PDA

View Full Version : Oldies but Goodies-up coming project thread

azulparsnip
01-21-2009, 01:39 PM
Greetings classical buddies :wave:

I will begin a series of project threads in February. The goal is to copy a different classical painting every two weeks.

It would be good, if you are interested in participating, to post some artists you would like to feature in this project. Please post these suggestions HERE, in this thread.

The first thread will be posted in the classical projects forum February 1 thru 14, featuring Jean-Honore Fragonard - Blindman's Bluff

I'm looking forward to seeing you there sometime this year. :)

artbyjune
01-22-2009, 03:34 AM
Hi azul, this will be good for learning about artists and their work.

I'll be back with a few I like later today.

azulparsnip
01-23-2009, 08:00 AM
allrightie then...

artbyjune
01-23-2009, 09:24 AM
In town today, I bought a book on Goya so I am interested in a work by Goya for this project...maybe a self portrait by him.

I saw an exhibition of his work years ago in London. I loved it.

trafford
01-23-2009, 11:04 AM
Goya reminds me of Honore Daumier, 1808-1879. Printmaker, caricaturist, painter and sculptor.

I like Goya and Daumier both.
Practically brought up with them. They were my father's favorite artists.

Meanwhile I'll try the Fragonard, or a portion of the painting......Janet

Lauren F-M
01-26-2009, 09:36 AM
Great idea. Azulparsnip! :thumbsup:

However, a new reference every two weeks -- yikes! :eek:
(we'd have to paint FAST!) :lol:

I also love Goya's work and was lucky enough to see a large original painting of his at a special large travelling exhibition ("The Great Parade: Portrait of the Artist as Clown") here at the National Gallery of Canada in 2004.

The painting is called "The Straw Mannikin" and is quite large, though I can't find in the show's catalogue the exact size or who owns this painting. I'd guess it was about 8 ft. high and 6 ft. across. However, though the imagery is kind of strange (though typically Goya) -- of three lovely woman bouncing a lifesize mannikin up in the air from a blanket they are all holding -- the colours are lovely, so it would be fun to copy, esp. in a larger size. I'll see if I can find a ref. for it online.

I also like Daumier's work a lot, and quite a few of his paintings are fairly monochrome, so wouldn't be that difficult. Also, lots of great drawings!:thumbsup:

Meanwhile, I don't think I'll be doing the Fragonard. Still recuperating from surgery and am also way behind with getting things done around here. :rolleyes:

.... also am studying up so I can start that long-promised Vermeer thread! :thumbsup:

Lauren F-M
01-26-2009, 11:41 AM
I also love Goya's work and was lucky enough to see a large original painting of his at a special large travelling exhibition ("The Great Parade: Portrait of the Artist as Clown") here at the National Gallery of Canada in 2004.

The painting is called "The Straw Mannikin" and is quite large, though I can't find in the show's catalogue the exact size or who owns this painting. I'd guess it was about 8 ft. high and 6 ft. across. However, though the imagery is kind of strange (though typically Goya) -- of three lovely woman bouncing a lifesize mannikin up in the air from a blanket they are all holding -- the colours are lovely, so it would be fun to copy, esp. in a larger size. I'll see if I can find a ref. for it online.

Found it -- hope this link works:
http://www.fotos.org/galeria/showphoto.php/photo/8068/size/big/sort/1

artbyjune
01-27-2009, 12:30 PM
Interesting painting...especially the size. The ones I saw by Goya in London were small. It included the early optimistic colourful works and the dark later pessimistic works. Like day versus night.

Trafford, I also like Daumier!.

Can we pick our own work to copy in the bi-weekly thread? As long as we keep to the artist chosen for the week.

Lauren F-M
01-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Can we pick our own work to copy in the bi-weekly thread? As long as we keep to the artist chosen for the week.

June, I think that is an excellent idea! :clap:
That should suit everyone's interests and expose us all to more work by various artists. And folks can choose to copy any of the works posted or choose something else. :thumbsup:

Wondering though -- is two weeks enough time, or should it be one artist for a month? :confused: I think in the past you have featured an artist for a month, so those who have been participating on this forum will know what works, better than I. :D

artbyjune
01-28-2009, 02:09 AM
Hi Lauren. I think azulparsnip is running this particular project in the main forum project system (and the discussion may be in the classical forum). So the 'rules' will depend on what the project is to cover.

