PDA

View Full Version : February 2009 Oil Pastel Challenge

eyepaint
01-31-2009, 09:52 PM
February 2009 Oil Pastel Challenge

Everyone is welcome, even if you are new to oil pastels, to take one or both of the reference images below and paint your interpretation of it (them). You can crop, manipulate, alter the format etc., just use the references as inspiration for a painting and then post the results here for viewing.

Please include the kind of support (type, brand, weight) used, brand or brands of OP used, and the size of the painting and any other informtion about special techniques you might have used. Any other comments welcome.

The reference images are:

Pinkish-white flower (dahlia?) Look, just for Bill, there's a purple-ish BLUE flower in the picture, too :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2008/96240-wde_oct10_2008_floral_02.JPG

Mountain near Seward, Alaska.

Larger version here:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=79074&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=96240

Most of all, have fun!! Please join us :) :) :)

Cheers,

robertsloan2
01-31-2009, 10:24 PM
Thanks for some beautiful images! I'm not sure which one appeals to me more -- maybe this month I can make the time to do one of these. Especially if I don't get overambitious and try to do it large.

eyepaint
01-31-2009, 10:28 PM
Oh, a bonus people image. Whoops. Three images to choose from this month, lucky us. You can do a person, or an animal or a scene or a flower. Yay!

Robert - really hope to see your work. Now I'm off to apply some colourfix to a paper....

Scarefishcrow
02-01-2009, 01:38 AM
Oh, a bonus people image. Whoops. Three images to choose from this month, lucky us. You can do a person, or an animal or a scene or a flower. Yay!

:lol: :lol: EP, I see the gauntlet has been tossed down, so to speak! But I'm not sure I can resist that magnetic snowcapped Mountain scene!!!! Perhaps I only to a small pic of the "blue petunia??" for the "Rose of Many Bold Colors" that hosts this month and then that challenging mountain stream!

Thanks so much for your hosting and these are beautiful images!

I'm sticking to the blue flower to avoid embarrassing "DAHLIA"nces!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

BILL:clap: :wave: :heart: :music: :music: :heart:

Beautiful_Butterflies_Studio
02-01-2009, 06:41 AM
THANKYOU for hosting EP, hope to get a chance this month to paint one.... but which to choose??????? :lol:

Pat Isaac
02-01-2009, 07:23 AM
Thanks, EP and look at that BLUE flower for Bill.

Pat

mysurface
02-01-2009, 09:22 AM
I like Mountain near Seward, Alaska. Nice scene.

mysurface
02-01-2009, 12:08 PM
My first attempt by using 24 colour simbalion OP on black paper. I think I gonna sketch another one with different set of OP.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Feb-2009/155060-MtAlaska.JPG

eyepaint
02-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Bill, Stacey, Pat - thank you. Looking forward to your sketches :)

Ong - way to go!!! First entry for the month :) Looks like you were inspired. Great idea to use the dark surface with some dark hinting through the OPs.

Pat Isaac
02-01-2009, 05:30 PM
Wow a post already, Hean Kuan. Great painterly feel to this, and nice color. I think I might add a little blue to the sky to separate it from the snowy mountain tops.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
02-01-2009, 06:02 PM
WOW, Hean Kuan,
You are really fast this month. My backlog keeps growing and you keep going!

Great sketch!

Blue flower for "moi", Pat????:lol:

Bill

robertsloan2
02-01-2009, 08:29 PM
Hean Kuan, your mountain is inspiring. I love the way the sky runs into the snow -- it's something in the reference that I wasn't sure what I'd do with, you've turned it into power. It's the way the whole thing balances in yours, the mountain looks immense and the road leads on into mystery. Very good. You gave that mountain an Asian classical feeling in ways that I may spend a long time trying to understand.

Western perspective is there but so is an Eastern harmony about the mountain, something that I have a hard time putting into words. I see it in most ancient paintings though.

02-02-2009, 04:20 AM
Hean Kuan WOW what an amazing painting, congrats for been first to post with such a beautifully rendered and challenging painting!!!!

mysurface
02-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Thanks everyone, I made a second attempt with MUNGYO 72 colours OP. I feel comfortable with 72 colours compare to 24 colours :lol:

I won't say this sketch better as I still feel that my colours on each objects doesn't really balance, I feel not enough sense of depth, I ll probably try more attempts.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2009/155060-MtAlaska2.JPG

eyepaint
02-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Cool! Sketch #2! I see some colour variation in the distant mountain and in the foliage on the right in the mid-ground. Thanks for sharing! :)

Scarefishcrow
02-02-2009, 01:09 PM
Hean Kuan,

IMHO, I think you improved with sketch #2 because you seem to have gotten more variety in the values as well as the colors and better definition of objects in the landscape without too much detail.

You are living proof that practice pays off! Wish I had your discipline!

:clap:

Bill

Thanks everyone, I made a second attempt with MUNGYO 72 colours OP. I feel comfortable with 72 colours compare to 24 colours :lol:

I won't say this sketch better as I still feel that my colours on each objects doesn't really balance, I feel not enough sense of depth, I ll probably try more attempts.

robertsloan2
02-02-2009, 07:35 PM
Wow, I did one this time.

I had my 4" x 6" sketchbook out from doing the candle for Imbolc, a bit of time before our guests come tonight and my full set of Erengi handy (as always). So I went ahead and tried for a small study of the mountain near Seward, Alaska.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2009/70184-AlaskaMtn.jpg

Erengi Art Aspirer on ProArt sketchbook paper. I only have four pages left in that little sketchbook now. Happily, my Blick order with its replacement did ship about an hour ago so I will have a new one soon.

Thanks again for a great challenge! I might try it again larger once I've got more of the different varieties of oil pastels to test...

I varied my strokes from blending to directional strokes to expressive strokes in the water and trees to pointillism on the banks in the foreground. I heightened color a bit especially in the foreground so that color would warm as it came forward a bit more dramatically than in the reference.

Scarefishcrow
02-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Robert,

Great rendition of the Alaska scene. Very well balance colors and excellent atmostpheric recession!

Bill:thumbsup:

robertsloan2
02-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Thank you! I was going nuts on atmospheric recession, it was part of my goal with the painting to really strengthen that since the photo shows it so well. It was just perfectly staged between blue-green distant trees, yellower green pines, and then I went ahead and warmed the nearest pebbles to continue it with this weird grayish warm reddish purple color. It's sort of a bruise colored pastel on the second tray of the big Erengi set but it really helped in the pebbles.

robertsloan2
02-02-2009, 10:22 PM

Your second sketch has a more Western look than the first, where I was awed by the way the mountain had an air similar to ancient paintings. I think you're doing great on color.

Value in some areas may be a problem, where you have the distant blue-green trees coming up behind the pines the darkness cuts off at about their tops creating an awkward false line that ought to blend up gradually into the foothills. Maybe mute that with a little gray and bring the dark up in a less horizontal way, make that line behind those trees more irregular?

This one is good too, it isn't better but it's not bad either -- it's just very different from your first one. I'd love to see you try it again. It's much easier to work with more colors but sometimes they still need to be mixed to get the hues I want. Okay, most of the time they do.

I used 92 colors on mine and still almost every area is a mixed color. No, every single speck of that painting has at least two, maybe three or four colors worked over it. No areas had colors that I had pastels that exactly matched by themselves. I tend to mix more when I've got more colors for mixing because then I have more choices for how simple mixing comes out -- going over that blue green with light gray in some parts and with darker gray in others helped strengthen variations I put in by pressure.

truck driver
02-03-2009, 12:31 AM
Alright EP, I aint gonna promise nothing... but I gots my eyes on the flowers, and you all know there aint no way I can resist a mountain... Not an alaskan one anyway heck of a picture there btw... and I will resist the urge to paint it in blue... oh yes I will ;)

RG

Scarefishcrow
02-03-2009, 07:51 AM
Alright EP, I aint gonna promise nothing... but I gots my eyes on the flowers, and you all know there aint no way I can resist a mountain... Not an alaskan one anyway heck of a picture there btw... and I will resist the urge to paint it in blue... oh yes I will ;)

RG

RG, Long time no see! Missed ya and your lovely "better half"!

Now if anyone knows how to draw a mountain, got to be you, my friend! RG, FLOWERS??:eek: Now that's a man that knows beauty comes in forms other than "macho"! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

(I love that flower, but my last brush with tulips, well we don't want to linger on that discussion.)

Look forward to whatever you do! Hope GOSH jumps in, too!

