PDA

View Full Version : Wendy's Landscape classroom revisited

Colorix
02-15-2009, 05:47 PM
Hi, now I've been messing around with stuff I know nothing about. Watercolours, to be more precise. Had a scrap "hole" lying about, a center from a mat I cut, which I filled with watercolour. I made my own choices of which colour to use for the underpainting, and I chose totally differently, nothing at all like the paint-along shows... But as I think it really doesn't matter if the colours are exact or not, I'll go with it.

Then I applied transparent Colourfix over it, with the aid of a folded foam baby-wipe, and decided to use it as a brush and not stipple.

Then I discovered that the matboard was curling, so I slopped water on the back of it, and it sort of straightened. We'll see tomorrow how it dries.

Watercolour, applied any which way, mostly as if it was oil-paint... :
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Feb-2009/117343-OP-pa-Path-mmf3.jpg

Rob, when you read this, there is an oddity you'll notice -- part of the grass on the other side of the wall is started in green, although it is in light, and is 'local colour'. Reason is I went with the shadow aspect of grass, as it really is a surface that has both lights and shadows in it, and the other reason is that blue was already taken, but I still wanted a 'distant' colour.

And here it is with Colourfix primer, still not entirely dry:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Feb-2009/117343-OP-pa-Path-mmf10.jpg

Will be exiting to get to the actual OPs!

Charlie

Pat Isaac
02-15-2009, 08:29 PM
I am putting a link to the original classroom here..http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478800
and am adding the posts that have been done anew.
Pat

Pat Isaac
02-16-2009, 09:56 AM
Nice start, Charlie. I never did finish mine. Maybe I should get it out....

Pat

robertsloan2
02-16-2009, 10:20 AM
Great underpainting, Charlie!

Thanks for mentioning that about local color, Charlie! I guess using the green in that patch is going to give you very strong green in that patch or that you'll knock it down with other layers.

Interesting that the mat board curled. I've got a piece of light colored mat sitting next to me from when I matted Sea Crash that I was thinking of priming. I may not want to use a heavy water underpainting on it.

That is going to come out so beautiful. I want to try the same project, have been catching up my softies projects but will start soon! Pat, thanks for posting the link.

Colorix
02-16-2009, 11:24 AM
Pat, thank you, and it would be cool if you did finish yours!

Rob, thanks, I'm messing with stuff, really not knowing even how to deal with wc. The board curled, and it was a *thick* board. It dried slightly curved, but I just left it to dry, no pressure put on it or nothing.

OK, I'm fighting having too few colours, especially a lack of tints. I've put at least one layer of OP over every part of the painting, but found I was repeating shapes, so I'll have to deal with that later. Rubbing the first layers in resulted in a 'glaze' that felt dry to the touch, so I could get another layer on top. I guess I'll have to switch to broken colour, when (if?) it settles and allow me more layers. I also realize I have to become a watercolourist... would've been better to establish perfect values before switching to OP.

Sort of a stage 2, but it needs more work:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2009/117343-OP-pa-L-first-layer-mmf3.jpg

I'll let it settle over night.

Btw, a question about fixative: I take it that Sennelier's OP fix isn't a workable fix?

And, how does Wendy do her paintings? (Rethorical question.)

Charlie

robertsloan2
02-16-2009, 01:19 PM
I haven't even tried Sennelier's OP fixative but from its description on Blick it's a final varnish to keep dust off of OP paintings. I wouldn't think an OP really needed workable fixative.

Though I have sometimes given a spritz of regular workable fixative to a sketch or underpainting before applying the clear Colourfix primer just to reduce the amount of watercolor migrating. From Pat stickying this thread I think this is the place to post my project too.

Now it's our turn to cut up and get silly and make a lot of noise when Wendy's not around...

Scarefishcrow
02-16-2009, 02:21 PM
Now it's our turn to cut up and get silly and make a lot of noise when Wendy's not around...

Hey, no fair. I'm telling Wendy two pupils were very tardy and are acting up and need a stern talking to!!!!

(BTW, Charlie, I keep asking Wendy how she gets the effects she does, too. She seems to get the look of a soft pastel from the OP's like no one I've seen!)

Now, I'm gonna keep an eye on you all and I will report any unbecoming behavior to Wendy!!!!:evil:

Bill:angel:

sundiver
02-16-2009, 02:34 PM
And, how does Wendy do her paintings? (Rethorical question.)
Charlie

Badly, in the case of the one I've been working on lately! I've washed half of it off with turps already, re-(over)worked it, and may wash the whole thing off again.
It doesn't look so bad if I shrink it
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2009/6393-IMG_7285manip.jpg

I've never tried Colorfix clear primer, but Golden and W&N both have one that is a thick gel, and less likely to cause warping. I've use it on matboard without warping.

And I don't know of any workable fixative except time! And sometimes the freezer.

Great start; pulling up a chair.:thumbsup:

Colorix
02-16-2009, 02:48 PM
Rob, thanks, I read another thread on fix here that made me think it wouldn't work, but still nurtured a small hope... And the reason I'd want such a fixative is that I fear nothing more will go on top of this soft coloured butter that is of room temerature. Even if I freeze it, it would thaw in 5 minutes. But, if it hardens, it may work. (Don't trust it to happen, not yet, I need more experience.) I figure Pat wants us to post here, as she moved my first post with an image away from the original thread.

Bill, you're such a snitch! I'm a head-girl now, too, so being head-boy isn't any advantage to you! So there! ;-D

(Wikipedia informs me that Americans have become aware of the term head boy/girl through reading Harry Potter.)

Looks like She -- Queen Guinevere, aka Wendy -- uses a lot of light values on top of darker ones. Might that be The Secret?

Charlie

Pat Isaac
02-16-2009, 03:14 PM
I moved this thread so that more people would see it and maybe join in. The other thread was in the library.
OPs take patience.....:eek: that terrible word. Sometimes I have to let mine set up for several days. There is no workable fix for OPs.
Looks pretty good to me Wendy.

Pat

Colorix
02-16-2009, 03:37 PM
Oh, Wendy, Hi! Missed your post, as I was typing... you know how it is..

Thank you, but I think I'm overdoing the colour..., but I only have the Erengi 50 or so, mostly very saturated colours. But hey, it is fun to venture into a new medium.

You small one looks beautiful! To me it is gloriously vibrant, with a nice S-curve of pink path taking us beyond.

OK, I'll have to trust you guys, it'll settle. I've used oilpaint before, and it is way softer, but it dries...

Thanks,
Charlie

Scarefishcrow
02-16-2009, 06:28 PM

Bill, you're such a snitch! I'm a head-girl now, too, so being head-boy isn't any advantage to you! So there! ;-D

(Wikipedia informs me that Americans have become aware of the term head boy/girl through reading Harry Potter.)

Looks like She -- Queen Guinevere, aka Wendy -- uses a lot of light values on top of darker ones. Might that be The Secret?

Charlie

Only because she went away and Leo and I got BUSTED BIG TIME for cutting up while the teacher was away. My knuckles still hurt from the rapping they took from the teach's ruller!!!!!

BTW, Congratulations on being head-girl!! Do they pay you as much as they pay me?? Pat gave me a raise the other day and doubled my salary!!!!! Isn't she great!:lol:

Bill:wave:

Pat Isaac
02-16-2009, 06:36 PM
What?...what?....don't believe a word he says...raise? unheard of around here..:lol:

Pat

sundiver
02-16-2009, 07:19 PM
Alright, Bill, that's enough! Perhaps you would work better in the hall, hmmm?

(Actually I probably said that today to some 13-year-old)

(BTW, Charlie, I keep asking Wendy how she gets the effects she does, too. She seems to get the look of a soft pastel from the OP's like no one I've seen!)
Bill:angel:

That's because I started out with soft pastels and switched because of allergies- don't know any other way to do it!