I am not actually clear on this yet.

Have a look at our projects schedule for the classical forum...you may want to add your name for the vermeer project.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=543438

azulparsnip
02-02-2009, 12:56 AM
Hi Lauren, Trafford, and June -
Well , two great artist suggestions -Goya and Daumier will be right in there then. I'll insert them in the list and post it tommorrow.

Of course you can paint any painting you like by the artist. I'll be sticking with the one I post. If you do another do post a copy of it along with yours so we can see your inspiration.

I am keeping a two week schedule because I don't want to get hung up on trying to copy it thoroughly just want to get a toe hold on the painting and move on. Want to stay loose with it.....and have fun. If you want to take the artist you like and hold that for longer that is cool..... or start a thread on that order....that would be awesome.......but mostly just enjoy what you are up to...........I don't really expect you to keep pace with this........I'm challenging myself as well with it.....may sometimes just get a pencil study done......

azulparsnip
02-02-2009, 01:00 AM
I will be posting one reference piece every two weeks to be copied. Posting links and a few comments about the artist.

You are welcome to dig up your own painting of the featured artist to copy, if you like. Please post a copy of it with your piece for us. Better yet post it as you are working on it!

A schedule showing at minimum of the ensuing 4 featured artist will be maintained.

If participants have artist and a certain painting to suggest these will also be posted onto the schedule as soon the participants request is /approved. Remember variety is the spice of art. If you would like to host the thread for the artist you suggest that would be great.

We'll start this friday. I'll post the thread on friday as Oldies & Goodies- Feb 7 thru 20 in the Classical Project Forum. From then on every other friday a new two week thread with a new artist will be posted.

I hope you can drop in from time to time .

I'll post the first 4 artist tommorrow.

Lauren F-M
02-03-2009, 11:10 PM
Okay - Here's the list so far -

Cezanne - 1839- 1906 Italian

Isn't Cezanne French??? :confused:

azulparsnip
02-04-2009, 08:25 AM
aaaah, I read this the first line in Olga's Gallery Biography of Cezanne

" Paul CÚzanne was born into a family of Italian origin in Cesana Forinese. "

http://www.abcgallery.com/C/cezanne/cezanne.html

and assumed that Cesana Forinese was in Italy........So he was born in France but his linage was Italian. I think that is right now.

artbyjune
02-04-2009, 08:41 AM
Yes, I am looking forward to doing a cezanne copy too. I got a book on cezanne last month in the book sale. I didn't know he was of Italian origins either. Always assumed he was a Frenchman, through and through. He was a friend of the writer Zola...I used to love Zola's books when I was in high school.

trafford
02-04-2009, 08:45 AM
Hi, Azul. Is that Japanese art?

I am going to work a little on the Fragonard this week. He falls into my list of great artists I don't care for that much. I decided this year that I would copy paintings or drawings of some of these artists to see if I would like them better if I tried to paint in their style. Sort of a crazy idea:eek:

azulparsnip
02-04-2009, 09:20 AM
Hi Ho June and Janet - Yeah, I can tell Cezanne is one of your faves, June. Am not famaliar with Zola - off I go to google it........

Japan????? yessssssireee, love Japanese stuff.....hard to selected one....maybe insert Japan every month or two :lol:

Janet, you are not off your rocker with that idea. I've tried it and it works wonders. Sometimes I will purposely copy something I feel a vague repugnance for and find myself liking that piece above others that give an immediate reassurance. Grow yourself up, that it does.

azulparsnip
02-04-2009, 09:26 AM
read about 2/3rd of it , gotta go get some work done but look at that Zola's gravestone would ja....

azulparsnip
02-15-2009, 07:48 PM
We are a little over half thru the Fragonard session - drop in if you can
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545537

Here's the current roster of feature artists/country

Jean-Honore Fragonard - French 1732 - 1806

Goya

Daumier

Japan

Modigliani 1884 - 1920 Tuscany

Benjamin Paterssen Swedish 1750-1815

Holbein, Hans the Elder Germany 1460-1524

artbyjune
02-18-2009, 05:14 PM
Hi azul, I will do the Goya, if you like. That's our next one.

