PDA

View Full Version : March 2009 Oil Pastel Challenge

Beautiful_Butterflies_Studio
02-28-2009, 09:18 AM
Welcome to the March 2009 Oil Pastel Challenge

Everyone is welcome, even if you are new to oil pastels, to take one or both of the reference images below and paint your interpretation of it (them). You can crop, manipulate, alter the format etc., just use the references as inspiration for a painting and then post the results here for viewing.

Please include the kind of support (type, brand, weight) used, brand or brands of OP used, and the size of the painting and any other informtion about special techniques you might have used. Any other comments welcome.

The reference images are:

Puppy Love:heart:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2009/89438-345993462lYGZxr_ph.jpg

Sunset across the water
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2009/89438-153098846PNqeMW_ph.jpg

I hope you enjoy these and please come on in and have some fun!!!!!:thumbsup:

Pat Isaac
02-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Hi Stacey,
The thread is stuck. Thanks for hosting this month and that puppy is sooooo cute.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
02-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Stacey, two lovely and very different refs. I LOVE the color in the boat picture and the puppy is adorable.

I'm so far behind on my challenges it seems all I get done is to start them and then the month is gone before I can finish.

Thanks so much for stepping in on short notice and hosting the challenge. We missed seeing you for a while and are so glad you are back!:wave:

Many thanks.

Bill:heart: :music: :music: :heart:

robertsloan2
02-28-2009, 01:57 PM
Stacey, thanks for hosting this month! Your sunset reference is so inspiring, it looks like I'll be able to play with a few new colors in my bigger Neopastels set with some intensity! The puppy is cute and challenging because he's so pale, doing him is almost going to be like finding the soft value transitions in a white subject.

This one's going to be fun.

I'm more of a cat person, but I just had a good idea for the puppy because of his expression -- I could combine him with a cat reference if I can find just the right one, he's got such a "Please?" look pawing the bowl, like he's asking for something. So if I put a cat's flank under his paw it turns into "Please be my friend" and find a cat that's just lookng up and over in that direction, or combine several cat references to create that.

It could be a big challenge if I have to create the cat's pose from memory. My cat actually likes our dog now since we got her as a puppy and she grew up with Ari around. Some of her expressions when she was little and trying to get Ari to like her reminded me of this one -- that's pretty much what gave me the idea. I think I want to capture the point the cat realizes this animal is not a threat but a playmate.

PiscesWoman
02-28-2009, 05:54 PM
Hi All

I am a newbie to WC and finally decided to join. I'm going to try doing your challenge for the month. Thought I would give the puppy a go. My art teachers all seem to have been a bit fearful of OPs but I am determined. Don't expect anything too flash to start with. I hope to get better as I go along.

Karen

Pat Isaac
02-28-2009, 05:58 PM
Welcome, Karen and we look forward to your contribution....I am surprised about the fearfulness of the art teachers, but have fun. We are a great bunch here and very helpful....:wave:

Pat

Barbara WC
02-28-2009, 06:52 PM
Karen- Welcome! This will also be my first go at the oil pastel monthly challenge, so we'll be in the same boat! I've only been playing with OP's a couple of months and still have a lot to learn.

Maybe your instructors are fearful of oil pastels because they haven't worked with them and are afraid you'll ask questions they can't answer! The people here are really helpful, so be sure to ask any questions in the oil pastel talk section.

Looking forward to this challenge, thanks for the beautiful reference photos Stacey.

Barbara

truck driver
02-28-2009, 09:07 PM
hmm sunset with water and boat, sunset reflects in water boat doesnt, little strip of indiscrimant land. Lets see. Start with the sun beat the greys and oranges into submission add land, add water.. add reflections.. move boat from center of picture to the right, draw boat... finished.. I will see if I can get this one done this month..

RG

Scarefishcrow
02-28-2009, 09:12 PM
Hi All

I am a newbie to WC and finally decided to join. I'm going to try doing your challenge for the month. Thought I would give the puppy a go. My art teachers all seem to have been a bit fearful of OPs but I am determined. Don't expect anything too flash to start with. I hope to get better as I go along.

Karen

Welcome, Karen.:wave:
Welcome to the Oil Pastel (OP) Channel.

Just to help you get oriented to this place, click on the link in my signature line called <IMPORTANT INFO> (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7172380&postcount=1) and it will take you to a thread that contains links and overviews of all the subforums in this Channel and what is in each one. There are also links to basic OP info and guidelines about posting, critiques, etc.

The following link contains an annotated list of links by topic discussed for recent threads that deal with issues commonly asked by people starting out in OP. Looking through those with give you some additional insight into materials, techniques and various issues dealing with OP:

<Index Thread> (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540432)

That should save you some time searching around.

This place is great because many of us are also relatively new and there are people from beginners like you to professionals and everyone tries to help everyone else.

If you have any questions, just start a thread in the OP Talk forum and ask away. In the OP Talk forum is a weekly thread called the Oil Gusher which is a "no topic" thread where people can just say hi and catch up on what going on or just meet folks.

So if there is any way we can help, we will do our best to help you out.

We are glad you decided to give OP a chance and see what you can do with it. Lots of new people and lots of folks willing to help out.

Look forward to seeing your work around the forum!!

Welcome aboard!

Bill:clap:

02-28-2009, 10:05 PM
THANKYOU and WELCOME Pat, Bill, Robert, Karen, Barbara, and RG

I am excited that you like the references, as I was really unsure about them....:rolleyes:

Anyway, let those pastels fly!!!!:clap: :wave:

eyepaint
02-28-2009, 10:12 PM
Stacey - that puppy is ADORABLE!! :) :) :) Will see what I can do ...

truck driver
02-28-2009, 11:32 PM
Well, I know where the Senneliers are, and I found the Arches watercolor paper, I know where my pencils are, I know where my brushes are, I know where my color shapers are.. but where oh where, Is the one thing I have been dying to try for over a year. I bought some, when I got my watercolors, and brushes, and gum arabic, and iridescent medium, and masking fluid, and the winsor and newton watercolor paper, it is here but I cant seem to find it so I cant do the sunset tonight it will have to wait. I am confident I can pull this one off, confident enough to reach for the very best o.p. support I have.. but it seems to be hiding... so just as soon as I find the Wallis Sanded pad, I will get to work on this....

RG

robertsloan2
02-28-2009, 11:35 PM
I started early. Here is the puppy photo, sketched from the negative space. I had an easy time sketching the plants around the puppy. It's the dog and the bowl that might give me some trouble. Pentel on ProArt sketchbook paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2009/70184-PuppySketch.jpg

And here's the finished first study of the puppy, Pentel again. I think it helped drawing the background first but I can still see where I could do better on the proportions.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2009/70184-PuppyStudy1.jpg

I left off the food bowl even though that would've been pretty easy. I just wanted to see how it'd turn out doing it this way and doing it loose before trying anything more elaborate. At least this is recognizably canine and did not come out as a deformed kitten!

03-01-2009, 06:19 AM
Robert, this is FANTASTIC study, LOVE the way you used the negative space to "draw" the puppy. What colours did you use in the coat, as they look fantastic!!!

RG, hope you fined the wallis soon, looking forward to seeing this develop!

EP, isn't he cute!!!!!! Just can't resist a cutie like this!!!!!

I have yet to start, but will have before the end of the week!!!!

robertsloan2
03-01-2009, 08:26 AM
Robert, this is FANTASTIC study, LOVE the way you used the negative space to "draw" the puppy. What colours did you use in the coat, as they look fantastic!!!

RG, hope you fined the wallis soon, looking forward to seeing this develop!

EP, isn't he cute!!!!!! Just can't resist a cutie like this!!!!!

I have yet to start, but will have before the end of the week!!!!

Thank you! I started with Ochre, then put in some Pale Brown, then decided I needed some grays so went with No. 4 gray and No. 2 gray. I needed the browner golden areas to be redder and darker so I went in with Indian Red, a label that was hard to read as the color name is printed over the dark spot on the label.

I used a little Van Dyck brown too. I went in with some Yellow Gray but it looked greenish so I put some burnt sienna over that.

Start seeing a pattern? I was using all the earth tones and using them very lightly to get the values right, adjusting hue with warmer and colder sticks within the earth tones range. Then I went in with Black on the nose and eye, after establishing the eye with Indian Red and nose with grays. Then more of the No. 2 gray on top of the black for the highlight on the nose and some grays and browns for the whisker root lines.

I burnished everything with white going heavily but still in the direction of the fur, then went back to all my earth tones and started touching them up. I repeated both layers where the shapes of lights and darks were off, pressing hard with white to lighten areas that became too dark.

I did get the face altogether too dark but when I work a little larger that won't be a problem, it was the result of too many layered experiments. The study was more an experiment than a polished painting -- but it showed me what colors to use and how to blend them up to the right value as well as the right hue.

If I went back to this puppy with Holbeins and had lighter values in Burnt Sienna and Yellow Ochre and the dark brown, I might get the same blends back and forth using the No-Color grays for grays.

At the end I went in with the lightest green, a pale mint green, and added it to some reflections upward from the grass onto the puppy's leg and a shadow of fur that would catch the light, then touched here and there into the grayer shadows with the lightest blue to jazz it up a bit.

Then I picked up a yellow-green and scribbled that over the grass and plants to liven them up with light values as well as dark and provide hue shifts from the mid and bluish dark greens I used at first, so that balanced them but kept a lot of the white specks.

In a larger more layered version I might layer a dark gray under the muzzle and lighten over it to pick out dark specks in a row for whisker roots, then use sgraffito for the actual whiskers using a white underbase except in the line of whisker roots. Also layer light under the eyelids and then scrape them out with the scraper. This was a quick color study to understand where the areas of light and dark, the areas of redder, more yellow and bluer shadowing were and the puppy's anatomy.

His head looks smaller than it did in the negative space drawing because I think the dark background blended in with the muzzle a little and I lost a highlight to line thickness. Also his back expanded a little making his body a line width too big for his head -- I can see comparing to the photo that this sketch is an approximation and not perfect.

Also that I could sketch him more carefully in Col-Erase before going in with the Holbeins, Erengi or Neopastels to do the same thing. I think if I had the larger Neopastels set I might go for those. It's lacking some light neutrals I'd want even if I had to lighten them again with white.

Eh, it won't break my heart if I go picking up the bigger Neopastels set sooner rather than later, like next month. I still haven't decided what to do with the stimulus. It's a thought. It's not like I won't use up every Neopastel that I own.

Besides, once they wear down and lose their labels I will have to just sort the bits n pieces into "artist grade" vs. "student" by hue.

Scarefishcrow
03-01-2009, 10:07 AM
Great sketch, Robert. But I think he misses his bowl!!!:lol:

Pat Isaac
03-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Nice little sketch, Robert and I like the colors you have.

Pat

oldrockchick
03-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Ouch - I can't decide.....I love the colours in the seascaoe, and I have drawn lots of boats, but the puppy is so cute.

It's gonna take me most of the month to decide lol

Shirl Parker
03-01-2009, 02:28 PM
Great photo references, Stacey.

Scarefishcrow
03-01-2009, 02:54 PM
Ouch - I can't decide.....I love the colours in the seascaoe, and I have drawn lots of boats, but the puppy is so cute.

