PDA

View Full Version : Grey QH -- WIP in Pencil

Night Horse Studio
01-23-2009, 08:34 PM
Hey gang :wave:. I promised to do this one in both watercolor and pencil, so now that the watercolor is finished, I thought I'd post it. This is still pretty rough...there is ALOT to be fixed on the nose, among other areas. There is also alot of detail under the eye and such to be put in yet.

I've been slacking off for the last couple of days, so I thought if I posted this, it would get me in gear.

Thanks for looking.

Steph

sati
01-23-2009, 08:54 PM
I loved the watercolor version, but this is shaping up to be even better. Great job so far.

Linda

Hoofnpaw
01-23-2009, 09:31 PM
Looking great Steph!

Sean

yorkhorse
01-23-2009, 10:09 PM
Fabulous ear and eye! And the forelock actually looks like I could stick my hand under it. Wow.

moodymand
01-25-2009, 02:24 PM
haha I don't think I could attempt the same drawing twice, not even in different media!
loving this one already. interesting that you start in the same section as you did the watercolour. are you by any chance left handed? :D

Night Horse Studio
01-25-2009, 10:19 PM
Thank you Linda, Sean, Yorkhorse and Amanda! I appreciate it.

Amanda, all I can say is doing it in two different media sure puts a different spin on it. You can really get away with the dark shadows in watercolor, but I'm not so sure you can in pencil. I'm really going to have some adjusting to do. And you guessed it, I'm left handed. I always start with the eye, and then I got into the habit of skipping everywhere. I wish I could do the whole thing at once, but that doesn't work for me. I have to do it in sections and then bring the whole thing together.

Update for sure tomorrow.

Steph

Hoofnpaw
01-25-2009, 11:21 PM
LOL---that is cool that you are are a lefty...I should have guessed! Me, I like to save the eye for last....like dessert!

Sean

moodymand
01-26-2009, 09:41 AM
I think I know what you mean, about the dark shadows. I guess you enhance different details in different ways depending on the media, which might result in 2 fairly different pictures!

Sean - I always save the eye til last, too! It's the best bit! I've found very few artists who do the same, most seem to do the eyes first...

Kathrin G.
01-29-2009, 08:58 AM
You are off to great here and I sure will be watching you work.
Love the depth in the ear :thumbsup:

PatrickHedges
01-29-2009, 07:55 PM
This is a great start. Do you ever do anything bad like me? :lol:

jody007
01-30-2009, 08:55 AM
This is looking beautiful! I am watching you work.
Jody

Bryarpatch
01-30-2009, 11:20 AM
This looks fantastic so far!

Night Horse Studio
01-31-2009, 05:46 AM
Thanks Sean, Amanda, Kathrin, Patrick, Jody and Bryarpatch! I appreciate it.

Sean, when I was little, my grandparents and mom tried to correct me when using my left hand...they would always put the pencil in my right. But I would always change it back to my left, they got tired of trying to correct that and just let it go. I've tried writing with my right hand, and it's a no go, lol.

Amanda, it's definitely coming along differently than the watercolor, reason being I can put in more detail, and I can put in the subtler details. I'm still not sure how the darks are going to come together...I think the darks look better in the watercolor?

Kathrin, I know the artists in the D&S forum like to pull up chairs and bring snacks. Well for this one, I think you better pull up a recliner and bring a months worth of snacks, 'cause this one is going to take awhile :).

Patrick, YOU do anything BAD? Highly unlikely. And yeah, I do mess up frequently...trust me. I now have a drawer for those, and they will never see daylight again :).

Jody and Bryarpatch, feel free to pull up a recliner with Kathrin :).

Well, sorry I didn't post the update when I wanted to...had some changes to make, and I wasn't happy with some of it. Sean helped me pick out a new bit and buckle. I wanted it to be just a little different than the watercolor.

I promise an update today. The bits been changed, and it's also been started. I also started the background with graphite powder, and put in some whiskers on the horse.

Steph

Kathrin G.
01-31-2009, 04:06 PM
Kathrin, I know the artists in the D&S forum like to pull up chairs and bring snacks. Well for this one, I think you better pull up a recliner and bring a months worth of snacks, 'cause this one is going to take awhile :).

not to worry, I always bring the recliner anyway :angel: thanks to my knee injury after that silly foal, I always make sure I am comfy and well stocked up on coffee :D
Take your time, D+S people are well used to waiting :wink2: :p

Night Horse Studio
02-01-2009, 12:45 AM
Kathrin, how many pots of coffee did you go through waiting on this update :lol:? Hopefully not too many.

