PDA

View Full Version : The Waterhole Cafe Feb. 1-8th

ironhorse
02-01-2009, 04:06 PM
What already past noon and no one has started a new Cafe!!! Slackers ;)
Remember anyone can start this thread!!
Twyla :D

Last Weeks Thread (http://http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542955)

skappy
02-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Hi i did nt know any body can start it Anyway i got up went ot feed the cats clean the litter we share a four catted house all rescued i thaught i ll paint but it was a glorious cold day went to garden store they already have all kind of plants i almost thaught i was springtime do not worry that is for soon
About paint i restarted something i gave up a year ago it is oil i like it a lot but i ca nt wait i m thinking of acrylicks at least a good percentage of the work when i see what you re doing you guys [which one is very good if i ever try it]
Any way happy week i ll post my restarted painting soon i think the reason why i gave up was i impatient i m use to watercolour a good hair dryer and you dont wait
See you Robert

Snuzin Susan
02-01-2009, 05:30 PM
:eek: Thanks ironhorse! Pulled a 12 hour shift yesterday and passed out then I was back at work this morning so no time! I hope everyone is excited for Superbowl Sunday (In the U.S. at least) I'm in the dog house at my second family's house since I was quoted in the newspaper for saying I wasn't a big Steelers fan :lol: . You win some you lose some!

-Susan

teranja
02-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Hi everyone :wave:

Well another week and still no real relief from our heatwave conditions until at least Sunday. If it gets over 40 degrees today it'll break the record which has stood since 1908. :( It really is awful and my poor garden is almost dead.

One bonus is that on Saturday morning, as we were sitting outside having a cup of tea. a koala came down out of a big gum tree in the backyard and just ambled its way across the garden! :D It was awesome. It wasn't worried about us at all and we were only a couple of feet away from it. Soooooo cute!!!

Have a great week people....Terry

P.S. Patrick, if this heat doesn't let up I really am coming over to infiltrate the lobster tanks and I'll ask you to ignore the wriggling in my knickers...I mean I can't help it if one or two of those delightful, delectable crustaceans want to come home with me. *drool* :evil:.

palettetalk
02-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Hi Gang,
Much to my disappointment it is snowing again today but I still wouldn't want to trade places with the folks in Adelaide as that record breaking heat wave sounds exhausting not to mention dangerous. I do hope our 'Oz' friends aren't near any of the bush fires that are raging over there....
I haven't been painting for the last week but sure hope to pull myself out of my winter blues and get the easel set up this week. Anyone have any secrets to getting out of a slump?
If you live in a winter 'wonderland' stay warm but if in Oz stay cool! :)
Cheers to all.
Susan

sveldstra
02-01-2009, 11:05 PM
Happy new week everyone. We had a beauty day here in southern Ontario, Canada. It actually went above freezing for a few hours.
I haven't painted in two days and I'm feeling guilty. I'm letting too many mundane duties take precedence (maybe I should boycott laundry.) I did go and check out the opening of a miniatures show that I have some work in, so at least I did do something artsy. It's always nice blending in with the crowd and overhearing some one say something nice about one of your pieces. I have another show/competition opening next weekend and then nothing booked until June. When it rains it pours, when it doesn't, it really doesn't. Have a good night all.

PatrickHedges
02-01-2009, 11:46 PM
Well, after six days of "40°C plus" weather, it's only going to be 39°C today :lol:

Here's the forecast. Oooo look, it's going to cool down in a week :cool:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Feb-2009/60252-Weather.JPG

Biggest problem has been that with all the power cuts which our provider does to protect itself from overload, there's been about 34 heat related deaths. The unfairness of it all is evident. In the paper today, one family had had power failures on four consecutive days, and for long periods of time. I haven't had any!! I've been so lucky but I'd gladly take my turn because it's just so unfair on some.

teranja
02-02-2009, 12:31 AM
Hi Patrick....we didn't get cuts either, and neither did any of my kids who live in in 3 different parts of the city. :confused: I do feel so very sorry for those who did. It must have been dreadful for them and, like you, I'd gladly take my share of the cuts. I even had candles and the camp stove out in preparation but it didn't come. :thumbsup:.