It's gonna take me most of the month to decide lol

ORC- Easy solution. Do both while you are trying to decide!!!!

Bill:wave:

truck driver
03-01-2009, 04:31 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Mar-2009/136518-boat_1st_layer.jpg

O.k. got started 1st layer done, planning on using a whole lot of layers expeccially in the sky to take advantage of this surfaces abilities, and well thats the way skys look best.. again water... lots of layers.. not worried about boat details, or even land what you see is just sorta a place keeper..

RG

Pat Isaac
03-01-2009, 04:38 PM
RG, great start and I already love that sky.

Pat

gakinme
03-01-2009, 05:18 PM
Here is my piece. Purple gel paper, 9x12 inch, cray pas junior and pentel op's.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Mar-2009/86669-op_sunset.JPG

Pat Isaac
03-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Wow, just wonderful color!!! What is gel paper?

Pat

gakinme
03-01-2009, 05:52 PM
Thank you, Pat. I should have written it as paper for gel pen. Colored paper similar to construction paper but tiny bit smoother.

truck driver
03-01-2009, 06:17 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Mar-2009/136518-boat2.jpg

O.k. second layer done, increased the size of the boat a bit, worked on the waves i the water some added some orange to the sky, you can see how this is building. Which was the point in showing the layering and stages. For some of the people who are new to OP. Next layer will continue to build depth in the sky, and water..

RG

Scarefishcrow
03-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Sandra, great go at the boat and sunset! And interesting paper, too.

RG.. Looking good. Watching to see if any Blue Flowers are on the boat!:evil:

truck driver
03-02-2009, 12:25 AM
Sandra, great go at the boat and sunset! And interesting paper, too.

RG.. Looking good. Watching to see if any Blue Flowers are on the boat!:evil:

nope blue flowers on boat... not on my boat anyway.. I can draw you a pretty blue flower if that will make you feel better though.. or paint one, or do one in op, or oil pencil or colored pencil.... take your pick..

RG

03-02-2009, 05:24 AM
Robert - THANKYOU for the information, very GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!

ORC - like already said, if ya can't decide, then do both!!!:lol: :lol:

Shirl - THANKYOU

RG - WOWser what an amazing start, LOVE the colours and richness that this is getting!!!

Gakinme - FANTASTIC painting, LOVE the colours that you used in the sky, but I LOOOOOVE that water, so yummie!!!!!

Toshiko Tanimoto
03-02-2009, 09:06 AM
Puppy love:
Hi,Stacy,I've selected this lovely pic.And I've got new OP today!!!:clap:
I found Holbein's 15 colors.It's very smooth making surface of works.
Look it please!I've much enjoyed painting.
Paper:pale green colored paper(uising for printing)9.212inch

http://wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-mar-2009/171954-wc03-3.jpg

Pat Isaac
03-02-2009, 09:33 AM
Lovely painting, Tosh and good strong color. Glad you found some Holbeins and like them. Have fun painting.

Pat

Shirl Parker
03-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Your puppy looks like it could grow up to look like my photo for the acrylic challenge this month

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2009/89438-345993462lYGZxr_ph.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2009/113427-Hannah.JPG

Scarefishcrow
03-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Tosh, Congrats on the Holbeins. Great job on the puppy!

Bill:thumbsup:

robertsloan2
03-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Wow, so many good ones.

Toshi, your puppy is great and you actually gave him some food. I'm planning on having him pawing a cat's butt.

RG -- thanks for showing your stages. It's cool how you're doing this, I love seeing stages of other artists' work. The leap from first to second stage is very dramatic.

Sandra, I commented on yours in the sketch thread too and it is beautiful. You captured all the rich colors of the reference.

Firehorse-australia, glad I could help.

gakinme
03-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Nice rendition, Tosh. The paw really made him cute.

Thank you, Pat, Stacey, Robert and Bill for your comment. Appreciate it.

03-02-2009, 11:18 PM
Tosh - LOOOOOOOOVE this painting, you have given the little man soooooo much character!!!!!!!

Shirl - will you do both??????

Shirl Parker
03-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Maybe?

Scarefishcrow
03-03-2009, 06:31 PM
Maybe?

My money says one, if we are lucky!!:evil: :evil: :evil: :eek:

Hi Shirl!:wave:

Pat Isaac
03-03-2009, 06:50 PM
ooooh, are you putting out a challenge? :eek: ....be careful.:evil: ..Love the dog Shirl..

Pat

painterly_peg
03-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Hi :wave:
I'm new to oil pastel. Infact This is my first oil pastel. I've had my oil pastels for a very long time but I only used them to use on other mediums, never a full painting or drawing whichever you call it.
I do use other mediums but saw your forum so I decided to give it a try.
How did I do? Critiques or comments welcome.
Nice to meet you all.
Sorry, I cannot remember who's reference this is but thank you for letting me use it.
This is oil pastel on vellum. 7x9".
Peg

Pat Isaac
03-03-2009, 07:37 PM
Hi Peg and welcome to the forum....:wave: This is a very nice first OP. You have nice strong color and a good interpretation of the puppy. I might suggest not using lines to define shapes, but values.
What kind of OPs did you use and what is the paper?

Hope to see you here more often.

Pat

Irene Prior
03-03-2009, 09:50 PM
I haven't drawn in oil pastels in a rather long time, so I thought I'd give the OP Challenge a try.

Sennelier OP; Fabriano pastel paper 8.25 x 11.75

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Mar-2009/31201-puppy.jpg

Irene:wave: :wave:

Scarefishcrow
03-03-2009, 10:32 PM
Peg AND Irene, :wave:

I think both of your paintings are well done for a first full work in Oil Pastel (OP) or at least the first in a long time!

Irene it woult be nice to see a slightly larger image to see some of the details.

Both use the color well and we are glad you decided to give the challenge a whirl.

Just to help you get oriented to this place, click on the link in my signature line called <IMPORTANT INFO> (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7172380&postcount=1) and it will take you to a thread that contains links and overviews of all the subforums in this Channel and what is in each one. There are also links to basic OP info and guidelines about posting, critiques, etc.

The following link contains an annotated list of links by topic discussed for recent threads that deal with issues commonly asked by people starting out in OP. Looking through those with give you some additional insight into materials, techniques and various issues dealing with OP:

This place is great because many of us are also relatively new and there are people from beginners like you to professionals and everyone tries to help everyone else.

If you have any questions, just start a thread in the OP Talk forum and ask away. In the OP Talk forum is a weekly thread called the Oil Gusher which is a "no topic" thread where people can just say hi and catch up on what going on or just meet folks.

Welcome aboard!

Scarefishcrow
03-03-2009, 11:38 PM
Well, this is my initial take on the Puppy. I cropped close and focused on the head. Image smucded somewhat when I scanned it and I muddied some of the background by the nose trying to get the proportions right. Anyway, this is my study done with CD Neopastels on Frederix 8.5 x 11 Canvas Pad, no special preparation. Some detail added via sgrafitto. When sets hope to clean up some of the muddied background and rework it.
C&C welcome.

Note: Contrast a bit higher in image than IRL!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Mar-2009/108067-Pup.jpg

Closer to IRL:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Mar-2009/108067-pup2.jpg
Thanks for looking.

Irene Prior
03-04-2009, 01:01 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Mar-2009/31201-puppy-wc.jpg

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the welcome and information. Here is a larger image of my OP.
Thanks for looking.

Irene

Scarefishcrow
03-04-2009, 01:17 AM
Thanks, Irene. You are off to a great start and we look forward to seeing you and your work around.

Thanks for sharing with us!

oldrockchick
03-04-2009, 06:31 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2009/179312-WC_OP_Mar_-_Sunset_1.jpgThank you Firehorse for such nice ref pics this month I will try both.

Here is the start of my sunset. I just couldn't resist the colours. I have moved the boat, I wasn't happy with it being so central.

Various pastels on black card A4 size.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2009/179312-WC_OP_Mar_Sunset_2.jpg

Pat Isaac
03-04-2009, 06:39 AM
Welcome to the OP forum, Irene....:wave: Glad to see you give our challenge a try..nice color on your painting and thanks for the larger photo.
Nice expression on the pup, Bill. Great eye.
Good start ORC..

Pat

03-04-2009, 07:21 AM
My money says one, if we are lucky!!:evil: :evil: :evil: :eek:

Hi Shirl!:wave:

ROFL, but seriously.... PLEASE join in!!!!!:wave: :cat:

03-04-2009, 07:23 AM
Peg this is FANTASTIC, LOVE the colours of the coat and you have captured that gorgeous expression perfectly!!!!!

03-04-2009, 07:27 AM
Irene - WOW, what a cutie pie, VERY NICE colours and the fur is fantastic!!!!

Bill - VERY NICE start, LOVE the colours that you are using thus far.... looking forward to the next stage!!!!!

ORC - LOVE this start.... the black paper really makes this mysterious and haunted, can't wait for the next installment.

Everyone is putting me to shame, I havn't had a chance to start yet, but I will!!!!!! PROMISE!!!!! :lol:

oldrockchick
03-04-2009, 08:16 AM
It's finished. Only took me a couple of hours and I'm off into the back room to do another glaze on my oil painting now.

The scan makes it look a LOT darker than it actually is.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2009/179312-WC_OP_Mar_Sunset_3.jpg

Gallery, Rowney and other student grade pastels with a hint of Sennelier irridescents on black A4 card.

Scarefishcrow
03-04-2009, 10:09 AM
It's finished. Only took me a couple of hours and I'm off into the back room to do another glaze on my oil painting now.
It was a couple of hours WELL spent, ORC. You have certainly taken to the OP medium with a great energy and colour sensitivity.

The scan makes it look a LOT darker than it actually is.
I can't ever get the "real" image. It seems to either look MUCH BETTER than IRL or MUCH WORSE; never what my eye sees!:lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2009/179312-WC_OP_Mar_Sunset_3.jpg

Gallery, Rowney and other student grade pastels with a hint of Sennelier irridescents on black A4 card.

ORC, I love your tagline. Everyone here is on the same journey, we are all scattered various distances down the road! You have definitely passed a few milemarkers and no matter how much we learn, the beauty of art is there is always another challenge ahead!

You have handled this with great skill. The color blending is excellent and I find scenes like this so beautiful but difficult to truly capture as you have.

The only tiny suggestion I might make is that the two round protrusions from the cloud in front of the sun look like a pair of "eyes". I would make them less obvious.

BTW, Thanks for the progress shots. They are ALWAYS valuable and at least you remembered to go back and upload the pics. Some of us occasionally have to be reminded!:lol:

robertsloan2
03-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Irene, this is gorgeous! I love your showing the stages on the way to completion too. While it does look dark, it has a wonderful atmospheric feeling. Bill's point about the shape of the cloud drifting across the sun could be fixed if you connect the two bumps with a third one that bubbles up between them a little taller.

robertsloan2
03-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Welcome to the March 2009 Oil Pastel Challenge

Everyone is welcome, even if you are new to oil pastels, to take one or both of the reference images below and paint your interpretation of it (them). You can crop, manipulate, alter the format etc., just use the references as inspiration for a painting and then post the results here for viewing.

