PDA

View Full Version : Stairs of Belaggio. WIP.

YLCIA
08-12-2002, 09:34 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-12-2002/2940_Picture_0246.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Stairs of Belaggio. WIP.
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18 by 24 inches
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
I did not not work much on it yet: was not up to it, but still I hope I did some progress.
The colors on the bldgs came out on the this pick kinda funky ...have to check in photo shop.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Do you think I am going in the right direction?
:)

Julia

drquinn
08-13-2002, 07:37 AM
I can't tell you if your heading in the right direction, did you want to be going down the stairs or up,? because it appears that you are heading down

There is a lot of odd angles in the stairs and even in the houses. Never having been on the street or having seen it, it is hard to look at. It is a beutiful scene but I think I would like to see some more perpendicular lines in the finished product.

I've attached an image to show you what I mean.

futurebird
08-13-2002, 10:33 AM
<i>I would like to see some more perpendicular lines in the finished product.
</i>

Hmm I felt that the lack of perpendicular lines was one of the <b>best</b> things about it, gives it and old village feel, like the shambles in the UK. I think this version is much better than The last I saw, The ground feels more like steps. One thing that hurts you is the time of day, no shadows so it's hard to see the depth on the steps.

I like the figure, but rather than walking down what about standing there looking out at the view, maybe leaning a bit since it is so hot.

I don't think the foot in motion is working, can't say why ... hmmm maybe the foot is too pointed, I don't think you'd see so much of the bottom of the shoe.

But all and all a great improvement. The figure really "grounds" the painting! I love it!

:clap:

Christine Mallaband
08-13-2002, 11:03 AM
One of the charms of this painting is the angles, it not only affects the style but also the atmosphere, it makes it more unusual. I do think the figure in the foreground looks kind of odd-see drawing to see what I mean, your figure seems to be almost falling down the stairs, the viewpoint would be above and slightly behind the head (does this make sense?) also you could add some mystery by changing the lighting on the figure, work out where exactly your light is coming from and try and work out where the shadows would fall. Are the steps very wide (from front to back?) you may need to increase the size of the figure slightly to take this into account. And if you want to make it really mysterious how about trying to add the figure as an old peasant lady, or a monk perhaps? It would add to the atmosphere.... Hope this all makes sense. Keep the odd angles though if you do nothing else!
lol Christine:clap:

YLCIA
08-13-2002, 11:38 AM
Drquinn, thank you for viewing and comments :the houses are under the angles.This is a very old Village Belaggio on Lake Como in Italy. A lot of houses attached to the mountains . The stairs are not straight horizontal lines either. The figure will go down not up: I want the viewer eye to go down the street...:)

Futurebird, thank You for viewing.The previous post was just a sketch. This time I start working:) there is a lot of things yet which I am going to do ...I did not work on the shadows yet at all. It was not hot day, it was slightly drizzling actually that is why the figure is in the wind breaker(if it is possible to see in this unfinished version:p )You are very correct the foot is too pointed , I will work on it to look more natural, thank you!:)

Christine, thank you for taking time for viewing and comments:)
I definetely will work on the light source , but a little later in progress. I am going to keep all those angles:p. I thought about adding the shoulder bag to the women's right side though. There going to be some abstracted figures down the street also. The shadows most likely will be on the viewers left side.The windows in the bldgs will be worked more on and there will be more greenery too.
Thank you , all again.

Julia

artbabe21
08-13-2002, 03:27 PM
Julia,
This is coming along nicely. My one comment is the man looks too small for the very large stairs. Now perhaps it is this way, but this is what struck me when I first saw this with the figure.

Love the crooked buildings, quite charming.

Cathleen~

YLCIA
08-13-2002, 03:49 PM
Cathleen ,thank you ! I always appreciate your comments.You maybe right but on some of the stairs it took me 2 to 3 steps before another one. Maybe it is just my inability to paint it correct. Also , I cannot see a larger person there so I am afraid to attempt to change if I cannot invision it: call me chicken:)

Julia