PDA

View Full Version : Amateur artist

animal
09-22-2000, 07:49 PM
As i am an amateur artist, i have a few question for the proffesionals here on wetcanvas. first off, I am wondering how much an amateur artist should sell their work for? I am wondering if amateur artists really need gallery representation when they are just emerging? Also what is selling fairly good right now( ex.wildlife art,landscapes,people,etc)

[This message has been edited by animal (edited September 22, 2000).]

arcitect
09-25-2000, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by animal:
As i am an amateur artist, i have a few question for the proffesionals here on wetcanvas. first off, I am wondering how much an amateur artist should sell their work for?

What do you think it is worth? Doubling or tripleing that that is usually to scale.

I am wondering if amateur artists really need gallery representation when they are just emerging?

If you can sell work, you can sell work. If you have an outlet outside of the art marketing culture that works for you, it works for you. Galleries are nice though, they take a lot of the pressure of being a salesperson off your back and they normally have a collection of moneyed art buyers to boot. They are also a nice gateway to the Corporate accounts.

Proceed with caution and do your homework ahead of time.

Also what is selling fairly good right now( ex.wildlife art,landscapes,people,etc)

Much of art is a regional matter but it is safe to say that very good art almost always finds a home sooner or later.