Please include the kind of support (type, brand, weight) used, brand or brands of OP used, and the size of the painting and any other informtion about special techniques you might have used. Any other comments welcome.

The reference images are:

Sunset across the water
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2009/89438-153098846PNqeMW_ph.jpg

I hope you enjoy these and please come on in and have some fun!!!!!:thumbsup:

I quoted the first post to have the references handy, hope I'm not the only one who thinks this is convenient!

Here's my sketch of the sunset, done in sky blue Col-Erase on canva-paper, 6" x 8" with 1/4" matting edges marked off before I start so that I don't wind up having to float the dang thing by painting out to the edges.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2009/70184-BoatSunsetSketch.jpg

I know it's hard to see, but the next progress post ought to do a lot to make it more obvious where the lines are. The main thing is that they're visible to me. This is an initial study of it and I'm probably going to use Pentel and the thinner again.

I'm going to start with a Naples Yellow wash on the sun and the areas where the pink gets orangy, then let that dry. Which is what's going on right now, I'm watching paint dry. I should scan the yellow wash layer.

Here we go, the Naples Yellow wash has dried:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2009/70184-BoatSunsetYellowWash.jpg
It looks pretty greenish here but it's not that greenish on the actual art, I just could not get it to the right shade of yellow tweaking color on the scan. Maybe on the next one, which is the pink wash.

oldrockchick
03-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Lovely puppies Irene and Bill :)
But Irene yours has no dinner :crying: I have to assume Bill has already fed his. :p

oldrockchick
03-04-2009, 03:52 PM
Irene, this is gorgeous! I love your showing the stages on the way to completion too. While it does look dark, it has a wonderful atmospheric feeling. Bill's point about the shape of the cloud drifting across the sun could be fixed if you connect the two bumps with a third one that bubbles up between them a little taller.
Did you mean me? Irene did the puppy ? I did a weird cloud shape across the sky ?

Guess I best fix that to keep ya happy :lol::wink2:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2009/179312-WC_OP_Sunset_4.jpg

That better >? :wink2:

<<<<< LIN

Scarefishcrow
03-04-2009, 03:58 PM
Lovely puppies Irene and Bill :)
But Irene yours has no dinner :crying: I have to assume Bill has already fed his. :p

ORC,

Thanks so much for you comments on my puppy painting. Don't worry, he's (?) had plenty to eat! :lol:

You really did a nice job on that sunset.

Scarefishcrow
03-04-2009, 03:59 PM

Robert,
I think you mean ORC's sunset, not Irene.

Bill

robertsloan2
03-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Yes, I did, Bill. I got confused because oldrockchick doesn't always post her actual name in her post.

Lin, I really love what you've just done with it and please, do remember to sign so I can get used to your name! I hate screwing up with names but my memory is a steel trap-- it mangles anything that gets into it. I love what you did to the cloud across the sun, it's beautiful. After seeing that on yours I decided to really loosen up on the clouds on mine and just do them whatever way worked.

Ari Cat has come to curl up in my lap and snuggle with me so I will have a few minutes without painting. I edited my next stage into the last post though. The pink wash stage can go in a new post.

Scarefishcrow
03-04-2009, 05:39 PM
Did you mean me? Irene did the puppy ? I did a weird cloud shape across the sky ?

Guess I best fix that to keep ya happy :lol::wink2:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2009/179312-WC_OP_Sunset_4.jpg

That better >? :wink2:

<<<<< LIN

Yup! Looks better!

robertsloan2
03-04-2009, 06:06 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2009/70184-BoatSunsetPinkDry.jpg

Pink layer dry. I need to put some pinks into the water too.

I'm now watching the pink wash dry. I'll edit that in when it's done. While looking for more thinner to refill the dipper (Museum Cups are just a two-cup thinner dipper that have lids on each side rather than just being open, so they're a lot easier to use and to pour back what's unused if it's still clean), I found my Loew-Cornell Paint Eraser.

This thing is cool! Its rubber tips have an angled chisel end and a pointy end like the Taper Point Colour Shaper, but while the tips are the same reddish color as a cheap Pink Pearl eraser or the ends of No. 2 pencils erasers, they are actually very stiff rubber like the Extra Firm Clay Shapers. Very inexpensive blending tool for those that find the Royal Sovereign product out of reach. I got it for an oil painting challenge but didn't realize how useful it'd be for oil pastels -- in exactly the same way it is for oils, scraping through or blending.

I checked the price and it's $4.99 at Blick, a bit less than the double ended Clay Shaper and has usable rubber tips on both ends in two of the most useful shapes.

So here's a scan of my Paint Eraser, showing the shape. The angle end is a lot like the Angle Chisel shape of a Clay Shaper, not like a flat chisel.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2009/70184-PaintShaper.jpg

I'm in a bizarre mood today, keen on scanning stages and details.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2009/70184-BoatSunsetPinkWash.jpg
Pink wash stage done. It looks horrid. But maybe once the blue is in it'll start looking good. If not, then I'll treat it like an underpainting and go over it. Happy that oil pastel is that workable!

I am in a weird and scan-happy mood though, all day has been like that and I haven't done any reorganizing.

oldrockchick
03-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Will be interesting to see how your sunset works with a wash. I did mine raw, but I decided to do a wash on my puppy pic. That colour shaper sounds like one I have. I also have some double-dippers (same as yours).

Here are the 3 stages of puppy I have done so far....

Winsor & Newton A4 Tints paper in grey/green, smooth side:

Loose sketch, I used cloured pencils to show up:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2009/179312-WC_OP_Mar_puppy_1.jpg

Then I went over it with very fine light waterproof ink so that it wouldn't smudge out when I did the wash. It will cover up ok when I use my OPs as they are quite firm.
I then loosely added colour:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2009/179312-WC_OP_Mar_puppy_2.jpg

Then I washed it gently with a soft brush and some artists white spirit.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2009/179312-WC_OP_Mar_puppy_3.jpg

All ready to start the pastel work build up, but I've packed up for the night as it's getting near bed time. Time for my hot chocolate.;)

> Lin <

robertsloan2
03-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Looking good so far, Lin. I'm impressed with how well you captured the three dimensional shape of the puppy and caught all its pudgy little oddities of proportions. Wash stage looks great!

I should finish mine today though since I have been pledged to do daily art this month and don't feel like posting the ugly pink stage as today's art. lol

oldrockchick
03-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Thanks Robert, I am just hanging around the forums while I drink my bedtime Hot chocolate. I have been really decadent and added a tot of rum :lol:. It helps me sleep ;)

Yes, that double ended shaper is identicla to mine!

Thanks for the kind words on my puppy. I have work tomorrow so I'll see if i can get any done when I get home.

Scarefishcrow
03-04-2009, 09:44 PM
I'll join the group that has the same little shaper tool! Apparently everyone has them:lol:

Lin..Fabulous work on the preliminary stages for the puppy sketch. It looks as if it will be excellent when you are done!

Robert, Loosen up and don't worry so much about cleaning. You'll get it done. Good start on the sunset. Are you also going to do another puppy or just the quick sketch?

I still need to do some cleanup on the pup head I did and posted! Needs to set up a bit first, though.

gakinme
03-04-2009, 10:18 PM
Wow, so much activity here today. It's so good to see all the stages you all work with. Thank you. So you all do outlines of some sort. :o And even ink ones. Wow...I didn't realize ink ones would be used in oil pastel. Learning loads here today. Thank you.

Irene, you have one cute puppy that. It reminds me of some of the folk art of Asia.

Bill, your puppy is pensive. Sparkling eyes!

Peg, the legs are so chubby. Very cute!

Lin, very neat sunset scene. The colors are superb. And the puppy is so good looking already at this stage.

Robert, I'm looking forward to watch your process too!

aolaranora
03-05-2009, 12:14 AM
Here is my version of the sea with the sunset... I wanted to see it bright and with NO BOATS! It is more sketch that anything else, but I love the colors of that sky... Bristol pad, Neopastel, Sennelier. All together maybe 10 different colors. Also I used a colorless blender from Sennelier. I don't particularly like it but for this work it was just fine.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2009/177144-seaset.jpg

I'm also incuding my very fisrt work in OP. This is actual sunset on Sasquehanna river. One of my own pictures taken with camera phone and later painted in OP on bristol. Senneliers Plane Air only.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2009/177144-river.jpg

Scarefishcrow
03-05-2009, 12:53 AM
Tatiana,

Your sunset is lovely and positivelly bursting with light. The color contrasts are great. I also love your picture of the Susquehana River, which I have been on many years ago when I was visiting a grad school colleague and doing research on fishes that were found in that region of Pennsylvania. Stayed in a little town in N.Central PA call St. Mary's.

Sandra, thank you for your kind comments on my puppy painting.

robertsloan2
03-05-2009, 01:02 AM
Tatiana, your sunset is so gorgeous. I love the way you highlighted the sun in it and it was interesting the way you eliminated the boat. I considered it because I tend to like landscapes without any human thing, but decided to keep it in as a challenge to doing it well and because it crossed the sun.

Cool that you have that tool too, Bill! I wound up adding a description of it to my site on the page of tools and stuff, put in the photo too. I had it from before I got any oil pastels and didn't even think to try it because I had it in the oils box -- found it in the cleanup.

I don't know yet if I'll do a second puppy or not, it's still early in the month and I'm a lot more of a cat person. I definitely want the seascape to come out well though. If I do the puppy again it'll have a cat in the picture.

aolaalara
03-05-2009, 01:02 AM
Hi,everybody! My name is Irina, and I was introduced to this OP community by my wonderful sister Tatiana. My daughter,Veronica, is also somewhere here.:-) So I have no choice and hope to be a part of gathering,too.:wave:

aolaalara
03-05-2009, 01:11 AM
Here is my OP painting of puppy of the month. This is first time in my life of painting of puppy, or, in fact, first painting at all , if not to count scary experience of school art classes ( sorry ,Pat, nothing personal, it was a Russin school:o ).Long time my sister was not succesful with tempting me to draw or paint with anything, but this year she won : buying big set of colored pencils, oil pastel with all that light and colors, and plus having so much fun here,in WC, well...it was too much for me to stay away. Comments are more then welcome.

aolaalara
03-05-2009, 01:11 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2009/181490-pup.jpg

Scarefishcrow
03-05-2009, 01:13 AM
Hi,everybody! My name is Irina, and I was introduced to this OP community by my wonderful sister Tatiana. My daughter,Veronica, is also somewhere here.:-) So I have no choice and hope to be a part of gathering,too.:wave:

Welcome, Irina! Tatiana is making this both a family both literally and figuratively! We have also met your lovely daughter, Veronica.

Our neighbors are originally from the Ukraine and her name is also Irina!

You probably have been told about things by your family, but just so you know your way around let me give you some information about the OP Channel.

We are glad you decided to give OP a chance and see what you can do with it. Lots of new people and lots of folks willing to help out.

Welcome aboard Irina!

Bill:clap: :clap:

aolaalara
03-05-2009, 01:19 AM
Thank you,Bill! We knew you will be the first to greet me here. Your information is extremely helpful, I am not the computer genius,but with your and Tanya's help I hope to manage somehow.

