "one thing" to get you going. Goal setting could be that thing. Any art related goal can be posted. Big or small, they are all your goals.

So come on and join in.

Doug

Dougwas
03-01-2009, 03:19 PM
I have not been able to do much on the Colour Theory course I am taking. Luckily, it is a self-paced course, so I still have time to complete it. My instructor knows about my challenges and is very encouraging. Actually, the last time we talked on the phone, he told me I was very knowledgeable on the subject, and I quickly told him it was because of WC and all the helpful people in the Pastel Forum.

So, my goals for March are:

1) Clean up the designated Colour Theory corner of my studio.

2) Work on the course for at least one hour a day, 5 days a week.

3) Finish the still life painting that is sitting on my easel.

4) Start and complete another still life painting using Charlie's method.

5) Post one sketch a week in the Sketch From Life thread in the CP forum.

Doug

terri66
03-01-2009, 11:42 PM
Doug, I hope things progress well for you.

This month is going to be a bit of a right off artistically. Lots on the go but no strong expectations.
1) Take photos of the kids in Grade 2 class, use PS to posterize them to 4-6 shades of grey and print them to the inkjet printer. Attached photocopy transparency and get them to colour with washable markers and then print on to heavy paper. (I'll do the actual printing for them with a little help from the kids) That will eat up a number of hours. Printmaking is another of my vices that I don't indulge in nearly enough.
2) I'm hosting a watercolour intro/dessert night for some of the women from hubby's unit. So it's a basic here are brushes/paints and paper have fun and drink wine type of night. Means I need to get supplies ready, a bit of baking done and clean house.
3) Mom commission of my great aunt {who just passed away} for my cousin to be done before mid April.
4) Send in application for juried show, Art without Borders before April 1.
5) Send in letter to school, letting them know I still want to finish my BFA but postponing it for another year. (Need to move back to Comox first)
6) Go gallery hopping in San Pedro at the end of the month. Any recommendations? Art supply shopping as well, suggestions welcome.
That's about the extent of it.

Colorix
03-02-2009, 12:04 PM
Hi guys, great goals.
Doug, you’ll get back into it quickly and easily.
Terri, that number two sounds like a really fun idea! I may borrow the gist of it, if I may, for a later date. And the best of luck for the juried show.

Charlie’s Goals for March

Gotta make them simple, as this month will be very busy indeed.

1. I will Prepare, and make totally ready for show March 28-29 in very good time. I will enjoy relaxing in comfort the day, evening, and night before the show.

(Take note of how I worded the last sentence to program my subconscious in the right way. Absolutely no opposite suggestions involving the word 'not' which the subconscious does not understand and disregards, and therefore make happen. The sentence "I will not drink tea for breakfast" gets transformed in the subconscious into "I will drink tea for breakfast". Which is allright, as I always have tea at that particular meal, but imagine what happens if I tell myself to not do something that is important that I do not do!)

2. I will Finish one painting I’m working on, and do one or two more for entering competition I’m invited to take part in.
3. I will Write out specific goals for goal 1 – with dates for sub-deadlines—, and print them out and stick to wall.
4. I will Forget about cleaning studio, but clean house instead, a little bit, just so I will be happy to let people over the threshold.
5. I will Reward myself for achieved sub-goals and large goals, asap after achieving. Rewards are to consist of something I want to buy, or something I want to do (eat cookies, give myself a “Charlie-day” like going to a museum, or painting some sketch for plain fun).

Charlie

ElsieH
03-02-2009, 01:22 PM
:wave: Happy March to All
And Happy Dr. Seus' birthday today, March 2nd.:cat:

March for me, art-wise, is going to be a "put on the brakes and dig deeper month!" I've been spreading myself way too thinly in all areas of my life and time to focus more. In art, it means working to move to a higher level, knowedge-wise and painting-wise.

I'm posting all my goals here, I am including my goals for watercolor, too, as right now what I'm doing is hard to separate, even when I'm painting in pastel or watercolor.

So...Here goes March: :thumbsup:
March 2009 Art Goals
Set goals and post at them at WC and on my studio wall, for daily use. Done!:heart:

Watercolor:
To work through Jan Hart’s book doing the experiements.
To work through Laurie Humble’s book doing the experiments.
To work on my paint and pigment binder.

Pastel:
To work on studies of landscape elements, especially as the season changes.
To use Laurie Humble’s techniques for creating depth in my pastel paintings.
To view and study Deborah Secor’s DVD’s.
To continue to participate in WetCanvas Pastel Forum.

General:
To go with Bob (hubby) on some photography/painting outings.
To take one of my cameras with me everywhere.
To use more of a value mapping in my drawing for painting than outline drawing.
To visit artistsnetwork..tv on a regular basis to view new programs and visit old.
To print out and post on my studio wall and read daily, March goals. Done!:heart:
To continue parallel work in Pastel and Watercolor.

Have a great painting month to ALL....make the dust fly! (ok, into your filter machine or mask! :wink2: )
:clap: :clap: :clap: :heart:

kdrungilas
03-02-2009, 11:29 PM
This seems like a cool thread - Good luck with your goals, all!

I usually set a goal to paint more, but I seem to be doing well with that this month. So, here goes.

1. Continue teaching my drawing class, but be better prepared before class starts.
2. Write presentation on history of pastel and collect digital images to include. This is to be given to a group of art gallery reps and college art instructors to encourage them to value pastel as a viable medium in the hopes they will increase their pastel exhibits or teach more pastel in college.

That should keep me busy for March - along with all the other stuff I must do.

robertsloan2
03-03-2009, 02:15 AM
Wow, lots of great goals everyone!

Yesterday I was so wiped out I never made it out of OP forum. For the past two days I have been doing Spring Cleaning in my studio area and the rest of my room (mostly the studio area). So...

1) Finish my Spring Cleaning and find the right places for all my art supplies.

2) Keep up Daily Art during March even if it's no more than a photo that day, do something that creates an image each and every day. Post it even if it looks like Gabriel drew it. (3 year old grandson).

3) Do the Rainbow Bottles exercise for Colourful Still Life class. Bonus points if I also complete Fehu to finish all the class assignments during March. Avoid signing up for any classes till I finish those artworks.

4) Read my Susan Sarbach book and all my new art books as they arrive, watch my Deborah Secor DVD when it arrives.

5) Rest when needed and take as much time as I need for things, especially physical things, don't beat myself if I don't keep up with the tough goals on this list but reward myself every time I get any little success in that direction. Take it easy this month to consolidate all the cool things I've learned and let them sink in with more practice.

6) Work on my oil pastels site, but that goes without saying.

Oh boy, it ran to six this time even though I wanted to keep it simple. Well, they're good ones and some are easier than others.

Colorix
03-03-2009, 06:29 AM
Great goals, guys.

Kathy, hello and welcome! I totally sympathise with "be better prepared before class starts". Yeah, one often can wing it, but the solidity and security of being really prepared allows for freedom and improvisation. As for images, take a look at Don's class (stickied) on Portrait and Figure, number 4. He's gathered a lot of beautiful pictures. A new (to me) master pastellist of old was Luti.

Have fun, guys, and may we all meet our goals fully and satisfyingly!

Charlie

Judibelle
03-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Great goals so far, everyone. I am starting out with only 2 this month...
1) to prepare for the meeting I am hosting on March 10 for the art league I belong to. It will be mainly social, but the 'program' is a Buy-Sell-or-Swap any unneeded art materials. So far I have 6 people signed up to bring stuff, but I mainly want people to come to enjoy themselves and 'catch up' on the league news...
2) To get out of my 'painting doldrums' and get inspired again. (I have been busy doing non-art-related cleanups, sorting, etc.. Now it's time to get back into painiting.)
Once I am inspired to paint, I will set goals for the rest of the month...
JB

koisdad
03-05-2009, 03:17 AM
my goal is just to simply work on something. i havent been happy with the things ive been doing and for some reason its making me scared to do any work. i dont know if this is normal or not, but its discouraging. has anyone else gone through this before?