Scarefishcrow
02-16-2009, 07:53 PM
:lol: What?...what?....don't believe a word he says...raise? unheard of around here..:lol:

Pat

I.e.,

2 x $0 = $0 :lol:

If you want to talk more you'll have to come out into the hallway!! That's apparently where you'll find me according to the teach!:lol:

Bill

robertsloan2
02-16-2009, 10:36 PM
Badly, in the case of the one I've been working on lately! I've washed half of it off with turps already, re-(over)worked it, and may wash the whole thing off again.
It doesn't look so bad if I shrink it
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2009/6393-IMG_7285manip.jpg

I've never tried Colorfix clear primer, but Golden and W&N both have one that is a thick gel, and less likely to cause warping. I've use it on matboard without warping.

And I don't know of any workable fixative except time! And sometimes the freezer.

Great start; pulling up a chair.:thumbsup:

It's pretty! I don't know what overworked looks like, but that isn't it.

It blows me away sometimes how pretty some of them look reduced to thumbnails or when I'm sitting across the room instead of six inches away from the surface trying to place color exactly.

[passes note to Charlie]

Colorix
02-17-2009, 06:12 AM
:lol:

I.e.,

2 x $0 = $0 :lol:

If you want to talk more you'll have to come out into the hallway!! That's apparently where you'll find me according to the teach!:lol:

Bill

Bill, couldn't said it better! Next raise will be a tripling of the riches!

(Catching note from Rob, texting on cellphone to Bill in the hallway.)

Charlie

Colorix
02-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Hi again,

Been doing some more homework. (Hey, Rob, lookatwhadIvedone! When's yours coming!)

I'm sort of keeping the upper right corner one step ahead of the middle ground, which is one step ahead of the foreground... Breaking with my method, in almost every aspect. Thought is that if you work all over, it is way easier to judge all aspects. Got so disoriented by the new medium I reverted to comfort zone from many years before.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2009/117343-OP-pa-landscape-2-mmf1.jpg

Any advice and comments most welcome!

Charlie

robertsloan2
02-17-2009, 11:59 AM
Charlie, that is shimmering off the page! I love the extreme aerial perspective, those brilliant warms in the foreground and the soft tints in the background. You've demonstrated in this exactly what you meant by "adding white doesn't show the light, it's using brights that shows the light." The back looks cool and misty, the foreground blazing sun. It has a neat balance right at this stage.

I might start mine today, got out the paper yesterday and then got distracted by long photography session. It shouldn't take that long just to do the sketch and underpainting, or sketch with the paint. I might sketch with the paint.

Well! It's started -- I did the sketch and have a garish underpainting drying on a block right now before I put the clear Colourfix primer on it. I want it flat dry before I start adding any primer. It's ugly but it's organized and I know where everything goes on it. I'm sure once I use oil pastels on it that it'll look a whole lot better.

robertsloan2
02-17-2009, 01:19 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2009/70184-FlowersLandscapeUnderpainting.jpg

Now it's dried. Colors aren't that true but they're good for me, just wanted to share it more or less how I did it. The greens aren't that blue. The blue is Ultramarine rather than a greenish blue except where I put it over green of course. I used Sakura Koi pan watercolors because of the handy water-handle brush and the darks are also stronger on the real underpainting.

Now to put some primer on it and let it rest tonight, since I like letting the primer have all night to set up before doing oil pastels or pastels.

Also, Wendy, thank you for mentioning that the dirt on Prince Edward Island is that pink. I used to visit Mississippi when I lived in New Orleans and parts of Louisiana have that red or pink dirt too, so I had a good idea of what to do with its underpainting. The scan makes it look more like the pink of the flowers, but in the real underpainting it's not, it's more of an earth reds pink with a little Alizarin to pink it up from Burnt Sienna.

Scarefishcrow
02-17-2009, 03:11 PM
CHARLIE, ROBERT,

Looks like you are both off to a great start. Now lets see how attentive you have been. My result from this class is the last of the three images in my signature line. I especially like it that small. Work BIG, display small and everything looks good (sometimes you have to go smaller than other times).:lol:

Bill:clap:

Colorix
02-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Bill, I've never before seen such a small siggy banner... LOL! Usually, people try to make them too big, but you're right -- the smaller the better! :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2009/117343-ROFLOL_big.gif It looks great, really, seriously.

(I'm so glad I can play in this forum, love it, love you guys! And I'm getting hooked... seems I'll be both a dustie and a gooie... just because you guys are so great! And because my first love was oils, and OPs behave a tad more like oils. Can't do oils anymore, as my wrists refuse to let me. Crayons, sticks, work great, though. Real oil sticks look interesting, but they still won't make a durable surface.)

Rob, looks fine to me, your underpainting. Path is definitely way warmer than flowers, and one flower has the greatest contrast. But I only see a very warm blue.

The Erengi is just a set, right? No open stock? What would you recommend me to get, as I lack tints? I guess the only thing I can get locally is Senneliers. Need to check that, though.

Charlie

Pat Isaac
02-17-2009, 05:13 PM
You guys are off to a great start....for tints I would recommend Holbeins. they are pricey but you can get them in open stock.

Pat

robertsloan2
02-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Jerry's has open stock Erengi, but ASW doesn't. I don't know of anywhere else you can get Erengi but there are open stock sticks at Jerry's. Caran d'Ache Neopastel has good tints. I love the tints in my 48 color set, there's about a dozen of them. Holbein has the most tints, open stock available at Dakota and Jerry's. Sennelier has a few good tints too, they're just hard to sort out because they are so disorganized in how they list everything.

Pat's probably right about Holbeins being your best choice for tints even though they're pricy. Holbein has tints of every color they have so it should be possible to get exactly the ones you need looking at Holbeins.

LOL your tiny tiny siggie banner, Bill! It looks good but it also makes my sig look so huge! Agree, everything looks so cool when reduced that small.

Colorix
02-18-2009, 10:47 AM
Pat, Rob, thanks for the advice on tints and brands.

Worked a bit more on it today. Don't know if you can see much difference, but I've tried to soften the wall, and punch up the bush. I saw a comment Wendy had made in the original thread about wanting the center of interest to be clear, but not punch you in the face. I guess I'm more of a pugilist... :o

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2009/117343-OP-pa-Landscape-3-mmf3.jpg

While mine doesn't look anything like Wendy's, I'm still amazed at how much one can do with a very limited palette with way limited values.

Charlie

Pat Isaac
02-18-2009, 10:49 AM
Wall is looking good as are the flowers on the left.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
02-19-2009, 02:50 AM
Bill, I've never before seen such a small siggy banner... LOL! Usually, people try to make them too big, but you're right -- the smaller the better! :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2009/117343-ROFLOL_big.gif It looks great, really, seriously.

(I'm so glad I can play in this forum, love it, love you guys! And I'm getting hooked... seems I'll be both a dustie and a gooie... just because you guys are so great! And because my first love was oils, and OPs behave a tad more like oils. Can't do oils anymore, as my wrists refuse to let me. Crayons, sticks, work great, though. Real oil sticks look interesting, but they still won't make a durable surface.)

Charlie

Charlie, that is great! I guess it just seems to me if you can't have a little fun and still do serious art then what's the point. If you can't laugh at yourself now and then you are probably taking yourself way to seriously!!

I LOVE THAT gif and I can tell you right now that PAT HAS ALREADY STOLEN IT AND STASHED IT AWAY TO USE LATER!

SHE'S A GIF KELPTOMANIAC:lol: .

Robert, both you and Charlie are doing a great job with this.

Bill:thumbsup:

Pat Isaac
02-19-2009, 08:55 AM
What gif???I don't see a gif......:evil:

Pat

Scarefishcrow
02-19-2009, 12:51 PM
What gif???I don't see a gif......:evil:

Pat

Sure you don't! I'll believe that when pigs fly!:lol:

Bill

Colorix
02-19-2009, 01:21 PM
I don't see no gif either... call the cops, she stole the gif I'd honestly stolen! (I hoard them too... :o )

Ta-dah! Finished, it'd better be, or I'll have to scrape goo from sticks and press it on the painting with a knife.

It is not exactly subdued..... :cool:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2009/117343-OP-Rhodo-finish-mmmf6.jpg

This is exactly (nearly) how it looks indoors at night (and before anyone has fun -- indoor lights, bulbs). Very fg is peachier, though.