Scarefishcrow
03-05-2009, 01:26 AM
Irina, I must have been posting when you posted your puppy. For a first painting since school it is marvelous.

It is hard to tell with these digital images whether it is accurate with respect to color, but I might suggest darking the color values just a bit more and adding some variations so the colors are not so uniform. It may be that it just shows up lighter than it is IRL (in real life).

I don't know about Russian schools, but we toured from Moscow, along the Volga Baltic Riverway to St Petersburg for about 2 weeks a couple of years ago. One of the officers on the river cruise was named Irina and while the schools may have been scary the Russian people were so kind, warm, friendly and patient with us. I even tried to learn Russian when I got home, but didn't have the time to really stick with it. It is a beautiful language, I think, though. And the culture is so rich and varied.

Anyway, I tend to babble late at night (actually all the time) but it is great to have a "family in our OP family".

Welcome, again. After seeing how persuasive Tatiana can be it is no surprise you had to finally give in and join the fun.

Serious art but having fun doing it is the important thing.

Scarefishcrow
03-05-2009, 01:28 AM
Thank you,Bill! We knew you will be the first to greet me here. Your information is extremely helpful, I am not the computer genius,but with your and Tanya's help I hope to manage somehow.

If they won't help you, then ask us. WE WILL! Here everyone is a learner and everyone is a guide and we all help each other.

Toshiko Tanimoto
03-05-2009, 08:47 AM
Thank you Stacey,nice reference images.
I added second challenge.
Using Purple colored paper,9.212inch,Holbein Oilpastels.

[Sunset across the water]
http://wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-mar-2009/171954-wc03-6.jpg

oldrockchick
03-05-2009, 09:34 AM
:wave: Hello Lara, welcome to OP forum. I have only been here a couple of weeks myself and they have made me part of the family :wink2:
I love your puppy with the ball, nice work on the grass :thumbsup:

Tatiana I like the way you have done the blending on your sunset.

Tosh - WOW! Very striking and dramatic sunset, I love it!

Shirl Parker
03-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Tosh, very nicely done, imaginative and painterly.

robertsloan2
03-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Welcome, Irina! Your puppy's eye is so glistening and lively, clearly the focal point. He looks soft and fat and cute, that eye brings him alive. Welcome to the OP family! One more beautiful Russian artist makes me happy!

I took Russian in high school and loved it, got very good -- and then forgot every word of it within six months, because that's what happens when I take language classes and don't have the opportunity to keep it up. I have great trouble retaining languages. It was good for one thing, it helped me understand the richness and flavor of the language. I would probably learn it if I visited long enough, but could only retain it if I lived somewhere Russian speakers lived.

Toshi, your sunset is so dramatic! I love the bold colors and striking power of the sun in it. Dramatic values are gorgeous. I like how you focused in on the boat and away from the panorama, that's another interesting crop to make an original composition.

I'm still halfway through mine and not sure whether it'll be one of my best paintings or one of my worst.

aolaranora
03-05-2009, 01:10 PM
I took Russian in high school and loved it, got very good -- and then forgot every word of it within six months,
Ha-ha-ha! This is how we learned English in school! Sounds just right! :angel: Then I tool a French in college. LOVED it, don't remember anything, but wee, wee part and few other cute things! :lol: Anywhow, we glad to be here and have such a good time with all of you, guys! (my husband thinks we are nutz!) But on other hand it is cheaper then me getting one more horse, so he doesn't argue too much! The only problem is - kitchen table is constantly busy.:angel:

robertsloan2
03-05-2009, 01:18 PM
That sounds like so much fun, all three of you painting together at the kitchen table. Like something that would make a beautiful painting.

Here's the purple wash stage of my sunset. I'm beginning to think it can't be all painted, that I have to work dry at some point. But once I put the ultramarine in I'll see how it looks and whether I can do it all with painted effects. For a change I took a photo instead of putting it on the scanner.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Mar-2009/70184-BoatSunsetPurpleWash.jpg

This layer didn't seem to be too different from the pink one but it is a little more defined. Also the painting is taking over and becoming different from the reference.

Then I scanned this layer, adding purple rounded clouds and pink rounded clouds onto what was painted.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Mar-2009/70184-BoatSunsetPurpleClouds.jpg
I'm not sure if I'm going to wash those or not, though it would be cool if it was all painted texture it also is starting to look like I need to move toward working dry. Not sure about that.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Mar-2009/70184-BoatSunsetBlues.jpg

I wound up doing both, washing some of the clouds but not all the way, doing it almost with a dry brush in some areas. Added more blue to the water and started texturing it with little short strokes with the brush, which wound up with a texture I'm not sure I like over in the far left. But maybe if I build it some more I'll like it, or when the black headlands are there behind it that won't look so stark.

This is a weird painting for me.

Barbara WC
03-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Wow, everyone's pieces look great!

This is my first participation in a challenge on WC even though I've been a member for quite awhile. I didn't look at what you all posted before completing mine because I didn't want to be influenced!

It's really cool to see how we all have approached this boat scene so differently. I like how the sky on mine turned out, but not thrilled with the water nor boat. I've never painted water before in any media so this was a challenge! landscapes really aren't my thing.

Cray-Pas Specialists, Senneliers and Neopastels on Senneleir Oil Pastel card, 6.5"x9.5".

Barbara

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Mar-2009/138866-March_OP_challenge-_sea_boat_2.jpg

Scarefishcrow
03-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Robert, Yours look as if it is coming along very well.

Barbara, Good job for "stretching your comfort zone". It is always good. That's why I took so long dawdling about that darn blue flower. Just don't do flowers well.

Tosh,

I really like what you have done. You have such bold strokes that are filled with energy. The dynamic wok with the OP provides a sort of tension between the energetically charged, bold strokes of color against what one would normally consider a "soothing and calm time" at the end of the day. Great job.

Pat Isaac
03-05-2009, 05:34 PM
I am so far behind on this thread....but all looks great. I'll try and catch up tomorrow.

pay

robertsloan2
03-05-2009, 08:44 PM
Barbara, I like your sky and boat -- the boat is fine. On the water, you could go in and try to break it up with small horizontal strokes back and forth showing the wavelets and giving it more of a watery look.

It's a quarter to eight and I'm starting to feel like I'm passing out, so I might nap and get back to this tomorrow. I got progress though!

gakinme
03-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Irina, welcome. What a great chubby looking puppy for your first piece. I like the idea of a ball too!

Toshi, nice bold colors and strokes there!

Barbara, I like the sky!

Robert, when you put the purple in, you say wash. What does wash mean? Oil pastel washed with turp?

robertsloan2
03-05-2009, 11:22 PM
Sandra -- yes. When I say wash, it means that I washed over the oil pastel with odorless turpentine. When I don't say wash, I used the pastels dry. I'm moving into the stage of doing the dry work on this little painting although I thought I was going to do the whole thing as turpentine washes. The clouds look better semi-dry -- I used a nearly dry brush to swirl over them in some areas and soften edges, but left some areas granulating off as broken color for their softness.

I don't think I'll do any more on it tonight, it's something I'm working on by daylight to get the colors right. It just happened that way.

Pat Isaac
03-06-2009, 09:11 AM
Trying to catch up. First off, Welcome to the OP forum, Irina and that is a wonderful painting of the puppy for your first OP. Nice color and detailing.
ORC - nice mystery and color in the water scene and I like the start of your puppy.
Tosh, wonderfully done. I really like your painterly application of the OPs.
Barbara, I'm with you on the landscape thing, but you have done a nice job with this, really like the sky.
Tatiana, such a peaceful beautiful sunset.
Robert, Looking forward to you finish. Thanks for the progress pics.
Hope I didn't miss anyone.
Pat

robertsloan2
03-06-2009, 12:55 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2009/70184-BoatSunset.jpg

Boat at Sunset, 6" x 8" in Pentel oil pastels on canvas paper.

I didn't use the colored pencils after all. I did the rigging with a very tiny micro brush that I use for ACEOs, picked up black from the heavy silhouetted headland and just dragged it loosely from the top of the mast to the boat.

I signed it with a black pen though. It took a while to find the right unobtrusive place for my monogram, it wound up floating in the sky over the left of the headland and took several tries because I did use a colored pencil for it -- but it wasn't quite visible enough even with the black one so I went over it in pen to get it to the same black as the land.

I like how this came out. It was a surprising lot of work compared to what I thought it would be with all the successive glazes, but in the end almost all of it was done with oil pastels thinned with odorless turpentine. Only the rounded clouds have any of the broken color from the sticks and even those got softened with a nearly dry brush.

This one was a fun exploration especially of ways to do clouds.

oldrockchick
03-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Hi Barbara, nice to expand areas beyond the norm. I agree with Robert on the water, some horizontal strokes would set it off from the sky.

Robert, a couple of questions.....When you use the canvas 'paper' as you have done, (which I have not tried for OPs), Is it necessary to start with a wash? Is it hard to work on this surface with raw dry OPs ? Looking forward to your progression.

i didn't get a chance to work on my puppy yesterday but I hope to do some tonight, just waiting to have my dinner free so my workspace is clear.

JTMB
03-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Hi everyone,

Here's my try at the very cute Yellow Lab puppy - my first real attempt at an animal, which I found to be fun but also very challenging. I think my 12-year old Yellow Lab got jealous when she saw me painting this image, but I figured it would have been worse if I tried to paint my own pooch and it didn't look like her at all! :)

This is about 9x12 on Strathmore bristol vellum, done mostly with Senns.

C&C welcome.

John
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2009/165640-1356-S3-PuppyForMarOPChallenge-Mar,_09-WS.jpg

Scarefishcrow
03-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Great job, John. And I TOTALLY believe you about your lab. We have a young Black Lab (Zoey) and I don't know whether she would be jealous or constantly wanting to jump on top of the drawing because my hands are supposed to be on her head "all the time" when she is otherwise not engaged in something that interests "her"!

I think there has been dog/master role reversal here slowly and subtlely! I once saw a joke outlining the reaction of various dog breeds to the question of changing a light bulb. The labrador's response was

"ME, ME, ME! LET ME DO IT. I CAN DO IT. CHOOSE ME! PLEAAAASE LET ME. ME, ME ME, LET ME!" :lol:

Accurate description of how mine would respond!!

oldrockchick
03-06-2009, 03:25 PM
Robert - beautiful work.... very atmospheric. So you did it ALL with washes... the canvas effect works well. Still like to know how that surface would work with raw pastels.

Hi John, i like your puppy. So cute. Good rendition.

Well I've started on mine again.

As you can see lol.... with my very humble cheap student grade hardish pastels.... and my 2 trusty black and one white Sennelir.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2009/179312-Mar_09_WIPS_004.jpg

Here is a scan of my next stage. My first raw undercoat of dry pastelling.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2009/179312-WC_OP_Mar_puppy_4.jpg

Now for the final coat and finishing touches......
Still LOTS to be done!

Pat Isaac
03-06-2009, 03:59 PM
ORC, I like your start a lot. Good color. Thanks for showing your little set up. Always interesting to see where people work.
John, good job on your first dog. I did my first one last month and was amazed at how hard it was...His mouth could be moved over a little so that it is in the center under his nose. I like your treatment of the grass.

