GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: georges
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 1ftx1ft
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I have just come back off holiday in Devon, and a dolphin came into the bay, we all ended up swimming with it. This peice is based on memory, as i did not have my camera with me.

This is intended for exhibition in september. The canvas is square but my scanner only does oblong!
Also light got in at one side so I have photoshopped it to try and balance the tones- but they are still a bit off
Apologies!

Chris M-B

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
My question is I am trying to get depth into the sea, without loosing the dolphin- merging into the background, should I change the colours on him? Also I am trying to not make him look to "happy" or "pretty" does anyone know where I can find reference images of dolphins to give me an idea of the "face" area?

drquinn
08-13-2002, 05:30 PM
wonderful wave effect. Nice action happening and beautifully depicted shoreline. There may be just a bit too much action for my liking, but everthing else here is excellent.

Christine Mallaband
08-13-2002, 08:22 PM
To say thanks for your comments- perhaps it is a bit fussy?
still Ive given up on it- next project- another cat!
Chris M-B:rolleyes:

Ceu
08-13-2002, 10:30 PM
what I like best is the water come down the dolphins back, it looks for wonderful and refreshing. beautiful work.

giniaad
08-13-2002, 10:48 PM
fine memory you have
wouldn't change the colors
very rich and alive
an idealized version, perhaps, but beautifully done
your water is fantastic!

all dolphins look happy...
it's just the structure of their faces
(faces?)

so you went swimming with a dolphin?!
lucky you!
and lucky it was a friendly one...
but with that smile...of course he was...:D

Corrie Scott
08-13-2002, 11:06 PM
You must have a photographic memory. Looks wonderful

jerryW
08-14-2002, 07:34 AM
fun and vitality and spirit are working for you here. the treatment of water is stunning.
animal portraits accentuate the problem with portraits in general which is the tendency to have a figure central in a scene. since animals are so close to nature it can be easier for the artist to remedy.
here you have managed the balance by making the waves and shore equally magnificent as the creature.

Christine Mallaband
08-14-2002, 04:34 PM
I am so pleased that everyone has had such kind things to say about Georges! I swam with him ( and about 45 other humans) for over an hour . It was very cold. He has lots of cuts on his sides and nicks in his dorsal fin where he has got too close to propellers. He was identified by the lifeguard at the beach, and apparently often comes inshore to swim with people. (the rest of the school only stayed for a few minutes.
It was such a memorable experience. i got to stroke his belly several times because he would swim up underneath you and turn onto his back. Dolphins feel really smooth!
I still cant stop grinning!

LoL
Chris :clap: