PDA

View Full Version : Developing your Signature...?

Bethany_Fields
02-16-2009, 03:24 PM
Hi all!

I am wondering what, if any, considerations you took to develop your signature (meaning - the name or initials you use to sign your paintings.) I have seen full names, last names. initials and a mix of all of these. Did you research other artists names before deciding how to sign? Making sure if someone had the same last name or initials, yours was presented differently? Or am I overthinking? :) Coming from the acting world, names are so highly competitive....and are registered with the Unions. I know that this is probably a silly question, But I have no idea! Just wondering as I've been contemplating how to sign my work.

Happy Monday!

HopperARTZ
02-16-2009, 03:43 PM
I use KatW. , my nickname and last inital, to sign my paintings. I choose to do it that way partly because I don't like having my real name out on the internet. I post my art on a less secure site with a lot of younger people so I didn't want it out there. Also because I don't really like big sigs, I feel that sometimes they can take away from the painting. They are just there to give proof that you did the painting and that's it. At least in my opinoin. ^.^

CM Neidhofer
02-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Mine is ChrisTy. A combo of my first name and the first two letters of my maiden name. When I first started working with pastels, I was at the end of a bad marriage and decided that if I ever made it as a selling artist, I didn't want my then husband, now ex, to be able to say so easily..."I was married to her!" lol And both last names are very recognizable as to their heritage, which may or may not be detrimental these days. If Bruce and I ever get married, I'll change my sig then, since it will be much more managable and I'll be able to use the actual name! Probably some silly reasons for my sig, but they're my reasons!! lol

Christine

DAK723
02-16-2009, 04:15 PM
If you are selling paintings to a gallery, or in a show, what name do you want to be recognized or remembered by? Do you want to be known by just your last name such as Monet or Renoir. Do you prefer the more familiar Bethany? You have used BFields as your user name here, that would be a good choice, especially if you are aware of any other artists named Fields. If somebody looks at your painting on the wall of someone else's house - they should be able to tell who the artist is - and look you up if need be. That is why I would stay away from initials or something unidentifiable. That is the way I look at it.

Don

Colorix
02-16-2009, 04:16 PM
I'm of the "scool of thought" preferring small siggies. I've made a very simple monogram with my initials, and I usually 'hide' it in some area where it isn't glaringly obvious. Or, I use it to give variety to an otherwise empty area, using a colour of the same value but another hue.

My name is longish, and if I sign first and last name on a 8x12", it'll take all the space. Rembrandt could sign full name on his 3-4 yards long canvases, and it'd hardly be visible! But smaller work definitely gets my CH.

But, I sign in full on the *back* of the painting, with year-month-day, title, my name, my sig, paper, photographer of the ref (if I get it from the RIL) and also a note on what is acid free (pastels, paper, "lining", mat, tape). One of my paintings was reframed, and the framer had stamped on the backing that *he'd* used acid free materials too! :-D So those scribbled words of mine did have a use, when the customer took it for reframing.

Charlie

Donna T
02-16-2009, 05:06 PM
I just use my last name -'keeps them guessing whether I'm a male or female and there's no opportunity for prejudice, even if it's unintentional. I attach a business card to the back of each painting to take some of the mystery away.

Donna

Deborah Secor
02-16-2009, 05:52 PM
Mine is D. Secor. Simple. I sign with a #2 pencil, and although you can see it (especially if you turn the painting up into the light--it's slightly shiny), it isn't too big or important in the composition.

Deborah

knippes
02-17-2009, 09:13 AM
I use Kym and the year, and write it with #2 pencil. I do need to work on coming up with a more artistic looking signature though. My Kym is pretty boring.
-Kym

Colorix
02-17-2009, 09:16 AM
Pencil is a good idea, thank you!

Charlie

Potoma
02-17-2009, 10:43 AM
I sign BF Butler in part b/c it's shorter than what I used to sign in watercolors, which was first, maiden, last. It's also genderless.

When I was married (BPE - Before Pastel Era), I didn't mind signing that way, but after divorcing, for a long time I simultaneously 1) didn't want to sign my married name and 2) didn't want to go through the legal hassles of changing my name back, b/c it didn't really identify me either. It was a mental wall for several years. Just last summer, I chose to just make it as simple as possible and keep it that way regardless of the future. It's been a process arriving here. Further, I didn't want to be just Bonnie Butler, b/c there are several artists out there with that name.

I sign in a hard pastel that blends in.

Bethany_Fields
02-17-2009, 11:09 AM
I hadn't thought about the #2 pencil either...had tried using a pastel pencil but it was a bit hard to get a clean sig. Thanks for the thoughts!

saramathewson
02-17-2009, 12:14 PM
I use first initial and last name. I have a cousin who is an artist in Austria with the same first initial and last name. I have no idea how he signs his paintings. I just hope it isn't the same. Our art is so different that no one would ever think that his stuff was mine and mine was his though. my last name is long, but I didn't want to just do initials. I have been signing with a pastel pencil, but will think about using a pencil. I hadn't thought of that.

Sara

K Taylor-Green
02-17-2009, 11:36 PM
I sign my full name, but fairly small and not intrusive.

rltromble
02-17-2009, 11:51 PM
Half the time I don't even sign my work. But usually its my initials and my last name R.L. Tromble, and some times its my first and last name. I am safe in part because it is a less common variation of Trembly or trombly.

annette71
02-18-2009, 01:09 AM
I sign A. Bárcenas, in a color that harmonizes with the painting either on the left or right bottom corners. It's not loo large, but very visible. I want to start writing also the year, but i always forget.

Charlie's idea about writing more information in the back is great. I may try that at some point.

Annette

PeggyB
02-18-2009, 01:15 PM
As is Charlie's full name, mine is also very long. Many, Many years ago I chose to use a stylized calligraphy letter B on the front of the painting. Also like Charlie I put my full name, repeat the stylized letter B, title of the work, and copywrite date on the back. Great minds huh Charlie? :lol: I use a well sharpened pastel pencil in a color that doesn't stand out much from it's background.

Peggy

Scottyarthur
02-22-2009, 09:28 AM
It took me some time to figure mine out, I wanted something different. Although it is my initials, it is set up as a logo, SL with an A over the SL normally hidden on the right side and with a similuar color as to not stand out.