Pat

robertsloan2
03-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Such differences between your puppies, John and ORC! Yours is great for a first animal sketch, John. There is a slight problem with the muzzle that Pat identified but that's about it, everything's in proportion. The eye is perfect and so are the pudgy short little legs, head to body proportion (something I messed up on) and the grass is great!

ORC, you have a great start and I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Thanks for all your comments on my sunset! I think I will try working dry on that surface, but I'll want an underpainting because the canvas texture breaks all color and I really don't like broken color on white as much as on colors. Still, a loose wash underpainting would do it and give me a toned surface that'd be great. Also it probably depends on which pastels I use.

I have a feeling trying the canvas with Senneliers dry would come out great, very painterly. Chew them up fast but come out really good.

Oh, it is so tempting to get the big set of those and start using them with profligate looseness on canvas or canvas boards and see what I get with them. They are so painterly and soft it's wonderful.

oldrockchick
03-06-2009, 08:00 PM
Oh well here he is, lock up your roilet rolls. (Only Brits might get that, it's an advert for toilet roll that has lab puppies stealing loo paper :) )

I really do need to get some softer pastels though. I love the firmness of the Gallery and Rowney but when I want to do texturing such as for fur i need something softer to go over the top and unless I use the irridescents I only have a black and a white Sennelier. Maybe budget will set to some next month. (crosses fingers)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2009/179312-WC_OP_Mar_Puppy_finished.jpg

Can't wait for the next month's challenge!

JTMB
03-06-2009, 08:11 PM
I just went back and reviewed the whole thread for the first time, and it is really great seeing everyone's work. As always, the breadth of interpretations is amazing and educational. Oldrockchick-your puppy sure looks nice, soft and fluffy!

John

aolaranora
03-06-2009, 09:27 PM
I really do need to get some softer pastels though. I love the firmness of the Gallery and Rowney but when I want to do texturing such as for fur i need something softer to go over the top and unless I use the irridescents I only have a black and a white Sennelier. Maybe budget will set to some next month. (crosses fingers)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2009/179312-WC_OP_Mar_Puppy_finished.jpg

Can't wait for the next month's challenge!
I totally love this one. Coat came out nicely. Very good job!

robertsloan2
03-06-2009, 10:38 PM
Oldrockchick, your puppy came out so fluffy it's wonderful! I'm going to have to play with my Senneliers the next time I do an animal -- that is perfect fur-fluffing. He looks so lovable in your rendering. Values are spot on. So is the fabulous shaggy texture and that cute button eye.

Wonderful painting.

Scarefishcrow
03-08-2009, 12:25 AM
Lin (ORC) --

Your puppy came out incredibly well! I'm envious!!! You accomplished very believable texture, physical and aerial perspective and EVEN GOT those clover to show up at the puppy's feet. That is quite an accomplishment!

truck driver
03-08-2009, 04:15 AM

Its o.k. I am.. I am not either Bill or Tanya, but my computer credentials speak for themselves..

RG

oldrockchick
03-08-2009, 07:57 AM
Thank you all for your kind words, esp Bill and Robert. Coming from guys with your talent and experience it means a LOT to me.

Am saving my pennies for some Senneliers. The harder student ones I use , I seem to have mastered but they dont' give the soft texture needed for fur. That is why I was limited to white for the fluffiness.

I didnt' think I'd be able to do this puppy justice with the Inscribe and Rowney.

Pat Isaac
03-08-2009, 10:26 AM
ORC, what a wonderful painting of the puppy. You have done the fur extremely well. Great color and the grass texture is nicely done. I am partial to Senneliers and I think you will like them.

Pat

JTMB
03-08-2009, 08:39 PM
Hi everyone,

Here is my take on the sunset/boat image. This is about 8x10 using Holbeins on Strathmore bristol vellum. I modified the composition slightly, moving the boat to the right of the setting sun instead of keeping it dead center. C&C welcome.

John

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Mar-2009/165640-1358-S3-OPMonthlyChallengeMarch,09-WS.jpg

robertsloan2
03-08-2009, 08:51 PM
John, I like yours! Everyone's interpreted it differently and done something cool with it. Yours is so bright and bold. I like how you did the ripples in the water, they remind me of some Monet scenes that I saw years ago in museums. Beautiful colors and composition.

I also like the way you reduced the contrast of the land with the sky by using a dark blue and kept the strongest contrast for the boat as a focal point. Very effective.

aolaalara
03-08-2009, 11:23 PM
Thank you! It was pretty scary to do the first time. When I came to the point of grass, I was already more relaxed as painting of puppy itself was over.But I did enjoy every moment of it.

aolaalara
03-08-2009, 11:27 PM
Welcome, Irina! Your puppy's eye is so glistening and lively, clearly the focal point. He looks soft and fat and cute, that eye brings him alive. Welcome to the OP family! One more beautiful Russian artist makes me happy!

Thank you,Robert,glad to hear we made someone happy. Is not it a general point of art?

PiscesWoman
03-09-2009, 04:16 AM
Hi Everybody,

All the pics look great.

I have finally done mine. It's been done on Modigliani Pastel Paper, 10 x 14", with 30-year-old Holbeins and more recent "el cheapo" Micadors from K-Mart (similar to Walmart). I'm sort of happy with it considering that I've never really done anything with oil pastels before. Now to see if I can attach the picture.

PiscesWoman
03-09-2009, 04:23 AM
Oops, sorry everybody, it's way too big. Will have to modify it.

Karen

PiscesWoman
03-09-2009, 04:43 AM
Hopefully it will work now.

Pat Isaac
03-09-2009, 08:07 AM
Wonderful interpretation, John. Such nice bold color and the water is fantastic.
Welcome to the OP forum, PiscesWoman....:wave: Adorable puppy and you handled the fur well. 30 year old Holbeins, that speaks well for them. Hope you will join us again.

Paat

Scarefishcrow
03-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Hopefully it will work now.

Welcome to the OP Channel, Pisceswoman! Your puppy came out great.

<Index Thread> (http://http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540432)

Welcome aboard!
Bill

Scarefishcrow
03-09-2009, 01:06 PM
John, Fantastic sunset. The way you treated the water reflections as patches of color reminds me greatly of Renoir's style.

Wonderful job.

Scarefishcrow
03-09-2009, 01:09 PM
I hope I have mentioned everyone! It's is grand to have so many participants that I'm confused as to whether I've gotten everything straight! I've looked at all of them so far and they are great jobs.

Such a wonderful turnout!! And the month isn't even half gone!!!!!!

This is fantastic.

Robert, I'm not sure I commented on your wornderful sunset after you completed it, but good job!

If I missed anyone, please forgive me!

robertsloan2
03-09-2009, 01:18 PM
PiscesWoman, your puppy came out so well. I love its sweet expression, you captured the feel of the pudgy little critter perfectly. Good color and shading too!

Thanks, Bill! Much appreciated. I was not sure whether the sunset would come out well or not, but by the time I was done I really liked it. I framed it and put away one of my other artworks because I liked it so much.

PiscesWoman
03-09-2009, 06:04 PM
Thank you all for your comments. I have since made a few slight adjustments to the puppy, just to define his jaw a bit better. Amazing what pops out at you once you put it up on screen, but you didn't see 15 minutes earlier with the original right in front of you.:rolleyes: I won't worry about putting up a new photo though.

I may try the sunset picture if I can get some time before the end of the month, and see how I go with that one.:)

Karen

03-10-2009, 07:30 AM
Sorry to have been absent, but family emergency has kept me busy.

Anyway, LOOOOOOOOOOVE the work so far from everyone, especially all those gorgeous colours and textures.

THANKYOu for the wonderful works of these humble references, you have made my day!!!!!

eshokler
03-17-2009, 04:59 PM
Hi again - I have to say first off - these monthly challenges are just that. I never would have chosen or thought to choose these colors for a project. I really like that! I have been challenged:) to do oil pastels differently then I have in the past and now use new methods & materials on a monthly basis.

I did this piece on the shiny side of a black matboard (I have used this surface many times in the past very successfully - currently I have a piece in a juried show of southeastern U.S. artists). I used a Cray-pas specialist oil pastel blender (1st time using this) as my first layer and then approximately 6 - 7 layers for the sky & 4 - 5 layers for the water using only my 12 piece set of neopastels. I was amazed when I opened the tin and found a pink really close to the photo. I had never used the pink. All blending was done with my fingers since I had misplaced my shapers.

This has been a great month of examples. I've learned so much from all of you. I have mixed media pieces I need to start so I may not do the puppy.

Oldrockchick did a lovely interpretation of the puppy and the feeling of the fur was so tactile!

eshokler
03-17-2009, 05:14 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2009/174739-DSCN0698.JPG

Scarefishcrow
03-17-2009, 06:00 PM
Glad you liked the "challenge". Nice interpretation of the sunset and you might be interested in the discussion in this thread on "Pushing The Limits of Your Comfort Zone" (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508955&highlight=comfort+Zone) that we had a discussion on a while back!

Hi again - I have to say first off - these monthly challenges are just that. I never would have chosen or thought to choose these colors for a project. I really like that! I have been challenged:) to do oil pastels differently then I have in the past and now use new methods & materials on a monthly basis.

I did this piece on the shiny side of a black matboard (I have used this surface many times in the past very successfully - currently I have a piece in a juried show of southeastern U.S. artists). I used a Cray-pas specialist oil pastel blender (1st time using this) as my first layer and then approximately 6 - 7 layers for the sky & 4 - 5 layers for the water using only my 12 piece set of neopastels. I was amazed when I opened the tin and found a pink really close to the photo. I had never used the pink. All blending was done with my fingers since I had misplaced my shapers.

This has been a great month of examples. I've learned so much from all of you. I have mixed media pieces I need to start so I may not do the puppy.

Oldrockchick did a lovely interpretation of the puppy and the feeling of the fur was so tactile!

robertsloan2
03-17-2009, 08:45 PM
Eshokler, I like your moody sunset. The shiny black side of matboard is interesting as a surface, it gave your piece a moody feel. I love that 12 color set of neopastels, it was a great mixer. I bought a bigger set because I wanted more range but I was already wearing down the twelver when I did.

oldrockchick
03-17-2009, 09:10 PM

Thank you so much. I wasn't sure how to start on the puppy at first. i was surpised it came out as it did to be honest.

I hope you enjoy these challenges. I am new to them. Shame there were only 2 as I've done them both and cant' wait for another.

I've done it! I ordered soem new pastels and they are on their way. I ordered some Senneliers and a few dark/neutral Rowneys. I like the firmness of Rowneys and the Softness of the Senneliers

I keep checking back and there is some lovely work evolving. Spectacular sunsets and fluffy puppies all over the place! A joy to see. :clap:

Scarefishcrow
03-18-2009, 02:23 AM
Started the sunset, but it hasn't quite told me where exactly it's headed yet. So I'll have to see where it takes me!

Bill:confused:

PiscesWoman
03-18-2009, 04:24 AM
Hi eshokler,

I love the wave colour you've got going. I've roughed this one out on pink paper/card but it's still waiting for me to finish it.

