PDA

View Full Version : Harsh times is comming.

Tanto
02-11-2009, 04:12 PM
Hello Everybody
I got the inspiration for this painting in the beginning of this autumn, and I perhaps I have to consider it ready even if Iím not satisfied with it.
I have made lotís of mistakes here and hopefully I will learn from them.
First lesson to learn was: trust your instincts when something feels wrong. I could not put my finger on it in the beginning, but halfway into this painting I realised that I had placed the upper bird to high compared to the leaf and the second bird. The perspective was wrong. I tried to solve it by placing the bird on a stone. I think the perspective is correct now, but how about the composition? Is it working? Iím not sure.
I also learned that Iím still a slave under the ref. photos even if I really tried to avoid that. When the leaf was ready I realised that I had copied it from the ref. photo, form light, everything. The form is ok, but I think that the light and shadows could have been more interesting. I would appreciate your opinions regarding this.
C & C is most welcome.
Thanks for looking/
Tomas
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2009/107478-Autumn.jpg

PatrickHedges
02-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Your idea of adding the stone definitely worked. I'm not too sure about the rest of the composition but in reality, it's such a delightful image that I think it works well. Possibly the leaf could have been closer to us giving an unequal triangle which would add some dynamics, rather than the isosceles triangle you have but it's only nitpicking. It's excellent.

jody007
02-11-2009, 07:45 PM
Beautiful painting! I love the colors in your painting!
Jody

IanArt
02-11-2009, 10:41 PM
Very nice work. I find that it needs more contrast. The darks need to be darker and the lights lighter (in the highlight / shadow areas). I find also that it is a little flat. The background needs to be a little cooler to push it back. Very cool idea though and a great theme.

Ian

skappy
02-11-2009, 11:06 PM
hi your painting is cute i like blue tits i think like Ian for th shadows buti think the color of the stones is to uniformand interfere with the bird
that was a good idea to put the bird on the stone
Robert

chammi kaiser
02-12-2009, 04:30 AM
Good advice from Ian . A charming painting.

Iaartist
02-12-2009, 08:01 AM
I agree with patrick the image of them is very good. Nice job.

Tanto
02-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Thanks everybody for your kind replies.

Patrick - Glad you liked the idea with the stone. I think your are right about the angle of the leaf. I was to focused copying it from the ref. photo so I forgot to think critically. As I said, still slave to the photo.

Ian - Thanks for your valuable advice. I agree with everything you are saying. However it's not really as bad as it looks. Comparing the photo with the painting today in bright daylight I realise that the photo was not the best. I have enclosed a new photo. Perhaps not any dramatic difference, but it shows the painting a little bit more accurately.

Robert - You probably right about the stones. Adding more texture with more shadows perhaps would make it more interesting.

/Tomas
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2009/107478-Autumn.jpg