Colorix
03-05-2009, 07:10 AM
Oh, yes, we all go through 'dry' periods now and then. Two things seem to work:
1) Paint sketches, do experiments, have fun. Don't make serious finished paintings that are "masterpieces", just play. Lower your own expectations and pressure on you.
2) Take time out, do something else. Works best if you really have a need to paint, as the urge will make itself known and be irresistable, when you're ready to.

Charlie

Dougwas
03-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Terri- These goals should kep you busy. have a dessert for me.:)

Charlie- Great idea about the reward system. Good luck on the show. Again, I wish I could attend, but I don't think I can make it.;)

Elsie- Hmmm... working through an art book and doing the exercises. Is that what you are suposed to do? :evil: I look at the pretty pictures and say to myself, "Iwish I could do that." Great idea, and have fun learning.

Kathy- Welcome to the dusty part of WC. It is a great to hear there are people out there promoting pastel painting. Keep at it Kathy.:thumbsup:

Robert- For you, six goals is keeping it simple.:) Keep those creative juices flowing.

JB- Good luck with your meeting. Maybe meeting with other people who are interested in art will help you get out of your painting doldrums. Keep at it Judi.

Leo- I know exactly what you are going through. All I can say is, you will find a way out of your rut if you enjoy creating. Something will inspire you and you will be creating again before you know it. Good luck.

Doug

ElsieH
03-05-2009, 02:02 PM
:wave: Hello, All!

Looks like we are off and painting for a great March!:cat:
Ah, spring is in the air...well, maybe just a set-up here in Wisconsin for the next snowfall! Hey, we take what we can get...there is bare ground in my front garden, the mound along the road from the plowing is a little shorter and it is + 50 deg. F! The parka stayed home and I was out in my lighter jacket today! Spring cleaning that is something my studio can use, too, Robert! Good plan!:thumbsup:
Doug: Ya' gotta' love it! Well, I did not say I'd be able to make my feable attempts at the experiments and demos from the book look that good! :wink2:
Give it a try is what I'll be doing! :lol:

One of my goals was to set up a 3-ring binder with color/pigment infor. That is all set up and some added! For those interested in pigments and who also do watercolor: Jan Hart's book and Hilary Page's book are great! I know that Jan's is at Norhlight Book Club and I got Hilary's from Amazon.
On the web, Bruce McEvoy's Handprint site is more than you'll ever want to know about pigments, paints, etc., at least in this lifetime: Click on "Paints"

http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/water.html

So, I have one of my goals checked off! :heart:

May you all paint a rainbow for St. Patrick's Day!
Elsie O'Hickey, here! Yah, Elsie H. is Elsie Hickey Wilson!:wink2:

Dougwas
03-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Well, Elsie, that sounds like our spring weather. Still snow on the ground and will be for the next few weeks. It makes you appreciate spring and summer.

I figured I would show all of you that I actually achieved my first goal. Here is my work space for the colour theory course.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Mar-2009/102199-CT_Corner.jpg

The table has sentimental value. It was a wedding present for my grand parents. A friend built it for them and it was their kitchen table for years. Their friend wrote the date on the underside of the table. September 1, 1934. It might soumd sappy but I think it is a neat reminder of my past.

I managed to do some reading and prepping for the course and even painted for a half hour today. So far, March has been better than February for me.

Good luck to all.

Doug

Judibelle
03-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Hey Doug...nice-looking space! I just bought a lamp just like the one you have, from a friend who was bringing a bunch of them to the Swap/Sell meet...gave me first whack at it, and I took it...$5.00! cant wait to use it. (Got it attached to my desk downstairs, but havent been down to paint yet....)
Glad March is going well for you so far.....Hope it Keeps up for you...
JB

kdrungilas
03-06-2009, 12:48 PM
We all do have dry spells - I've just coming off a long one. One thing that helped me was to rearrange my supplies - especially pastels - start making color swatches. Touching all the colors really helped my thought processes to imagine what I could do wiht this color or that one.

Another tip. Grab a small (8x10) sheet of paper, grab a couple colors and scribble. Then, just when it starts looking really fun, tear it to bits! Shred it and toss it away. You can make another if you like, or even a larger painting, because you are in control. You are stronger than the creative mood, and you can decide to paint whenever you wish! And if you dislike the result, you have the power to destroy it just as easily. Very cathargic to destroy a piece.

In fact, I once tore a 'less than pleasing' painting into 1-inch strips and then laminated the strips into bookmarks. They were half-abstract because they had portions of trees, grass, hills, sky, etc and the bookmarks sold faster than my notecards.

Colorix
03-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Yes Doug, show it while it is still pristine, with empty walls and not a spot or smear in sight! The desk is so lovely, and personal. You'll be sitting in the midst of the family having dinner, and you painting. If the craftsman only knew. He sure made good work. We have a dining room set that was given to my Hubby's maternal grandparents when they married, and it has survived 2 world wars, and been transported from Hungary to Sweden after the 2WW. We use it (with table cloths, surface is not pretty), and the chairs too, even if they are torture to sit on. Roots, gotta keep one's roots.

Kathy, LOL! Isn't it ironical that those strips sold so well! Great idea, you're full of them, so keep on sharing!

JB, ah, get thee down to the studio, eh? Make use of all that great stuff.

Inspiration: I come from not daring to draw or paint (I was young and couldn't take an insult from a "friend" in my stride), to painting whenever I sit down at my easel. Go into the studio, do the job, and get caught up in the Flow after a couple of minutes. As I have both experiences, I really count my present attitude as a blessing given to me.

Charlie

Dougwas
03-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Well, I finally started the painting part of the course and that plastic sheet covering the table ain't so white any more.:lol: The next time someone says pastels are messy, I'll throw an oil paint tube at them. I have paint everywhere.:eek: But, you know what? It's fun mixing those colours!

Charlie, you were correct about the pristine corner. I am just using big sheets of cartridge paper and was going to pin it on the walls but noticed the oil on the paper. I now have my painting swatches pinned up in the closet. Who cares about those walls? This is all so new to me. I have never used oil paint before and it is taking some time to get the hang of using a painting knife. Oh well. It is a fun learning experience.

JB, we have four of those lamps. They are great to have. I have one attached to my easel. You can put them anywhere and you can also use whatever bulb that suits your purpose. I hope you are painting up a storm.

So long for now.

Doug

ElsieH
03-07-2009, 02:25 PM
:wave:

Robert: You're inspiring me on the Spring-cleaning of the studio!
My pastel side of my little space is very neat! All my sticks neatly in the trays, easel are with tools and other useful stuff in containers.:)
However, the watercolor half looked more like an out-of-season tornado had hit it! Jumbles of brush jars, tubes, water container etc. Since I've been experiements with various pigments/paint types things were pretty messy!:eek:
But, yesterday I said to myself: NO CLEAN, NO PAINT! Two hours later: I had reorganized my tube storage bins, put away stuff I'm not using, and "did the dishes": the mixing area of my palettes are sparkling and some little round experimenting palettes were cleaned off and ready for work! Hey, it is fun to paint when you can find what you want! :wink2: :heart:

Lamps: Good lamps are worth their weight in gold! Mine are not expensive, but with the day-light bulbs to balance the ceiling "indoor" light, I love it.:heart:

Tables: OH YES! Our house and my studio certainly would not pass a decorator's inspection! But, we love those things that bring back memories!
My Watercolor desk is a desk my older daughter used throughout her school years. But, it goes back further! Being an couple of teachers on limited funds and two kids to raise, we got furniture where we could: That desk was sold for $2 at a sale of old dormatory funiture when my hubby taught at Washington & Lee Univ. and we lived in Virginia! The students had literally "left their marks". But, it is still perfect for the purpose! And as I paint, I revisit the years when Kathy did her homework sitting at that desk!:heart:

With a concert coming up soon, I'm spending extra time practicing the violin. But, I decided to budget art time to equal the music! Hey it is working! With my hubby dealing with his own time schedule, being newly retired, it is working for me to announce my own schedule! My goals are moving right along! :clap: Watercolor works well with pastel! You have to let areas dry before going further: I can just swivel my chair around and work on the pastel easel and move back and forth! Small studio can have some advantages! :wink2:
Doug: I have learned a lot about colors from mixing my watercolors! Enjoy those oil paints!
Happy Dustmaking All!:thumbsup:

robertsloan2
03-09-2009, 12:59 AM
Doug, I love your Colour Theory Class Corner. That table is a wonderful keepsake and looks like a grand, sturdy table. I'd love to use something that historic and cool. Congratulations on all your progress.

You and everyone else, I'm seeing lots of effort and success all around.

Me, I had a horrible week the first week of March with much in the way of sick days, made worse by my ramming my willpower against my limits to get the chaos beaten down to size. I wound up throwing my back for about three days of serious misery. But I kept up the daily scratches, all with oil pastels so far but I have got eight posts on the Artsomofo group account where I'm posting along with Diana.

I started a little landscape for fun on canvas paper with the cheapest set of oil pastels I had and wound up stretching that to four days of progress each day. I would do one layer on it and stop. Lots of bad days.

But the chaos is beaten down to where it's one laundry basket full of Displaced Stuff (much of it other crafts and knick knacks) and one square meter of stacks of stuff right next to my bed.

I called a halt at that point because a) my back hurt so much it was hard to get out of bed and b) I got fed up with not having enough good places to put everything. So I blew all my patient savings of the past few months on a second spree at Blick and bought an Americana Taboret on Clearance -- really nice wood one with five drawers and sturdy casters, usually a $200 model. Also an Alvin Craftmaster II drafting table with eight little drawers and two side trays to hold all the little stuff that gets lost.

So... goals.

1) Finish Spring Cleaning. In progress.

2) Daily Art. Barely, some are scribbles, but YES!

3) Rainbow Bottles painting and maybe Fehu too. Nothing yet.

4) Read new art books and watch Secor DVD. 2 books so far, the Walter Foster mostly pictures ones, but I did one exercise out of each so far. This one might be tough! The Carlson landscape book is slow intense reading. Three out of five still to read and I have two more coming, but I think they are short easy beginner books that I'll just read and review.

5) Rest when needed and reward rather than beat myself. Yes. I think buying a new taboret and drafting table has to be the biggest self-reward for grit and success in reorganizing that I've ever done. I grumped, but I rested and I did get my enthusiasm back.

6) Work on OP site. Three pages -- the Book Reviews index page and two book reviews, plus a Bloglet. So that's a Yes.

It's only the 8th. There's still lots of month to go on these things. I might hold off on starting Rainbow Bottles till the table is set up if its estimated day of arrival isn't too far off. It would be a lot easier to work on it with all my pastels spread out on a huge table than juggling them the way I usually do. Right now my softies got buried again in the cleanup, mostly by accident, so it'd take mini-organization to dig them out.

I know that I will do it as soon as the table's here though. So if it is going to take three more weeks to arrive, I'll do the mini-clean when the taboret arrives and plunge into Rainbow Bottles. If it's going to be here within a week, I'll hold out for the table, spread every pastel I own on it and take a pretty photo of my colorful new setup -- much more appealing than a bare-table photo!

You're right, Doug, six goals is keeping it simple, for me. Gee, I used to have that swing lamp too, only mine was black. I'm replacing it on next month's art supplies run, only this time putting a Chromalux bulb in so that it's color corrected like my more expensive Daylight lamp. The one that'll actually be in a better place to use the magnifier again when the table arrives. Task lighting from two of them should help with night time still life setups a lot.

Kathy, you're right too. I love that as a way of breaking a dry spell. Just taking out my supplies and organizing them by color always winds up giving me ideas. Sometimes I have to go through more than one set to get going, but that is one thing that will always do it. Cleaning up my art supplies usually does too, because that's when I'll find something I wanted to use and hadn't gotten around to for a long time.

I haven't tried the painting-destruction method yet but I can see why it'd make very cool bookmarks!

Elsie, loved your story about that $2 table. Old and good things with a history rock. Sadly, most of mine got left behind on various moves, but in twenty or thirty years everything in here will get seasoned and well used. The cherry veneer table will get stained with pthalos and the drawers will get stained and everything will still be sort of in order but need annual reorganization.

I miss my old small dresser that had apple-crate slat sides with painted designs on them. It was about the size of that taboret and I could've just put casters on -- didn't make it into a small car to move out of New Orleans though. Eh, maybe the taboret will darken with age and look all antiquish when I get white hair.

ElsieH
03-09-2009, 06:14 PM
:wave: Hi, All!

Progress is being made! With the study of Jan Hart's book and Hillary Page's books, and doing color swatches, experiments etc. I'm really coming to understand pigments, and the variations as they are used by various brands. Much of what I'm learning about watercolor pigments is helping my understanding of pastel pigment use, too. Several months ago, Richard McKinley in his blog wrote about the need pastel painters have to understand color mixing, layering and he recommended experimenting with watercolor, acriylics, oils etc. to gain more understanding.
Now, I want to watch Donna Aldridge's DVD's on color again to see how I can integrate what I'm learning with her ideas!:thumbsup:

Robert: Hang in there! I admire the way you keep giving it a good try even on days when your body is not cooperating! Leaving New Orleans with just a carload must have been hard! :crying: It is wonderful that you have such a nice family like your daughter, Kitten's to be with! Enjoy those little grandkids: they grow up fast!:heart:
I love it about the furniture getting that old look from the paints and other art materials! Hey, it is called the "distressed look!"
Years ago, when my husband was in grad. school, we were living in a student apartment and our furnishings were (and many still are) from our parents basements and attics and yard sales, he went to help one of his professors move to a new house. The Prof. proudly showed his grad. student helpers a new coffee table. It had been beaten with changes and finished with spots etc. He said it had the "distressed look!" and quoted some big price he had paid. When Bob got home he told me we had "valuable" furniture! We had a great laugh! :lol:
Carlson book: Oh, yes, it takes slow reading. Even after a couple of reads, I was just really getting the depth he has there! But that book is pure gold!:heart:

Happy March Painting!:cat:

robertsloan2
03-10-2009, 02:21 AM

Progress is being made! With the study of Jan Hart's book and Hillary Page's books, and doing color swatches, experiments etc. I'm really coming to understand pigments, and the variations as they are used by various brands. Much of what I'm learning about watercolor pigments is helping my understanding of pastel pigment use, too. Several months ago, Richard McKinley in his blog wrote about the need pastel painters have to understand color mixing, layering and he recommended experimenting with watercolor, acriylics, oils etc. to gain more understanding.
Now, I want to watch Donna Aldridge's DVD's on color again to see how I can integrate what I'm learning with her ideas!:thumbsup:

Robert: Hang in there! I admire the way you keep giving it a good try even on days when your body is not cooperating! Leaving New Orleans with just a carload must have been hard! :crying: It is wonderful that you have such a nice family like your daughter, Kitten's to be with! Enjoy those little grandkids: they grow up fast!:heart:
I love it about the furniture getting that old look from the paints and other art materials! Hey, it is called the "distressed look!"
Years ago, when my husband was in grad. school, we were living in a student apartment and our furnishings were (and many still are) from our parents basements and attics and yard sales, he went to help one of his professors move to a new house. The Prof. proudly showed his grad. student helpers a new coffee table. It had been beaten with changes and finished with spots etc. He said it had the "distressed look!" and quoted some big price he had paid. When Bob got home he told me we had "valuable" furniture! We had a great laugh! :lol:
Carlson book: Oh, yes, it takes slow reading. Even after a couple of reads, I was just really getting the depth he has there! But that book is pure gold!:heart:

Happy March Painting!:cat:

LOL yep! I've had plenty of valuable distressed furniture over the years. It was pretty cool too, especially if it was real wood and solid.