Karen

Pat Isaac
03-18-2009, 08:02 AM
Nice work on the sunset, Eshokler, and I like the way the black paper works for you.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
03-19-2009, 12:27 AM
Colourfix Dark Blue Support, Van Gogh underpainting with Sennelier top layer. 9 x 12 inches; detailing with Faber Castell Polychromos Oil Pencils. Some smudging due to scanning. C&C welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2009/108067-smb2.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Pat Isaac
03-19-2009, 07:55 AM
I like the brilliant sky and choppy water. It looks as if you put in some sky after you did the mast lines. It might be better to do those after the sky next time.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
03-19-2009, 11:12 AM
I like the brilliant sky and choppy water. It looks as if you put in some sky after you did the mast lines. It might be better to do those after the sky next time.

Pat

You are exactly right. I am still learning how to sequence the layers to not muddy colors with other work. I actually had the sky in and then started adding the lines with OP, which didn't work well, then switched to Oil Pencil with a ruler. By that timre I had smudged tht sky which I tried to rework, which smudged the rigging, which I reworked, which smudged the sky, etc.

It became a vicious cycle, but I learned in the process. Actually, patience to wait for the next day is not one of my virtues. OP is not always the best for an "alla prima" approach.

Thanks for your commrents, Pat.

Bill

Pat Isaac
03-19-2009, 11:20 AM
Yeah, patience is a key here....:rolleyes: That is why I like to work on several pieces at once. Then I can put one aside and work on another. However, learning something from each painting is a plus.

Pat

oldrockchick
03-19-2009, 11:35 AM
That's a lovely version Bill. So striking and I like the way you have brought the boat forward. As for scanning smudge - yeah that can be a problem. I usually wait a while before scanning. Another thing is to put it in the fridge for 10 mins first. (The painting NOT the scanner):lol:

I've never heard of 'Oil Pencils' please tell me about those as they sound very useful.

BTW.... I am waiting for the postman to deliver my new pastels....

I ordered a Sennelier portrait set and and a few odd extras and a couple of Daler Rowney. i'll see how I get on with those.

Can't wait for April challenge... maybe we could have more than 2 references?for choice or .. to have a go at all of them... lol.

eyepaint
03-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Can't wait for April challenge... maybe we could have more than 2 references?for choice or .. to have a go at all of them... lol.

Hi Oldrock,

Since you're interested in drawing more pieces in OP, you might want to check out the Weekend Drawing Event in the All Media Arts Forum (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133). Each weekend a member posts 16 reference photos that people can paint/draw/sketch. The next weekend a different member posts 16 new ref photos to work from. The idea is to start any time you're available, and work on a piece, stopping to scan/photo at the two hour mark. It's really cool all the different interpretations in different media.

Tomorrow, AlainJ from Quebec will be hosting. Here is his invitation thread: http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=553019
Tomorrow morning he'll post a new thread with an "Images Here" in the thread title someplace. You're welcome to join us!

Cheers,

robertsloan2
03-19-2009, 07:45 PM
Bill, I like the way you focused on the boat as the main element in your sunset. Very cool rigging. I like how it worked when you used the oil pencil and a ruler to get clean lines on it, that seriously helped. I can see how you had problems with the sky smudging, it's very hard to rework something after the lines are in and the spaces are so small.

I might have used a colour shaper for some of the reworking. The overall effect of your choppy water is great!

eyepaint
03-19-2009, 08:35 PM
Here's my study of the lil' puppy. Sennelier on 9x12" watercolour paper coated with colourfix primer. Six colours.

Cheers,

Scarefishcrow
03-20-2009, 02:57 AM
That's a lovely version Bill. So striking and I like the way you have brought the boat forward. As for scanning smudge - yeah that can be a problem. I usually wait a while before scanning. Another thing is to put it in the fridge for 10 mins first. (The painting NOT the scanner):lol:

I've never heard of 'Oil Pencils' please tell me about those as they sound very useful.

BTW.... I am waiting for the postman to deliver my new pastels....

I ordered a Sennelier portrait set and and a few odd extras and a couple of Daler Rowney. i'll see how I get on with those.

ORC, Here is A thread or two discussing them.

Discussion of Oil Pencils:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=432 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=432)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=539275

Hope that helps.
BILL

Scarefishcrow
03-20-2009, 03:01 AM
Bill, I like the way you focused on the boat as the main element in your sunset. Very cool rigging. I like how it worked when you used the oil pencil and a ruler to get clean lines on it, that seriously helped. I can see how you had problems with the sky smudging, it's very hard to rework something after the lines are in and the spaces are so small.

I might have used a colour shaper for some of the reworking. The overall effect of your choppy water is great!

Robert, Thanks for the comments and suggestions. EP. Great Psychedelic colored Puppy!

Bill

oldrockchick
03-20-2009, 09:10 AM
Here's my study of the lil' puppy. Sennelier on 9x12" watercolour paper coated with colourfix primer. Six colours.

Cheers,

Sorry but I couldn't see the pic so I have to use the quote and sometimes the attachment shows up.

Bill... I'll check those otu later thanks. I'm off to the back room to work on my Oil Painting right now ;)

oldrockchick
03-20-2009, 09:12 AM
I see it now I have to use quote and then I see the attachment link in the quuote. Sometimes even that doesn't work.

It's aninteresting abstract Eye. Sort of looks like one of those images when they use those heat sensing thingies.

Pat Isaac
03-20-2009, 09:38 AM
Great crop and color in the puppy, EP and there is your signature blue...

Pat

Shirl Parker
03-20-2009, 10:45 AM
I did a quote yesterday, and that silly number came instead of the photo. Those programmers must be screwing around again!

eyepaint
03-20-2009, 11:58 AM
Sorry but I couldn't see the pic so I have to use the quote and sometimes the attachment shows up.

Sorry it wasn't working out for you. This has been the only way I can get my images to upload on WC for the past two months. If I use one browser then I can't get capital letters, or apostrophes, or any non-lower-case letter marks. So strange.

Bill and Pat - thank you :) I couldn't leave the puppy as-is - I HAD to insert some blue :) :) :)

eyepaint
03-20-2009, 12:01 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Mar-2009/96240-wc_op_mar2009_01.JPG

Hmm did it work that time to copy the image URL and insert the tags before and after?

Not quite... will try another browser...

Nope. Firefox and IE both didn't cooperate.

robertsloan2
03-20-2009, 12:47 PM

Cheers,

This is so great! I love your six color renderings, they are so bold and colorful! Wonderful version of the puppy. Well done!

PiscesWoman
03-20-2009, 10:26 PM
Hi Eyepaint,

I love this puppy, so vibrant. I love pics like this in vibrant colour choices, and yet my own art seems to always be sooo conservative! I was able to access the picture with no problems - just thought I would let you know.:thumbsup:

Karen.

Scarefishcrow
03-20-2009, 11:28 PM
Sorry it wasn't working out for you. This has been the only way I can get my images to upload on WC for the past two months. If I use one browser then I can't get capital letters, or apostrophes, or any non-lower-case letter marks. So strange.

Bill and Pat - thank you :) I couldn't leave the puppy as-is - I HAD to insert some blue :) :) :)

EP Try the method I outline in the following post and see if it works. If using IE then it is a common problem and this works.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7683549&postcount=11

Hope that helps.

eyepaint
03-21-2009, 12:55 AM
Trying Bill's method:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Mar-2009/96240-wc_op_mar2009_01.JPG

Ok wow - thanks Bill! I wonder if it's the lower case img that works here (instead of upper case IMG that I tried this morning). Yaaaay! :) :) :)

oldrockchick
03-21-2009, 09:21 AM
Hey I can see your puppy now!! :clap:

Whoa psychodelic man :cool: Reminds me of a thermal image.
I like it. ;)

btw I only use the upload icon on the advanced reply option, always seems to work for me. Hit the icon (looks like a mountain) then browse for the pic. Can be very slow when server is busy though. Lucky I'm on 10 Meg cable broadband.

robertsloan2
03-21-2009, 10:33 AM
Yeah, that's how I use the uploader too and it works. I use IE and haven't had a problem, but I can see that other factors may come into it too. It works when I use the advanced reply option or the start new thread that automatically gives the advanced screen.

Scarefishcrow
03-21-2009, 07:21 PM

Hmm did it work that time to copy the image URL and insert the tags before and after?

Not quite... will try another browser...

Nope. Firefox and IE both didn't cooperate.

I clicked on your link and copied the URL for the picture to the clipboard.

Now I am going to type in the image tags FIRST!

Then move the cursor between them and do a paste:

Then complete editing. Did you paste the link in first then put image tags on the ends? That doesn't work. Have to paste the URL BETWEEN the image tags AFTER you type the tags in. Otherwise it becomes a simple hypelink.

See if this worked?

Voila! The image tags must be typed and then paste the URL between AFTERWARDS. EP try that and see if it workds for you!

Here is what happens when I PASTE BEFORE typing image tags:

See.....A link, no image.

BILL:wave:

Bill

Scarefishcrow
03-21-2009, 07:35 PM
Hey I can see your puppy now!! :clap:

Whoa psychodelic man :cool: Reminds me of a thermal image.
I like it. ;)

btw I only use the upload icon on the advanced reply option, always seems to work for me. Hit the icon (looks like a mountain) then browse for the pic. Can be very slow when server is busy though. Lucky I'm on 10 Meg cable broadband.

There are some combinations of browser, settings, and computer where that won't work. I'm convince it could be tracked to some setting having to do with cookies, but I have had IE7 (now IE8) fail to inline image with upload icon.

Another alternative is to add the files as attachments using the attachement manager below the edit box.

IF THE USER HAS THE OPTION SETTING SET UNDER MY WC! TO DISPLAY ATTACHED IMAGES INLINE RATHER THAN THUMBNAILS THEN THE IMAGES WILL DISPLAY FULL SIZE IN THE POST FOR THE READER EVEN WHEN ATTACHED RATHER THAN USING UPLOAD TOOL.

BUT THE "MY WC!" OPTIONS FOR THE PERSON VIEWING MUST BE SET CORRECTLY. HERE IS A LINK EXPLAINING OPTIONS AVAILABLE AND WHAT THEY DO UNDER "MY WC!" I HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE:

TUTORIAL ON HOW TO SET CUSTOM OPTIONS IN "MY WC!" (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7342727&postcount=1)

BILL:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

eyepaint
03-21-2009, 09:46 PM
Then complete editing. Did you paste the link in first then put image tags on the ends? That doesn't work. Have to paste the URL BETWEEN the image tags AFTER you type the tags in. Otherwise it becomes a simple hypelink.

The order matters? No wonder I had trouble! Thanks for the tip, Bill :) :) :)

Shirl Parker
03-21-2009, 11:39 PM
I'm typing the first then pasting the link, then the second

and that worked fine

then I pasted the link and added the front and back, and that worked fine

Scarefishcrow
03-21-2009, 11:42 PM
The order matters? No wonder I had trouble! Thanks for the tip, Bill :) :) :)

yep the order matters! Took lots of trial and errors to figure that one out! Hope it helps!

Scarefishcrow
03-21-2009, 11:51 PM
Trying your way, shirl!

Now will paste llink then add tags

Don't think ththe 2nd Way works for me.
Best bet is to paste link after tags typed. That seems to always work while the others may not with some browsers,Shirl.