By Sunday we'll have to wear jumpers!!

Donna Southwood
02-02-2009, 12:50 AM
That heat sounds horrible. 34 deaths! That's so tragic. Glad to hear the temperature is going to start dropping now.

Took a piece to a show today, then watched the superbowl - awesome game, no matter who you were cheering for.

PatrickHedges
02-02-2009, 01:10 AM
Donna, the Cardinals had an Aussie punting for them so everyone here would have been rooting for them, but he had a lousy game apparently. Shame. Anyway, well done to the Steelers - close stuff

palettetalk
02-02-2009, 02:54 AM
Wow, but it sure is hot in your neck of the woods Patrick & Teranja...my daughter lives in Perth (just became an Australian citizen) but she hasn't said anything about it being overly hot over there. Mind you she so loves the heat that she never complains about it but will grumble if it is cold.
Do be very careful and let us know when the heat wave finally breaks. Very sad to think there has been lose of life due to the heat. We do get as hot as your temperatures in our summer but never for as long as yours has gone on for. We are much more likely to get deaths due to freezing and there have been 16 deaths due to avalanches so far this winter.
Do you find the extreme heat makes it impossible to get interested in being creative and working on painting?
Cheers,
Susan

PatrickHedges
02-02-2009, 05:00 AM
Susan, the last similar length heatwave was 1908. This one pipped that for hotness. Though last year in March we got 15 days over 35C (95F) in a row. We used to own an old stone house and once it heated up, it was like an oven. Now we are in a brick house and it changes temperature with the day so it's great.

Perth has been cooler, I guess buffered by all that ocean and the prevailing westerlies. Still, I watched the cricket there yesterday on tv and it was 35C so it's reasonably hot.

koisdad
02-02-2009, 05:35 AM
well sorry guys about the heatwave thing. we had ice storm the end of last week and i didnt have electricity for a few days. roads are just now driveable. good luck ill be praying ofr the heat wave to end

Artybo
02-02-2009, 08:00 AM
Good morning all,
Yea! the ice is melting. Hopefully that ice storm is the worst this winter has in store for us and we can look forward to the rest of winter being mild.

animaldoctor
02-02-2009, 08:25 AM
you could send some of the heat wave this way its freezing. watching the snow fall outside and not planning on leaving the house!!!!

jody007
02-02-2009, 09:55 AM
Morning all! It is raining here and alittle cool 45 degrees. Weather man had been saying snow for tonight and in the morning, but I don't think it is going to happen. I guess I will paint on my dogs today and doing alittle house cleaning lol. I think I need 3 cups of coffee to just get my butt going lol.
I hope everyone has a beautiful day.
Jody

sveldstra
02-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Wouldn't it be great if we could just blend the temperatures some how, we'd all be comfortable. I hope you guys down under get some relief soon.

IanArt
02-02-2009, 11:41 AM
I think ill pass on the heat. The snow isn't so bad. My back could use a brake from shoveling though. Ill take shoveling over cutting the grass any day though.

Ian

skappy
02-02-2009, 01:07 PM
hi this morning every thing was covered with snow i thaught great i m gonna take picts by the time i got there because of bad traffic due to the snow it started raining the snow turned into mud the light was terrible i took the picts anyway i did nt look at them yet

when back home and painted
take care Robert

Snuzin Susan
02-02-2009, 02:54 PM
Mmmmmmm I love Superbowl Sunday. Delicious chili, amazing wings, some cold brewskis....and HILLARIOUS Superbowl adds. :clap: But Susan is no oh so tired. Oh well! At least I've finally overcome my cold!

-Susan

skappy
02-02-2009, 03:09 PM
here is Bunny cat number 1 or2 her sister is like a clouded leopard we never knew who came 1st

aRt4us
02-02-2009, 03:53 PM
I agree with you.
I don't want to be wrong.

Coffee please, Its snowing outside, first time in a long while. Its only a light snow fall but nice.

Crias
02-02-2009, 04:07 PM
I just got back from a weekend of skiing... nice weather, but the snow was only so-so. Fun nevertheless!