Bil:wave: :thumbsup:

Scarefishcrow
02-03-2009, 07:54 AM
Thank you! I was going nuts on atmospheric recession, it was part of my goal with the painting to really strengthen that since the photo shows it so well. It was just perfectly staged between blue-green distant trees, yellower green pines, and then I went ahead and warmed the nearest pebbles to continue it with this weird grayish warm reddish purple color. It's sort of a bruise colored pastel on the second tray of the big Erengi set but it really helped in the pebbles.

Yes, I know. So many things to remember. Colors aren't what they look like. Distances aren't what they seem. Lights and darks are deceptive.

You know, considering the fact that some people have accused me of only having half a brain, this should be easy for me; that is unless my head lists to the left instead of the right! Hmmm. No comment for you (or RG) needed here.

Bill:lol:

mysurface
02-03-2009, 09:58 AM
Wow, I did one this time.

I had my 4" x 6" sketchbook out from doing the candle for Imbolc, a bit of time before our guests come tonight and my full set of Erengi handy (as always). So I went ahead and tried for a small study of the mountain near Seward, Alaska.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2009/70184-AlaskaMtn.jpg

Erengi Art Aspirer on ProArt sketchbook paper. I only have four pages left in that little sketchbook now. Happily, my Blick order with its replacement did ship about an hour ago so I will have a new one soon.

Thanks again for a great challenge! I might try it again larger once I've got more of the different varieties of oil pastels to test...

I varied my strokes from blending to directional strokes to expressive strokes in the water and trees to pointillism on the banks in the foreground. I heightened color a bit especially in the foreground so that color would warm as it came forward a bit more dramatically than in the reference.

Great sketch, I can see you parting the trees into 3 groups, that makes the entire painting balance, as well as the colours, gives me sense of depth. Thanks for the suggestions, I will do another attempt if I have the time.

truck driver
02-03-2009, 10:15 PM
Actually the reference to blue, had something to do with atmospheric perspective. DaVinci, says mountains in the distance apear to be bluish because of the color of the atmosphere. Its easy to draw a mountain.. Its not so easy to draw a PARTICULAR mountain... hopefully will have time to give it a shot within the confines of my particular form of torture.. (employment).

RG

truck driver
02-03-2009, 10:55 PM
EP, you picked quite a challenge here, the curve across the top fading into the mist, the mass of the mountain with all of its planes, and angles, the higher foliage with its tricky textures. the pine trees on both sides of a fast moving river.. and all those little rocks.....Heck of a lot of detail in that photo. and gosh says I have to be in bed in 8 minutes...... Of course I have to be up and awake at 4:00am to take a load of plastic plates to Eugene. And bring back a bunch of empty ink tanks to Portland... So I will be home tommorrow night barring any catastrophic weather events in the great North West.. Maybe I can start at least a value study then cuz I'm gonna need all the help I can get on this one..

RG

Scarefishcrow
02-04-2009, 12:10 AM
I have great faith in you RG!

eyepaint
02-04-2009, 12:27 AM
Robert - love the swishy strokes on the distant trees. Nice purples in the shadows of the snow.

RG - looking forward to your sketch. You don't have to do the mountain scene ... you could do the flower(s) and/or the people and/or the pooch.

Bill - have you started yet? :)

Scarefishcrow
02-04-2009, 12:37 AM
Robert - love the swishy strokes on the distant trees. Nice purples in the shadows of the snow.

RG - looking forward to your sketch. You don't have to do the mountain scene ... you could do the flower(s) and/or the people and/or the pooch.

Bill - have you started yet? :)

EP, I'm studying the images and analyzing the requisite textural, tonal and chromatic requirements in order to execute each image with precision, emotion, creativity and imnpeccable artistic vision!!!:smug:

Do you understand what I'm saying?

Bill:angel:

eyepaint
02-04-2009, 01:03 AM
EP, I'm studying the images and analyzing the requisite textural, tonal and chromatic requirements in order to execute each image with precision, emotion, creativity and imnpeccable artistic vision!!!:smug:

Yup. You're procrastinatin' :)

JTMB
02-04-2009, 02:56 AM
Hi everyone,

Here's my attempt at the mountain. This painting is a 9x12" on Canson watercolor paper, using Holbeins. C&C welcome.

John
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Feb-2009/165640-1309=S3-SewardAlaskaMountainForWetCanvas-Feb,09-WS.jpg

mysurface
02-04-2009, 11:19 AM
3rd Attempt on white paper this time, with MUNGYO 72.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Feb-2009/155060-MtAlaska3.JPG

robertsloan2
02-04-2009, 11:21 AM
John, that is fascinating. You've got uncanny accuracy on the mountain and I love the texture of the bushes and that little grade right under them, also the pines are magnificent. You handled the distant tree-covered foothills a bit different and I like the way you did it. The right hand group of pines is especially spectacular. The left side ones are interesting, forming a coherent mass with those dark accents within it.

Beautiful painting with some striking effects that I never would've thought of. Holbeins give such a wonderful range of tints, but you've done some cool things blending hues with them too. I sometimes think the many tints make it easier to blend hues and keep working up the value scale.

Hean Kuan, this one is your best yet! You've combined the best things from your previous two landscapes and carried it a little farther this time. The mountain has that grandeur and mystery about it. The forests are rich and lush, the water looks more natural in this one, overall this is a gorgeous painting. Wonderful! Your dedication to this one has made it wonderful to watch and inspired me to try more than once on the same subject again.

upnorthtim
02-04-2009, 12:06 PM
Here is a contribution. EP this is an excruciatingly difficult ref! Its really almost all the same value and when I started this I didn't plan the values well and have been trying to recover. This is 8 x 10 inches on Arches rough (yes rough!) watercolor paper. I underpainted in watercolor and then sealed that with clear acrylic gesso. The surface is extremely rough, which I wanted, to help capture all the texture in this ref. Its still not reading very well to me, particularly the lower right hand side. I need to fiddle the clouds a little too I think. C & C? (Senns, neopastels, and expressionist)

Tim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Feb-2009/133319-febopchallenge.jpg

JTMB
02-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the comments, Robert. Good to see all the contributions so far, despite being early in the month!

John

robertsloan2
02-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Tim, the lowest part of the lower right hand side is perfect. That bank of the river is gorgeous, I love the texture you got. The trees are wonderful. The mountain is good, difficult as it was to get those snow bits right (I went nuts on them when I did it). Your bushes look great too, all your trees are wonderful and the choice of rough watercolor paper really paid off in texture.

I think the part you are feeling annoyed with is the bank just under the trees where it's dark. You got it very dark with warm browns and then went over it with what looks like a deep blue-green, which reverses the highlights and shadows of the ridges where water runs down that little slope when it rains. The dry dirt would be lighter than that and somewhat warmer, closer to the original browns than the bluegreen.

My suggestion, specifically, would be to either scrape or cover that blue green and then go at it with a tan that's a value or two lighter than the warm browns. Leave the warm browns but add highlights on it to create form where those vertical slanted branching cracks between humps of dirt form. This will make it pop out instead of sinking in funny, and it'll look three dimensional like the rest.

If you want to gray it out, then use some of the dark blue green down into the crevices too and then a brown, make mud, mix it and use gray or grayish tan for highlights. Clay Rose or Mars Violet may be useful in the mix.

If you just go over it with tan or a lightener like Naples Yellow, what will happen is a greenish mix that may work and look like there's vegetation where you have the dark blue-greens. That may be a good option too -- a mixed green in the highlights and then reddish brown in the crevices.

Because it's a problem area with mixed colors I'd try different highlight colors over the combination on scrap paper before trying the fix, work out what I wanted to do in a study of just that area and then fix the painting.

This painting is worth it. In every other area of it you've done something gorgeous, and your values are superb. You strengthened them beautifully and used the paper texture for some awesome effects. If it was mine I'd be reworking it and not just let it pass on by, it's great and there's only that one problem area. Trees are perfectamundo. Don't change anything else in it, IMO.

gakinme
02-04-2009, 10:08 PM
I wasn't going to post this. After I took the picture of my Pentel Oil Pastel piece on Academie heavyweight sketch pad, I put Chinese ink on it and I literally destroyed it. :lol:

Anyway, here's my first attempt. Hean Kuan, your first piece reminds me a little of Mt. Fuji. And everyone's rendition are so pretty, especially the trees.

I don't even know why I tried this one. I don't even like green and trees. But I might try it again in a couple of weeks. Thank you, EP, for the references.

Original.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Feb-2009/86669-snowmt_orig.JPG

Photoshopped.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Feb-2009/86669-snowmt_orig_inkoutlines.JPG

robertsloan2
02-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Sandra, it's nowhere near as bad as you think. Sad that it got destroyed though. I love the photoshopped version, every time you use Photoshop you manage to create something truly interesting. You stayed very close to the reference on this and it is striking. Interesting that you used blue for the riverbanks, the stones look gray but your blue foreground is cool looking.