Sorry I'm late on updating this. The bit is about half-way done, and the nose is not quite done yet either. The background also needs adjusting, especially by the eye. Not quite sure what to do about the background...make it lighter or darker? Right now I think it's competing with the horse.

Suggestions welcome :).

Steph

moodymand
02-01-2009, 08:59 AM
I agree with what you say about the bg competing with him, I can't decide if darker or lighter would be better though! Maybe darker, because then those backlit strands of forelock and the white whiskers will really pop out, if you go lighter they might lose effect against the bg. I do love that whiskery muzzle :D

Sticky Wombat
02-01-2009, 02:40 PM
This is going to be just drop dead gorgeous!!

jody007
02-01-2009, 08:09 PM
I am still watching and loving it!
Jody

Hoofnpaw
02-01-2009, 09:16 PM
Steph!

I just love the detail with all the fine hairs and the wrinkles in the lip! How did you achieve that detail? Fabulous!!! The two most important people in my life are leftys!!! My father (RIP) and my husband! Its funny, my father told similar stories of being punished for being a lefty!

Sean

Tim Taylor
02-01-2009, 11:57 PM
I don't know what I'm more astounded by: A.) That after all that work on the watercolor you would do this again (and beautifully I might add) in pencil or B.) To find out that Sean is a girl! :eek:

Tim

Night Horse Studio
02-03-2009, 12:57 AM
Thanks Amanda, Kerry, Jody, Sean and Tim! I appreciate it :).

Amanda, yeah, I was also thinking darker.

Sean, it was all thanks to my battery eraser. I get it to a very fine point and then go to town. The wrinkles were done with eraser pencils. I definitely couldn't live without those 2 things.

Tim, yep, and she's a great artist!

Update very soon.

Steph

Night Horse Studio
02-03-2009, 02:57 AM
Forgot to add that suggestions for the background are welcome...any thoughts, photoshop manipulations, etc.

Steph

AnnGarlough
02-03-2009, 03:40 AM
This is just stunning, Steph. My question of the day is, how do you sharpen your electric eraser to that fine a line??

palettetalk
02-03-2009, 06:26 PM
Drop dead gorgeous - keep those updates coming!
Cheers,
Suan

sati
02-03-2009, 06:35 PM
This is continuing to shape up beautifully. I'm not sure which way I would go with the bg, but I also lean toward darker. As someone else said, this would accentuate the whiskers.

Linda

PatrickHedges
02-03-2009, 06:51 PM
Sean's a girl?? :eek:

(Hope I kept my previous comments clean :lol: )

Hoofnpaw
02-03-2009, 10:34 PM
OK Tim and Patrick....at the expense of hijacking Steph's thread, I have to ask......1. Who cares what my gender is? Yes Patrick, you have always been "clean commented" LOL and 2. Its not like I kept this a secret! My profile DOES say I am a woman with a man's name....3. "A GIRL?" I think I at least deserve the title of "A WOMAN" at this point in my existence.
Sean

Night Horse Studio
02-03-2009, 11:08 PM
I agree :).

Steph

caballo
02-04-2009, 08:03 AM
I am so looking forward to seeing this finished, till then I shall really enjoy watching it evolve.

As always Steph, your work is exquisite:)

Tim Taylor
02-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Sean,
Stephanie won't mind if we banter while we wait for the next exciting update. Anyway I am a close, personal, internet friend of Steph's. 1.) I always read the profile of people I respond to. You didn't have the picture or the info about being a "WOMAN" with a man's name in there before. If you did then I need to have my eyes checked. 2.) It's just a surprise after you develope a mental image of someone. No problem I won't treat you any differently :) .

Tim

Tim Taylor
02-05-2009, 12:43 AM
I want to sincerely apologize to Sean. I really do try to read people's profiles. Sean assures me that I must not have read hers. The fault is completely mine. :o

Tim

Hoofnpaw
02-05-2009, 10:21 PM
No apology necessary Tim! Really! We all miss things occaionally---after all we are all human! No worries, OK? Just don't treat me any differently now, and I will be a happy camper!

Sean

Teresa's Treasures
02-17-2009, 08:42 AM
What a great piece of work you have done there. Beautiful work

IanArt
02-18-2009, 02:07 AM
Looks great!