Yay for your studies! Thanks for that tip about Carlson's landscape book. It's something like the Jack Hamm books were for me -- information overload unless I read it slowly and digest each bit as I read it. Today and yesterday I did sketching in oil pastels and did several exercises from the Walter Foster ones though.

It felt like goofing off, but it was productive goofing off. I realized how much I've grown when I automatically started changing the backgrounds and fixing compositions if I thought they were too dull. I wound up using student materials and doing technique experiments in them, rotating which student sets I used to get more familiar with their qualities.

The three other books are tucked up right in reach though, and as soon as things settle down a bit I will dig in and enjoy them. If I don't read all five this month, it just means that I'm taking my time studying each of them -- I'm getting plenty just out of the Walter Foster ones especially from studying the examples. Text is mostly just colors used and doesn't mention everything in a step, but the images show a lot.

I keep transposing oils projects into oil pastels on the wildlife book, so that is a very good thing. It's getting me to loosen up and get painterly with the OPs. I know I will with the softies too as soon as my art stuff is rearranged and they come to the surface again.

I've got this heady feeling of empowerment because every time I do one of these, it comes out well. All four of my Walter Foster projects are up on the walls now, three on the sketch wall opposite me and one on the wall behind me, plus a spontaneous cat sketch I did in the same style of Gemini the Purring One because she happened to be curled up cute and laid still long enough for me to get the gesture.

This evening Karl brought in today's mail when he took the garbage out -- just a half hour ago. I was so happy! My Deborah Secor DVD is here!

So tonight I'm going to relax and watch it for the first time just to enjoy it, I'll slow down and play with it when I get my softies dug out from under the pile. For now, I've got something great to relax with before I get to bed tonight.

I am still keeping up daily art too, the bold Walter Foster exercises were very good for that.

ElsieH
03-10-2009, 04:08 PM

Ooo! my Deborah Secor DVD's arrived in the mail yesterday, too!
I have orchestra rehearsal this evening, so I'm not going to get at them until tomorrow! I saw them on Artistsnetwork.tv and loved them! I really learned how to lift out unwanted areas with a sponge brush and to use color shapers from the Landscape one! I love just watching Deborah work!
Yep, Carlson is best in small glassfulls to savor!:wink2:

On a rainy, foggy afternoon, I'm off to do some painting and to do a little
violin warm-up practice before this evening!

This morning as we were driving into down in the fog and looking out the window at the trees etc. I was musing about painting in Watercolor and Pastel. I was saying to myself..."Well, If I were doing that in pastel I'd pick a very light tint of a color stick...easy...in watercolor I'd have to fiddle around to get it right. Then DUH! :rolleyes: it hit me "up side the head" That's the idea I'm getting from all my experimenting with watercolor....I just get a good wash mixed and control the water...I was suddenly seeing the relationships of the two media in a new way! My March goal along with my Feb. goal of moving back and forth between watercolor and pastel really is paying off!

May spring be just around your corner! :heart:

Colorix
03-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Rob, the Carlson book will make much sense to you now, as I strongly suspect he was very aware of colour. It is definitely not a modern speed-read book. Lots of thoughts in it, and a way of looking at life. Not any old book. Robert Henri is somewhat similar, although that book is a collection of comments and lectures.

Elsie, love your moments of insight!

I'm doing well-ish on my goals. I've put Hubby to work, so all invitations are sent and a flyer is printed. And I do not *have* to paint much, as I've got some 25 paintings to choose from. I'd like to paint a few small ones, for people with little space on walls and/or lower funds.

Charlie

ElsieH
03-10-2009, 07:14 PM

Charlie:
Sometimes it takes a wack on the head to get any insight through this old brainbox! :lol: But once in awhile it clicks!:heart:

Sounds like your event us shaping up well! Hope all goes well!
Nice to have your hubby helping with the invites etc. :thumbsup:

Dougwas
03-11-2009, 12:08 AM
Elsie- Make sure that wack on the head isn't too hard.:eek: Have fun with your wc and pastels. It is fun using different mediums. It is beneficial to learn how to mix colours. I hope your orchestra rehearsal went well. You are one busy lady.

Robert- You are doing very well with your goals. I can understand your excitement for the arrival of your new drafting table. That sounds like a great idea. Good luck with your goals and hang in there.:thumbsup:

Charlie- It sounds like your Hubby is a very loving man. It is nice to have a very caring spouse. I know. My wife is the one who encoureaged me to get back into art. Very encouraging and very understanding when I NEED more art supplies.:heart: Good luck with getting ready for your show.

Well, I have not done very well with all my goals so far. I have spent more time than expected on the course so I guess all is not lost. I am finding great joy mixing colours with the oil paints. I think I am getting a better understanding about colour. Hmm. Maybe that's why I am taking the course. I have another day or two of colour mixing and my first three assignments will be completed and I will get back to my dusty sticks. They watch me while I am using the oils and I think I can hear them talking to each other. I hope the are not planning a mutiny.:eek:

Good luck everybody.

Doug

robertsloan2
03-11-2009, 05:44 AM
Doug, that sounds like it's going so well. All that intensity in the oil painting course is also going to affect everything you do with the dusties. I know all my oil pasteling is improving how I handle my dusties too. I think I'm doing some of what Elsie's doing with pastel and watercolor, only right now it's Oilies and Dusties.

Elsie, I love that daydream. I do that all the time too. Look at the back of my cat's head and suddenly start seeing how I'd do it in pastels, how I'd do it in graphite, how I'd do it in watercolor or oil pastels. I think that mental practice is as important as real sketching for internalizing everything I learned -- and learning more. I know it's resulted in some unexpected leaps in skill during dry periods when I wasn't drawing at all -- except in my head.

I loved Deborah's Landscape DVD. Watched it immediately and so many things became clearer that were just described. Watching her work is a big help. The casual way she uses the foam brush to wipe out things and the good value drawing under her pastels were two things I want to try immediately the next time I do a landscape or anything. Now I need to get the one with outdoor shadows too, since this one is so great.

Don't wack yourself on the head too hard, you still want to be able to paint afterward and that gooey red stuff makes a nasty medium for pastels.

Charlie, that is so thoughtful of you to do some smaller ones for those who can't afford your big ones. I love your paintings so much.

Today's happy progress -- despite everything I am still keeping up Daily Art. The art for the 10th (it's still today to me because I'm still up at 3am) was a little fruit still life from memory in oil pastels -- and I wound up pushing it around with Charlie's methods even though I was just fooling around to have something to call a daily sketch.

Two more oil pastels books arrived, one just a book and the other the Oil Pastels Workstation that includes a sixteen color set and some good cartridge paper bound into the book. I'm reading that one now between bits of Carlson, where I've gotten up into chapter three.