I love the pink shading into the blue on the mountain. You have a unique and pretty interpretation going here and I'm glad you scanned it before the ink problem.

gakinme
02-05-2009, 01:19 AM
Thank you, Robert, for the comment. I was afraid to put such a big patch of gray in the front. I understand that gray dulls a picture.

Anyway, here is the human piece. Pentel and Cray Pas Junior oil pastel on Academie heavyweight sketch book. 8x11.5 inch. It's very hard to draw two persons in so small a spce with my oil pastels. Next time I have to get a bigger surface. The guy was entirely oil pastel with only the eye lines detailed by Prismacolor pencil. The girl's face I had a lot of diffculty in getting the shading right because I have only one shade of purple from both boxes. In the end, I had to resort to using Prismacolor pencils for shading and details. I like the sweatshirt of the guy the best. I like the guy too. . The girl's hair is so colorful. :lol:

Thanks for the reference again, EP.

I don't like Cray Pas Junior that much anymore. While it is soft, it is crumbly and leaves tons of residue on the piece. Pentel is harder and perfect for things like the black sweatshirt type of sketching.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Feb-2009/86669-skagway2.JPG

upnorthtim
02-05-2009, 07:01 AM
Robert, thanks for the great advice! I'll keep at it.

Tim

truck driver
02-05-2009, 08:17 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2009/136518-mountain.JPG
Would you believe three hours in this and counting.. oh details yeah..
Senneliers on 130 lb sketchbook 15x11

RG

02-05-2009, 08:23 AM
Comments....

Hean Kuan
This second painting is STUNNING, so much more life and vitality!
The 3rd attempt is BRILLIANT, you have taken ALL of the advice and made this painting sing!

Robert
WOW, Amazing study, this has sooooooo much movement, texture and colours - it's BEAUTIFUL!!!!

John
WOW, this is a BEAUTIFUL painting.
As asked the only crtic would be to define better between the background pines and the mountain a little bit more.... not much, just a smidge!!!!

Tim
WOW, beautiful painting. LOVE the lost and found details throughout the painting.

Sandra
This is a great painting of the mountain and you have made a wonderful start, you just need to try again and I bet things will run a lot smoother!
The couple are beautiful, especially like the use of purples in the skin tones. You have such a unique style - it's WONDERFUL!!!!

Hope to post my start tomorrow!!!!!

02-05-2009, 08:24 AM
RG - WOW look at the details all ready, this is going to be a BEAUTIFUL painting to watch developing!!!!

truck driver
02-05-2009, 08:34 AM
depends on the grey when it comes to dulling a picture.. grey isnt always grey.. and white is rarely white.. things arent always what they seem, and large areas of grey,grey will dull anything.. large areas of several greys can very quickly bring meaning and life to something...

RG

truck driver
02-05-2009, 08:50 AM

You are trying to baffle us with b.s.?

RG

truck driver
02-05-2009, 09:44 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2009/136518-m2.JPG

O.k. I am going back to bed b4 I get myself in trouble with gosh..

RG

Scarefishcrow
02-05-2009, 01:13 PM
RG and EP: BINGO!!!

John,

Very nicely modulated sketch of the mountain stream.

Tim,

Good to see you again. Great sketch although I see what you are troubled by in the lower right and Robert has given you some good advice on how to handle that.

Sandra,

You are really painting a lot lately. Great. Love your Photoshopped rendition of the mountain scene and the portrait is very good.

RG,

If anyone can climb this mountain of a challenge it has to be you. Looking good at this stage!!

Wow, great to see all this activity! I hope I haven't overlooked anyone. If so, please forgive me!

Bill

robertsloan2
02-05-2009, 01:28 PM
RG, looking good! I'm impressed that you're doing it so large. No wonder it's taking a long time. Your mountain is powerful and expressive. I love the shape and upward thrust of it. Everything you have down on it already is great, give it the time to finish. I love that mountain.

eyepaint
02-05-2009, 03:30 PM
John - oooh look at those shapes in the distant mountainside. Love your river bank in the foreground.

mysurface - Attempt #3 - do you feel you're learning more about the subject, getting to know it? 72 colours seems to agree with you. Nice blues in the trees on the right.

Tim - Wow! Wow! Wow! Your sky is great and so is the coloured greys on the mountain side.

Sandra - happy you're joining us. Interesting use of pinks in the mountainside. The photoshopped version is cool with the squiggles. Allright someone tried the people picture. Way to go on her green coat and the shape of her cheekbones.

RG - that's a large piece. Way to go - good start.

Stacey - can't wait to see your piece

eyepaint
02-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Here we go. These are 9x12" with terracotta colourfix primer. Sennelier OP, 8 colours used.

Girl - n - dog - on Strathmore charcoal paper - rather flimsy but I wanted to see if the colourfix prevents the OP from soaking through to the back.

Dude with the hood - on 140lb watercolour paper

Cheers,

robertsloan2
02-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Eyepaint, these are awesome! Did the Colourfix primer protect the charcoal paper? Your bold primary colors against the terra cotta surface are wild. I like the way they look. You're still having loads of fun with that limited palette of Senneliers and it's so cool.

Scarefishcrow
02-05-2009, 05:02 PM
EP,

Fabulous with faces as you always are. Yes, the Colourfix primer will almost certainly prevent the oil from the OP from intruding into the paper. However, the company recommends a 140lb paper of higher, I think to prevent the most likely buckling on light weight papers; particularly those not designed for wet media.

Let us know how it worked out.

eyepaint
02-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Robert - thank you! :) So far the colourfix has prevented OP absorption but I'll check again in a few weeks to confirm.

Bill - thank you :) Yup I think I prefer the feel of the colourfix on the stiffer 140lb wc paper. Maybe I should reserve the charcoal paper for, er, charcoal :)

gakinme
02-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Thank you, Bill, EP, for your comments. Yes, Bill, Robert has inspired me to use more of OP's recently. It's really nice to know how I could improve in almost every piece I do.

EP, the green windbreaker for the girl is outstanding! And the dog is good and obedient!

02-05-2009, 09:08 PM
EP WOW these are fantastic, just with all of your flair and boldness, LOVE the girl and the dog!!!!!

robertsloan2
02-06-2009, 03:23 PM
I did the easy blue flower in Van Gogh on ProArt sketchbook paper, just a quick study. No attempt at photorealism or detail, just a study.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2009/70184-BlueFlower.jpg

Scarefishcrow
02-06-2009, 04:11 PM
Robert, GREAT BLUE FLOWER!!!

EP, Does that get me off the hook? Can I count Robert's Blue Flower??????:smug:

How about it.

Bill:wave:

02-07-2009, 03:36 AM
Robert for such a quick sketch this is actually quite BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

eyepaint
02-07-2009, 11:49 AM
Sandra and Stacey - thank you

Robert - great job on the blue flower. Any idea why Bill is such a scaredy cat when it comes to blue flowers? :)

Shirl Parker
02-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Cool as usual, EP.

Nice flower Robert.

robertsloan2
02-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Thanks!

I have a theory on why Bill is so scared of blue flowers. Once upon a time when he was roaming the bayous looking for stone tools and chert cores that stone tools were flaked off of, he sat down to sketch some blue flowers on a log ... and it moved, opening huge jaws to eat his backpack with the whole day's collection plus most of his art supplies because that was a dumb gator. Ever since, the sight of blue flowers reminds him that by Darwinian selection, the rest of the gators are smarter and would go for his leg.

I'm not saying it's a good theory, but I can make up a theory on the spot for anything. I'se a science fiction writer.

truck driver
02-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Robert, GREAT BLUE FLOWER!!!

EP, Does that get me off the hook? Can I count Robert's Blue Flower??????:smug:

How about it.

NOPE!!!!! you dont get better by Robert painting, and drawing.. no excuses.... Now draw me a pretty blue flower...

RG

Scarefishcrow
02-07-2009, 05:23 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks!

I have a theory on why Bill is so scared of blue flowers. Once upon a time when he was roaming the bayous looking for stone tools and chert cores that stone tools were flaked off of, he sat down to sketch some blue flowers on a log ... and it moved, opening huge jaws to eat his backpack with the whole day's collection plus most of his art supplies because that was a dumb gator. Ever since, the sight of blue flowers reminds him that by Darwinian selection, the rest of the gators are smarter and would go for his leg.

I'm not saying it's a good theory, but I can make up a theory on the spot for anything. I'se a science fiction writer.

