PDA

View Full Version : Oldies & Goodies- Feb 6-20

azulparsnip
02-06-2009, 09:35 PM
I will be posting one reference piece every two weeks to be copied (within two weeks) Posting links and a few comments about the artist.

You are welcome to dig up your own/alternate painting by the featured artist to copy, if you like. Please post a copy of it with your piece for us. Better yet post it as you are working on it!

The goal it not to produce a masterpiece in two weeks but to become familiar with some of our predicessors. Therefore even a quick sketch or value study of the piece would qualify for posting.

A schedule showing at minimum of the ensuing 4 featured artist will be maintained.

If participants have artist and a certain painting to suggest these will also be posted onto the schedule as soon the participants request is /approved. Remember variety is the spice of art. If you would like to host the thread for the artist you suggest that would be great.

I hope you can drop in from time to time .

Feature artist for Feb 6- 20 is Jean-Honore Fragonard - French 1732 - 1806

Here's a link about him -

http://www.abcgallery.com/F/fragonard/fragonard.html

and this is the piece I will be copying -

artbyjune
02-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Hi azulparsnip. Glad to see your project up and running. I know nothing about Fragonard so I will check out your link.

I think I will do a miniature of one of Fragonard's portraits: Mme Guimard.

Will we mention artists we'd like to do in the ongoing thread or back in the suggestions thread in the main forum.

I am interested in doing Holbein sometime.
:wave:

trafford
02-08-2009, 11:30 AM
OK, here's my sketch. Had much problems with all the drapery:angel:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Feb-2009/42757-fraganardwc.jpg

LGHumphrey
02-08-2009, 04:15 PM
Holy smokes, azul, you've sure chosen a complicated one to paint!! Good luck, I'm sure you'll come up with a great copy

artbyjune
02-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Well done Trafford. Those draperies look convincing. They must have been tricky.

artbyjune
02-09-2009, 07:04 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2009/106623-guimardwc1a5k.JPG

Here's my very quick watercolour study of Mme Guimard by Fragonard. its about 6 by 8 ins.

I thought Fragonard was not really my cup of tea, but I enjoyed doing this portrait since it was an oval design, which I haven't really done much of, and also because he seems to have used a fairly restricted palette. I rather liked the way his dark background emphasizes the delicate skin tones.

Mine's is not a very accurate copy. (I modernized her somewhat). I would need to do it in oils to get a better copy..I don't think I have time to do that though...

See you.:wave:

trafford
02-09-2009, 10:10 AM
June, all your watercolors have such a lovely soft touch. Very beautiful.

Thought I didn't like Fragonard that much until I came across this painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2009/42757-young_girl.gif

Really like this a lot. Will try to copy before the 20th. If not, will keep in reserve, for another day.

artbyjune
02-09-2009, 10:39 AM
I didn't realise Fragonard did this one. I like it a lot. A copy would indeed be good. Looking forward to seeing it if you get it done!:)

azulparsnip
02-11-2009, 01:10 PM
Trafford - Bravo on the Blindman's Bluff sketch. Yes all that drapery is tricky. Oh that girl reading is something I have seen elsewhere - it is so unlike the other scenes.........I'm looking forward to your hand on this one, if you get time.....

June- the quick watercolor of Mme Guimard is quite pleasant. The dusty feel to the background and davencushion make her seem more alive. great job on those lips!! I like the understated way you approached the lace too.
Well, I think to keep the list and suggestions in the main Classical forum best. However, you can mention your suggestions either place. I'll be opening new threads for each artist as the weeks pass. So, Holbein sounds like fun.

Lawrence - thanks for the encouragement, I bought some larger paper for these challenges, and am looking forward to getting something down tonight.

I read the biography - It was refreshing to hear how when his first employer complainted about all his drawing his Mother began seeking instruction in art.

azulparsnip
02-13-2009, 12:51 PM
Here are a couple of quick studies - 10 minute and 20 minute

Doing these I caught how she is actually peeking:D

artbyjune
02-13-2009, 01:17 PM
Looks good. Especially the second one..where I can see her peeking!

azulparsnip
02-18-2009, 01:00 PM
here's the first installment -

artbyjune
02-18-2009, 04:53 PM
This looks very good. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

Why did you choose this painting by Fragonard? Just curious.

azulparsnip
02-19-2009, 08:25 PM
Thanks June. I choose this painting because it has a valentine theme.

Here's my finished one. 11 X 15 - watercolor.
You can see I was NOT focusing on their faces much.....I even forgot to leave the white for the blindfold....duhhh....as I worked on this I saw what alot of work this piece would be to copy exactly..

Boy this two weeks passed fast.

Looking forward to a visit with Goya next.

artbyjune
02-20-2009, 09:48 AM
It turned out very well. The baby lying down in perspective must have been a challenge. You got it very nicely.

azulparsnip
02-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Thanks June:)