PDA

View Full Version : Blue & Gold Macaw

olika
08-11-2002, 05:30 PM
Hi all :) I thought I would add a couple of pictures to the glass art forum that I have designed. This picture is the second thing I had ever made in stained glass. I had done two lampshades (same kind) first but I wanted to create things in stained glass kind of like a painting style. The size of this is 24 1/2" x 34 1/2" without the frame. The photo does not do it justice as the sun wanted to make it too bright to see. I know now, as time and experience has taught me, that I would make a few design changes and I would also not have made the larger pieces into smaller ones since I can now cut fairly large pieces of glass successfully :) Hope you like it :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2002/Blue&GoldMacaw.jpg

ValorieCox
08-11-2002, 05:55 PM
Gerri, Both posting are wonderful! I love seeing the stained glass work, and especially like this one. Hope you don't mind I uploaded the photo, so all can see.

Val

mistymade
08-11-2002, 06:41 PM
Beautiful! I love parrots. You did a great job!
Misty:)

Rhona
08-11-2002, 07:36 PM
The panel is awesome, I am in the process of designing a parrot panel for a friend of mine , he is a fan club president for Jimmy Buffet. (The Parrot Head of all time)
Rhona:cat:

Beadbimbo
08-11-2002, 09:36 PM
Beautiful work Gerri!

from another Jerri

flamewerks
08-11-2002, 09:47 PM
Beautiful!!!

-M

craftylady
08-11-2002, 09:50 PM
good job:clap: :clap: :clap: I have no idea on how to do stained glass.. but I love the way it looks...:cat:

paulette
08-11-2002, 09:52 PM
Hmmmmmm. I wonder if I could do a "stained glass" floor by just using the mastik for tile and laying the glass down and grouting around it. You know, like doing mosaics. Anyone done this?

Paulette

olika
08-12-2002, 06:02 AM
Thank you, Valerie for getting it to be visible in this post. Usually they do show up but for whatever reason it didn't in this one. I much prefer the picture right there visible with the comments. Also thank you for your comments :D

olika
08-12-2002, 06:14 AM
Thank you, Misty and Flamewerks for your comments. My husbands dreams of having a hand-raised parrot someday :)

olika
08-12-2002, 06:20 AM
Thanks Rhona :)

Thanks Jerri :) I think Gerri (Jerri) happens to be a GREAT name. (You don't suppose I am biased, do you? :D )

olika
08-12-2002, 06:22 AM
Thankyou, craftylady... I find designing in stained glass is much easier that in painting or coloured pencil. The shapes can be so much more defined so I don't get as hung up on details :D

olika
08-12-2002, 06:27 AM
Hi paulette... I am thinking that Mastik is a sticky surface to attach the glass and hold it in place? I think that if you kept the glass pieces a reasonable size you might get away with it. They are making the garden stepping stones with stained glass and cement. But you definitely have to watch how big the pieces are of they would break from walking on them by flexing with the weight (only guessing here though) It would make a great floor and it is a good use for leftover pieces of glass. A lot of people use tile cutters and make mosaics from leftover glass :D

Modesto
08-12-2002, 09:06 AM
I've fanaticized about having such Art filling every window in my home...mornings would be filled with wonderful colors and, images that would stimulate my senses.

Mori
08-12-2002, 10:05 AM
Olika, that's impressive for being only your second piece.Very nice! :)

~Mori

WAW
08-12-2002, 11:08 AM
What a wonderful piece! Recently when I was at the bird store I saw a stained glass parrot and yours is much better, the details are perfect. Awesome!

laughing glass beads
08-12-2002, 11:09 AM
This is so wonderful, I so admire stained glass work! CC

b2beads
08-12-2002, 03:29 PM
Gerri - what an awesome piece! I have tons of respect for stained glass work! I took a class and made my first piece this past winter - man, if you think some lampwork beads can look wonky, this was the wonkiest stained glass piece I've ever seen. So, back to the torch I went (as I was just getting started on that, too, at the same time - I seemed a little more predisposed to working with big flames and molten glass for some reason...)

That is just a fabulous piece!

B2

olika
08-12-2002, 04:08 PM
Harold. you are so right!! I love painting with glass.... the colours become so alive when the sun comes through it! It takes on a life of its own !

Thank you again, Mori :) I hope to soon do poppies :)

Thanks WAW for you comments :) I keep getting stuck on details but I think it is also something that brings the stained glass to life :)

Thank you CC ... I am full of awe and admiration when I look at the incredible beads that are posted in here. I never knew such beauty existed!

B2... Thank you for your comments. I am quite the opposite.. I would be totally useless if you wanted me to make beads. I read a wee bit up on Flameworks and I got completely lost.. so I will stick with stained glass *grin* although I wouldn't mind buying some of the beautiful beads!! Incredible work in this forum!!

macbeth7
08-20-2002, 11:51 PM
Wow, another beauty! Wonderful work, Gerri! :clap: I too would love to have such art filling my windows. Not sure if the orchids would like it though! :D

Beth