Aside from the blue flower part, you came pretty close to a tail of my wanderings. However, it was in the Ozarks, a place called Hemmed in Hollow that was supposed to have the second highes waterfall this side of somewhere. I an a friend decided to hike in and take a look, book said it was only a about a mile so off we set. They failed to mention it was comparable to 15 miles on flat ground!! We finally got there only to find it it wasn't turned on in late July, bout like standing under a sprinkler.

Was getting late and dark, we ran out of water, no flashlight, got off track and about dusk I was tired and saw a beautiful rock that was designed perfectly for my butt icon! As a neared it and turned to sit I heard a srange rattling noise. Leaping upright I turned to see that in the dim light I had come very close to sitting on top of the biggest ##[email protected]# rattlesnake this side of the Rockies.

Being a biologist I whipped out my Video camera and as I was screaming obscenities unprintable here to my friend about the (fill in the most foul language you can think of here) rattlesnake I just about sat on with my heart pounding like a trip hammer!!!

My friend freaked. I sent him out and told him I would find a safe place to stay till daylight. Unfortunately he called the park rangers and after midnight was awakened by two ranges, two paramedics and when we got to the top what looked like the scene of the Mother ship landing in the Movie Close Encounters of the Third Kind! We would have made it out sooner, but periodically had to stop and rest for the paramedics to have cigarettes!!!!!

So you came pretty close, Robert! Of couse, I really wish he hadn't called my wife and told her I was lost in the Ozarks!!

:o :o :o Somewhere in a little ranger station in the ozarks is a picture of beaming rescue crew standing next to an ambulance with the cowering 6' 2" giant slowly shrinking into a tiny blue violet! (AHA, that's where the phobia comes from, Blue Flower - Violet = shrinking violet= embarassed=painful memory of great Ozark fiasco). Robert, you are a genius; you have helped me identify why I cant draw BLUE FLOWERS):clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

(EP, the story is totally true; are you buying the psychobabble about the flowers?????)

02-07-2009, 11:41 PM
:lol::lol::lol:
I like the stories here, they are soooooo entertaining!!!!

eyepaint
02-08-2009, 01:33 AM
Shirl - thank you

Robert - ah, a fellow fiction writer, and you can come up with theories/stories for things/events too, like I do

RG - great sentence "nope you don't get better by Robert painting..."

Bill - ah but if that story is true, here's your chance to overcome your past and your fears - "feel the fear and do it anyway" :)

Stacey - yup lots of "stories" here :) Hope to see your sketches soon??? After the WDE you're hosting?

robertsloan2
02-08-2009, 02:04 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Aside from the blue flower part, you came pretty close to a tail of my wanderings. However, it was in the Ozarks, a place called Hemmed in Hollow that was supposed to have the second highes waterfall this side of somewhere. I an a friend decided to hike in and take a look, book said it was only a about a mile so off we set. They failed to mention it was comparable to 15 miles on flat ground!! We finally got there only to find it it wasn't turned on in late July, bout like standing under a sprinkler.

Was getting late and dark, we ran out of water, no flashlight, got off track and about dusk I was tired and saw a beautiful rock that was designed perfectly for my butt icon! As a neared it and turned to sit I heard a srange rattling noise. Leaping upright I turned to see that in the dim light I had come very close to sitting on top of the biggest ##[email protected]# rattlesnake this side of the Rockies.

Being a biologist I whipped out my Video camera and as I was screaming obscenities unprintable here to my friend about the (fill in the most foul language you can think of here) rattlesnake I just about sat on with my heart pounding like a trip hammer!!!

My friend freaked. I sent him out and told him I would find a safe place to stay till daylight. Unfortunately he called the park rangers and after midnight was awakened by two ranges, two paramedics and when we got to the top what looked like the scene of the Mother ship landing in the Movie Close Encounters of the Third Kind! We would have made it out sooner, but periodically had to stop and rest for the paramedics to have cigarettes!!!!!

So you came pretty close, Robert! Of couse, I really wish he hadn't called my wife and told her I was lost in the Ozarks!!

:o :o :o Somewhere in a little ranger station in the ozarks is a picture of beaming rescue crew standing next to an ambulance with the cowering 6' 2" giant slowly shrinking into a tiny blue violet! (AHA, that's where the phobia comes from, Blue Flower - Violet = shrinking violet= embarassed=painful memory of great Ozark fiasco). Robert, you are a genius; you have helped me identify why I cant draw BLUE FLOWERS):clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

(EP, the story is totally true; are you buying the psychobabble about the flowers?????)

LOL -- truth is stranger than fiction! Good story. I can see how that'd be an obvious mistake to make, snake all piled up and coiled like that. Good thing the snake was more alert than you were! I hope there was enough light to get a good video.

I probably would've been less embarrassed about getting rescued like that in the middle of the night because I'm more of a 5' 4"/5" crooked little guy who probably couldn't have hiked up that far anyway. But if I got airlifted in I'd be glad if someone came up to airlift me out after I got done plein air painting and avoided all rattlesnakes.

As for the blue flowers... pull the other leg, it hath bells on...

Scarefishcrow
02-08-2009, 12:18 PM
The story is ABSOLUTELY true. Of course, the whole story would take too long to tell, but YES I do have video, of the entire saga, including me standing in the periodic droplets from the waterfall doing my best David Attenborough impression of seriously explaining the situation. I thought once of sending the video of the snakes in to AFV's to see if I could win the $10000, but I'm afraid the sound track would have ended up mostly one long BLEEP since I was both excited as a biologist and loving getting the video, but also had just you know what in my pants and had the living daylights scared out of me. You can probably hear my heart pounding between obscenities on the video (not that I always talk like that, but somehow having your life flash before your eyes and those little adrenal glands working at full capacity tends to bring out the salty sailor in me).

Actually, as the rangers themselves told me, all I really needed was something to drink and a flashlight. I had been out in the wilds enough to know when it gets dark and you have no light or water the best thing to do is find a safe place, which I did, and wait for light. My friend was young and had never been out like this and I knew he could scurry out but I couldn't keep up. Told him I would be ok, but unfortunately, but as he probably should, contacted the rangers. Unfortunately the description of a very portly, nearly fifty year old guy that had asthma and no water painted a rather grim picture in the minds of the rangers that were unaware of the fact that, though true, I was far from the "typical" tourist and had much experience in unknown wilds and new basic, logical survival skills!

In retrospect it is somewhat hilarious, at the time it was mostly embarassing to emerge from the woods to a floodlit area with what seemed every emergency vehicle and personnel in the immediate vicinity. Tried to stay in the woods till they left but the ranger said there were papers to be signed and the requisite corkboard photo of the safely rescued person!

Oh, my frightened friend...asleep in the truck and almost impossible to wake! Hmmph.

Sorry, for the OT, EP, and I now feel compelled to do the blue flower!!

:o :o

Aye, Aye, Captain EP!
Any particular shade of blue??

wabbitt
02-09-2009, 12:17 AM
Apologies for getting back on topic. Nice story, Bill. I can't wait to see the blue flowers :D

Pentels on brown packing paper. Image is about 5x7 inches.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Feb-2009/76057-op001.jpg

Scarefishcrow
02-09-2009, 01:44 AM
Apologies for getting back on topic. Nice story, Bill. I can't wait to see the blue flowers :D

Ouch!:eek: And after all that cool weather we sent!:(

Nice job on both the sketch and zinger!!:clap:

Looks like my witty reparte is not working and blue flowers are in my future!

Bill:eek:

robertsloan2
02-09-2009, 02:07 AM

This is beautiful! So bold with all those strong values and clean lines! It grows on me the more I look at it. Be sure to take the highest resolution scan that you can of it, so that archival prints can be made someday. I would if it was mine.

Wonderful use of Tightwad Materials too! Did you use some turpentine or is that all smudge-shading? Either way it came out beautiful.

wabbitt
02-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the comments. Bill, you're not going to take back your cold weather, are you? :eek:

Robert, I did have a hard time with the colors because there's no way I could match the reference with my pentel set. In fact on screen I see a green smudge in the mountain which isn't that bright IRL. I didn't use turp, I don't think brown paper would work well with turps. I think it would soak in and run uncontrollably. I only used fat fingers and a a fat white cup tip color shaper.

As for future archival prints, the image doesn't move me that much. I chose it because it was an opportunity to practice trees. I have a plastic folder where I put work that isn't bound in one of my sketchbooks.