I came home to my results for the jurying for the art show at the dog show and they accepted 3 out of 4 of my entries, so that made me happy. Last year they rejected both of my scratchboards that I had entered, this year they accepted 2 out of 3 and one photo (different judges this year of course) :) Anyone else here back yet? I know a few more on the forum sent in entries.

palettetalk
02-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Patrick, that's a long standing record your area broke ...how are the farmers faring with their crops and livestock? Hope you get some cool, rainy weahter soon as it sounds like you could definetely use some!
Take care.
Susan

Donna Southwood
02-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Hi all, I had a busy day running errands and just got in. No painting yesterday or today, but on Saturday I finished that little fuchsia painting that was vexing me all week.
It's a beautiful spring day here today. Makes me want to run out to the garden centre and buy seeds!
Donna

Donna Southwood
02-02-2009, 06:17 PM
Cute bunny cat Robert!

PatrickHedges
02-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Susan, some of their farms resemble dustbowls, some are doing ok, none are doing fine.

IanArt
02-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Hey Donna, post them!!!!!

Ian

Tazz
02-02-2009, 07:28 PM
We're lucky in Tassy, it's not to hot and not to cold. Is dry though, a bit of rain would not go astray. Had a bit yesterday and thought a big ol cloud was coming up the river this AM but that hasn't happened yet. Farmers as always are doing it tuff.

As far as the Mainland goes, it's a shame they can't pipe the flood waters of Cairns down to the drought areas of Aus...all that water just running out to sea. They can build the Alaskan Pipe Line to move oil but I guess there's just not enough money in water...YET.

Kusanar
02-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Man, here we had a very odd day! Up until about noon it was over 50 degrees (F)! By 3:00 it was SNOWING and 30 degrees. I was very confused! But It was a funny sight going to school, in the morning we were all running around in light coats (some shorts, and flip-flops), then later we were all bundled in heavy winter gear!!!

aRt4us
02-03-2009, 05:12 AM
Its still snowing and our young boy cat is loving chasing and jumping for each snow flake. So I made soft snow balls and through them at him, he loved it and jumped at them.
Top left show the snow jungle, Top right shows the wild tiger paw prints,
Bottom left show the camoflage of the wild animal. Bottom rights show the wild thing trying to kill the snow flake that just landed. This cat is mad!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Feb-2009/82849-Milo.jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#)

My hands got cold so to warm them up I asked the wife if I could put them on her boobies :evil: she screamed :eek: and ran away I gave chase and now my hands are warm along with a warm red mark on my cheek:D

She loves me really.
Gary

sveldstra
02-03-2009, 09:14 AM
She must. I'd beat my husband senseless if he tried that. That is one cute cat. Mine keeps trying to sneak out of the house, but then freezes in panic when he gets out the door. The snow is piled up three to four feet everywhere and I think he realizes that he would disappear into it were he to go exploring.

Artybo
02-03-2009, 09:53 AM
Hi all,
Drat! It's snowing in Louisville again. I was really hoping the weather was on the rise since it warmed enough to melt everything yesterday.
The hot water faucet broke on the bathroom sink yesterday so my big thing to do today is go to the hardware store and buy new faucets then try to get someone to come and fix it. I think this is one of those things where they have to turn all the water off so maybe they will fix the drip in the kitchen sink at the same time. I am contemplating moving. Little by little this old house seems to be disintegrating around me. Did I mentioned that the chimney disappeared in the ice storm.

aRt4us
02-03-2009, 09:55 AM
Sharon: She started it she put her cold hands on my lower cheeks if you know what I mean.:rolleyes:
Cute cat.....you say, Mad............. I say!! Our two other cats just sat I watch this nut trying to catch each snow flake.

I'm being an :angel: now

Made her a hot Choc and sume lunch.
Gary

birdlady
02-03-2009, 12:53 PM
weellllllllllllll we have got COLD again its 7 but WC is -22 and the wind goes right thro u. gosh mother nature is sooooo goofed up with the weather across the nations.

Gary your a ornery one buut (pun intened) turn about is fair play I guess :lol: Love your cats coloring

I have a customer wanting me to do a painting of her friends horse but the guy that has the pictures( the horse is boarded and his place) of it wont call me back. I have called him 4 times now. :mad: :mad: :mad: Hes gona cost me the 250 commission.

