PDA

View Full Version : OP Society Member show

Barbara WC
02-10-2009, 02:31 PM
I was just at the OP Society's website enjoying the wonderful images of the member shows from previous years.

I couldn't find any information as to whether the member show is a juried show or not. Does anyone know? The work all looked like high quality. It's so inspiring to see the work that people are doing in OP's.

Thanks.
Barbara

Pat Isaac
02-10-2009, 04:58 PM
It is a members show, so if you are a member of the OPS you may enter 2 pieces. All work entered will be in the show. It is juried for prizes only. More information of the 2009 show will be forthcoming later this spring.
I am going to move this thread to the OPS forum where you will get more responses.
It is a great show and it is so nice to see all the different styles and wonderful work.

Pat

robertsloan2
02-10-2009, 11:35 PM
Pat, what is the difference between a show that is "juried" and a show that is "juried for prizes only"? I'm curious what that means. Don't all the entries get looked at by the jury?

Pat Isaac
02-11-2009, 07:54 AM
Our show is juried for prizes not for entry as all the entries are shown and the judges see all the entries. From all the entries they determine which they will award prizes. There are also shows that are juried for entry, therefore not all the entries get into the show. From the accepted entries prizes are usually awarded.
Ours is a members show so all entries are accepted.
Is this clear?

Pat

robertsloan2
02-12-2009, 08:44 AM
Oh! Thanks. Yes, I can see how a show that all entries are juried would look different on your resume. Just getting into it is a type of award. Makes sense now. Thank you for explaining that.

I'm looking forward to it so much.

Pat Isaac
02-12-2009, 08:52 AM
That definitely is a plus. However, if you don't get in you can't take it personally. It doesn't mean that your work is not good. This whole juried show process is very subjective and often only so many pieces are allowed because of space limitations. I could fill a room with my rejections.:lol:

Pat

robertsloan2
02-17-2009, 03:09 PM
Thanks for making that clear too, Pat. It's something to remember about shows. I'm not too worried about not winning or not getting in on stuff like that because I've had so many rejection slips on stories that sold to know that's got to be the case. Like I thought, getting in is a level of win something below honorable mention.

Barbara WC
02-28-2009, 05:46 PM
About what month is the call for entries for the member show?

Now that I'm an OPS member, I want to work towards entering something. Curious as to how much time I have to create something!

I have to be honest that this is one reason I joined OPS. I also belong to the American Tapestry Alliance which has an open show for members, and I enjoy the show, not only entering, but seeing what other members enter. The show has a very different feeling than the juried show that ATA also sponsers.

For me, it's not about putting the entries into a show on a resume, it's having a deadline and trying to complete something more significant than I normally would. One reason I also try to enter works into the county fair.

Barbara

Pat Isaac
02-28-2009, 05:52 PM
We haven't set the date yet, but you certainly have 3 months. Last year the entries were due by July 1, but that is always flexible, but not by much. So you have a good few months.

Pat

Barbara WC
02-28-2009, 06:00 PM
Thanks Pat! I *think* 3 months is enough time. Of course, I'm still learning the medium :eek:

Barbara

Pat Isaac
02-28-2009, 06:02 PM
Not to worry, you are doing great!!!

pat

Scarefishcrow
03-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Thanks Pat! I *think* 3 months is enough time. Of course, I'm still learning the medium :eek:

Barbara

I agree wth Pat, you are doing great work. If I understand correctly they are going to have separate categories this year for Associate vs. Professional/Signature members so competition will be among those of comparable skill levels and hopefully more Associate members will participate.

Bill:clap:

Herb
03-04-2009, 09:25 PM
I'm looking forward to the next Oil Spiel with details about the show. I've been waiting not-so-patiently for my muse (presuming I have one :rolleyes: ) to help me choose a subject.

Anyone have any pointers or cautions for those of us that have never entered any show before?