The taboret arrived as scheduled! Today I struck a mighty blow for reorganizing. Well, a lot of them actually!

I got the taboret unpacked by myself after my son in law got it down into the living room. I walked it on its feet into my room and put the knobs on the drawers, then looked for the casters and dug them out of the bottom of the box. I turned it over and bolted the casters on. Assembly complete. I looked at the set of Walnut Hollow oil pencils and put them away in a drawer.

I was confused at the sight of the box though -- it seemed too tall and flat to hold a taboret? Would I need to nail its sides together and contruct the drawers? Huh? This was my thought on getting up. When I actually got into the living room I saw the smaller fatter taboret box and realized that my table, which shipped on Monday, arrived on Tuesday.

Karl helped me get the box open and pulled everything out of it in the living room. He then removed both big cardboard boxes to the garage where they will get used to store things or deconstructed for usable cardboard and styrofoam. We do recycle at home.

I carried all the pieces and parts into my room, walked the tabletop in on its corners, settled down and read the instruction manual. Happily, it is in English and has words and is very well written. I hate the ones that are anime-looking drawings and no text, where machine parts grow faces and little hands and wave at you without being at all clear about what has to be done with them or in what order.

The side trays do have covers. They are awesome. Much better than the single open one I had on my old table in Chicago. The table does exactly fit where it's supposed to go.

Karl moved the broken guest chair out of my room and brought in the nice golden-brown one with casters already on it, which is now blocking the way to the bathroom so I have to walk the long way around till the table's assembled. In order to make room for it, I emptied off the end table completely, put the printer on my chair along with the big tray of artstuff that sits on it, rolled the taboret into place where it was and put the printer on top of the taboret.

It's a bit taller than the end table was but that's sort of nice. I already scanned the fruit sketch and it wasn't that hard to move the tray and scan something without getting up.

I put the end table over next to the bed. I took all the books out of a small fifteen inch wide three shelf unit and moved that out of the way of the table. I put down a bit of plastic bubblewrap, the small-bubbles kind, under it to protect the end table's nice finish and put the little shelf unit on top of it, which makes all three levels easier to get at. Part of my bed is covered in books now.

My room has exploded into quasi-organized chaos. The middle of the floor is Assorted Table Parts and tool box, next to that the meter-square stack of things that need homes, next to the cat food and water dishes is the Unsorted Laundry Basket O' Stuff and my back went out around 9pm from everything I did. So I have spent the rest of the time sitting still, posting, doing that sketch from memory and writing an article on Drawing from Memory for my site.

All in all it was an insanely productive day and tomorrow will be too, because I can't stand this transitional mess. It's much more cluttered than it was before I started cleaning up and walking around flat table legs and machine parts is a bit like an obstacle course.

The happy thing about it is that I do think I'll get going on Rainbow Bottles soon as I get everything cleaned up. The table top is so lovely and big, I could spread out multiple sets and still have room for the paper. I might set up my field easel as a table easel and work on some of it vertical just to see how that goes.

I am happy with it, just frustrated I couldn't get it all done in one day. lol

But this early in the month to get that much done makes the rest of the month look very, very good!

Judibelle
03-11-2009, 11:08 AM
WHEW Robert...i'm tired just reading about your work-intensive day! but bravo for getting it done...
Charlie and Doug....Glad to hear things are 'moving along' for you both...
Elsie....you DO have a busy life! and like you, I'm trying to move back and forth between watercolor and pastel....
Well, my #1 goal has been accomplished,as of last night. About 20 people turned out for the 'event', which had plenty of stuff people wanted to get rid of....
I bought a few things, but at the end people were 'giving away' things they didnt want to cart back home, and I acquired a few assorted-sized frames, (wooden, no glass) and a couple of books. One, Painting with Pastels by Peter Johnson, and one called Painting...A Complete Guide by Kenneth Jameson, which covers a multitude of media and seems to have clear, straightforward advice on 'how to do'... Then someone gave away one by Tom Lynch called 100 watercolor workshops....which may or may not be useful...but it's different, anyway.
I bought a set of Faber-Castell pastels, which I am not really familiar with but the colors look nice, and the set was virtually brand new ($5), and 4 more of the lamps from my friend, for $5 each. all in all, I made out pretty well....and everyone had a great time. Next Get-Together is in May, and I have a program planned for that one, already...
Now on to my other goal, which is TO PAINT! (after I get the taxes done....sigh)
JB

ElsieH
03-11-2009, 11:55 AM

Doug and Charlie: sounds like things are going well!:clap:

Robert: Wow! Just like Christmas, Birthday all rolled into one!
The Taboret sounds fantastic! Mine is a cheap plastic set of drawers, but it holds what is needed. But, a real one! Wow!
Congrats on all the organization, cleaning and new stuff!
Your son-lin-law Carls sound like a great guy!
Enjoy your new stuff and the organization!:clap:

Judibelle: Congrats on the event going so well and on the new finds and buys!

My morning started out with BOTH of our printers complaining they had no paper and would not be satisfied with paper added! :eek: Could it be Lephrechauns? :wink2: Hmmm! So I'm heading off to do some painting! I'll get my hubby Bob solve the problem when he gets home! :heart:

I'll make those wacks in the artist head gentle ones!:lol:
Thanks to everybody who makes this Goal Post thread a great one! Inspiring, encouraging!:) :heart:

Let's celetrabe hubbys, wives, daughters, sons, dau. in laws and sons in laws, friends, helpmates, soulmates and pets who make our artistic life better every day! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Colorix
03-11-2009, 07:10 PM
JB, Great!

Elsie, I'll drink to that!
Dust out the wee little nasties from your printers!

One goal I didn't write accomplished: The birth of the Pastel Guild of Europe! We have a name and a domain!

Charlie

robertsloan2
03-18-2009, 01:54 AM
Congratulations on the Pastel Guild of Europe, Charlie! That sounds so wonderful. I hope it grows and grows.

It's now been six days since I posted, five since I got out of bed and mightily approached the pile of hardware determined to get macho and do my own assembly. I managed it in ten minute stints punctuated by two-hour rests, but I did it! I am sitting at the new table right now.

One drawer was broken, but Alvin sent a replacement as soon as I reported it and that had a happy ending -- they sent a whole three-drawer unit as a replacement for one part in the drawer unit. So I put together the broken one with the other two and am taping the broken one to turn it into a spare set of drawers for small stuff. I certainly could use more drawers, and duct tape is good enough for something that'll probably get stuff stacked on it. The lid is what had a piece punched out in shipping.

The rest... my life is now less organized than when I started. Moving everything across the room from the corner I used to sit to this area is something I have to do gradually. I do not have beautiful studio photos yet. I will be lucky if I get to that point by end of April.

It was overoptimistic of me to think I'd get to doing Rainbow Bottles anytime soon, much as I want to. After assembly I paid the price of pretending I can do things other people can, and spent three days totally wiped and unable even to get the computer moved to the new table. Also wandering around huge stacks of stuff on the floor and sleeping with a pile of books in the bed.

Each day though I try to do something small to pick away at the mess, just find a good permanent place for something and do what I can. I got the books off the bed and about half the stuff off the floor stack. Karl wants his laundry basket back "sometime this week" so that is getting pushed to a higher priority even though it's easier to get around than the stuff on the floor.

It's worth it. It just takes patience. Spring cleaning is bigger than I had planned but it will all be worth it when it's done.