Scarefishcrow
02-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the comments. Bill, you're not going to take back your cold weather, are you? :eek:

Nah! Anyone that quick and subtle with a "self depricating zinger" has my utmost respect, Julie!!:lol:

I send more if my IP provider will give me more bandwidth!

robertsloan2
02-09-2009, 01:20 PM

Robert, I did have a hard time with the colors because there's no way I could match the reference with my pentel set. In fact on screen I see a green smudge in the mountain which isn't that bright IRL. I didn't use turp, I don't think brown paper would work well with turps. I think it would soak in and run uncontrollably. I only used fat fingers and a a fat white cup tip color shaper.

As for future archival prints, the image doesn't move me that much. I chose it because it was an opportunity to practice trees. I have a plastic folder where I put work that isn't bound in one of my sketchbooks.

Julie, that's interesting. The result of your attempted matching colors was a glorious rich and dark painting with beautiful color. You used a fat white cup tip Colour Shaper? Neat! I've been reserving my size 6 soft white ones for soft pastels ever since I got the size 2 gray Firm one.

When I try to match colors with a reference, I usually have to combine colors even if I've got a huge range like digging out my Erengi 90 color wood box set. It'll have something close to it but too dark or too green or too bright and then I'll try different colors over it to mute it. Pentels work great for that. Grays over blue tend to do well for mountains, and using all the light tints together makes a shimmery gray if they are proportioned right and not all blended completely.

wabbitt
02-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Robert, that's exactly what I did. To show the effect of distance, the difference in value should be smaller and smaller as you get further out. I tried to gray down the mountain and I grayed the sky more than I saw in the reference so that the dfference between mountain and sky is smaller.

While I was painting this, America the Beautiful kept ringing in my head. :music: ...purple mountains magesty...:music:

robertsloan2
02-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Funny, Julie, that happened to me with a different painting, one I did in gouache of distant mountains. I wound up considering putting a flying eagle in because I couldn't get the song out of my head.

You're right, as soon as I looked at it I could see that and it's a lot more muted than the foreground stuff. I just mentioned it because of how you put it, thought that you'd been trying to match colors with sticks throughout.

Sometimes it's taken me three or four layers to get some area to the right color and the right texture. I still love this version.

Shirl Parker
02-09-2009, 05:38 PM
This isn't as bad as it scanned, but it's not that great either.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2009/113427-CCF09022009_00000.jpg

Scarefishcrow
02-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Shirl,
Looks like you got the essence of it pretty well.

Shirl Parker
02-09-2009, 06:07 PM
I think I'l give some of the discredit to the Richeson sanded paper.

Scarefishcrow
02-09-2009, 06:14 PM
I think I'l give some of the discredit to the Richeson sanded paper.

Is that the Richeson Premium Pastel Paper? What is is you didn't care for?

Bill

Shirl Parker
02-09-2009, 10:20 PM
Bill, it's hard to describe, but it's like the surface is covered with little tiny flat dots and the OP doesn't spread evenly.

eyepaint
02-09-2009, 10:55 PM
Bill - some cerulean blue, some ultramarine, some phtahlo, some ... :)

Julie - love how the picture "emerges" from the brown paper. Lovely purples.

Shirl - that paper sounds like a challenge so good for you for giving it a go with this picture. I think the texture works really well for the river banks.

robertsloan2
02-10-2009, 01:56 AM
Shirl, I can see that your scanner must have eaten some light values. Mine does that too and it's frustrating. You caught the essence of it and I like your bold cheery colors, you did it in a unique and lively way! Very cool. I especially like the dark blue green pines, you captured those and their variety with so much vigor and got the shapes dancing around in a good contrast to each other.

It's very easy to just repeat pines, they're one of the things that are easy to paint the symbol instead of what you see. When you got all that variety into them it breaks up that tendency.

Shirl Parker
02-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Thanks for your comments Robert. Makes me feel a little better.

Scarefishcrow
02-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the information Shirl. I was curious because I got some samples of their "Premium Pastel Surface" which comes on Gatorboard, Hardboard, and what appears to be WC paper.

Did you acquire this recently or is it older?

BTW, I cannot ever get my scanner to seem to do justice to paintings.

Shirl Parker
02-10-2009, 11:14 PM
I got the Richeson sanded paper as a part of a sample set directly from Richeson. $40ish for a pack of 12 sheets of the sanded, some other stuff. Very much like this link but less money and two pieces of Unison pastel. http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=105900/366.0

I'll probably stick with Colorfix from now on. I got some Uart paper, but the jury's not in on that yet.

Scarefishcrow
02-10-2009, 11:34 PM
I got the Richeson sanded paper as a part of a sample set directly from Richeson. $40ish for a pack of 12 sheets of the sanded, some other stuff. Very much like this link but less money and two pieces of Unison pastel. http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=105900/366.0

I'll probably stick with Colorfix from now on. I got some Uart paper, but the jury's not in on that yet.

Thanks, Shirl. Looks like what I have.

Bill

Pat Isaac
02-11-2009, 07:46 AM
I think you have the essence of the image also. I tried that paper and didn't really like it as it ate my OPs.....:eek:

Pat

robertsloan2
02-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Good to know. I love the Colourfix product. I'll probably sample all of these eventually but they may migrate over into the soft pastels supplies once they do.

truck driver
02-12-2009, 03:52 PM
umm bill... wheres the blue flower? i've done been to LA and back.. and no blue flower... hrmm

RG

oh yes 50 year old lost in woods lookin for a safe place.. rescue people where thinking 25 mile radius in and hour 50 mile radius in two hours.

oh never mind how I would know what they where thinking you dont wanna go there..

RG

eyepaint
02-12-2009, 04:48 PM
umm bill... wheres the blue flower? i've done been to LA and back.. and no blue flower... hrmm

RG

See, Bill? RG wants to see your blue flower, too. This is a short month - you better get cracking! :)

robertsloan2
02-12-2009, 05:53 PM
I too would like to see your blue flower, Bill. It won't bite. Honest. Besides, your Sennelier set has lots and lots of blues in it. I drool at that big set and look at that long row of blues and think Blue Flowers...

aolaranora
02-12-2009, 07:50 PM
I took the pink flower for my brief sketch. Nothing fancy, if I would take a time to paint it correct and beautifull (as Pat does) it would take at list a month or even much more. But I had fun with it and I like how flower bud turned out.
Tatiana

eyepaint
02-12-2009, 09:08 PM
Stunning flower, Tatiana, and I'm so glad you joined us. The little bud and the greenery behind the petals really helps this pop.

eyepaint
02-12-2009, 09:09 PM
I too would like to see your blue flower, Bill. It won't bite. Honest. Besides, your Sennelier set has lots and lots of blues in it. I drool at that big set and look at that long row of blues and think Blue Flowers...

Tap .... tap .... tap .... where's Bill? .... :) :) :)

truck driver
02-12-2009, 09:27 PM
I gotta work tommorrow.. otherwise I would say something about getting a blue flower done....

RG

robertsloan2
02-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Tatiana, your dahlia sketch is excellent. I love what you did with the bud and the elegant way you caught the little petals in the center. You've given me an idea on how to handle it too. I might try it.

aolaranora
02-12-2009, 11:54 PM
Thank You, guys! I'm glad you like it, sort of looking like mandala to me! :angel:

Tatiana

Pat Isaac
02-13-2009, 07:31 AM
Nice sketch of the flower Tatiana and having fun is important.
Bill is away at an art exhibit....the blue flower will appear.....:rolleyes:

Pat

Scarefishcrow
02-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Nice sketch of the flower Tatiana and having fun is important.
Bill is away at an art exhibit....the blue flower will appear.....:rolleyes:

Pat

It's coming, it's coming!! I'm still not done with my Jan challenges!!!! Falling behind! (Sounds like a physical ailment doesn't it??:eek: )

Bill

robertsloan2
02-17-2009, 11:54 AM
It's coming, it's coming!! I'm still not done with my Jan challenges!!!! Falling behind! (Sounds like a physical ailment doesn't it??:eek: )

Bill

LOL -- now you're sounding like me. I'm trying to catch up on January classwork in Soft Pastels (and getting somewhere with that) while getting fascinated with this challenge and thinking of doing the dahlia. Good thing it's okay to keep going after the month it's listed!

Looking forward to seeing your January challenge progress and the blue flower -- the blue flower's pretty easy though, might be a good warmup for that magnificent painting on the Volga.

Scarefishcrow
02-17-2009, 03:18 PM
LOL -- now you're sounding like me. I'm trying to catch up on January classwork in Soft Pastels (and getting somewhere with that) while getting fascinated with this challenge and thinking of doing the dahlia. Good thing it's okay to keep going after the month it's listed!

Looking forward to seeing your January challenge progress and the blue flower -- the blue flower's pretty easy though, might be a good warmup for that magnificent painting on the Volga.