I think I'm more concerned at the moment about properly photographing or scanning the work for submission than I am about doing the art. :lol:

Scarefishcrow
03-05-2009, 04:14 AM
I'm looking forward to the next Oil Spiel with details about the show. I've been waiting not-so-patiently for my muse (presuming I have one :rolleyes: ) to help me choose a subject.

Anyone have any pointers or cautions for those of us that have never entered any show before?

I think I'm more concerned at the moment about properly photographing or scanning the work for submission than I am about doing the art. :lol:

I think Pat will be best able to provide that kind of info, Herb, as she has entered often.

Bill

Pat Isaac
03-05-2009, 10:01 AM
Yes, I have entered since they began. I always feel that when entering a show you should put in what you consider your best work. Some artists try to guess what the judge might like, but that is a mistake. This year there are going to be 2 categories. One for the associate members and one for pros and signature. Take a look at the work in the different shows, Herb and that might be helpful.
Let me know if you have more questions.

Pat

robertsloan2
03-08-2009, 10:36 PM
This is going to rock. I'm excited about the show. I'm an Associate and have been trying to build up to doing five really good ones to show the jury and get my dues raised. Would there be a problem with using my two entries for the show as part of the five examples for the jury to prove I know what I'm doing? Or is that the sort of thing that's reasonably expected?

Thanks for letting me know more or less how long I have before I need to have something really good finished. Plenty of time to do preliminaries and start building up sketches and studies and notans, even for doing two that are serious like that.

Pat Isaac
03-09-2009, 08:21 AM
The pieces for the show cannot be the same ones as your gallery pieces. They must be different ones. You will have a few months warning regarding the show. Off hand I want to say the deadline for entries may be July 1 (it was last year) but that is not cast in stone. The site will have all the info soon.

Pat

sundiver
04-13-2009, 09:53 PM
Is there any information up yet? I (as usual) was late getting my membership dues in and if there was a March/April newsletter I missed it.

robertsloan2
07-09-2009, 03:19 PM
The show deadline is July 15th and I'm probably not the only one looking over everything I've done that's good and disqualifying it for one reason or another. I'm way too addicted to the RIL and various challenges and workshops and things. Oops!

But I have learned so much this year that I feel like this is Exams for this unofficial high-powered wonderful course of being at WetCanvas.

I had a project going that I know is completely original and have a thread up for it in the Studio forum. Something about trying to do it in time for the show was really eating me.

Then I realized what it was -- the size and scope of that project is not something I want to rush in only a week. Then try to photograph the Arkansas Landscape Project so perfectly that it has true color and true dimensions even reduced to 700 pixels on the long side -- just getting a good photo that way could take a week.

So after nerves all day for it, I decided not to use the Arkansas Landscape Project for the show and try to finish it this week. Wow that feels better. That one needs to be 12" x 16" with an underpainting and there's no way that I can cover that much Colourfix within a week without horribly rushing it -- and not getting the level of skill and care I want to put into it.

So I'll do something else from life or one of my recent cool photos. I have plenty to choose from and got some more good ones of my cat this morning while he was on my lap. I've actually got more than one good idea right now, including one that'll be fairly easy to create so I might have two or three entries after all.

I'm going to relax now and work out what to paint. I can't really post about my painting without inviting critique, but I do have ideas and a place to start.

Posting about it is helping to clear my head and calm my nerves, a lot. If anyone else is getting stage fright I'll be happy to support and commiserate. There's still time to do an entry if you haven't done one yet! Six whole days. Some good paintings can be done in one day.

Herb
09-05-2009, 09:02 AM
Show opens on-line today? :clap:

Pat Isaac
09-05-2009, 09:05 AM
Yes, sometime today, you should get a message that it is up.

Pat

aolaranora
09-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Can not wait to see it! We with Ira both are jumping for joy! :clap:

Pat Isaac
09-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Hey, everyone, the show is up and congratulations to all the winners....:clap: :clap: :clap: It's a great show.

Pat

truck driver
09-21-2009, 06:15 AM
I am an absalute and dismal failure, both as an artist and a human being..

Just didnt have time to get anything done for the show..

RG