ElsieH
03-18-2009, 03:08 PM

Charlie: Congrats on the launching of The Pastel Guild of Europe!
Best Wishes for the young organization! :clap: :clap: :clap: :heart:

Robert: I do admire your spirit to keep doing some of the things and making progress! Others might have used health issues as an excuse for stopping making art, cleaning up, tackling the assembly of the desk/workstation. Do take care and keep up the efforts! A little art, a little cleaning, a little work, but remember to rest, too! :thumbsup: :clap:

This afternoon I paint! Moving along on my goals. March has been a learning month! :)

ElsieH
03-18-2009, 03:11 PM
:wave: Hi, again!

I just had a thought: This thread is our monthly goal post, just like in football, soccer etc. But, once the goals are posted, we all become cheerleaders to help each other meet our goals! :heart: :heart: :heart: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Three Cheers for Pastel! May the dust fly onto the paper and not in the air!:lol:

terri66
03-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Hi all,

It reads like everyone is picking away at their goals patiently. I managed to get my letter off to ECIAD and enter the juried show in June. I did one version of my Mom commission and wasn't quite happy with it and am about 1/2 through version 2. Flash photos as references for portraits are less than desirable.
I got a few suggestions from people about what to do while I'm in San Pedro, CA and I am quite excited about it. Only 4 more sleeps as my kids do their count down.
Take care and see you in April.

Judibelle
03-25-2009, 11:11 AM
Just 'checking in', as the end of the month is not far away!
Well, my goals were set low this month, and I can happily say, both have been accomplished!
The 'Swap.Buy Sell' program went well....I came home with a few treasures.
and I am finally getting back into the pastels, after quite a hiatus. Feels good, and I did a couple of sketches yesterday, one still-life, and one 'block study', going back to the Classes with Charlie. Starting slowly, but gaining momentum.
Still dabbling with watercolor studies, but nothing really to post there...just trying to gain a handle on doing a satisfactory watercolor sketch..did post a couple in the Scavenger Hunt recently, which felt good too...
Hopefully spring will be upon us soon, and I can get outside a bit. (It's still hitting less than 20 degrees at night!)
Hope the month has gone well for everydone...
JB

Dougwas
03-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Terri- If you can read this, I hope you are having a great time in San Pedro. I know the weather must be a little warmer.:rolleyes:

JB- It sounds like you are having a great month. More art treasures and more painting. I hope the weather improves for you. If it makes you feel any better, we had a light dusting of snow last night and still have snow on the ground. It's that ugly grey/brown snow. Pretty soon, you and I will be able to enjoy some spring weather.

Well, I haven't been doing a great job on my goals. The one thing I have done is keep up wth my course. I have been working on in almost daily and handed in my first assignment and got it back yesterday. 8.5 out of ten. I'll take it considering I have never used oils before.

I hope everyone is doing well with their goals.

Take care.

Doug

ElsieH
03-25-2009, 12:02 PM

Doug: Great! To even try something "outside your comfort zone" i.e. oils, you are doing well. Plus you have taken on the keeping us all moving along here in WC/Pastels-land! Thanks for All!:thumbsup:

My month is winding down with lots of accomplishments in the watercolor area and way too little in the pastel area! After my fall, a week ago and spending too much time with my left hand in an ace bandage and on ice packs, lots of stuff is waiting for me to do in art and in the rest of life...house is a terrible mess! Besides some pastel time, I have scheduled some "quality-time" with my vacuum cleaner!:lol:

My hand is almost back to normal!

I'm already thinking about my April goals planning: Hopefully some real en plein air will replace "en plein window" painting!:clap:

Colorix
03-25-2009, 02:28 PM
Hi, checking in, to see what everyone's been up to.

Elsie, thank you! The Pastel Guild is growing slowly, after a quick start. We're plodding on with stuff that has to be done. Mostly the others, as I've been busy.

I got two paintings ready for the difficult theme "faith", and that opening night was last Saturday. I suppose I make far two "sweet" paintings for getting juried into the national show (this was regional). But the exhibitioners made lots of new contacts, and we got the start of a network formed, which is great. I think the oddest piece of art I saw there was a cross made out of baby comforters (the thing they suck on, a rubber 'nipple' thing, isn't that a 'comforter'? What kind of "comfort" is there in that...) That er... installation, was more typically Swedish.

And for my own show, this coming weekend, I've just hung it all! (In spite of catching a bug in my stomach, and having a bit of a fever and not eaten in two days.) I put DH to work, and managed to not drive him insane with my perfectionism. Had to bite my tongue... :-D I'm so glad the venue was available early, as my most important goal is to *relax* on Friday. Have to open some framings and clean mats, but that is easy.

I so hope to sell a lot! Now, I'll print some postcard sized prints on printer enhanced Somerset cotton paper, so ppl who just visit but don't have funds can get a little pic of their favourite.

Off to make pricelists and rewrite my statement, so see ya'll later, when life gets back to normal again,

Charlie

ElsieH
03-26-2009, 01:28 AM
:wave: Hi, Charlie,

Good luck on the show! Hope the sales are good! Wish I could get there to see the show! What a great DH you have to help, in spite of your perfectionism....With us, Bob would be the perfectionist and I'd not get any hung to his satifaction! :lol: He's a math prof. and would get out all the measurment tools etc.

The baby comforter....Here in the USA we call them pacificiers. The favortie brand is called a "Binky" so they tend to all be called Binkys!
I just got my grandson, Ben, year old last Oct., a cute T-shirt that says:
"Just hand over the Binky and no one gets hurt!":lol:

Get over that stomach bug soon! You want to be well for that big show!:heart:

robertsloan2
03-29-2009, 03:26 AM
Good luck on your show, Charlie! Hope your sales are spectacular. I wish I could see it, hope you post some photos?

Those baby comforters are called Pacifiers in the USA, or were while I was growing up. Then in my daughter's generation they started being called Binkies. Binky was what it was called when she had one, now she called them that for Sascha and Gabriel. They do like them, it gives them something to gnaw on while their teeth are coming in. Gabriel especially liked to gum and gnaw on anything he could get into his mouth.

Congratulations on the new Pastel Guild too. Makes me dream of going to Europe or moving there someday of course.

Elsie, so that's how they got to be called Binky! Thank you! I just saw your post and "binky" confused me for the longest time. But I took Kitten's word for it that was what they were called.

My progress... sigh, in the past ten days all I've really managed to do is keep up with Daily Art. Some of it's been three minute gesture drawings of my cat, but I did manage to at least say hello to my sketchbook daily and I'm proud of hanging on to that.

No chance now that I'll get to Rainbow Bottles this month. It's too late in the month, even if I got a good day tomorrow and the weather suddenly cleared up to give me a whole string of good days, I still wouldn't finish it by end of month.

Spring Cleaning isn't going to be finished either, but I have gotten very far on it. I'm still waiting for a day good enough to attack that laundry basket full of things that need sorting and packing away or finding places for. There's a lot in there that needs to go into storage because I don't have places to display it, but I think this time I'm going to be firm about that and actually store it.

I bought way too many new art books to finish all of them and indulged again, so that goal is a manful attempt rather than completion. Still, I have read most of them through at least once and been so stimulated that's why I haven't gotten to the rest yet -- I stop to do things they give me ideas for! I even got the Claudia Nice compilation with ink and watercolor and had to do one of those for the WDE for today's daily art.

Hm. Partial goal on that. I have at least read a chapter or two in all of them? That counts!

I had better stick to Number Five and not beat myself up for all the partial successes. I did a whole lot with this month's ambitious goals and if I can just keep up Daily Art for today and two more days, I will have achieved that for an entire month.

I'd like to keep that on my goals list because it's been good for me pushing myself to do something even on the worst days. My reward of course is that once my check comes, I'll get to do a Blick order -- this time going for Pan Pastels and more Sofft tools and Wallis paper so that I can try some of the cool things in the Deborah Secor DVD.