Laurie

skappy
02-03-2009, 01:46 PM
hi
the snow melted so far Gary has a cute cat my cats like snoe flakes too and the adventage of the snow is whithout being Sherlock Holmes you an tell wher your cat went
today i went to Paris and draw live models at La Grande Chaumiere it is a cool place its is opened to everyone if you ever passby and are ready to spend 16 Euros for the afternoon
Take care all of you
Robert

Donna Southwood
02-03-2009, 02:02 PM
Hi all. It's like spring here again today, but I'm not letting it fool me. I know winter's not over yet.. a little groundhog told me.
Love your cat & snow & boobie story Robert.... she must love you.
I did a count recently and discovered I have 20 unfinished paintings kicking around the studio, so my New Years resolution is to finish them. I'm going to start in on one today. Just have to decide which one. So far I've narrowed it down to three.
Donna

Donna Southwood
02-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Okay, I keep confusing everyone..... I meant Gary's cat story.... Sheesh, get on the ball! It must be all that unaccustomed sunshine going to my head.
Donna

skappy
02-03-2009, 02:59 PM
no problem just hope Gary is not upset and you didnt started th new 2009 soap opera pease copyright it

Have fun Robert

QueenBArt
02-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Gary you are too funny! And I don't blame your wife on bit, yikes!! makes me cold just thinking about it.

It's interesting to see who and where there is snow to be found this day. I would like to state for the record that it was 63F yesterday at 2pm. This morning at 7pm there is 2 inches of snow on the ground. Heck by 10pm yesterday we were at 32 degrees, that 31 degrees in eight hours!!! I'm at a loss, weird, weird weather. We're in the 40's for the next few days with a warm up begining Friday through next week of 50-60 degree temperatures, very odd for February here. I am hoping that durn groundhog fibbed and we will indeed see an early spring!!

Here's a couple of pictures I took this morning as I was leaving for work.

1) Is the side of the house with Tess the wonder dog on the porch looking at me like "Nope, too cold, I'm going back to bed" when I went to warm my car up.

2) Front of the house as I was driving away. The sun was just breaking through the clouds to the east and I wish I could have stayed because those orange rays were just illuminating the tops of the trees. BTW if you can't see, trust me, the oak trees actually have BUDS on them....never seen it that early before....:rolleyes:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Feb-2009/69910-2-3-09-2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Feb-2009/69910-2-3-09.jpg

AngieR
02-03-2009, 04:51 PM
Anyone wanna go to the beach? :) It is still perfect beach weather here in California.

I wouldn't know what to do with snow if I lived with it. I've seen it on the ground in Tahoe and Nevada, but don't think I have ever seen it fall. I forget that we do not have weather here and that it is actually winter.

palettetalk
02-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Angie... pssssssssst :p to you! :lol:
If you had snow you would shovel it, snowblow it, swear at it and then shovel it some more! You stack it up high and get exercise by throwing it ever higher and then you swear at it, shovel it and ...
By the time February rolls around you just shouldn't tell frozen Northerners you "wouldn't know what to do with snow"...we are all a little crazy from winter and you could get pelted with a zillion snowballs! :evil:
Cheers :wave:
Susan

goby
02-03-2009, 06:56 PM
Gary your wife must love you!!!!It was a pleasant spring feeling day, the sun poked thru the clouds for a part of the day. Winter isn't over yet, some of our biggest snow falls are in Feb/Mar! Hoping the heat wave breaks soon for all you down-under folks.
Goby

Southern Wind
02-03-2009, 07:25 PM
I'm cold at the moment.... but only because I just finished eating an Italian Ice, Pina Colada flavor.... mmmm.
But really I am celebrating today too Cathy, as I just heard back from the Art Show at the Dog Show also. Same ratio as you, they took 3 out of the 4 I submitted. Of course I was surprised at the one they rejected because that was my favoritie one! Go figure. It could be they already had a lot of that breed as I am sure that is something the judges consider when choosing. It would sure be interesting to be a fly on the wall during the jurying process.
As for the weather is kinda cold here and tomorrow it is supposed to go down in the 30's with possibility of some snow flurries just north of here. We have only had one measurable snow here this year.
I have been doing lots of painting but haven't posted any of them recently. I have so many irons in the fire, trying to get ready for the dog show I will be doing my booth at in 1 1/2 weeks and then the big one, the American Whippet Club National Specialty in April. Need to have lots of new art for that one for my booth and they are having an art show this year as well....and that is just a few of my projects. Now if I could just start making some money.....
And of course my dogs keep me busy and keep me company, so there you go. My update in a nutshell.
Yvonne