I'm waiting on my figure drawing books from Jerry's to finish the girl. Still have the light house to complete. Cleaning up my studio. Also got snarled in by a great novel that was 1000 pages ppb small type by Ken Follett called Pillars of the Earth and couldn't stop. Read it in about 4 days which is very fast for me. Set in Medieval England against the historic backdrop of the civil war for the succession after Henry I dies and is filled with intrigue, catastrophy, centers around a master builder's family and his dream of building beautiful cathedrals. Plus lots of nasties, trickery and doublecross and cross doublecross, vengance, revenge, irony and redemption.

Pat Isaac
02-17-2009, 04:14 PM
Well. I started the Jan challenge also and it is half done....sigh not sure when I will get back to it.
That is one of my favorite books, Bill. Just magnificent. There is now a sequel out which I have started..World Without End. Equally as long.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
02-23-2009, 03:41 PM
Well. I started the Jan challenge also and it is half done....sigh not sure when I will get back to it.
That is one of my favorite books, Bill. Just magnificent. There is now a sequel out which I have started..World Without End. Equally as long.

Pat

Wow. Thanks for telling me. I am the type of reader that if the first few pages doesn't snag me, then it begins to look bleak. My FIL gave me this after he read it and when he got it he thought it would take forever to read but he couldn't put it down. I particularly enjoyed it as I am somewhat of an Anglophile and have read extensively on British and European history of that period and found that knowlege of the backdrop to the story made it really come alive.

oldrockchick
02-24-2009, 09:40 PM
Ah, i couldn't see a Feb challenge so I did the January on lol Just did it tonight.

This one is on a different forum section.

It dsays there are 3 pictures to chhose from but I only see the flower and the people. What is the other one please? It doesnt' show up for me on that post for some reason.

I'll have a go at it.

My first effort is on the Jan one, but oddly it appears on 2 forum sections and not this one.

I like to play hide and seek :P

eyepaint
02-24-2009, 09:57 PM
Ah, i couldn't see a Feb challenge so I did the January on lol Just did it tonight.

This one is on a different forum section.

It dsays there are 3 pictures to chhose from but I only see the flower and the people. What is the other one please? It doesnt' show up for me on that post for some reason.

I'll have a go at it.

My first effort is on the Jan one, but oddly it appears on 2 forum sections and not this one.

I like to play hide and seek :P

Hi there,

Please join us. Sorry that it wasn't easy to find this project. The third photo is a mountain scene in Alaska. It was posted in the same post (post 1 (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7557716&postcount=1) ) as the flowers and the people. I'll include it again, here. If it doesn't appear, please give the flowers or the people a try? Looking forward to your piece :)

Mountain near Seward, Alaska:

Larger version is available in the Reference Image Library. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=79074&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=96240)

Cheers,

oldrockchick
02-24-2009, 10:16 PM
Hi there,

Please join us. Sorry that it wasn't easy to find this project. The third photo is a mountain scene in Alaska. It was posted in the same post (post 1 (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7557716&postcount=1) ) as the flowers and the people. I'll include it again, here. If it doesn't appear, please give the flowers or the people a try? Looking forward to your piece :)

Mountain near Seward, Alaska:

Larger version is available in the Reference Image Library. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=79074&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=96240)

Cheers,

Oooh I see it in the RL now.... it's HUGE lol maybe that is why it didn't show up.

I'll have a go at that tomorrow.

Need to go to bed I only just finished January's challenge. ( I just posted my version of the lighthouse)

Oh and as it appears someone likes blue flowers I will have to find the photos I took of my petunias from last summer :D for him.

02-25-2009, 05:58 AM
Everyones is AMAZING...:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Here is mine so far, will finish tonight!!!!:thumbsup: (I hope!:p )

This is the watercolour underpainting, then I applied a coat of colourfix clear primer over that... it's 15x11.5" on Archers 300gsm watercolour paper

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2009/89438-mountains_feb_op_2009_p1.jpg

This is with the sky and mountain finished, now to do the rest....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2009/89438-mountains_feb_op_2009_p2.jpg

this is the part I hate.... the forground!!!!!:eek:

Pat Isaac
02-25-2009, 09:25 AM
Nice start Stacey....I like the waterclor underpainting.

Pat

oldrockchick
02-25-2009, 10:57 AM
Hio, I decided to do the lovely mountain.

I noticed a few potential difficulties I may have to deal with. One the close tonal values. Not much contrast. That ominous misty cloud... Water .... eek! Foliage! and fine pebbles. All a huge challenge. Lots of different textures. So I'm going for it.

Usually I just dive in with no underpainting etc, but coloured paper and layer the OPS neat.

This time in order to set a background for some tonal contrasts I decided to do a series of washes in a contrast of warm and cool colours.

I scribbled on some loose areas then washed them with a very soft brush and some Artists OWS.

i can build up layers on top of this.

Here we go for the start......http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2009/179312-WC_OP_Feb_09_Alaskan_Mountain_1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2009/179312-WC_OP_Feb_09_Alaskan_Mountain_2.jpg

I doubt I'll do any of the stages in between as I have to reshuffle everythign on my desk to get to the scanner... although i might if I tidy up before I go out, post where I'm at, otherwise it will be the finished image.

eyepaint
02-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Stacey - your underpainting is so lively. Great start with the OPs and I can't wait to see the finish :)

oldrock - glad you are joining us. Interesting marks for your underpainting. I really like the rawness of the marks before they were blended :) Can't wait to see the finish :)

Cheers,

robertsloan2
02-25-2009, 01:11 PM
Stacey, your underpainting is gorgeous. I love doing that with the clear Colourfx primer. Good start on the background, on with the tough part!

oldrock, glad to meet you! I liked the loose sketch you did to create the wash. I'm trying to loosen up sometimes and I might try that approach next time I do anything with a wash. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

oldrockchick
02-25-2009, 01:56 PM
Well I got this far but I'm going out with my son to a music jam tonight so I'm stopping to clean up.

I started to layer the first coats on the mountain and a rough block in for the stream and positioned the trees.

Now, I'm noticing that my stream seems to be going uphill on the RHS. Also this piece has proved challenging to my limited and cheap OP collection. Greens always look way too bright and unnatural and I am limited for choice. I have tried to grey them down but I dont' have many neutral colours and I'm deficient in darks too.

This is proving to be a very challenging piece for me. I'm having to work differently than I usually do.

It has also made me go look at suppliers to price up new pastels :P

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2009/179312-WC_OP_Feb_09_Alaskan_Mountain_3.jpg

I'll perhaps do some more when I get home from the pub tonight. :lol:

robertsloan2
02-25-2009, 02:35 PM
You could try muting greens with complements, that always comes out jazzy. Especially muted complements like a red brown or slightly leaning complements like red violet or red orange. There are lots of different effects and ways to mute greens, when I got my 12 color set of Neopastels it was possible to mix anythng I wanted -- but those mix better in multi-mixes than a lot of the cheap ones.

Pat Isaac
02-25-2009, 03:03 PM
This is working up well, oldrock. I like your wash underpainting. I often do that and find it helps a great deal in figuring out where I am going with the painting.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
02-25-2009, 04:22 PM
ORC and Stacey,

Great starts.

:eek: EP, the month is running out!!!! Where did the time go??

Bill

eshokler
02-25-2009, 04:39 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2009/174739-DSCN0676.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2009/174739-DSCN0679.JPG Hi - back for the Feb. challenge. I did both the mountain and flower scenes. I belong to to an artist roundtable that meets weekly for 2 - 3 hours.I usually focus on oil pastels during the cooler months here in NC. I really like seeing all of your OP work - I am the only one in our group using OP.

Really enjoyed working on both pieces especially the mountain scene and I did it in a respectable amount of time (by my standards). The flowers were another story. That pink flower drove me NUTS! It took me way to long to get to where you see it and it still isn't "right"... I hate it. I'd like to cut it out and save the rest which I do like very much.

Thanks for your honest critiques!!

The pieces were done on masonit with2 coats of gesso. The mountain scene was done with all sennelier OP. The flowers were done with Cray - pas specialist and neopastel OP's.

Pat Isaac
02-25-2009, 04:44 PM
Welcome back, but somehow your images are not here.

Pat

eshokler
02-25-2009, 04:49 PM
I just edited the original email and the pics are now there.

robertsloan2
02-25-2009, 05:53 PM
Both of your paintings are gorgeous. Don't cut out the flower on your floral one. You managed to change what kind of flower it is, but it looks good. You simplified the petals and reduced their number, also the number of layers of them. I may have to try the dang dahlia at some point anyway even if it's miserably challenging -- got only four days left in the month.