Anyway, I could start it but not sure if I'll have time to participate in it with a copy of Goya's work...but I hope so.:wave:

azulparsnip
02-19-2009, 08:20 PM
June - that would be good of you :)

JLiszka
02-20-2009, 03:12 PM
Will you ever do a Botticelli session? I would love to participate in that.

azulparsnip
02-22-2009, 07:39 AM
We'll put it on the list JLisz :)

trafford
02-25-2009, 05:13 PM
Azul, I could do Daumier. When will that start, the 7th of March? There is so much going on I'm getting behind, and I do want to do Goya. Probably will be late with everything. So many interesting challenges.

I have had a lot of Doc appointments lately (just general) but I now see a few clear days ahead to paint like mad and catch up.

Janet :crying:

artbyjune
03-05-2009, 03:38 PM
I'd like to add Marianne Stokes to the list. Because she's a female artist (to balance out gender), and because I saw an exhibition of her work today.

We could also include Chagall. He was mentioned in one of the projects threads.

I am assuming we are studying art in art history and not just academic classical art.

trafford
03-06-2009, 05:50 AM
Didn't know of Marianne Stokes, until I looked her up and recognized a couple of her paintings. She would be great to do, and Chagall of course.

Maybe we could add Eugene Delacroix to the list, I'm re-reading his journal and outside of being a great artist he was involved with George Sand, as an extra gossipy bonus :lol:

I'm also trying to think of more women artists that would fit in here. I know there must be dozens but I've drawn a blank.......Janet

azulparsnip
03-06-2009, 07:01 PM
oh goodie, goodie.....these are wonderful , I am sooo excited...I just love doing this and the two weeks just FLY by.......I'm learning gobs and getting a little something done....I will update the list.....:wave: We don't have to do these in this order if something needs rearranging.

I hope all you lurkers come out and maybe host a thread or post a drawing.....we'd love your company. This week Janet/Trafford is hosting a challenge on Daumier. See you around.

azulparsnip
03-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Jean - Honore Fragonard- Done

Goya - Done

Daumier

Botticelli

Japanese art

Modigliani

Marianne Stokes

Benjamin Paterssen

Cezanne

Chagall

Eugene Delacroix

artbyjune
03-06-2009, 11:03 PM
Here are a couple more female artists: mary Cassat; Berthe Morisot.

azulparsnip
03-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Yes, I was thinking Cassat too. I don't like the way it sounds but women really are discriminated against in the art world.

artbyjune
03-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Yes nearly all the old masters were men..hardly any women artists spring to mind until we get into the 19th and 20 th centuries.

Gwen John (UK);
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwen_John

Rita Angus (NZ)

http://collections.tepapa.govt.nz/exhibitions/RitaAngus/

Of course we could always re-visit Frida Kahlo.;)

I will do a search later for more women so we have a nice balance.

artbyjune
03-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Here are some sites about women artists UK

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/speel/group/femart.htm

and their list

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/speel/group/femlist.htm

and USA women

http://www.askart.com/AskArt/interest/women_artists_1.aspx?id=37

trafford
03-11-2009, 07:43 AM
How about Utrillo's mother, Suzanne Valedon (1865-1938)? Beautiful artist, who led a fascinating life. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzanne_Valadon.

Lauren F-M
03-12-2009, 12:00 AM
I borrowed a book from the public library on the French artist, Elisabeth Vigee Le Brun, who lived from 1755 to 1842. She was very successful, and was for the most part a portrait artist.

In case anyone is interested, the book is called Elisabeth Vigee Le Brun: The Odyssey of an Artist in an Age of Revolution, and is by Gita May, Yale University Press. ISBN: 0-300-10872-9

artbyjune
03-13-2009, 02:01 AM
Here's a lovely Chagall site

http://www.glitzqueen.com/art/Chagall.html

azulparsnip
03-15-2009, 09:11 PM
have been otherwise occupied, lots of links to check out.....

artbyjune
04-08-2009, 01:28 PM
:wave: Hope you don't mind my moving this thread over to the projects...but it seemed more appropriate.:thumbsup:

azulparsnip
04-09-2009, 11:54 PM
Here is the current list with some specific dates posted.
This list is not set in stone. If anyone has any more suggestions I'll be glad to insert them accordingly. Please feel free to host one of these posted artist's if you have a particular interest in him/her. You don't have to have a degree in art history or anything. Just a desire to study, learn and SHARE :D .
Presently we are studying Japanese art. Diane who has studied this area may share with us. Feel free to copy or just do something that has been inspired by the topic/artist.....post it and let us too enjoy your creative mark.
Then April 17-30 Trafford is going to host Maurice Prendergast. I'm gonna go google that guy right now.....hope to see you .