Ian

Tim Taylor
02-18-2009, 11:08 PM
I don't know about anyone else but I'm waiting for an update :rolleyes: .

Tim

FaeLynn
02-18-2009, 11:40 PM
lol Tim!
Uhh Steph? I really, really thought I commented on this before, but apparently not. I am blown away by your skill. This is outstanding work.
Now I am having too much trouble deciding which I like better. It's like trying to choose between your kids, you know? Luckily, I don't have to choose, I can love both this one and your watercolor equally as long as I can look at them both from time to time!
Keep the updates coming...

Night Horse Studio
02-25-2009, 04:04 PM
Thank you Teresa, Ian, Tim, and FaeLynn!

Update tonight after I get a little more done, and some stuff straightened out.

Steph

PatrickHedges
02-25-2009, 09:31 PM
Sorry Sean, didn't see this til now. Does it matter that you are a girl (argh!! woman - sorry again)? No of course not. Does it change perceptions? No it shouldn't. Would we treat people differently knowing the sex? Not in this forum I hope. But does it make a difference? Of course it does - in neither a good way or a bad way. It's just a part of who we are and if it doesn't make a difference, why would you have it in your profile in the first place? I'm a guy. I celebrate that (even if I can't see all the colours a woman can see because apparently they see more than us) so to me, it's an important part of who we are. If we really say that knowing whether a person is male or female doesn't change things, then I reckon we are kidding ourselves. The point is, does it change things for the good or bad, or just change things sideways. I'd hope it changes things sideways, neither good nor bad because that part is reserved for the personalities only.

Does any of that make any sense at all? Or did it sound good only in my head? :lol:

Steph, where's the update (just to get it back on thread :lol: )

Night Horse Studio
02-25-2009, 10:24 PM
Well, now that I'm confused a little, lol, here is the update. Not a big one, though. I will post another update tomorrow...hopefully I'll have the bridle almost done after I work on it tonight.

I still have to change the buckle by making it a little bigger, and Sean suggested I tone down the silver a little, so I changed the bridle to plain leather with silver dots.

Let me know what you all think.

Steph

Hoofnpaw
02-25-2009, 10:55 PM
Hey Steph,

I just think you should balance the bit and the buckle---don't get me wrong..I love the silver! Love this BTW!

Sean

amandanator
02-25-2009, 11:05 PM
Steph this is absolutely beautiful! As always!

I think I say that every time I comment on your work. I'm going to have to come up with a different line one of these days! :lol:

Mandy

PatrickHedges
02-26-2009, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the pm Sean :)

Nice update Steph. That put a smile on my face - your work is so good!!

Hoofnpaw
02-26-2009, 10:31 PM
:thumbsup: You are so welcome! Your work totally der=serves a thumbs up!

Sean

Night Horse Studio
03-01-2009, 03:28 PM
Thanks Sean, Mandy and Patrick! I appreciate it.

Sorry there has been no update like I promised. I had some family issues, and haven't had time to work on it until yesterday. There will be an update tonight.

Steph

Night Horse Studio
03-02-2009, 02:28 AM
OK, here is a small update...sorry it's late. The bridle is going slower than expected. I changed the buckle, yet again, and I'm happy with how it turned out. I will try and get the bridle and some other stuff done today, and hopefully get an update it.

Steph

scatdaddy
03-03-2009, 11:59 PM
Superb work, Steph.......I'm in awe!!!!!!!!!

Night Horse Studio
03-14-2009, 01:41 AM
Thanks Jim :). I appreciate it.

Well, at last an update! I must apologize for not keeping eveyone updated. I have worked some on it, but still need to do by the mane, and finish that, the bit still needs work, and touch-ups in various areas.

Let me know what you all think.

Steph

Night Horse Studio
03-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Well, I think the interest was lost in this WIP, so I've come to a decision that I won't post an update to this one unless requested. I will just post the final unless someone would like to see an update.

This will also be the last WIP from me. As for the other WIP's I have started, when those are finished, I will post the final for both.

Steph

scatdaddy
03-15-2009, 05:59 PM
dang Steph......no interest was lost here!!!!!!!!!! I really enjoy watching you build a piece. In fact, I take lessons from them. I'm no where near your ability with details.....the stitching in the headstall being an example. It seems when I try to do detail work of this magnitude, I get so involved that I lose focus on the overall project. You don't have that problem and I'm trying to learn how you do it by watching how you progress. I for one sure do hope you don't pull the plug on this one.

Hoofnpaw
03-15-2009, 07:46 PM
No interest lost here either Steph! Your work is stunning, and I love watching you work!

Sean

moodymand
03-17-2009, 03:30 PM
I always watch WIP threads, I usually just leave commenting til the end, especially if I have already left a comment in the beginning! I was certainly watching this, albeit silently! (Silent awe, since I have no crit or anything else helpful to add lol!)

I think many people here are the same with WIP threads, I know another WC member who has also stopped posting WIP threads because interest seems to tail off... although it probably is not the interest that is dropping, just the comments ;)

Night Horse Studio
07-27-2009, 10:42 PM
Thanks scatdaddy, Sean and Amanda!

Sorry I haven't updated this...didn't realize how long it's been! It's finally finished...but I will post the missed update pics and the final pic.

Comments/critiques welcome, although it's been sprayed and is in the process of getting framed.

Steph

Night Horse Studio
07-27-2009, 10:49 PM
Some detail shots just in case anyone is interested.

KerryOriginals
07-28-2009, 07:12 AM
This came out very, very nice! The detailing is wonderful and it has a good stronge composition! :)

moodymand
07-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Steph, I don't remember if I (or anyone else) asked this before, but how did you achieve the white whiskers over the dark nostril? If I recall you blocked in the nostril before adding the whiskers, just wondering if it was sharpened eraser or masking fluid, or something else. Whenever I use sharpened eraser or a thin edge of a cut-off piece of eraser over a dark shade, it doesn't produce a nice fine resulting line, I find I have to re-erase the line more than once to cut through the graphite. (Probably a better way would be to lightly block in the dark values, then erase through where needed, and save darkening the values right up until later...)

Anyway. This is beautifully done and I'm glad to see the finish, I thought maybe you'd dropped off the earth lol! Or forgotten about this piece. Really enjoyed seeing the progress of this too. :)

amandanator
07-28-2009, 12:11 PM
Wow Steph! The detail on the chain and rope is just outrageous! Beautiful as always -your patience must be extraordinary.

I checked out your updated site - I love the rodeo bulls - very nice.

Mandy

Eilymcc
07-29-2009, 06:58 AM
Beautiful work Steph, this is just fantastic! I really enjoy graphite pieces, you did a great job with this. What type of paper do you use and what grades of graphite?
Super work :)

Night Horse Studio
07-29-2009, 08:52 PM
Thank you Kerry, Amanda, Mandy and eilybaby!

Amanda, I did them with a sharpened battery eraser, which I sharpened on a sandpaper pointer. I've always wanted to try indenting them first, but never did. I may try that out. As for the masking fluid, I've thought about that too, but I read somewhere that it changes the paper texture. But the sharpened battery eraser works well, even through dark graphite.

Mandy, patience was a big thing for me with this one! Sometimes the detail was a little overwhelming. But it was my fault about the detail...I changed the bridle and bit so it had MORE, lol. Glad you like the bulls on my site. I may do more of those this year...there are alot of rodeos around, so I may get some more pics of them to do.

Eilybaby, I used Canson Bristol Vellum...not a big fan of it, I like Strathmore better, but it worked well. I also used 2H and 2B mechanical pencils. I kinda like those more now, but I still like the Derwents too.

Steph

Cerulean Horse
07-30-2009, 10:40 PM
Beautiful, so much detail each time you add more. I actually liked the mystery of not having it all done! It felt creative in a different way - a dynamic tension between so much detail and what can be imagined. But the ending was beautiful & I wasn't disappointed. As a newbie, I know I'd love to see more of your process.

AlaskaBoers
07-31-2009, 12:23 AM
so much detail! looks great, amazing job.

AlaskaBoers
07-31-2009, 12:23 AM
so much detail! looks great, amazing job.

AnnGarlough
07-31-2009, 01:56 AM
Steph, I'm just wandering through the equine Forum ..... I'm an oil painter and colored pencil artist but I admire well done graphite. I had to comment on your exquisite graphite Quarter Horse! Do keep up the great work!

Bryarpatch
08-04-2009, 08:01 AM
This has wonderful realism! Where's my trimmer? Those whiskers need trimmin! LOL The detail is absolutely amazing. I love a painting that I can get all up into and find the tiny details. You are awesome!

Night Horse Studio
08-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Cerulean Horse, Alaska, Ann and BryarPatch...thank you for your kind words! It's much appreciated :)

Steph