jody007
02-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Gary you are so funny lol! It is really cold outside right now it is 27 degrees and windy! I worked on my of painting of Sammy and PJ and it is not going well at all. I just can't get the bg right. I hate painting bgs! LOL!
Jody

Tazz
02-03-2009, 08:16 PM
It's 25 in Tassy, with a nice bit of breeze. This is the view from my home office, Cruise Ship in the river and this guy just came floating past my window. They've been doing that a lot lately, think they're selling rides.

Anyway, it's a perfect day...not that I don't like snow and shoveling it and getting wet and cold and throwing snow balls at my cat...I LOVE that stuff...but this is good too :D

I also tried to touch my wife's boobies because Gary put the idea in my head...turns out you get the same red marks on your face in this weather too...I love an experiment :lol:

Tazz
02-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Just a note, our 25 is just a BIT different to your 27 Jody. I love Metric.

AngieR
02-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Ha:lol: I will totally remember this whenever I venture somewhere that has snow. I won't mention how pretty it looks or how fun it would be to have it snow...for fear of being buried in a snowpile.

I've seen pictures on the news of people digging their cars out of it all and here I don't even have to defrost the car windows. Oye. Yeah, I am totally spoiled! Although I may move to D.C. soon and I've never lived anywhere but the Bay Area so I guess I will learn the hard way what cold is:evil:

I will just have to use the legitimate excuse that I am from California and don't know what I'm doing:eek:

Stay warm:)

Angie... pssssssssst :p to you! :lol:
If you had snow you would shovel it, snowblow it, swear at it and then shovel it some more! You stack it up high and get exercise by throwing it ever higher and then you swear at it, shovel it and ...
By the time February rolls around you just shouldn't tell frozen Northerners you "wouldn't know what to do with snow"...we are all a little crazy from winter and you could get pelted with a zillion snowballs! :evil:
Susan

Snuzin Susan
02-03-2009, 09:25 PM
I hate you...I hate you all! Just kidding. Those are just some lovely lovely photos. Wow!

-Susan

palettetalk
02-04-2009, 02:59 AM
My daughter lives in Perth, Australia - she hated Canadian winters so is now an Aussie citizen. Apparently, Perth has also been suffering a heat wave this past week with + 40 degree (Celsius) weather and no rain for ages. Looking for relief from the heat this little koala bear wandered out of the bush and into the back porch of a co-worker's home. His wife gave it a pot of water and then took these photos. Doesn't get much cuter than this!
Susan

skappy
02-04-2009, 03:15 AM
happy bear

aRt4us
02-04-2009, 04:48 AM
Tazz........... You’re Koalas having a bath. Did you get any paint on him?:D
Snows gone but weather man says more to come. Cats looking at me, as if to say where have you put that white stuff.

Coffee and a tea cake please.

great cafe here
Gary

animaldoctor
02-04-2009, 05:12 AM
Cats are great aren't they!!! my little rascals favorite passtime atm is to sit behind my table top easel and reach underneath with his little paws and steal my pastels and bad them about. i'll be finding them for weeks, hes broken a few as well. he disappears when i got the camera tho.
i'm not sure what he would do in the snow... probably stand there flicking his feet cos his toes were wet!!!

i love the little koala, it must be feeling a little cooler. as much as i want it warm i don't want 40oC it might just kill me!

jen

Iaartist
02-04-2009, 07:44 AM
I have 3 cats and one likes my brushes. Drives me crazy. The hair really drives me crazy.
Its -9 out this morning. I am so sick of this coldness and at work my office is so cold. I need to get one of those little heaters.It is supposed to warm up tomorrow I think. It better.