Bill

eyepaint
03-21-2009, 11:55 PM
Wow - all this testing means we have a large litter of brightly coloured puppies!! Hide your slippers!!! :) :) :)

Scarefishcrow
03-22-2009, 12:03 AM
:lol: Wow - all this testing means we have a large litter of brightly coloured puppies!! Hide your slippers!!! :) :) :)

:lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol:

robertsloan2
03-22-2009, 02:10 AM
LOL

I should draw glow in the dark neon green flip flops for the puppies to chew. Sadly none of the reputable manufacturers is going to come out with a glow in the dark oil pastel. Or even a student brand. That's the one thing I haven't found -- but it'd be fun for my sketchwall if I ever found one.

Pat Isaac
03-22-2009, 10:03 AM
Yup,....many many puppies and they are all alike.....:lol:

Pat

oldrockchick
03-22-2009, 08:54 PM
LOL

I should draw glow in the dark neon green flip flops for the puppies to chew. Sadly none of the reputable manufacturers is going to come out with a glow in the dark oil pastel. Or even a student brand. That's the one thing I haven't found -- but it'd be fun for my sketchwall if I ever found one.

I have some Sennelier Irridescenst and Some Gallery Artists metallics :p

Maybe they could make interestign puppies.

I'm feeling frustrated..... I waited a week for pay day to order my new OPs. They 'arrived' Thursday and the postman delivers so early nobody was awake in the house! So I requested a redelivery, earliest was Saturday, and they didn't come :crying: No deliveries on Sunday and now I supposed I will have to go to the sorting office to collect them!

And I am back at work Tuesday and wanted to spend the weekend working with them.... :crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

Scarefishcrow
03-22-2009, 10:49 PM
I have some Sennelier Irridescenst and Some Gallery Artists metallics :p

Maybe they could make interestign puppies.

I'm feeling frustrated..... I waited a week for pay day to order my new OPs. They 'arrived' Thursday and the postman delivers so early nobody was awake in the house! So I requested a redelivery, earliest was Saturday, and they didn't come :crying: No deliveries on Sunday and now I supposed I will have to go to the sorting office to collect them!

And I am back at work Tuesday and wanted to spend the weekend working with them.... :crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

Sounds frustrating, ORC. They have to deliver the mail in person, don't leave it?

Bill

robertsloan2
03-22-2009, 11:04 PM
Bill, your technicolor puppy is very cool too!

I should do it. Go ahead and try the fluorescents in my Erengi set to add to the litter of polychrome psychedelic puppies!

Scarefishcrow
03-22-2009, 11:09 PM
Bill, your technicolor puppy is very cool too!

I should do it. Go ahead and try the fluorescents in my Erengi set to add to the litter of polychrome psychedelic puppies!

Actually, Robert, those are all copies of EP's technicolor puppy. We were trying to demonstrate how to manually do an image upload when the uploader doesn't work as usual.

Just for the record, my puppy is way back earlier. Here's a link:

http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7652098&postcount=44

Thanks, though.

robertsloan2
03-22-2009, 11:29 PM
Oh, okay! lol

I thought you were trying to draw it with the same pastels.

I did do the psychedelic fluorescent puppy -- the scan didn't get even close to the colors but my webcam did:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2009/70184-PsychedelicPuppy.jpg

Now I've made it so garish Shirl's looks low intensity! I did put its food bowl with its radioactive dinner in the picture this time.

Oldrockchick, I have the Gallery metallics too and Sennelier iridescent. I would love to see you do that with the puppy. Go ahead and do it. We can start expanding the litter of wildly colored puppies.

Doing this was weirdly fun and came out looking better than I thought it would, it's just the black light poster treatment. Now I regret having put my black light into storage like I did, or I would put that in the lamp and see how it looks under that UV glow...

Scarefishcrow
03-23-2009, 04:08 PM
Robert, I'm afraid you don't have EP's psychedelic touch yet!:lol: :lol: :lol:

oldrockchick
03-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Sounds frustrating, ORC. They have to deliver the mail in person, don't leave it?

Bill

Too big to go through the letterbox and nowhere safe as my home opens out onto a green.

We collected the parcel today.... and guess what..... only had half the order...

The Sennelier pastels are items 'to follow'.... so I still have to wait :crying::mad:

robertsloan2
03-23-2009, 04:22 PM
Robert, I'm afraid you don't have EP's psychedelic touch yet!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Naw, you're right. She blended that limited palette so well and used the blue so effectively that hers is unique. I just did a value rendering in fluorescents.

robertsloan2
03-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Too big to go through the letterbox and nowhere safe as my home opens out onto a green.

We collected the parcel today.... and guess what..... only had half the order...

The Sennelier pastels are items 'to follow'.... so I still have to wait :crying::mad:

Oh that is horribly frustrating! I hope there were at least some goodies in the parcel to keep you happy and occupied till they arrive.

Scarefishcrow
03-23-2009, 04:26 PM

Now that's it real Bummer!

:eek: :eek:
Bill

Pat Isaac
03-23-2009, 04:45 PM
I agree, a real bummer.....:mad:

Nice bright colors, but not an EP...

Pat

robertsloan2
03-24-2009, 01:47 PM
Nope, just an old hippie fondly remembering black light parties.

eyepaint
03-24-2009, 03:02 PM
Robert - your puppy glows!! Did it lick up that spill of radioactive materials over by the ditch? :)

eyepaint
03-24-2009, 03:04 PM
Quick version of the sailboat at sunset. 9x12" watercolour paper, terracotta colourfix primer (which renders 1 of my 8 pastels rather useless since it's the same colour as the bg!). Blended the sky a wee bit and left the water unblended.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2009/96240-op_mar2009_boat.JPG

Cheers,

Pat Isaac
03-24-2009, 03:15 PM
That terracotta paper works well with this image, EP. I like the unblended water, gives more of a feeling of waves.

Pat

robertsloan2
03-24-2009, 04:28 PM
EP, your brilliant sunset came out so well. The terracotta background is gorgeous and really worked with it even if one of your pastels wasn't usable for matching it. The contrasting textures help establish a difference between the reflected sky on the water and the sky, that's very cool.

Scarefishcrow
03-24-2009, 05:39 PM
EP-Brilliant sunset and boat! Not much blue for you, though! Are you running LOW?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

BlLL:clap: :clap:

truck driver
03-25-2009, 01:06 AM
o.k. we are down to irridescent puppy dogs??

get drawing ladies and gentlemen... because I am sitting in a truck 1000 miles from my senneliers doesnt give you a right to be lazy...

RG

robertsloan2
03-25-2009, 05:12 PM
LOL yeah, someone needs to do the Iridescent Puppy Dog. Any takers? Or do I need to get out my Senneliers and attack that canine again?

Shirl Parker
03-25-2009, 06:56 PM
I can go iridescent.

robertsloan2
03-25-2009, 08:35 PM
Do it! EP and I have some colorful puppies that need a pearly playmate! LOL EP, yeah, I think mine lapped up the radioactive leftovers from the supermutant laboratory...

Scarefishcrow
03-26-2009, 12:46 AM
:lol: Now if we could just find someone with interference OP's we'd have the whole gam"mutt" covered!:lol:

BlLL

robertsloan2
03-26-2009, 08:29 AM
Sennelier needs to make interference OPs. That'd be wonderful.

oldrockchick
03-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Maybe I should try the puppy using just my 6 colour Gallery Artists Metallic set.

(What are 'interference' Pastels)

I have some Sennelier irridescnets but they include 4 shades of gold that are very similar and a yellow lol. Guess I should have a go with those too.

Peace out to all hippies.....
groovy, fab, hip and cool man.....:cat: :wave:

(I was born just a decade too late for it my teens were UK punk era lol)

eyepaint
03-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Pat, Robert, Bill - thank you.

Ok ... tap, tap, tap, ... where are the shiny metallic puppies???

Scarefishcrow
03-26-2009, 04:00 PM
Pat, Robert, Bill - thank you.

Ok ... tap, tap, tap, ... where are the shiny metallic puppies???

Hey, I'm with you, EP! I already drew my psychedelic puppy so long ago people forgot!

Here, I'll quote it so you don't have to search for it::smug:

Well, this is my initial take on the Puppy. I cropped close and focused on the head. Image smucded somewhat when I scanned it and I muddied some of the background by the nose trying to get the proportions right. Anyway, this is my study done with CD Neopastels on Frederix 8.5 x 11 Canvas Pad, no special preparation. Some detail added via sgrafitto. When sets hope to clean up some of the muddied background and rework it.
C&C welcome.

Note: Contrast a bit higher in image than IRL!

Closer to IRL:

Thanks for looking.

Ta Ta!

Shirl Parker
03-26-2009, 04:41 PM
Pretty sure this will be a disappointment to everyone, but the iridescence didn't come out too well, plus all that toe tapping made me so nervous, I rushed.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2009/113427-CCF26032009_00000.jpg

Pat Isaac
03-26-2009, 04:44 PM
You have to learn to ignore the tapping....EP....Nice copper? puppy. I find the iridescences hard to work with. Too transparent, but good for you.

Pat

robertsloan2
03-26-2009, 05:00 PM
Awww he's cute, Shirl. The Heavy Metal Puppy in gold and copper!

oldrockchick
03-26-2009, 05:35 PM
Ok Ok stop tapping, lol I just got in from the studio :P

I only have 6 different colours in metallics so I'll go do a nicy shiny 6 coloured psycho puppy just for you EP :P

and Shirl your puppy is cute.

I have already done a 'real' puppy already in this challenge so I'll do another just for fun.

oldrockchick
03-26-2009, 06:49 PM
Her y'all go.... just knocked this up since I got home....

ONE METALLIC PUPPYhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2009/179312-OP_metallic_puppy_26_Mar_09.jpg

I used 6 colours set of Gallery Artists Metallic OPs subsidised with a couple of Sennelier irridescents inc the white and silver.

I did it black paper as I dont' have any black metallics.

It is shinier in RL. the sheen doesn't show up on the scan.

Enjoy.

Scarefishcrow
03-26-2009, 07:07 PM
You did fine,Shirl! Besides,look at that glow inhis eye! If you get the eye right then that's what's really important!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

BILL

Pretty sure this will be a disappointment to everyone, but the iridescence didn't come out too well, plus all that toe tapping made me so nervous, I rushed.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2009/113427-CCF26032009_00000.jpg

Scarefishcrow
03-26-2009, 07:11 PM
Great job, too, ORC! I KNOW it's metallic'cause I thumped it on the screen and hear it CLANK like a piecr of metal!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
BlLL

ONE METALLIC PUPPYhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2009/179312-OP_metallic_puppy_26_Mar_09.jpg

I used 6 colours set of Gallery Artists Metallic OPs subsidised with a couple of Sennelier irridescents inc the white and silver.

Enjoy.

Scarefishcrow
03-26-2009, 07:18 PM
BTW,
Did I happen to mention I did this painting of the puppy EARLlER in the month?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BILL

Closer to IRL:

oldrockchick
03-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Thats very painterly Bill. More like paints than pastels. It's lovely! I like the way the puppy looks so attentive.

