View Full Version : Transfer to velour paper

02-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Hello all!

I want to do a Rottweiler (was my first dog and had to be put down last May because of bone cancer at the age of 12) on velour paper in soft pastels.
So far I never did sketches, I went on the paper and struggled along:wink2: .. But I want to improve.. but how do I get the layout (or how do you call it?) from the original on to the velour?
How does it work- with transparent paper???
Does anybody have a picture (foto) how it is done correctly???

Thanx a lot for any suggestions..

Greetings Veronika

02-26-2009, 09:51 PM
Hi Veronika!

I wish I had an easy answer to your question. There are many ways of trying to sketch or lay out your subject onto the paper. Most of the time, I do exactly what you are doing, trying to place the dog (or whatever) directly onto the paper by using my eye and starting to draw. When using this method, make sure you start with very light lines or marks. Try to judge the large shapes first, perhaps making a small mark for the height and the width, or small marks for certain parts of the body. Then you can continually revise or correct the proportions as you go along. Don't do any details until you have the largest shapes in the correct place and at the correct size.

If you want to measure, there are many ways to do it. You can use a grid. You can measure distances right from your photo.

I just completed a measurement lesson in my portrait classroom. It is not a dog portrait, but it might give you some ideas.


I hope this helps!


02-26-2009, 11:54 PM
Hello. Yes, there are many ways to get your image onto your choice of supports. My favorite way is to draw a full-size picture in pencil on drawing paper, putting in all the values I need. At least 5 values---this helps me in 2 ways--getting the drawing correct---and understanding the values. If I am working a landscape outdoors, I do thumbnails for the values and comp. If I am indoors working on a dog or a horse or pigs or something of that nature, I do the drawing, with all the values----Then I use a graphite tranfer paper, called Seral, in white or graphite, and trace MY OWN DRAWING right onto my support of choice. I only trace my own work, no one eleses work. Then using my value study-drawing, I fininish the work. If its a landscape from a photo with a compostion that is good, I use a grid-method and size-up form the photo in correct porportions, like in the above linc's-------Good luck! enjoy the process, and enjoy your work!

K Taylor-Green
02-27-2009, 01:17 AM
I also do a drawing on regular paper. I then trace it, turn it over and go over the lines with a charcoal pencil. Then I place it charcoal side down on the velour, lightly tape it in place, and go over the lines with the bowl part of a spoon. This keeps the lines lightly on the velour instead of indenting into it.
I make mistakes when I draw and have to erase and correct. You can't erase on velour.

Donna T
02-27-2009, 09:54 AM
Hi Veronika, I use the same method that Katherine mentioned above. If I can't see my drawing lines when I turn the paper over I tape it to a window. Usually this makes the lines visible and it's easy to see if I've missed covering any with the charcoal.


02-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Hello again!

And thank you all a lot for your answers.. first Im going to study the "messurment thread" then Im goin to draw some gridding lines over the photo... maybe then I get it right, dont know if I will use transparent paper or direct velour...
Ill let you know- I think I will show you what Im doing, so evryone can help me "see" ;)

Bye so long, Veronika

03-01-2009, 04:30 PM
hi veronika,
what im doing is in gimp i scale the reference photo to the size i want to draw it then i tape a tracing paper on my laptop screen o.ver the photograph and draw the lines with a pencil then i lay it on top of my pastelpaper and go over it so it brings the lines on the pastelpaper , so i dont have to print the photo each time