I started another portrait and this one is an appoloosa with lots of roan and crazy spots. Not going to real easy. I finished my black horse pretty much.

Tazz
02-04-2009, 07:45 AM
Tazz........... You’re Koalas having a bath. Did you get any paint on him?:D

:lol: :lol:

Don't know if you guys realize just how rare seeing that little koala drinking water is. Koalas RARELY ever drink water unless there is an extreme dry...yet alone jump in the stuff :eek:

I saw this on our news here, little bugger made the BIG time. :lol:

Dave Hawk
02-04-2009, 08:35 AM
Well we are getting dusted here in DC and weather is holding around 30-32 F I still getting over food poisoning from super bowl evening. So I will wish you all well and stay warm.

sveldstra
02-04-2009, 09:26 AM
Morning all:wave: . We are into another cold snap, the last two days were pretty decent but they are saying it will drop down to -22 and then the next day jump up to plus 7(that's Celsius). What weird weather.
That Koala is definitely just the cutest thing. He looks so happy in his little tub. I hope the heat wave breaks for you soon. It has to be brutal to deal with when the zipper on your fur coat is stuck and you can't get out of it.
Dave I hope you get to feeling better soon. Being sick when you are self employed is no fun, it's not like you can call in and someone else will cover for you.
Well have a great day folks.

puglady
02-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Awwww cute little koala. That's way more exciting than finding a raccoon in your garage.

Donna Southwood
02-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Awe... that little koala is so cute! And bold too! I want one.....
Our spring weather didn't last long, and its cold again - hard frost that still hasn't thawed. But its practically balmy by most of your standards, (except for you oz's) so I'm not complaining.
I narrowed down my unfinished paintings to 3 but couldn't narrow it down any further, so I'm going to work on all three for now (not simultaneously of course).

AngieR
02-04-2009, 01:56 PM
OMG, that is the cutest thing ever. Koala's are cute.

Snuzin Susan
02-04-2009, 02:48 PM
That is so funny. Especially since the other night I had a dream about having a pet Koala and saving him from the sun or something...he could talk..it was weird. But I think it came from that careerbuilder commercial where the guy punches the poor koala :lol: It was a stuffed animal I swear!

-Susan

Artybo
02-04-2009, 03:09 PM
Darling photos of the koala. Its almost like he was posing for his picture to be taken.

Snuzin Susan
02-05-2009, 12:51 AM
And whew...finally finished my latest endeavor in scratchboard. I'd post it in the reg. A&W but its a horse...so for those of you who are interested (Trust me your prob not! :lol: ) Drop by the Equine forum. You can also see Patrick's endeavors with the horse in the "your favorite horse art you have done" thread...which is pretty spectacular...along with all the other wonderful four legged animals (ok just horses) we got going on over there. Really I swear it is a treat!!!!!!!!!!!

-Susan

Artybo
02-05-2009, 08:17 AM
Good morning all...
I had plumber come to replace my broken faucet in the bathroom. Can you believe he fixed the broken part and did a couple of other small jobs and only charged me $25. Most of the time it cost $60 just to have them walk through the door. I feel blessed. Hope all of you have a blessed day.:angel:

Dave Hawk
02-05-2009, 08:53 AM
Bonnie, sounds like a relative, some days service guys get a since of someone who could use a blessing and it is so much nicer to deal with persons who have a smile.
I'm hoping this play out today so I can leave the shop about 2 pm so I can drive down to Richmond and watch my son play soccer plus I'll be able to stay down there a drive him home for winter break tomorrow. I got allot to do before 2.

birdlady
02-05-2009, 10:34 AM
I have a piece to finish up today and get to the people putting a show on so gona be a busy one for me. Its not below freezing for a change and its great.

Bonnie your a lucky one and he was a really nice guy. My guy is a plumber also and he gets 75 just to walk in the door. Gota love the ones that give you a nice day.

Dave ....awwwwwwwwwwwwwww what a good parent you are. I didnt get to all my kids games but they knew i was there in heart.