Scarefishcrow
03-26-2009, 08:53 PM
Thats very painterly Bill. More like paints than pastels. It's lovely! I like the way the puppy looks so attentive.

THANKS, ORC!
The canvas contributes to that effect, I think.

P.S.-Please pardon my quite shameless and obvious fishing for a comment. (oh and thanks for taking the obvius bait!):o

Pat Isaac
03-27-2009, 08:21 AM
Nice iridescent puppy, ORC and the black paper works well....I remember that cute pup, Bill.

Pat

eyepaint
03-27-2009, 10:37 AM
Bill - what shiny blue eyes your puppy has

Shirl - awww what a chubby wubby puppy. "MY dish!"

Oldrock - stunning metallic puppy!! Wow! Love the effect on the dark paper. You even have the wrinkles on the snout

:) :) :)

oldrockchick
03-27-2009, 01:52 PM
THANKS, ORC!
The canvas contributes to that effect, I think.

P.S.-Please pardon my quite shameless and obvious fishing for a comment. (oh and thanks for taking the obvius bait!):o
Ah gullible is my middle name :P :P :lol:

Oldrock - stunning metallic puppy!! Wow! Love the effect on the dark paper. You even have the wrinkles on the snout

:) :) :)

Well you did want a metallic puppy so that's what ya got. :lol:

I love working on black. I bought a Winsor & Newton Black Spiral bound sketch book. It is only medium weight cartridge but ok for OPs. It has a smooth texture. I have done one or 2 things in it. It's not bad for CPs too but needs LOADS of layers or WC pencil underwashes.

For the metallic and irridescent OPs it's great. It's a shame that the scan doesn't pick up all the metallic sparkle of the original piece though.

robertsloan2
03-28-2009, 03:18 AM

Enjoy.

I love it! The Heavy Metal Puppy! Looks like he wants some Kibbles n Bolts!

Excellent proportions and shading, even with the limited palette you managed to get a nice value range going and the iridescence of contrasting colors adds to the sparkle. This is probably incredible in real life, you're right that scans don't really capture a metallic effect well.

Great job on it!

GOSH
03-29-2009, 12:09 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Mar-2009/143278-around_milwaukie_146_800x600.jpg

Hello! Great works so far!
Here is my contribution before the month is over.

robertsloan2
03-29-2009, 01:11 AM
Gosh, your sunset is spectacular! I love the painterly strokes and that underlying pattern of radiance from the setting sun. It's so alive! This is fantastic. Rich colors, rich texture, wonderful treatment. That boat's sailing into the Twilight Zone and it's so beautiful.

What oil pastels did you use and what surface? I'm curious now, these effects are unique and spectacular. You have this focus on the sun with the radiating circular strokes that's almost sacred, it's magnificent.

truck driver
03-29-2009, 01:55 AM
Looks great GOSH!

GOSH
03-29-2009, 02:08 AM
Gosh, your sunset is spectacular! I love the painterly strokes and that underlying pattern of radiance from the setting sun. It's so alive! This is fantastic. Rich colors, rich texture, wonderful treatment. That boat's sailing into the Twilight Zone and it's so beautiful.

What oil pastels did you use and what surface? I'm curious now, these effects are unique and spectacular. You have this focus on the sun with the radiating circular strokes that's almost sacred, it's magnificent.

:cat: Gee, Thanks!

I used Colorfix and Senneliers: red, pink, orange, yellow, d.green., blues.
The circular strokes are because I didn't think painting in the horizontal would give it the feeling I wanted it to express and decided on a calm sea instead of a stormy one. I wish the colors would have been more shocking with each other but in the end it turned out very serene.

robertsloan2
03-29-2009, 03:33 AM
The colors vibrate with each other beautifully. You managed to make them richer with their combinations. I wouldn't have thought it was Senneliers just from the palette, I'm so used to the Sennelier neutrals. But you pulled a glorious shaded brilliance out of them! Wonderful reminder to look at the brights in my set and think in less literal ways.

oldrockchick
03-29-2009, 10:29 AM
Wow Gosh that is such a different version and I just love the circular stoke effect. An unusual take, especially moving the boat in front of the sun which gives it a lovely silhouette.
Marvellous

Pat Isaac
03-29-2009, 10:31 AM
Beautiful interpretation of the sunset, Gosh. The strokes are reminiscent of VanGogh.

Pat

robertsloan2
03-29-2009, 12:30 PM
Oops, sorry about that. I got mixed up between this thread and the weekly sketch thread and posted today's sketch here. So I am editing this comment to just an apology. I haven't slept last night and it is showing in how I'm making mistakes all over.

PiscesWoman
03-29-2009, 06:44 PM
Great Pic GOSH,

Love the colours and your interpretation. :clap:

Karen

Scarefishcrow
03-29-2009, 11:42 PM
GOSH that's a lovely sunset, GOSH! I thought the same as Pat about a Van Gogh look. Did you use any of RG's nibs doing this?

tyree
03-30-2009, 04:16 PM
:wave: my pup was done with cheapo op's on academie sketchbook....the critic of the house said he was not correctly proportioned at all:( hes right....but...i still love all his colours:p .....i thought everyone did a fine job with the photos!!!!! tyree

Pat Isaac
03-30-2009, 04:37 PM
Hi Tyree....nice to see you.
I do like your pup and the colors....and so he's a little out of proportion. You had fun.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
03-30-2009, 05:27 PM
Hi,Tyree!

Pat's right. You enjoyed. And . every one can't be perfect!

Bill:wave: :clap:

tyree
03-30-2009, 06:15 PM
:D thanks pat and bill....yes i have fun with colours...i normally just work in pencil....but ...lately...just feel colourful:p ....he is outofwack though:lol: tyree:wave:

Scarefishcrow
03-30-2009, 06:20 PM
....he is outofwack though:lol: tyree:wave:
IF it is any cosolation, SO AM I Mosf OF
THE TIME!!!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BILL:thumbsup:

oldrockchick
03-30-2009, 07:39 PM
I dont' think he's too out of proportion, maybe has a little extra puppy fat, but hey, he looks really loveable. Cheap OPs are NOT easy to work with either as I have found out.

After 18 months I've decided to splurge on some good ones though. Mainly as most of my old ones are now stubs.

I can't wait for the April challenge. Maybe, we could have a couple more pics? Then I could do them all... remember i will have 2 new sets of OPs by then :P :P

GOSH
03-30-2009, 08:29 PM
Beautiful interpretation of the sunset, Gosh. The strokes are reminiscent of VanGogh.

Pat

Thank you, Pat and thank you everybody for your kind reviews. It has been a while since I last played with the OPs; lately I've been experimenting and learning watercolor and gouache.
I think I will do this sunset again in a white Wallis instead of a d.blue Colorfix and see how it comes up the second time around. Didn't expect it to be anything similar to Van Gogh but I took a hint from Turner to some extent. :wave:

GOSH
03-30-2009, 08:39 PM
GOSH that's a lovely sunset, GOSH! I thought the same as Pat about a Van Gogh look. Did you use any of RG's nibs doing this?

Gosh, Bill, Gosh :cool:
No, I didn't use hubby's nibs. I just used a ruler and the edge of a nail clipper I had at hand to do the ropes. I couldn't possibly spoil his preciouses with rough sand paper.:rolleyes: Or mine. Though I thought about it for less than a tenth of a second. Thank you for your kind review.

truck driver
03-31-2009, 04:39 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2009/136518-ch-1.jpg

O.k. the picture sucks and the drawing isnt a whole lot better cray pas expressionists, on 140 lb watercolor paper

rg

truck driver
03-31-2009, 04:58 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2009/136518-ch-34.jpg

quite a bit happier with this version, though from the picture its hard to tell the differences:) I lightened the land mass in a few spots to give it definition, and deepened the wave troughs ,and lightened the edges of the waves, and the edges of the boat are now rounded.. though with the camera on my lapto you cant tell..

RG

truck driver
03-31-2009, 05:07 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2009/136518-ch65.jpg

next time I'll look at what I'm posting..

RG

AngelaF
03-31-2009, 07:06 AM
Like the colors and haziness in this alot, truck driver. I would like the shadow/reflection coming toward the viewer from the boat to be a little darker, to help anchor the boat.

Coming in here very late, looked at the whole thread --- lots of gorgeous and interesting sunsets and puppies!! Love some of the impasto effects some of you got. As usual, so interesting to see the variety of interpretations. Lots of good talent and work exhibited here. Angela

Pat Isaac
03-31-2009, 09:05 AM
Yes, the last one is much better. I like the deep rich colors in the sky. I agree with Angela about the boat reflection.

Pat

Shirl Parker
03-31-2009, 09:49 AM
Nice RG. I had a feeling those first two were hiding something good.

Scarefishcrow
03-31-2009, 12:57 PM
RG, I like it! You did a brighter rendition of the boat than most which makes it interesting!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Bill

truck driver
03-31-2009, 01:36 PM
And harder pushing to get hints of detail outta that photo..

What I do like about this is the land mass is very cool, I learned some things. mostly about the role of a knife in oil pastels for things other than scratching techniques..

RG

oldrockchick
03-31-2009, 02:28 PM
I like your last one best Trucker.
Way cool.

Scarefishcrow
03-31-2009, 04:01 PM
I learned some things. mostly about the role of a knife in oil pastels for things other than scratching techniques..

RG

For some strange reason I have a feeling I am going to regret having asked this, RG.

However, still believing that (as I heard someone say recently) "there are no dumb questions, just lots of poorly informed idiots around", what exactly did you learn?

Oh, the dilemma! Do I hit submit or the Back arrow????:confused:

Oh what the heck!:rolleyes:

Bill:eek:

robertsloan2
03-31-2009, 04:24 PM
Interesting landscape, RG. I like how you detailed the waves and improved them, you're getting good at spotting changes to make. Seems like you were layering by picking up color with a knife to press it on. I haven't tried that yet, right now I mostly use knives for scratching even though I got an actual nice set of painting knives. I don't think of them often in relation to OP, more in terms of paint.

But I should try them sometime, it'd be a new texture for me too.

truck driver
03-31-2009, 10:11 PM
Actually it was an Xacto knife, not a painting knife. How to lighten oil pastels by very lightly scraping, how to control how deep you scrape to get to one of several different layers beneath what your working on, and mostly how you can achieve detail doing this.. Oh yes, and scraping out areas where other things go. Like the sun, and the boat.

RG

RG

robertsloan2
03-31-2009, 11:14 PM
That's very cool, RG. I have an exacto knife set too, it's even almost in reach. I might try that sometime, though I usually use the blunter nail cleaning blade on my nail clippers when I want to scrape up OP -- it doesn't actually tear up the paper any and I don't have to be as careful with it. But the exacto knife might get into smaller areas to pick out just a detail showing an underlayer

Scarefishcrow
04-01-2009, 04:42 PM
Actually it was an Xacto knife, not a painting knife. How to lighten oil pastels by very lightly scraping, how to control how deep you scrape to get to one of several different layers beneath what your working on, and mostly how you can achieve detail doing this.. Oh yes, and scraping out areas where other things go. Like the sun, and the boat.

RG

RG

Actually, RG, Ken Leslie describes how to use that technique in some detail in his OP book.