PDA

View Full Version : Registered Mustang - soft pastels

bjcpaints
02-22-2009, 12:45 PM
Hi! My first post to the Equine Forum! This is a commission 11 X 14" on Richeson pastel hardboard (new to me) - soft & a few hard pastels and a few pastel pencils for details.
First a WIP shot:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Feb-2009/49636-01-30-09_019.jpg
Here it is signed, but not framed, so suggestions welcomed.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Feb-2009/49636-01-30-09_024.jpg
Thanks for looking!

ARTMUTT
02-22-2009, 02:54 PM
Nice color and the background reminds me of a fall day after the rain.

FaeLynn
02-22-2009, 06:11 PM
Hey there! Do you have a reference photo? I am finding the tack a bit confusing. I really like the background you have there!

yorkhorse
02-22-2009, 07:00 PM
That is a mechanical hackamore on the horse. Wow, if it is that tight in reality, well, just wow. I would like to see a reference photo, too. I love the coloring of the horse, but would like to see the face.

darkangels
02-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Nice work Barbara !! :)

FaeLynn, it seems to be a hackamore (sp?) (bitless bridle) over a halter, although it does look as if the bottom part of the cheek strap is missing on the hackamore (sp?) ???? Could also just be my eye sight..lol. i am partially blind :)

FaeLynn
02-22-2009, 09:58 PM
That's one thing I meant, the bottom strap of the hackamore, plus as Linda said, a bit tight looking... I would love to see that horse's coloring in real life, it looks beautiful.

bjcpaints
02-23-2009, 05:16 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2009/49636-crackerjack_crop.jpg
Oh geez - he's sideways! Sorry!

Thank you so much for you comments/interest. I rode bareback mostly growing up, (farm friends) so I no nothing about tack!
This guy is full of personality and his owner is a tiny little women almost 8o years old who smacks him when he needs it! LOL I hope to be half as active as she is at that age!

yorkhorse
02-23-2009, 06:06 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2009/170209-mustangcollage.jpg

I did a little digital manip on your photo and your drawing. I hope you don't mind. All I did was rotate the photo and adjust the color. But on the drawing, you can see the 3 yellow circles. To me, it would look a lot less ...hmmm...uncomfortable if you 'loosened' the two straps I circled, and made the side of the hackamore bit a little longer. Does that make any sense? The horse is a really good match...looks just like him. But that hackamore bothers! Look at the inset crop to see what I did.
Ignore me if I am out of line.

FaeLynn
02-24-2009, 08:33 AM
Yes, you got it very close! What a cool horse, too. Do you mean that the 80 year old woman still rides him? Wow if she does, very neat. I have an 80 year old aunt who still rides a bike and does her own farming, has apples, peaches, onions, tomatoes and limas and corn. She does cross country skiing too!
Anyway, based on the photo, I reckon I would be pretty satisfied.

bjcpaints
02-24-2009, 05:34 PM
Thnak you so much Linda! I knew that there was an "issue" in that area. I was not sure it wasn't due to the foreshortening as the whole body and head were turning in the pose. You will notice I changed the reins to not go out of the picture and maybe I was overcompensating. I did get to "meet" this horse and he has so much personality! I love animals and that is my crux I guess you could say for painting. I never painted or had much art experience until I quit smoking about 7 years ago. Most of what I have learned has been from Wet Canvas! Thanks again for your time and comments! I hope I can fix this up and frame for delivery this weekend.
FaeLynn, Yes she is an amazing woman and he is a really cool horse! His name is Crackerjack. Thanks again for looking and commenting. You made me feel better.:) I hope I get to ride him sometime myself and I am already wondering what will happen to him - he is only 8 years old. I have the land and live where I could keep him - maybe when I retire - in about 6 yrs..... My husband already thinks I'm crazy.:wink2: