PDA

View Full Version : untitled mixed media

jolie
08-12-2002, 10:00 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-12-2002/7623_red,_yellow,_green_collage,_small_for_wc.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-12-2002/7623_yellow_and_blue-green_collage-small_for_wc.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-12-2002/7623_indian_red,_blue,_yellow_collage,_small_for_wc.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: untitled mixed media
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Mixed-Media
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12x12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
this is a mixed media collage i just finished on gallery wrapped canvas. it's many layers of acrylic, gesso, and ink then finally a few bits of collage added at the end. (this is also posted in the mixed media forum)it's one of a few pieces i plan on taking with me to meet with the manager of a local gallery next week. i've been doing abstracts for a while, but have recently gotten back into collages. all of them are highly textural pieces. i'm adding a few other bits of work, of a few different sizes here as well.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
does this appear to be a cohesive body of work? when presenting to the gallery do i need to stick with just the collage or just the abstract, or because it's all textural and has a similar feel can i bring a few of each? ( i haven't posted any of the abstract in this particular thread, but the techniques used are similar. you probably would still associate the work with me).

jolie
08-12-2002, 10:01 PM
hmm....the 3rd picture doesn't seem to be working, so i'll add it again

futurebird
08-13-2002, 12:52 AM
I don't like the image of the women in the first one. Since it is the most deatailed bit it makes the rest of the work look like it's a funky frame. Maybe turn the women on their side or replace them ... or destress them. It's odd having them there.

The other are great, the blue one suits me best, I like the two gold lines, this is a set of work about music maybe? The lines are like harp strings.

jnet11
08-13-2002, 11:31 AM
these have a "thrown together" look about them to me, the collages aren't really worked into the painting as much as they seem to be placed on after ... either more collage or none would work best for my aesthetic. The first one with the well known painting( Waterhouse I believe) really detracts from your own work. Waterhouse being such a mad genius, he's a hard act to follow ... so I agree with future that the other two work better.

wish we could see some closeups of your paint!

jolie
08-13-2002, 05:44 PM
thank you both for taking the time to reply. while i have to confess to feeling a bit crushed at first (i always struggle with critique, but know it's necessary to improve), it made me take another look at my work with new eyes and re-evaluate how i feel about it. i started with collage, focused on abstract for a while, then all of a sudden felt like doing collage again...but this time a simplified version of it. i've been working more and more with multiple layers of color and texture and didn't want to do busy collages.

futurebird...i've studied the first picture over and over today and feel you're right, that the picture of the women feels like it has a funky frame around it. just as i was nearly convinced to get rid of it i looked at the actual piece and realized that it doesn't take center stage in it as it does in the photograph. because it's so hard to capture the depth of all the color and texture on camera, the only thing that shows with any detail is the women picture. the real thing looks more like a grouping of interesting textures, colors, and images (to me anyway lol) in looking at the actual piece, it still feels right to me, so i'm going to go with my instinct and live with it for a while.

jnet11...i have done collage in the past that has bits buried in between the layers, but deliberately chose not to work these into the layers, as i wanted very defined edges and shapes. you are correct that the image on the first one is a waterhouse painting...i wish i had even a fraction of the skills he did! instead i chose and image to enhance my work. initially, i expected to be using simple text and torn shapes, as on the other 2, but after taking several digital photos of various options and comparing them i just felt more strongly about the way i did it. i do appreciate and respect your opinion, but i'm thinking in this particular case it's just a difference in the types of collage styles we enjoy...i guess next week i'll find out for sure. lol

anyway...as you asked, i'm including a close-up of some of my paint. i hope it gives you a better idea of my work. thanks again for your comments and suggestions. i'll certainly give them thought before completely my next piece.

jolie

jolie
08-13-2002, 05:45 PM
and here's another one...

futurebird
08-13-2002, 05:48 PM
I think I can see how the texture of the paint gives it enough deatail to "compete" with the image of the women. Trust your gut and go with it! Don't mind me I'm just some fool in the internet!

LOL!

-S