C&C most welcome, especially on technique, but of course on painting too!

Charlie

Pat Isaac
02-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Wonderful, Charlie. I love your bold color. Wow you are fast...
Aha...another gif stealer....watch out, Bill.
Pat

Scarefishcrow
02-19-2009, 02:53 PM
As long as we keep the stealing within the family it's ok!

Great job Charlie. Love you bold color and impressionistic feel (at least to my eye). Yeah, messy medium. Not like the really clean softies (:rolleyes: banned immediately by my DW; how do you think I ended up using OP) and the immaculate, neat, pristine oils (no goo there, eh??:lol: ).

Gee, Charlie, do you detect a note of sarcasm there???? Hmmm....gotta work on my subtle sarcasm skills a bit!:eek:

Nice Job. You won't even have to make yours nearly as small as I did mine to get it to look good!:lol:

Colorix
02-19-2009, 05:18 PM
Pat, thank you! Fast? Five days is considered fast? OK, probably of total of 6 OP hours, not counting underpainting. Had it been softies, I'd done it in 2-3 hours... and I'm slow.

Bill, thank you for the impressionistic word, it is what I strive for, albeit with a greater sense of form, not so ethereal as Monet. And, ahem! I didn't use the word "messy", not in the posting of the final I didn't! I just said "goo". So there. Support is saturated. Actually, when I painted in oils, everyone in a workshop was so surprised that I didn't have a speck of paint on my person. Not so with softies, I have it all over everything. But as I have my priorities straight and paint instead of cleaning the house, it isn't noticed. :-D

Charlie

Pat Isaac
02-19-2009, 05:34 PM
Yeah, fast. Takes me a lot longer to do an OP painting, but I am slow....:rolleyes:

Pat

Scarefishcrow
02-19-2009, 05:35 PM

Bill, thank you for the impressionistic word, it is what I strive for, albeit with a greater sense of form, not so ethereal as Monet. And, ahem! I didn't use the word "messy", not in the posting of the final I didn't! I just said "goo". So there. Support is saturated. Actually, when I painted in oils, everyone in a workshop was so surprised that I didn't have a speck of paint on my person. Not so with softies, I have it all over everything. But as I have my priorities straight and paint instead of cleaning the house, it isn't noticed. :-D

Charlie

Actually, while I love Monet, I much prefer his earlier work than his later work and those that border on abstract representational, which is what I think you are saying you like as well. However, I suppose that in some of Monet's later work his long life and failing eyesight, IMHO, contributed to the tendency toward highly abstracted form.

I also admire Renoir very much for his refusal to be boxed in and defined as a strict impressionist or realist. I love his quote that "One morning we were painting and ran out of black and impressionism was born.". It is also inspiring to see a man with hands so deformed by rheumatoid arthritis that the brushes had to be tied to his hands so he could paint and still his pictures were bright and optimistic.

And of course, Van Gogh. What else needs be said!

I admire anyone that can paint in oils and not be covered in it. :lol:

Pat, I have a sneaking suspicion we've "set the hook" on this one and have only to reel her in!! What do you think???

Pat Isaac
02-19-2009, 05:37 PM
I think so too......:evil: :lol:

pat

Scarefishcrow
02-19-2009, 05:51 PM
I think so too......:evil: :lol:

pat

Between you and me, Pat, I really think it's our great charisma and magnetic personalities along with the sophisticated wit we provide that clenched it!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

(P.S., I'll try to hold back on the really corny puns till we're sure she's securely in the boat!):angel: :angel:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2009/117343-ROFLOL_big.gif Hmmm. Now where did THAT come from???:eek:

Bill

Pat Isaac
02-19-2009, 05:53 PM
There it is...I saw it...another stealer....:evil: :rolleyes: watch out. Of course it is our wit and charisma....

Pat

Colorix
02-19-2009, 05:58 PM
Blame Robert, that wordsmith nagged me into it! :-D

Yes, I so need to learn a new medium, with an upcoming show, one impossible thing to paint for a juried one, continuing to teach in softie forum, taking portrait class, being Guide in New Users, and trying to earn some money too...