Jean-Honore Fragonard - French 1732 - 1806 -XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Goya XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Daumier XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Botticelli XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Japan April 3 - 16

Maurice Prendergast - April 17-30-- hosted by Trafford

Marianne Stokes - May 1 -14

Modigliani 1884 - 1920 Tuscany--May 15 - 28

Eugene Delacroix

Mary Cassat

Benjamin Paterssen Swedish 1750-1815

Berthe Morisot

Gwen John

Chagall

Rita Angus

Suzanne Valedon

Elizabeth Vigee Le Brun - 1755-1842 (French

gakinme
04-17-2009, 10:47 AM
Robin, I saw a couple threads that are past. Could I still post to them please? I'm looking at Boticelli's and Daumier's work. I only found out about these threads today.

azulparsnip
04-20-2009, 11:28 AM
Hello, Sandra, Yes, double-doublly do post any relevant work you have. We'll be waiting to enjoy it.:)

WildGoose
04-20-2009, 08:57 PM
Azul-

If I'm scanning the dates right, there's a host spot June 12th to 25th.
I'm able to host then, as a pretty heavy-duty course I'm taking soon ends on the 11th...

Would like to do either Rita Angus or Suzanne Valedon. Both appeal, so your call!:)

There's a group of Canadian Painters who joined together in a group as a kind of "open entry" counterpart to the more famous "male only" Group of Seven Painters who influenced Emily Carr.

Their title was The Beaver Hall Group; founded 1920.

Their work is fairly similiar stylistically to that of Rita Angus, albeit Canadian content/perspective but as they are close to being of the same era/generation; they gravitated to some of the same subjects, having some of the same political/social concerns.

Certain members also went beyond the regional landscape painting scope the Group of 7 was so famous for...

Come September, I would be interested in hosting a segment on either or both ( if I can host again a month or so later :D ) primarily Potrait artists

Prudence Hayward ( 1896- 1947 )
&/or
Lilas Torrance Newton ( 1896-1980 )

Can settle those actual 'sign-up' dates better around August's end or so!:wave:

Regards,

Chris/WildGoose

WildGoose
04-20-2009, 11:04 PM
PS-

I hope that Emily Carr is considered "classical " enough ( a Cezanne admirer, she pre-dated the Group of 7 as an artist, but stopped her endeavors for a long hiatus because of family responsibilities...only to be "re-discovered" by self and others in the 1930's...

Would be more than glad to host Em Carr as my 3rd Canadian!

Also interested in 2 German ( women) artists...

I definitely volunteer for..

Kathe Kollwitz ( 1867 - 1945 )- one of my favourite artists, ever!

As a Pacifist and political activist and teacher who went through 2 World Wars, is the creator of powerful and expressive, realistic and technically brilliant art through the mediums of drawing, etching and sculpture.
She did over 100 self-potraits in her time, and, much as in Rembrandt's, one sees honestly her changing fortunes and states of mind.

....can you tell I would LOVE to host Kollwitz?:lol: :clap:

the other is

Paula Mondersohn-Becker ( 1876-1907)

Again, the Fall, the coming Fall...:D

trafford
04-21-2009, 08:13 AM
Oh, Wildgoose, Kathy Kollwitz is also one of my favorites and I'd forgotten all about Paula Mondersohn-Becker, who died so tragically at 31. I have a catalog of her paintings and she did lovely work and died too soon.

I'm not that familiar with the Canadian women artists, but am looking them up. I've always been interested in the plight of some artists that are women, and how they. in many cases, take a back seat to the men....though I remember the painter Grace Hartigan, when asked to be included in a book of women artists, refused...saying: That she was an ARTIST not a woman artist.