All right... with three days to go, maybe I can amend the goal to finish Rainbow Bottles to try to begin Rainbow Bottles within this month. I may well be getting somewhere with it in April.

But either way, I'm very proud of keeping up with Daily Art and getting some new pages onto my oil pastels site. I'll keep April's goals very simple and see if that helps -- spring still isn't over and I know the weather's going to keep knocking me over.

Judibelle
03-29-2009, 08:37 AM
Charlie....Hope the show went well....!Hope you sold a bunch!
Robert....:clap: You did well!
I did get a couple of still lifes done, this past week. Now thinkng about what next month's goals will be...
JB

Colorix
03-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Hi guys! Thank you for the good wishes!

It went OK, sold some, not as much as I hoped for, and so far slightly less than my previous shows. Seems I've saturated the friends-and-acquaintances market... Though, Doggie went to a new home! A proud granma (a hip Tina Turner type of grandma) got it for her 9 year old granddaughter. Perfect, IMHO! And we were two artists (51 paintings together), and she also made sales. In all, it was great fun, once I started to feel better from my tummy-trouble I had when hanging the dang thing.

There usually trickles in a couple more sales, from ppl who have gone home and spent a sleepless night beating themselves up for not buying, and they are soooo relieved when they call and their favo is still available!

And, the show was in some "parish rooms" belonging to a church, and the vicar/parish priest/whatever/big boss decided that he wanted the paintings to hang over Easter, so I said Sure! This church happens to serve (service?) the French speaking diplomatic community too, and they'll have a 'thing' there next Sunday, with religious formation for kids, but may not be as many ppl as usual, as school holiday's will have started. Still, sounds great.

Pictures.... Brought camera, shot no pics of crowds, or me. Only pics I have is of the paintings on the walls. There were lots of ppl there today. It took me two hours to eat one sandwich, bite by bite.

Tried a new thing you may find interesting: Got meself some Somerset enhanced printing paper (100% cotton), printed postcard sized prints of my paintings, and sold them for $2.50 (no envelopes, no backside print) and they sold to ppl who'd not buy a painting anyway. I made a tidy little heap of cash from those, about $ 90. Amazing. Next time, I'll print my contact info discreetly, like my url. Oh, forgot, in my currency, it was "one for 20, or 6 for a 100", and several ppl did get the bargain!

And, I had "one of those" customers... LOL! Man knows Hubby, and at a previous show, the Man sneeringly commented about one of my landscapes: "but there are not as many trees in that location as you've painted". Weeellll.... I simply smiled serenely then. For some obscure reason, they came to this show too, and and I suddenly happened to be *very* busy with somebody else, so Hubby talked to the Man (and wife and adult daughter). Man said he wanted a painting, and a better price. Hubby, the dear and beloved (still), said he could get the painting at regular price plus a couple of cards thrown in, but the Man insisted on a price, so Hubby hunts me up and asks. I hesitated, but said yes, as I didn't think that painting would appeal much to anybody else... [grin] If I had been talking to the Man myself, I'd said "no, I'm not in habit of lowering the value of my work, are you?", and I'd rather lost the deal. But, as I didn't want to make things difficult for Hubby, I said yes. That Man really needs a red Ferrari, if you get my meaning.

Charlie

Dougwas
03-30-2009, 04:29 PM
Elsie- I happy to hear you are all better from your fall. And don't spend too much time with that vacuum cleaner. Have fun with all your art projects you have going.

Robert- Do what you can do. I think I know how you feel. You and I are alike in keeping involved in art in any way we can. Read an art book, watch an art DVD, sketch for a few minuntes. Just keep it up Robert and remember you have a support group here.

Charlie- It sounds like your show was very successful.:thumbsup: Darn!!! You have to leave your paintings hanging for more people to see. Hope you get more sales. The "Man" is very lucky to own one of you paintings, but he is obviously a big fan of yours. I think now that he has had a taste of your work, when he shows up at your next show you should make him pay the posted price. If he wants to buy more than one, then a deal might be considered. Just my two cents worth. Just don't let him get under your skin. Leave the emotions out of it. You are worth every penny you can get. Good luck.

I just spent two hours watching my course DVD and cleaning up my painting area. I am all ready to start painting again tomorrow. More mixing and matching of complementary colours. I still haven't touched my pastels for a while. I haven't been having too many good days so I have to pick my spots and right now the colour theory course is my number one priority. So, I guess I didn't do too well with my goals this month, but I am ready to give it heck next month.

Doug

Judibelle
03-30-2009, 06:08 PM
Hi Doug...sorry to hear you are not having many 'good days' yet...hope things improve soon. Glad to hear you're still getting your color theory course done, at least...
Charlie...glad to hear you sold some...hope by the time it's done you've sold many! Sounds like the whole thing was a success anyway...Love the story about 'T...he Man'
Looking forward to April in more ways than one! I'm so tired of winter, and we havent even had the peepers yet.....The nights are still down in the 30's....
JB

Dougwas
03-30-2009, 06:25 PM
Hi JB. I always tell myself things could be alot worse. One day at a time.:) I understand you being tired of winter. We still have snow on the ground.:mad: Most of it has melted, but there is still quite a bit in the parts of the yard that doesn't get much sun. It's been a long winter and we are sure looking forward to spring.

Take care. I hope you get some time for painting.

Doug

robertsloan2
03-30-2009, 09:51 PM
Congratulations on keeping up, Doug! You've been hanging on through bad days the same as I do, and it's great that you're still keeping up with the course. I've run into that need to prioritize too.

Charlie, that's great some of your work sold at the show, but rough about The Man getting a bargain on one of your paintings. I'll bet your view looked better than the real one if you put more trees than there are now. Wish I had the budget and health to go winging over to Sweden and just stroll through to take my pick of what's left.

Today I finally got to the softies but got distracted by Deborah Secor's DVD so started a different pastel painting. When in doubt, start another unfinished WIP, of course.

Spring Cleaning Continues.

Daily art, I'm now only one day short of a perfect month for daily art, did something even on my sickest sick days. OK some were sleeping cat sketches, but every one of them was an actual artwork of some kind.

I don't want to start Rainbow Bottles yet, procrastinated too long and couldn't finish it this month anyway.

Still short of reading all the new art books but read some of the Carlson book today. Definitely enjoyed the Deborah Secor DVD and started Waves on Rocks to try her methods.

I have been sensibly resting when I need to, so I'm three out of five for goals. I think next month with the spring weather still being that nasty, I'm going to tone down the list.

Colorix
03-31-2009, 10:04 AM
Rob and Doug, you're doing great. One has to take care of oneself, and pace oneself.

More on "the Man"
Rob, there *were* oodles of trees at that location. It is a small road through an ancient village, and the road has rows of trees on both sides, like a boulevard, and has had the trees there for at least 2 centuries... the Man was plain wrong.

I delivered to him today, and he allowed me into his office in the poshest part of the city (his room was a tiny thing with space for a desk and two chairs, and you had to suck in your stomach in order to turn around...). Nice enough greeting, and this time he didn't try to crush my hand, as I'd snatched it away the other day. One comment is worthy of mentioning... I said I was delivering to my customers and he raised his eyebrows and said: "Did you really get anything more sold?" I grinned widely at him and said: "Naturally I sold -- (pause) [my eyebrow went up in a "how can you be so dumb "] -- I always do sell a lot. I have several collectors already as people love colour and light." The Man looked a tad disappointed, and started to show the view from his window, overlooking posh street. I'm proud to say I treated him in a very professional way, warmly, friendly, and firm, asked him to give my regards to wife and daughter. In the elevator on my way out I made fun of him.... LOL!