(glnkx!) That was the sound of bait, hook, sink, and rod swallowed. I do love the near-oil luminosity of the OPs, so not giving up, just giving in, but will be scarce before mid April, when I hopefully will have plenty of $ and to get seriously invested in OPs with serious investments. Hi, my name is Charlie and I'm addicted to art supplies. (Hello Charlie!)

Pat Isaac
02-19-2009, 06:20 PM
I tried a new medium a few years ago and I am totally hooked. If you ever worked in oils these will grab you.

Pat

sundiver
02-19-2009, 06:27 PM
Oooo, sizzlin', Charlie- I like it!

Colorix
02-19-2009, 06:52 PM
Wendy, thank you! No likeness to what you painted... and, although I tend to paint in some drama (read: tend to overcolour), this time I can blame a box with mostly saturated colours and only 3 tints or so...

Thanks a lot, and I've always admired your paintings!

Charlie

Scarefishcrow
02-19-2009, 11:57 PM

Yes, I so need to learn a new medium, with an upcoming show, one impossible thing to paint for a juried one, continuing to teach in softie forum, taking portrait class, being Guide in New Users, and trying to earn some money too...

(glnkx!) That was the sound of bait, hook, sink, and rod swallowed. I do love the near-oil luminosity of the OPs, so not giving up, just giving in, but will be scarce before mid April, when I hopefully will have plenty of $ and to get seriously invested in OPs with serious investments. Hi, my name is Charlie and I'm addicted to art supplies. (Hello Charlie!)

Seriously, Charlie, it is great that you are enjoying the forum you are great fun to interact with. Look forward to seeing you around!!

robertsloan2
02-20-2009, 03:01 AM
I don't see no gif either... call the cops, she stole the gif I'd honestly stolen! (I hoard them too... :o )

Ta-dah! Finished, it'd better be, or I'll have to scrape goo from sticks and press it on the painting with a knife.

It is not exactly subdued..... :cool:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2009/117343-OP-Rhodo-finish-mmmf6.jpg

This is exactly (nearly) how it looks indoors at night (and before anyone has fun -- indoor lights, bulbs). Very fg is peachier, though.

C&C most welcome, especially on technique, but of course on painting too!

Charlie

Oh wow. Oh WOW... Charlie, this jumps off the screen and delights my eyes. You really took to this medium so fast! Yes, it's finished. Yes, it's the color fairyland of a Charlie painting. WOW.

You hit finite perfection on this. Yes it's done. No possible improvements. Now I need to do something decent with mine.

And thanks for your other quote about my talking you into this. You just made me very happy that I did!

robertsloan2
02-20-2009, 03:10 AM

Of course you do. I'm happy you did. The sight of that painting just lifted my heart. Besides, maybe this is a break from the pressure of all those important softies things going on.

I still need to catch up in your class too as well as do this project and keep writing on my site and catch up on some art I owe some people in softies, so I'm sort of in that boat too. I think I'm down to about a half dozen late things now but getting some headway on catching up. By the time I do I should be lots better anyway.

Mid April's not that far off. I'll be watching both forums!

Colorix
02-20-2009, 06:26 AM
Rob, thanks! Truly, it was your great enthusiasm for OP that got me interested, and the generous help you gave me in selecting a starter box.

And as I'm into a medium that is non-orthodox anyway (softies are not 'serious' in Sweden), why not throw in another "impossible" medium? I kind of like being a pioneer.

I'll not vanish from this forum, I may throw in a stone or two, as they are relaxing to paint. But I do have to get really serious about my show, time flies.

Charlie

robertsloan2
02-20-2009, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the thought of putting in another stone or two. They are so much fun and a good choice when there isn't much time or energy between doing other things.

It seems odd that softies aren't considered serious in Sweden. I grew up thinking of soft pastels as one of those mediums like oils that go way back in the history section of the art museums and have much tradition around them. One of many reasons I love your colorful landscapes. I'm glad you're pioneering both. OP is such a rewarding medium, it's got so many possibilities nothing else can do.