Off to paint have a good day all

Laurie

Donna Southwood
02-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Hi all, just a regular day in the neighbourhood today - no extremes of weather.
I have a bird feeder outside my studio window to keep me entertained. Sometimes I get non-avian visitors - racoons, squirrels, even a rat once, but yesterday's visitor was the most unusual yet....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2009/68346-sonny_at_feeder.jpg

That's my daughter's horse Sunni. We keep having to put them in the yard because of the mud from the flooding we had at the beginning of the year.

Oops, the power just went out - a common occurrence around here. I better conserve my laptop batteries.

Have a good day all....
Donna

Dave Hawk
02-05-2009, 03:17 PM
I can see Sunni has a good personality great picture.

Snuzin Susan
02-05-2009, 09:42 PM
So I posted this over in the scratchboard scratchy corner forum and I'm dropping by quick dry cafe to share this with them too, but I def. wanted to show you guys.

I saw the strangest (and really most beautiful) thing every today. I was driving along and I looked in the sky and I was like la la la clouds la la la rainbow cloud? Sure enough this cloud up up up in the sky was rainbow colored. I was so confused. It was a perfectly clear non-precipitation receiving day and the sun was setting. Well as I drove it got bigger and brighter as our positions to each other changed. And I swear at point the sun was right behind it and the cloud was the most intense rainbow color I had ever seen (even more intense then this photo) and the rays of light streaming from it were rainbow colored as well. You think I'm just talking about a dream but here is photographic proof of a rainbow cloud (not the one I saw unfortunately). It is the rarest naturally occuring atmospheric event. COOL!

http://hypography.com/forums/members/dougf-albums-nature-pics-picture228-fire-rainbow-rarest-all-naturally-occurring.jpg

-Susan

skappy
02-06-2009, 03:08 AM
hi
Nice pict Donna youre lucky to have horses i do not but i ve bird feeders too
Nice experience Susan
All have a good day here it is sunny and not so cold i m gonna paint
Robert

Artybo
02-06-2009, 08:21 AM
Susan that is an amazing sight you have seen, It reminds me of the photos you see of the Northern Lights only they are not as rainbow colored.

Dave Hawk
02-06-2009, 09:01 AM
morning all. Friday finialy. This has been one long week. I've am blessed with allot of customers who appreciate my work and who put trust in my abilities to handle there heirlooms.
I have a question; How do you handle dishing out all the complements when there are so many great artist on this forum. I just don't have enough time in one day. This place moves so fast. Do you pick a few artist to follow ? Or just reply to what moves you ?

YoungFang
02-06-2009, 09:43 AM
Hey all:wave: weatherwise i feel really unlucky here in Kent, not because of all the snow the UK is having but where i am there was distinct lack of it i was looking forward to throwing snowballs at my family and sledging but though we had a little snow earlier in the week it rained and it's all gone now.
I did briefly attempt to make a snowdog but it started to rain and i ran out of snow. I managed to take a few photos though and a little video; which was good as the next day the head had fallen off:eek:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2009/117354-snowdogr.jpg
That's an amazing rainbow btw.

birdlady
02-06-2009, 11:18 AM
what a neat expeience Susan thats one for the memory bank

Donna gota love that horse :lol: great shot

Dave there are so many wonderful artist is here. I try to pop into several different forums that interest me and make comments. Its hard to keep up.

youngfang...awwwwwwwwwwwwww love ur doggie. I havent had a chance to do a scupture as the snow has just been to hard but today would be a good day to do one with the temps getting up to above freezing but I have a BIG OLE list of to do things so wont make it.

hope u all have a great start to the weekend

Laurie

Donna Southwood
02-06-2009, 02:31 PM
Morning all,
Dave, I have the same problem, I've only been here a couple of weeks, so I wondered how you all do it. I've just been choosing random threads to check out, based on title mostly. And I've followed a few that have particularly interested me. There's no way I can keep up with all of them.
Raining here today....
Donna

skappy
02-06-2009, 03:34 PM
hello i agree i just check here and there what else can i do i like the title who knows for tread i did nt visit i m sorry eventually i ll
good vibes to all
Robert

sveldstra
02-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Hi everyone:wave: I just got back from the opening gala of a miniatures show I somehow managed to get juried into. Really good turn out, which was pleasing. Though I'd share some pictures. The first one is me and one of my paintings (it's the one under the one with the red dot and the juror's choice sign.), and a quick shot of the crowd. I was so anxious I forgot to try the wine and food. I'm not sure why shows affect me that way, oh well.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2009/151124-the_art_exchange_09.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2009/151124-lupin7_012.jpg

skappy
02-07-2009, 01:13 PM
hello everybody more snow yesterday twas almost springand now back and forth
Hi Sharon it seems you had a good day i m happy your cat liked the cat color wheel
tomorrow i m working on my tiger is it ok to pst it unfinished but half way done?
Have good day all of you Robert