OK, Goals. I made my goals this month! Well, *had* to.

Remember the other show, where I had two paintings? Juried thing, me hoping to make it? I didn't, I'm not disappointed, and I'd totally expected to not make it, as I'm a one woman revolution insisting on painting and trying to paint beautifully. The theme was "Faith", and one of the works they did pick was an "installation" of some twigs nailed to some wood. There was also toilet paper (sheets) and paper towels nailed to the board, and a text was glued to the middle of this talking about how we humans destroy nature and kill woods, and need to be environmentalists. Not a word about faith in church context... not even humans destroying God's creation or some other vague ref, no, it was purely "anarcho-green". The motivation for selecting that work was "it raises questions". I couldn't agree more.... LOL!

However, just to paint a picture of the artistic environment I'm surrounded by: The Art Mob would not regard that chosen work as a real piece of art, as the toilet paper was clean and not used for its purpose before nailed to the wood. There was also no other bodily fluids on it, elevating it to art.

Think I'm joking? Unfortunately not. The 'hottest' exhibition in town right now are blocks of human manure gathered and dried out in India under the supervision of the artist, transported to Sweden, and exhibited.

Ordinary people like my work, and I want to paint what ordinary people would want to have on their ordinary livingroom walls. I luuuv normal!

In fact, I'm going to start a blog about art for ordinary normal people! In Swedish, to give Swedes *some* relief from from the bull.

[stepping off soapbox]

I guess you guys may have something similar in NY.

Charlie

Judibelle
03-31-2009, 10:17 AM
Charlie...love the continuation of 'The Man' story....sounds like he weas disappointed he hadnt 'discovered' you...LOL
as for the 'Faith' offerings, I can only say it is amazing to me what some people consider 'art'. All in the eyes of the beholder, I guess. But Oh MY!
LOL
JB

robertsloan2
03-31-2009, 07:27 PM
Charlie, thanks for that wonderful story!

LOL -- I am actually a good old pagan environmentalist -- and I would not have enjoyed that installation or seen any faith element in it, more just some shock value playing off a Christian symbol and reference to scat. There's always some shock artist who thinks they invented something by picking a dirty word as a theme, whatever they chose.

It's not even the theme. It's the cheap shot. I could paint something about faith and environmentalism and saving the planet -- and if I succeeded, you, a Christian, would catch your breath and feel the sacred in nature and see it through the filter of your religion, you'd see God's hand in it and I'd see Goddess but in a painting, that beauty and that truth goes beyond all dogmas.

I would lay odds that even if you got silly and picked up a theme of "excrement" you would wind up creating a beautiful painting -- you'd put a cowpat into a farm scene and remind people of what food is and where it comes from, you'd bring back innocent jokes about stepping in cowpats.

I agree you're a one woman revolution, one that is in its time. I am seeing more and more over the past couple of decades that people are returning to paintings that look good in your home or your church or your grand gathering place. Paintings that bring people out of the gray doldrums and remind them that there's beauty in life.

We're using materials half of which didn't exist a century ago. We're painting things with techniques that are new, tools that are new, methods and ideas that are new... and a gag like you described doesn't actually break ground to me, it doesn't say something new.

I would ordinarily shy away from thinking of myself as in any way "normal." I'm so not normal. I never wanted to be normal. I'm way out on the fringes of the weird.

But you know, you've just posted a little rant that makes me laugh at myself because by your criteria, I just wound up in the range of the normal and the ordinary! Yep, me the ultimate weirdo, just a normal bloke.

I'm happy. You gave me a good laugh with that and a deeper appreciation of the normal and the ordinary. May the best of it always go on thinking of itself as special -- people that happy in life are whether they think it's ordinary or not.

I too want to paint for normal people who want a painting of something they love that's made well and shines with beauty. Right on for the ordinary tastes of people who know they love cats or trees or snow or the people they love. Or tasty fruits, there's a lot to be said for cool objects that are beautiful in themselves like glass and lace and flowers.

(End rantlet)

Now for the wrap-up on this month's goals, this being the last day:

1) Finish Spring Cleaning. Partial success. I got the furniture assembled and picked away at it even today, things are easier to get at. Carry this one forward till it's done but rephrase it to Work On Finishing Spring Cleaning for April.

2) Daily Art. I did it! Yes! Today, the last day of the month, I finished up Waves On Rocks, a serious pastel painting. That completes a no-days-missed month of Daily Art. I'm very proud. Managing that with the easy loose sketches on sick days took tremendous effort, and I'm doing that again in April. Similar blog challenge in the artsomofo group on Livejournal.

3) Rainbow Bottles painting and maybe Fehu... bombed on this one. Didn't make it. Try again. Rephrase it to Work On Class Assignments so if I do something toward it but don't manage to finish I can still check it off in April. I think I actually needed some rumination time on it.

4) Read new art books and watch Deborah Secor DVD. Most of them anyway! I'm on chapter 5 of Carlson's Landscape Guide and it's slowed me up for some of the others. Scale this one back, rephrase and carry it forward as Enjoy my new art books and spend time reading one every week. Putting a hard deadline on it like it's a college assignment is unnecessary stress -- I'm enjoying reading Carlson that slowly and it makes sense to me because of that. I'm not just skimming and parroting but understanding it.

5) Rest when needed and reward myself rather than beat myself up. More or less successful. Successful today anyway, I'm very proud of Daily Art this month!

6) Work on my OP site. Yes, success. I added some new pages in March even though I was sick and there weren't as many. I will carry this one forward too in exactly its vague form.

My April goals will be the same ones all rephrased to keep them sane, except for Daily Art. I did it in March and I can do it again in April. If I manage to keep up during April, I may keep it as a permanent habit -- it would be very good for my artistic growth even if sometimes it's just a doodle.

Colorix
04-01-2009, 07:09 AM
Rob, you're doing great on your goals! Carlson simply has to be read slowly, as his text is such a pleasure to read. And as it is rather philosophical, too.

I've never been anything near "normal", I was a "nerd" and a "geek" already in the cradle. But, these days, people don't ask if you're a "geek", they ask what *kind* of geek you are. So "normal" is becoming rare and revolutionary!

I've avoided to paint anything typical "Christian". It so easily becomes kitsch, which I did prove when painting the "faith" stuff. I just grabbed the chance to be exhibited.

And of course we humans of any denomination or none have to take care of our home -- our planet -- and tend it well and not pollute it, and work *with* nature.

I'm re-reading Tolkien's Ring, and I do think that the Hobbits are Tolkien's declaration of love for the very down-to-earth ordinary people, who are very loveable in spite of being small fools so very often, and occasionally rising to grandeur.

The Man again: I so wish I'd had the presence of mind and body to do the following: When he asked Hubby for a better price "for old friendship's sake", I should have -- and I assure you I could have had I only been present when it was uttered -- said, to the Man, in front of his wife and daughter: "But, LoverBoy, I thought we'd agreed to keep it secret from our spouses!" ;-D
Gah, he certainly couldn't claim any old friendship with me, and to have the stomach to demand it as if I was Hubby's property, and my work belonging to Hubby! OK, I'll admit it, I'm a tad miffed. :-D

Charlie

robertsloan2
04-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Oh yeah. That's really something. There are always people who do that no matter what a person's profession is -- who want to get free dentistry or discounts from the dentist they know, free legal advice from the lawyer friend even if it involves research, a free exam if they know a doctor, free food if someone's a farmer. It's annoying when it happens.

But when it gets applied to someone's spouse as if your hubby made all your business decisions I can see why you saw red. Yeesh.

You had a good line there, wish you'd had the chance to use it. lol