Scarefishcrow
02-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the thought of putting in another stone or two. They are so much fun and a good choice when there isn't much time or energy between doing other things.

It seems odd that softies aren't considered serious in Sweden. I grew up thinking of soft pastels as one of those mediums like oils that go way back in the history section of the art museums and have much tradition around them. One of many reasons I love your colorful landscapes. I'm glad you're pioneering both. OP is such a rewarding medium, it's got so many possibilities nothing else can do.

Actually, Robert, the pastel medium does go far back in history, however, like most media their dispersal routes and acceptance was not uniform and universal. It is interesting to note that many people think of the term "pastel" as referring to light colors and tints, but the medium name actually derives from an Italian word pastello, meaning "little bread roll".

They were introduced from Italy to western Europe primarily by the work of Rosalba Carriera, an Italian woman artist that became in very high demand in Europe for here excellent Pastel portraits in the early 1700's. They date as far back as the 1400's and Da Vinci. Their increase in popularity in modern times probably relates much to the development of fixatives as that was a great source of problems to earlier pastel artists.

Much the same observation might be made for watercolor as it was not particularly a respected medium until the flowing of British watercolorists such as Turner, Constable and Cotman that have become iconic for the watercolors.

Interestingly, watercolor suffered from the same image problem that OP's do, that of being associated with being a "child's" art medium and not being taken seriously. So perhaps we can take heart from the fact that watercolor has become probably as popular if not more so than the "Matriarch" of all media, oil paints!

Here's a Wik link on Pastel history you might find interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastels

Take special notice of the specific brand that is pictured as an example of "commercial pastels". Tell me what you think about that!:smug:

Bill:wave:

Peiwend
02-23-2009, 10:48 PM
Bill, perhaps another reason that works requiring glazing are more popular now is the easy and inexpensive availability of large sheets of clear glass and acrylic. At one time, glass was made by hand in small sheets with distortions and was extremely expensive.

Does this make sense?

_____________________________Wendell

Scarefishcrow
02-24-2009, 12:20 AM
Bill, perhaps another reason that works requiring glazing are more popular now is the easy and inexpensive availability of large sheets of clear glass and acrylic. At one time, glass was made by hand in small sheets with distortions and was extremely expensive.

Does this make sense?

_____________________________Wendell

As usual, Wendell, you always make sense. I don't know enough about art history to know how early pastelists and watercolorists began framing their works under glass. In the early days, particularly watercolors might not have been displayed under glass and certainly there is some evidece fading was not always a concern even to artists. I ran across an anecdote that suggested Winsor the colorist was chiding J.M.W. Turner for using colors that tended to be fugitive and he retorted "Your job is to make the paints, my job it to use them!"

Thanks for your insight.

Bill

BTW, just got a book today on Clarence Gagnon. Whatever he was, he certainly was no fan of "modern art" decrying the likes of Van Gogh, Gaugin, Matisse and Picasso as "decadent".

Bill

An Old Lad
02-24-2009, 01:29 AM
Ok that's it I'm sitting in on this class. It's late and I do my best work when it is late. I'm going to use 9 x 6 inch CP watercolor paper [basically half a sheet]. I will maintain a landscape picture but it will differ from the original homework one and the one's posted. Tonight I will just do the watercolor under-painting. The brands used will be PRANG semi-moist circles and the other brand REEVE'S (which are tubes).

The Pastels will most likely bee my Cray-Pas Expressionists--

To Work I go.....

Pat Isaac
02-24-2009, 07:49 AM
Makes sense about the use of glass on watercolors and pastels. Pastels are just starting to find their place around here...oils is the biggie.
Welcome aboard. All this may inspire me to finish mine..

Pat

An Old Lad
02-24-2009, 12:42 PM
Ok--I used only the Prang watercolors for the underpainting-- Yellow-Yellow Orange,Red, Red Orange, Blue Violet, Red Violet, and Turquoise Blue for the Sky.

The entire under-painting was then painted over with the OP's however you can still see parts of the under-painting.

