PDA

View Full Version : Morgan Filly Oil Pastel, WIP

aolaranora
02-12-2009, 09:08 PM
Hello, everybody. Presenting my new work of our Morgan filly done in oil pastels. It is not finished, and medium is new for me, so any suggestions or advice will be appreciated. Thank You!

Tatiana

jody007
02-13-2009, 09:52 AM
Awww he is so cute! I love it. I can't wait to see it finished!
Jody

Finepetportraits
02-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Looks really nice so far but I'd definitely suggest you add more definition to the eyes, i.e. pupils and highlights. To me, the eyes are always the most important feature - it is where the horse's personality lies. :wave:

QueenBArt
02-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Hi Tatiana! Great start! I know nothing about this medium asides from that fact that we don't get along! I admire people who can work with them though :)

I think this is looking good, but I find that the green as it is now is a bit overwhelming. But your filly looks really nice, and I like where you are going with this. I am eager to see an update! Great work!

jeniart
02-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Cute foal - I agree with Sandra about hilites in the eyes - they make all the difference and the 'topnot' needs more texture too. Looking forward to your update. Nice work. Also what size?
I enjoyed looking at your Morgans on your website - looks like classic lines? I would be interested to know the bloodlines.

aolaranora
02-13-2009, 06:23 PM
I'm totally agree about her eyes... Very important part, if not MOST important... I didn't even start on it yet, except for the first layer. Background IS too green and I'm going to layer it too and see what I like the best. ( I already overpainted in twice, no luck so far...Hope I will figure it out.) I'm working with few different paintings at the same time, including this one, but this one is my first every try to do somewhat big horse portrait in OPs. I did few dog portraits and they are coming out nice. I also did two horse ACEO size miniatures in OPs, hard to work with, but for that size and medium, I think they too came out all right.
As for breeding of our Morgans, my mare is Foundation Morgan names Harmons Lick Black Betty. here is a link on her pedigree:
http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/harmons+lick+black+betty
The filly I'm working on is her daughter by Statesman Sky Hawk
http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/statesmans+sky+hawk.
Both mares stays at Cove Creek Morgans.
Yes, I'll put updates on this painting as soon I'll have it done. Thank you to everybody!

FaeLynn
02-14-2009, 01:00 AM
Wow, I like the detail you have in that little worl of hair in her forehead, very nice. That's good work especially for oil pastel.

aolaranora
02-14-2009, 03:43 PM
Thank You, Fae! I like to pay attention to details, always did. For right now it is more sketch that anything else, but I hope to finish it nicely sometime this/next month. When I trued OPs first time, I was under impression that are totally impossibly to work with, but also became very curious about what others can do with it and found some very amazing works, including equine portraits. Maine difference is - most of those portraits are done mostly in Holbein OP, I only have a limited set of some Sennelier, very soft ones, so it needs somewhat different approach. It is very new media for me too, I'm only working with it month or so, but surprisingly love it. Thank again for your your comment!

aolaranora
03-05-2009, 12:22 AM
Here is my next update to this painting. I used some Neopastel over my Senneilers, because so far I have very limited quantity of colors. I like it better, but still need to finish it.:)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2009/177144-foal2.jpg

FaeLynn
03-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Hi again Tatiana,
I am just checking in on this one cause it's so cute. I am tempted to suggest you use a little purple in the shadows to make this pop. I really want to see this finished because it's adorable. I also want to try OP again.
Keep up the good work!

aolaranora
08-28-2009, 11:50 PM
Thank You, FaeLynn!

I hope I can finish it someday. For right now I'm stuck with few miniatures what need to be finished ASAP, so everything also is currently on hold. However, I hope to be back to this painting.

bjcpaints
09-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Aww, what a cutie! Go with your heart and finish it up!:heart:

aolaranora
11-21-2010, 11:36 PM
Thank You, Barbara! She IS! (the only bad part - she is till not finished!)

skappy
11-22-2010, 01:41 AM
Looking good so far Tatiana I ll check later
Robert

PCF Artist
11-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Super cute and great job! I love the swirl of hair on her forehead...very realistic. The lighting is very eye-catching too! :)

cynaga
11-22-2010, 01:46 PM
So cute!

aolaranora
11-22-2010, 03:08 PM
Thank You, guys!
It is just one of unfinished works I have around. Perhaps I need to take my time and finish it after all. I honestly didn't remember what was an original reason it got put away... I think I wasn't happy with background or something.