Your landscape is spectacular. I love the dark rocks in the foreground, you gave it a gorgeous interpretation that's so dramatic. The bright little highlights give it a beautiful texture.

Pat Isaac
02-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Really nice interpretation of these 2 images. I like you use of sgraffito.

Pay

Scarefishcrow
02-25-2009, 06:58 PM
Welcome back and glad you could participate in the challenge. Both your works are well done and I agree that you shouldn't worry about whether the flower looks exactly like the Ref Img (RI), that's where the interpretation comes in.

I think it is FANTASTIC you have a group that gets together and paints. For many of us that is what really attracts us to this community, to get that sense of interaction.

Really look forward to more work from you.:clap:

Toshiko Tanimoto
02-26-2009, 07:28 AM
I've discovered this wonderful thread!:clap:
I challenged this flower!I couldn't resist it---so splender is it.
I didn't paint realistic.I've been feeling myself like child while painting.
It's just wonderful time---about 40min.Thank you nice reference image!
Using red colored paper,9.212inch,Craypas.

http://wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-feb-2009/171954-wc02-19.jpg

eyepaint
02-26-2009, 11:35 AM
olrock - your comment about checking the prices on new pastels makes me grin :) It's an addiction we have :) Love how you are progressing on this. So cool to "watch" another artist work.

Bill - one thing you are great at is PROCRASTINATION!! Did you even try ONE of my photos? I just browsed the entire thread and it appears that you did not :(

eshokler - LOVE THESE!! Love the squiggle marks in the mountain scene. Love how the flowers burst out of the border on the picture.

Tosh - Welcome to the project! So glad you found us and I'm delighted to hear that you are having child-like joy creating with your OPs :) Love your pinky flower!!! So cool that you used a bright pink support, and there are parts that peek through the OP :)

Ok, guys, two days left in the month. Who's gonna paint just ONE MORE REF?? Pat? Bill? :)

Cheers,

Pat Isaac
02-26-2009, 02:07 PM
Nice bright painting, Tosh. The red paper works well for you and I like your loose painterly feel.

Pat

robertsloan2
02-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Toshi, that is wonderful! Your exuberant joy flows through this flower painting so bright it made me smile. Your playful delight in the process zings in the colors and textures. It has a beautiful richness to it and lively lines. You captured the dahlia so well too -- like a child playing with an adult's skills, a perfect balance.

Scarefishcrow
02-26-2009, 08:08 PM
Bill - one thing you are great at is PROCRASTINATION!! Did you even try ONE of my photos? I just browsed the entire thread and it appears that you did not :(

Cheers,

Trying and posting are two different things. I tried two of them. I just haven't done well enough to post them!!

Bill

Pat Isaac
02-26-2009, 08:19 PM
:eek: I'll never make it EP, life has thrown me a couple of curves of late... will this do???:heart: :heart: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Feb-2009/35760-Heavenly_Blues.jpg

Pat

eyepaint
02-26-2009, 08:32 PM
Bill - please share them, even if you've only got the start of them?

Pat - lovely flowers - thank you - and they're blue, too :) :) :)

Scarefishcrow
02-26-2009, 08:33 PM
Pat,

They're very lovely.

Now you put me under even MORE pressure.

Will no one rid me of this troublesome blue flower??

Ooops. Slipped into my Henry II mode for a second. Don't touch the fower, fellows, just kidding around!

Bill

oldrockchick
02-26-2009, 08:49 PM
Here is my finished piece for this month.

Various student grade OPs with Sennelier #1 White and #123 Blue irridescent
A4 size on W & N 'Tints, Cool grey
Underpainted with OPs loosely applied and then gently brished with Artists OWS.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Feb-2009/179312-WC_OP_Feb_09_Alaskan_Mountain_4_-_finished.jpg

I found this challenging. I am not good at water, and the original ref pic had little tonal contrast and LOT of green lol. Also the cloud over the mountain. Getting the flow shape of the river and the banks were tricky.

I did the January one before this, of the lighthouse, and posted it on the January challenge thread.

Can't wait for March challenge!!!!

eyepaint
02-26-2009, 08:55 PM
oldrock - great job! Thanks so much for joining in and wrapping up the Feb project. :)

Scarefishcrow
02-26-2009, 09:44 PM
ORC, Great job with the mountain stream! Have to take a look at your lighthouse.

oldrock - great job! Thanks so much for joining in and wrapping up the Feb project. :)

I'll have you know that Feb is not yet OVER, EP. Now you've done it. Now I'm mad:evil: . One blue flower coming up................soon!

Bill

truck driver
02-27-2009, 03:05 PM
Looks around for the blue flower...

oh no blue flower... been to L.a. and back twice, and fresno and back once.. and still no blue flower.. whats going on Bill? this is easy senneliers.. Wallis sanded get it done and over with.. it will look good..

RG

Scarefishcrow
02-27-2009, 04:22 PM
Looks around for the blue flower...

oh no blue flower... been to L.a. and back twice, and fresno and back once.. and still no blue flower.. whats going on Bill? this is easy senneliers.. Wallis sanded get it done and over with.. it will look good..

RG

I think you are right. This is a monkey that is not going to get off my back until I do it!

Sigh!

Thanks, RG.

Bill

Pat Isaac
02-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Great finish, ORC. I really like the water and the river banks.

Pat

robertsloan2
02-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Oldrockchick, for someone who's not good at water you made it look so fast and turbulent! I love it. Very clean and natural. Wonderful finish to a beautiful landscape. That's sort of like Pat saying her studio's messy when it's cleaner than mine.

Pat, your blue flowers are so beautiful!

I don't know if I'll try either of them again, if I do it'll probably only be a loose sketch or something. They are glorious references though.

Bill, I can't wait to see your last minute blue flower!

eshokler
02-27-2009, 06:13 PM
To all who gave me such terrific feedback - thank you! Eyepaint - your faces done earlier in the month blew me away; it is amazing how you managed such remarkabe stylization with just 8 colours.I rug hook and do woodcut of faces and because of these mediums I can't get detailed.

Pat - your blue flowers are wonderful ; luscious is really better description.

oldrockchick
02-27-2009, 06:43 PM
Thank you all for you kind and lovely comments. It is encouraging. This isnt' my main medium but the more I do of it the more I like it.
I am honoured to have positive feedback from such a high calibre of artists as you guys on here.

I can't wait for the next challenge. I'm really getting into these. I often get the OPs out in the evening and sit wondering what to work on. It's good to be 'given' a project. If I choose soemthing myself, it is not always challenging.

I am definatley going to set some cash aside to buy some better OPs than the cheap ones I have been using.

Scarefishcrow
02-27-2009, 06:53 PM
Thank you all for you kind and lovely comments. It is encouraging. This isnt' my main medium but the more I do of it the more I like it.
I am honoured to have positive feedback from such a high calibre of artists as you guys on here.

I can't wait for the next challenge. I'm really getting into these. I often get the OPs out in the evening and sit wondering what to work on. It's good to be 'given' a project. If I choose soemthing myself, it is not always challenging.

I am definatley going to set some cash aside to buy some better OPs than the cheap ones I have been using.

ORC, I would strongly suggest you try to get samples of as many different types as you can and see which ones you feel most comfortable using. Sometimes the softest ones do not work well if you tend to have a heavy hand in application and vice versa. Each brand is abit different.

oldrockchick
02-27-2009, 07:06 PM
ORC, I would strongly suggest you try to get samples of as many different types as you can and see which ones you feel most comfortable using. Sometimes the softest ones do not work well if you tend to have a heavy hand in application and vice versa. Each brand is abit different.

The problem is that most of the good ones come in expensive sets. There aren't many available here we can get in singles to try. Havent' seen Holbein at all over here. In fact even Jacksons, a good supplier has very few OPs.

http://www.jacksonsart.co.uk/wildcardsearch.php?id=reallywild&searchterm=oil%20pastels&mixedsearch=cheese&searchterm1=cheese&custorstaff=customer&searchdetermine=anyorder&searchterm1=cheese&route=fp&toot=

That is about it....

I do like sennelier though, they are softer than my others, but I think would compliment them.

What do you know about Cretacolour?

Scarefishcrow
02-27-2009, 07:33 PM
The problem is that most of the good ones come in expensive sets. There aren't many available here we can get in singles to try. Havent' seen Holbein at all over here. In fact even Jacksons, a good supplier has very few OPs.

http://www.jacksonsart.co.uk/wildcardsearch.php?id=reallywild&searchterm=oil%20pastels&mixedsearch=cheese&searchterm1=cheese&custorstaff=customer&searchdetermine=anyorder&searchterm1=cheese&route=fp&toot=

That is about it....