"Path in the Sierras" :cool:

Scarefishcrow
02-24-2009, 01:12 PM
Interesting abstraction of the landscape reference. Do you plan more work or is this the final. I wasn't sure from your previous post whether you intended more work.

Bill

An Old Lad
02-24-2009, 02:55 PM
For the time being I'm going to leave it. Due to the hardness of the oil pastels that I have, there is little more I think I could accomplish with this piece as a whole.

I sort of like the piece and if I had used just Watercolors I'd try to add more detail to the rocks and to the path. As an OP I am slightly forced to be content with it as is because I do not know where or how to improve the piece given my skill set. My primary concern being to avoid the over-working of the piece.

I should have posted the under-painting......

Ideas on possible ways to improve the piece are welcome and appreciated!

Greg

robertsloan2
02-25-2009, 03:09 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2009/70184-BackgroundGardenPath.jpg

I got back to the Garden Path landscape today and started with the background in Neopastels. I may wind up adding more layers in Holbein or Sennelier eventually but I like the textures that I got with the Neopastels in the upper third. I might finish the whole thing just with Neopastels -- it doesn't need as heavy a treatment as some that I've done though it's gotten it in a few places where I wound up blending colors by five or six loose applications.

It's going to be bright and I want it that way. So far I haven't used any black, just went down to Prussian Blue in the darks. I might stick with that since it's so cool with the Prussian Blue and with Naples Yellow in the lightest lights. 48 color Neopastels set, 6" x 8" on watercolor paper with watercolor underpainting and clear Colourfix primer over the underpainting.

Pat Isaac
02-25-2009, 03:15 PM
This is really shaping up nicely, Robert.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
02-25-2009, 04:19 PM
To use Pat's phrase, pulling up a chair to watch.

Bill

robertsloan2
03-24-2009, 02:15 PM
Sorry I delayed so much that y'all not only pulled up a chair but may as well have pitched tents and moved in. I'll work on it today -- my spring cleaning has turned it up again on top of the stack of stuff instead of buried under several other sheets of works in progress and I remembered I hadn't finished it.

My sense of time is no more accurate than my cat's.

Now I'm glad I mentioned what pastels I was using in my post, because otherwise I'd be scratching my head, looking at the stack of artist grade ones and wondering which set I used. I have a memory like a steel trap. It mangles everything that gets into it.

Scarefishcrow
03-24-2009, 06:51 PM
Actually I took my chair over to Pat's waterlillies thread but maybe I should move it back over here!

Note: seems my handwiting software is making up some strange words!

BILL:lol: :lol:

Pat Isaac
03-24-2009, 07:14 PM
It might be better to put it here, Bill...I'm slooow...:rolleyes:

Pat

robertsloan2
03-25-2009, 11:49 PM
I've been slooooow too. Didn't feel up to it the day I posted or today, but now have it out where it's all easy to get at as soon as I feel up to doing it. I love the way it's turning out, just had some bad days.

Scarefishcrow
03-26-2009, 12:20 AM
MOVED my chair over here along with the microwave and popcorn!!

BlLL:lol:

robertsloan2
03-28-2009, 05:54 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Mar-2009/70184-GardenPathStagePath.jpg

Progress on my landscape! Rocks, path and the patch of vegetation in front of the right side tree are more or less done. Neopastels on Colourfix primed watercolor paper.

I'm a bit frustrated with the scan colors, though I tweaked in several directions it's hard to get them all right at the same time. I may have to use my camera for the final version. The value difference between the shadows on the path and the path is a bit stronger than it looks in this version.

The texture on the path was deliberately scumbled in several layers to give a fine grained pink dirt feeling rather than blended smooth.

This is the scan without any tweaking to color or contrast, it looks muted but has some clearer sense of the values.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Mar-2009/70184-GardenPathNoTweaks.jpg

Pat Isaac
03-28-2009, 05:58 PM
That is really looking very good, Robert.

Pat

robertsloan2
03-28-2009, 09:48 PM
Thanks! I'm so close on it. I might work on it again tomorrow and try to get it finished, matted, up on my wall where it belongs. It looks even better in life. I may have to use my camera to get a true color view of it.