Snuzin Susan
02-07-2009, 05:46 PM
Sorry for being MIA busy busy day yesterday and today.

Awesome job with the show! sveldstra! That is so cool! I'd be way nervous too!

Dave...to answer your question..I make it a point to look at every post in the the forums I frequent (A&W, Equine, and Scratchboard). I comment only if I feel I can add more then Good job. If I can answer a question I always comment, and if there is something that I really really really like I let them know. I think all the work on here is wonderful...don't get me wrong...its just so hard to respond to it all.

-Susan

Donna Southwood
02-08-2009, 01:16 AM
Hi Robert, I'd like to see your Tiger, even half done. Go ahead and post it.

I heard on the radio there are huge fires burning in SE Australia. Are any Oz's on this forum affected?
Donna

IanArt
02-08-2009, 03:19 AM
Hi everyone!

Dave that is a great question. I reply to as many as I can. I usually only post to the ones where I can honestly give feedback. I try to give an opinion on what I see that is good or in my eyes needs to be improved (if they ask for cc). I hope that I help people. I figure if I am honest....even if they may not want to hear it.....they will be honest with me. I want people to be brutally honest with me. It only hurts for a minute. That will make me better. I don't know. I guess that asks another question. Do you like the positive feedback or the critique better?

Ian

sveldstra
02-08-2009, 08:54 AM
I like all feed back. I feel it keeps me motivated.
Good morning everyone. I just thought I'd share this. I call it cat and mouse.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Feb-2009/151124-lupin7_029.jpg

Dave Hawk
02-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Ian, if a curtique dose not have any negitives I feel slighted. There are no perfact works and as a artist we I am constantly practicing by developing my gift. With that being said; If I see a finished work and it appears to be a high level of art I will not give a negitive, artist are very fragil bread and if like me very sentive a negitive through can carry into the shareing of a pictular work. As you said negitive thoughts may hurt for a while but the positive side if it hurts it should help to make you more aware of your flaws which cause you to focus more and study that area your lacking in.

Now to a thought I had yesterday. I went to a hunting Fishing Expo in
Harrisburg PA. it is the largest hunting fishing show on the east coast, once a year for a week. It has everybody who is any body in the hunting world there. Walk by Stephine yesterday she had a line 50 yards long of guys waiting to get her autograph. Check out the Benoit's booth Saw an old Buddy John Coit. There were also a number of top artist booths where I stopped and spoke to many of them. It amazes to me how many of the artist use air brush to finish off there paintings. Not what I call art. Art becomes more illustrations for commercialization at that point. And if that is what it takes to sell art these days, I'll probably go back into the closet and keep mine to myself and friends.
When I was in college I had a friend who is a very successful silk screen artist in the DC area (Greg English) He like my works and asked me to start showing my work with him in the malls and I declined because of the commerial status that went along with that. I don't mind entering my work in contest and maybe as I get older my ways may change but I hope not.

Each artist has there own way of working and I find no falt in that each has their own path to travel.

skappy
02-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Hi everybody
today i ve fiddle around whith my restarted oil it is in the new threads
thank you to Sharon and Donna who pushed me to restart it so if you do not like you know who to blame i wont feel alone
i gess the picture of the cat is Sharon s cat it is such a beautiful cat mine like the mouse the pointer ont he screen and the key board
Have a good week Robert

Dave Hawk
02-09-2009, 09:06 AM
Monday mornings, ouch, I get to little sleep and its a tiring day. I get to much sleep and I feel as if I got hit with a sledge hammer. LOL Weather seems to be warming up a bit. I hope to get started on another elk tomorrow.