I do like sennelier though, they are softer than my others, but I think would compliment them.

What do you know about Cretacolour?

Cretacolor Aqauastics are similar to Caran d'Aches (CD) Neocolor II's and are watersoluble but can be applied dry as well. They should probably go UNDER any OP layers.

CD NeoPastels are, IMHO, a good compromise between firmness and creamy texture. If you call suppliers they will sometemes provide samples for you to try.

Yes, unfortunately art is not a cheap hobby! I understand now why most of those old artists were "starving" and often deciding between food or materials.

Bill

oldrockchick
02-27-2009, 08:07 PM
Thanks Bill.
I've just been looking at robertsolans OP website. interesting info there including a list of OPs. Unfortunatley 90% are not available in the UK. i checked my most diverse supplier and they dont' have most of them.

I am tempted to buy a Sennelier portrait set, which I can use over the top of my exisitng harder ones. I can also get a few of the Daler-Rowney artists ones in the colours I most need. OPs are not popular here in the UK so it's hard to get good artists quality. There are loads of student and 'kids' ones in toy shops and stationary stores. Some are ok, but no idea on longevity.

If I start to do any masterpieces in this medium I'll probably have to import ones from the US lol.

eyepaint
02-27-2009, 09:14 PM
eshokler - thank you :) Do you have a link to photos of your woodcut or rug hook pieces?

Oldrock - regarding OP suppliers in the UK, perhaps you could contact TBond (Tanya), who lives in Ireland and creates stunning little pieces in OP:
http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508526

Cheers,

Scarefishcrow
02-27-2009, 10:01 PM
Well, the larger online vendors do ship internationally from the US.

Bill

Scarefishcrow
02-27-2009, 10:04 PM
EP,

Blue Flower blocked in with oil pencil. Scheduled to touchdown sometime tomorrow before midnight!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

02-28-2009, 09:27 AM
it's midnight here and no blue flower bill!!!!! :lol: :lol: :wink2:

Pat Isaac
02-28-2009, 10:08 AM
Not midnight here yet ....

Pat

Scarefishcrow
02-28-2009, 11:54 AM
Not midnight here yet ....

Pat

Thanks, Pat. You have faith in me, don't you??

Bill

robertsloan2
02-28-2009, 02:03 PM
EP,

Blue Flower blocked in with oil pencil. Scheduled to touchdown sometime tomorrow before midnight!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yay! I'm all excited, Bill! I've anticipated this blue flower for so long and I know it's going to be great.

Don't hesitate to post it even if you get self conscious about it and don't think it's good. I want to see this blue flower. You could even post stages on it, that would be fun. Snap a shot of your sketch or your current progress!

truck driver
02-28-2009, 02:13 PM
umm is it midnight yet ;)

RG

Scarefishcrow
02-28-2009, 03:59 PM
I never saw a bunch of people so obsessed with a silly blue "Petunia"

And I thought I needed help:lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe I should make this like the big ball on New Years at time square and scan it in little tiny fragments and post them every few minutes until the whole image appears suddenly at Midnight:evil: :evil:

Bill

Pat Isaac
02-28-2009, 05:08 PM
That would be cool.....:lol: :lol:
Remember you started it....:evil:

Pat

Shirl Parker
02-28-2009, 05:14 PM
My money says it never shows up!

Pat Isaac
02-28-2009, 05:17 PM
Oh ye of little faith...

Pat

Scarefishcrow
02-28-2009, 08:08 PM
My money says it never shows up!

Gonna be up at midnight to check, Shirl???:evil:

Bill

robertsloan2
02-28-2009, 08:23 PM
What's your time zone, Bill? I might be -- I might stay up for this since what I'm doing today is clearing the deck for next month's art goals.

Scarefishcrow
02-28-2009, 09:06 PM
What's your time zone, Bill? I might be -- I might stay up for this since what I'm doing today is clearing the deck for next month's art goals.

Central

Bill

truck driver
02-28-2009, 09:14 PM
umm I will get in trouble if i stay up tell midnight to look at a blue flower.. Though wife will prlly be up at midnight......... she does that... gets mad at me for it but she does it.. anyway... somebody in oregon will make sure that the whole world knows about it at midnight.. Though I will be nice and give you tell midnight PST...

RG

robertsloan2
02-28-2009, 09:19 PM
All rightie! I'm in Central too, Bill, so yeah, I'll stay up to watch for your flower. This is fun. I was just afraid you were out somewhere on Pacific time where I'd be up late in the morning to watch for it.

RG, that bites. I feel for you. Sometimes it's hard to get common sense across if someone's got a pet idea.

Scarefishcrow
02-28-2009, 11:07 PM
Well, if my friend RG stayed up till midnight PST, then I shall not dither anymore. I won't claim I'm proud of it, (last year's tulips come to mind), but this blue flower monkey on my back has already distracted me from too many tasks and I have to simply admit FLORALS ARE DEFINITELY OUT OF MY COMFORT ZONE!

You asked for it, nay, you demanded it! Now you must suffer the awful consequences of having to GAZE UPON IT. Strathmore Cream Pastel Paper using Craypas Specialists. Size, cropped, approx 8 x10, Title: "My Dahlia's Neighbor Has the Blues!"

NOTE: POSTED A FULL 2 HOURS BEFORE THE END OF THE CHALLENGE MONTH! SO SHIRL......:p ; SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!:lol:
Bill:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2009/108067-crop.jpg

robertsloan2
02-28-2009, 11:12 PM
Bill, that is freaking beautiful!!!! I love the title -- and the style you used is definitely jazzy. It's loose and it's got rhythm. It's got beautiful shape and color, it's got this feel to it like it does belong on some jazz club's color handout thing.

Very cool. You have the throat of the petunia as a powerful focal point and its three dimensional depth is well established even with everything being that loose. Fantastic, Bill. WELL worth waiting for. Blue Flower is through, every bit as cool as I hoped and more. Now you can bound onward to Yellow Puppy! You have a whole month for Yellow Puppy.

I think that sunset in pink and blue is going to be easy, don't know how you feel about it but its colors are such a perfect range that I know I'll have fun. Heck, most of them are in your blue flower.

And if I get tired, I can go to bed instead of waiting till midnight. It's great!

truck driver
02-28-2009, 11:20 PM
Actually bro, It looks good. Nice and loose. But still shows the qualities that make that flower.. Good work...

RG

P.S. It beats the heck outta the tulips last year..

robertsloan2
02-28-2009, 11:24 PM
Besides, Bill, you can get back at me next month. Canines are out of my comfort zone. Watch a fat yellow puppy turn into a small deformed lop-eared kitten...

Shirl Parker
02-28-2009, 11:31 PM
I thought my saying that might be enough to get some action :evil: :evil: :evil:

And good job too. Well done.

Scarefishcrow
02-28-2009, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the compliments, RG and Robert. Actually, some last minute creative cropping helped rescue it from the "tulip syndrome".

I still say flowers are HARD. So many little curves and pieces and parts!

Thanks for staying up RG, now you can sleep well! Looking forward to more water colors.

Robert, I think the boat is a definite go for me. Already cropped it to new dimensions. Still have to finish:

Girl by water
Lighthous
Owl
Apples and Silk
and about 3 other paintings I've started but not finished.
EGAD. I thought you were supposed to have more time when you were retired!!!!

Bill:clap: :clap: :clap:

Scarefishcrow
02-28-2009, 11:42 PM
I thought my saying that might be enough to get some action :evil: :evil: :evil:

And good job too. Well done.

You mean I fell for that corny Reverse Psychology stuff??? I take it that means the money is gonna take longer to get than your Jerry's credit????:lol:

Thanks for the motivation and compliments.

eyepaint
03-01-2009, 01:01 AM
Bill - Hooray you did it :) You used a solvent? Some parts are soooo smoooth :)

Cheers,

Scarefishcrow
03-01-2009, 09:56 AM
Bill - Hooray you did it :) You used a solvent? Some parts are soooo smoooth :)

Cheers,

No solvent, just my pudgy fingers! Final strokes were just gentle "swooshes" with light color to reinforce the feeling of the curving form.

Bill:clap:

Pat Isaac
03-01-2009, 11:03 AM
Great job, Bill. Definitely a petunia and I like the form of the petals....:thumbsup:

Was there ever any doubt...:lol: :evil:

Pat

Scarefishcrow
03-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Great job, Bill. Definitely a petunia and I like the form of the petals....:thumbsup:

Was there ever any doubt...:lol: :evil:

Pat

Thanks, Pat.

Doubt? MOI????? :rolleyes: :D :smug:

Just giving everyone something to look forward to!!:angel: :angel:

Bill:wink2: