PDA

View Full Version : More IAPS news

Maggie P
01-28-2009, 10:09 PM
Just thought I'd share some more news about the upcoming (May, 2009) convention of the International Association of Pastel Societies.

At past conventions we've always had a keynote speaker at the banquet. This year, Isabel Roche, the current head of Roche Pastels, will present a short film depicting how these pastels have been handmade with techniques dating back to the 18th century. It's always fun to learn more about how our beautiful pastel sticks are made, and this promises to be very interesting.

For those of you who've attended the banquet in the past and then had to drag yourselves, bleary-eyed, to a class the next morning, you'll be pleased to know we've been working on ways to end the evening earlier. We'll be showing a slide show of images from previous conventions while you're all still enjoying dinner. And we've moved the merchandise raffle to the trade show room and scheduled it for noon on Sunday, still giving people time to pick up their winnings Sunday afternoon.

If you want to attend the banquet, you should sign up in advance, since tickets are very limited by the time we all get there. The best thing is to order your banquet tickets at the time you register. If you have already registered and want to add banquet tickets, send an email to Susan Webster at [email protected] telling her the number of tickets, whether they are for beef, salmon or vegetarian meals, and she will add it to your registration. If you paid by credit card she will charge it to the same card, if you paid by check you will need to send her a check for $49 per banquet ticket.

The registration form is available at www.pastelinternational.com and if you have questions I'm always glad to put on my IAPS VP hat and try to help!

Can't wait to see you all there :)

Deborah Secor
02-02-2009, 01:31 PM
We appreciate you putting on your VP hat, Maggie. That video from Isabel Roche sounds wonderful! I mean, those pastels are just legendary.

I, for one, appreciate the fact that the board is working to make the banquet a bit shorter, too. I've had to slip out a little early in the past (bet I'm not the only one :wink2: ) because I'm just not a late-night person, and driving all the way home alone at night can be hard. That's one of the disadvantages to living in the city and not staying in the hotel!

I attended a banquet in the same hotel not too long ago and I have to say the staff did a great job of preparing a really delicious meal and serving it in a timely fashion, too, so I suspect this banquet will be equally good. It's my favorite hotel in ABQ....

Deborah

Gigibrooke
02-06-2009, 11:00 PM
I signed up for the banquet with my registration and looking forward to it.
The video about the Roche pastels sounds great. A lot of history there.

I would appreciate the evening not being too late also.
Thanks for all your hard work for this event.
Marilyn

MChesleyJohnson
02-07-2009, 09:48 AM
See everyone there! But alas, I won't be at the banquet....

Liz H-S
02-11-2009, 07:08 PM
The Roche pastels are fabulous and Isabel is delightful, looking forward to her presentation. The Hotel Albuquerque looks wonderful and especially after your endorsement, Deborah, I am really looking forward to staying there. I can't wait!