PDA

View Full Version : Question?

Chelle
08-11-2002, 11:09 PM
This is a 30 minute sketch. Is it acceptable to see the paper colour through the pastel like this?

JustjoGA
08-11-2002, 11:12 PM
Great portrait.... you just need to build up layers to cover the spots or blend with a kleenex or your finger.... but don't lose your skin tones.....

Chelle
08-11-2002, 11:48 PM
Boy, that was quick. Thanks for replying. I'm not going to worry about doing anymore to this one as it was just a practice excercise at making a quick blocking in type drawing. I spent most of the time on the eyes. However, I do like the spontaneous way the skin tones developed. In order to keep that (I'm sure I'd muck it up and lose it once I started trying to blend etc) I think I'd be better using a flesh toned paper. I'd prefer to blend the background which wouldn't be so important.

CarlyHardy
08-12-2002, 12:12 AM
Did you use the smooth side of the paper? Someone told me to do that with the Canson MiTientes. Makes it easier to cover.
carly

Chelle
08-12-2002, 03:30 AM
Yes, CH, I did use the smooth side. I had to "finish" her. I decided to spray the sketch version with fixative. I was spraying away, and it started looking "funny". I then realised that I'd picked up the wrong can and was spraying it with cream spray paint. I let the paint dray and drew over it, this time, rubbing the first layer of pastel into the paper and that way rubbing out the green. Then I went over it again to make it look "fresh" and then I drew in the details. again. What a drama, especially for a quick sketch. I've now been fiddling about with it all day! lol::rolleyes:

crumbedbrains
08-12-2002, 04:56 AM
30 minutes!!!

30 minutes!!

Geeez some of you people irritate me!!:evil: :D :D
How do you do that in 30 minutes?!? Dreamy eyes!

That does it, . . . I'm sprayin' all my paintings with cream paint . . . . LOL. . you're kiddin' aren't ya Chelle!!

By the way, is that a self portrait . . . if it is . . . . . will you marry me?;)

Waiting anxiously for your reply
Crumbedbrains ("Crumby" to you)

Mo.
08-12-2002, 08:58 PM
Chelle,

For a 30 minute skecth it's good, very good. Some questions, You used Cansons MiTientes paper? Smooth side
Mmmm, what pastels are you using ? Soft? Hard? Pencils?
Have you tried using a small soft paintbrush to work the pastels? I don't particularly like the grainy finish, for a portrait, skin tones are important.
Your first sketch to me is much better, it's fresher, and more spontaneous, the second one looks like you've applied a fixative and the work has become more grainy.

Returning to the initial sketch, if you had worked the pastel into the paper, to eliminate the green graininess there, then applied some shadows on the left side of the nose and under the nose, would have made a huge difference.

The eyes are stunning, really captures my attention, also the mouth on the first sketch is much better than the second one.
sheesh. I've just noticed what you've said about the wrong spray.... Ah well, we learn by our mistakes, and sometimes the mistakes work!

Love to see a one hour study!

Cheers, Mo.

Chelle
08-14-2002, 07:04 PM
Thanks Crumbedbrains and Mo.
Mo, yes, I too liked the first sketch better, because it is more spontaneous. I just don't know how to keep that spontaneous feel once I start blending out the paper grain etc.

Unfortunately, Crumby, no, it is not a self portrait. Does that mean the wedding's off? Ah well. But no, I'm not kidding about the cream spray. You can still see the cream "bloom" if you look at the top Left (our Right) corner. I also completely smudged out the left side of her face and had to re-draw it yet again, after all that.

The second picture does look more like the model in the book (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to show the reference, seeing as it's from a book)

Chelle
08-14-2002, 07:07 PM
P.S. By the way Mo. Only the first sketch is a 30 minute job. The bottom one took several hours, after all the fixing up and re-dos.