I'm so glad that Azul started this thread, each week is new and a challenge and fun....Janet

artbyjune
04-25-2009, 07:07 AM
I will do Marianne Stokes if that's OK with you, Robin.

artbyjune
05-28-2009, 02:53 AM
I think we are seeing classical forum as more 'classic artists' these days. Or maybe 'classy' artists. Mostly art history in practice.:thumbsup:

azulparsnip
07-24-2009, 08:38 AM
SCHEDULE UPDATE -

Jean-Honore Fragonard - French 1732 - 1806 - ######
Goya 888888888888888888888888888888888888888888 to be repeated
Daumier8888888888888888888888888888888888888888 to be repeated
Botticelli##############################
Japan April 3 - 16 8888888888888888888888888888888 to be repeated

Maurice Prendergast - April 17-30-- hosted by Trafford ##

Marianne Stokes - May 1 -14##################

Modigliani 1884 - 1920 Tuscany--May 15 - 28########

Eugene Delacroix#########################

Mary Cassat ###########################

Benjamin Paterssen Swedish 1750-1815 #########

Berthe Morisot 88888888888888888888888888888888888 to be repeated

Paula Modersohn-Beker - hosted by Trafford

Gwen John

Chagall - hosted by Gakinme (Sandra)

Rita Angus - hosted by Wild Goose

Suzanne Valedon

Elizabeth Vigee Le Brun - 1755-1842 (French

The artists marked with 888888888 have been requested for further study.

If you have any artist's to suggest or you would like to host any artist, or like your favorite repeat featured, please let us know. We'd love your participation.

Looking forward to spending time with these new hosts - Gakinme and Wild Goose.

artbyjune
07-25-2009, 02:34 AM
Helen frankenthaler; Henri Rousseau; Nolde; Gauguin; Gabriel Munter; Georigia Okeefe; Frida Kahlo; Paul Delvaux; Jim Dine...

trafford
07-25-2009, 06:13 AM
Alice Neel

azulparsnip
07-30-2009, 03:14 PM
okay - we are moving right along here..:clap:

WildGoose
08-22-2009, 01:51 AM
Hi Azul,
Moving right along is right- !
( plus all things happen at once )!:eek:

Hosting Rita Angus Sept 19- Oct 2
( looking forward to my turn at this much ):D

September 18th is my W Anniversary , Sep 19th -20th is Calgary's annual Art Walk days, and I start my Etching course the 21st!:cool:

2 Requests ( I'd love to host/ as mentioned before ):

Emily Carr and Kathe Kollewicz/ any time period-but,please 2 weeks apart- from Oct 31 to Dec 11th...or 1 of the above in the New Year ( after school starts up again, natch! )

Regards,

Chris/WildGoose

azulparsnip
08-26-2009, 09:18 PM
WildGoose - sounds like you will have alot on your plate. Would it be better to move Rita to a later date? There is no reason she has to come in then.
I will take some time and get the dates and new additions posted soon.

gakinme
08-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Robin, what are the dates I have to put for Marc Chagall?

Sep 1- 15?

I'm so glad you would be repeating the Japanese and Daumier ones too. How do you do it? Change the title of the thread or you are starting a brand new thread? I got so many Japanese pieces I want to do still.

trafford
08-28-2009, 03:36 PM
Sandra, I think it's Sept 4th to 18th, after Gwen John...but I'll let Robin answer. :heart:

azulparsnip
10-22-2009, 09:16 PM
Gauguin....January 8 thru 22

Gabrile Munter ....Jan 22 thru Feb 5

Georgia O'Keefe.....Feb 5 thru Feb 19

Paul Delvaux.... Feb 19 thru March 5
Jim Dine.....March 5 thru March 19
Here's the list update. When we reach the end of the list we will begin revisiting our favorites. At that time we will include Frida Kahlo because it was not that long ago we had a thread on her.

Please let me know if there are artist's you'd like to revisit that need to be included. mmmmmkay

artbyjune
10-24-2009, 05:59 AM
Great list. I am looking forward to them all!! Especially Nolde.

azulparsnip
10-26-2009, 01:05 PM
about half of these artist I'm unaquainted with.....yipppee....that's what this thread is all about.

artbyjune
10-27-2009, 10:26 AM
An artist I came across today...Hundertwasser. Died around 2000. Interesting quirky work.

azulparsnip
10-29-2009, 02:38 PM
I love it - we could do an "after" or " in the vein of" thread on this Hundertwasser (quirky name!)