PDA

View Full Version : Gamblin featured in Portland Tribune

scottb
08-13-2002, 01:11 PM
A great article about our good friends at Gamblin. Thought you guys might want to take a look. :)

http://www.portlandtribune.com/archview.cgi?email&id=12420

Cheers.
Scott

Wayne Gaudon
08-13-2002, 02:31 PM
good reading

guillot
08-13-2002, 03:34 PM
Very interesting Scott. Thanks for the info.

Tina

musket
08-13-2002, 08:03 PM
I have nothing against Gamblin, but it's misleading to describe them as the only small paint manufacturer in America... what about Robert Doak (my favorite), Williamsburg, David Davis, Sarkana, and Graham?

sarkana
08-14-2002, 11:40 AM
guess we're just too small to be considered! its hard to put us in the same category as gamblin anyway, seeing as he has a factory and everything, and is nationally distributed. most of us tiny operators are really more handcrafters than manufacturers. at sarkana, we work out of a painting studio in a basement in brooklyn.

ps: staying afloat in a sector with w&n and gamblin is very difficult, so support your handcrafter/small manufacturer of choice!

musket
08-14-2002, 01:29 PM
I find it hard to believe that Robert Gamblin is unaware of the existence of Williamsburg, even if he has never heard of Sarkana, Doak, Davis or Graham. This kind of attempt to gain prestige by attributing "stand alone exclusivity" to a manufacturer who has no business making such a claim doesn't wash with me.

Even if the truly small outfits don't qualify for the dubious distinction of being "real manufacturers," I don't think the same can be said of Williamsburg anymore. How many tubes a day they fill I have no idea, but you can buy their paints at numerous art supply stores all across the US... even in Keene, NH, which is a mere fifty miles south of my town.

G.L. Hoff
08-14-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by musket
I have nothing against Gamblin, but it's misleading to describe them as the only small paint manufacturer in America... what about Robert Doak (my favorite), Williamsburg, David Davis, Sarkana, and Graham?

Bingo. And for my money, those folks make very good paint (I haven't tried Davis, but I have tubes of all the others). Not knocking Gamblin--haven't used their stuff--just that the others do make very good paint.

Regards

musket
08-14-2002, 05:28 PM
Having heard good things about them, I stopped in at Davis's shop on Bleecker St last time I was in the Apple... but the lighting was dreadful, the color charts appeared to be a million years old and were so filthy you could barely make out the colors of the very small swatch samples, and the help was inattentive... and so, across the bridge and back to Doak's shop, where things are exactly the opposite.

G.L. Hoff
08-14-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by musket ... and so, across the bridge and back to Doak's shop, where things are exactly the opposite. [/B]

The opposite, indeed. You almost can't get Robert to stop talking when you call. But good products. Good products.

Regards

scottb
08-31-2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by musket

I couldn't agree more. Sometimes, journalists have a habit of massaging the truth to fit the piece. Who knows?

At any rate, you may want to take a look at what we are doing with our new Review System here at WC! We are focusing on Oil Paints initially, but are laying the ground work out to move into other areas soon (additives, oils, pigments, as well as broader categories, such as watercolor paints, acrylics, pastels, easels, brushes, ad nauseum).

In the demo, you'll see that we've already populated it with the ones you mentioned, as well as many others, like Michael Harding.

The discussion:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57019

The demo:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Reviews

I invite everyone to hop into the discussion linked above to provide your thoughts on the review system. :)

Cheers.
Scott