PDA

View Full Version : Different monoprint process

Fmalo
08-09-2002, 11:08 PM
I am breaking a rule here since this has been shown twice already, so sue me - or un-post this:

Unnamed desertscape
I had a difficult time deciding where to post this - ended up with Acrylics & Abstract/Contemporary.

Story: Back in Nov, 2001, I participated in an 'Art Walk' here in Tucson. One of the galleries specialized in making what they referred to as monoprints & they told me I could come back in a few days when they were holding a small workshop to actually witness how they processed the work. Of course, having the opportunity to watch a workshop intrigued me, so I attended(free).

The process is as follows: Artist performs rough drawing on newsprint; frame, with silkscreen, hinged to table is raised about 2"; artist can see drawing thru screen & proceeds to apply acrylic paints (all colors at same time, quickly since drying paint becomes a resist & leaving unpainted areas to be background); when artist has finished painting, he/she applies a bead of background color(I used two colors for sky) across one edge of frame; drawing is now removed & frame lowered unto print paper;this bead is drawn across quickly with a squeegee & paint is forced thru screen creating a monoprint.

At end of workshop, gallery owners offered this drooling wannabe a shot at one free monoprint. Needless to say, I jumped at the chance (no time for drawing); in ten minutes of painting & one minute of applying two tone blended bead at top edge - the print was pulled. Size of image 16" x 22"

I was well pleased with the result, hope you like it.

Frank

sassybird
08-10-2002, 06:18 AM
Hey that is pretty cool :D Your piece reminds me of the Arizona/New Mexico area. Do you think you will try to set up your own system for doing this kind of work?

Fmalo
08-10-2002, 09:10 AM
Sassybird,

Thanks for the comments. This was done about 5 months after I moved to Tucson. I had done some plein air watercolors here prior to this attempt & have learned to appreciate the landscape & architecture. I was fortunate that the Gallery allowed me to sit in on the workshop & even try one piece - also, their color selections fit right in to the southwest theme.

The process requires a lot of space & cleanup. I have no space & no desire to do the cleanup at home. The artist who 'pulls' the works has promised me some time this fall & I can't wait to find out if this 'happy accident' could be repeated.

Some artists have told me that this process is quite different than conventional monoprinting. They describe a process whereby one color is done, then the next, etc. I don't believe I could adjust to something like that.

Thanks again

Little Old Lady
08-11-2002, 04:00 PM
Very nice job with an unusual technique. Neither of you descriptions applies to what I consider monotype. What I have done is paint on a plexiglass surface and then pull a print. I can be built up with more applications.
Joann