PDA

View Full Version : Arab Foal-Finished

Hoofnpaw
01-17-2009, 04:34 PM
Hi All, :wave:

This is my first post to our new Equine forum! This beautiful ref came from Cathy (Crias)...thank you! This is Prismas on colored MT pastel paper 9 x12, the toothed side. I have about 2 1/2 hours into this, and have only burnished in a few places, so far. It is my first attempt on colored paper and also first time on Mi Tientes.

Does anyone have a preference to the toothed or the smooth side? It seems difficult to get layers and detail on the toothed side. I am also struggling a little with color application on colored paper. Tips and tricks would be welcomed! Thanks for looking! Sean

Night Horse Studio
01-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Sean, I think it's looking great so far.

I used to use MT, way back in the day, lol, and I couldn't get along with it at all. That's when I discovered Strathmore Artagain...IMO a very good paper. But with MT as I remember, I used to use the smooth side. I don't like to use too many layers with CP, and the toothy side required too many layers to burnish.

The paper color can really affect your pencil colors. If it's not too much trouble, what colors are you using?

Steph

Hoofnpaw
01-17-2009, 09:23 PM
Thanks Steph. It is looking less ugly since I have done some burnishing this evening---the tooth is really tough to knock down though. I'll post an update tomorrow.
Here are the colors I am using: Burnt Ochre, Terra Cotta,Henna,Sienna,Light Umber, Chocolate, Expresso, Dark Brown, Indigo Blue, Black Cherry, Black Grape, Cool Greys , French Greys, warm greys, sand, yellow ochre, ginger root......whew....hope you didn't want to know which ones where? LOL

Sean

Night Horse Studio
01-17-2009, 10:55 PM
Um, Sean, yes, actually I DO want to know which colors went where. Just kidding lol.

I used to use Sand, but it got to be almost too yellow for me under my Burnt Sienna layers. Then I started using beige, and it works well for any color paper.

Makes me want to pull out an old cp piece of mine and finish it. I might very soon since you inspired me!

Steph

artistsoul
01-18-2009, 12:07 AM
Yeah- I really like this so far too! Smooth side only for me! I use MT for my charcoal work and adore the light texture and colours to choose from, but I would highly recommend Stonehenge papers for CP work... this paper is beautiful to work on/with and CP easily layers etc. I use it with charcoal and graphite too.

I have a lot to learn about CP and I find this work inspires me too!

Bryarpatch
01-18-2009, 08:39 AM
Great start! I don't like MT. The lines get on my nerves. LOL I prefer a smooth surface. Go figure. But I don't have any problems building layers. Whatever works!

jody007
01-18-2009, 10:27 AM
awww this is so cute! I am watching.
Jody

Hoofnpaw
01-18-2009, 11:35 AM
Awww you guys...that's so nice of you. :o

So, I do feel I got this out of the totally ugly stage last night. I was able to get enough layers to burnish. I guess I am adjusting to the paper---as it is getting a bit easier to work with. But it really takes alot to knock down the tooth. Quite a change from the strathmore I usually use. The color on the photos is not quite right ---we have had freezing fog here for the last few days, so there is absolutely no natural light in my studio.

Steph--I used some jasmine, sand and cream on the inner front legs.

Thanks for looking in on this!

Sean

Crias
01-18-2009, 12:02 PM
Looking great. I fell in love with this little filly when I photographer her for my neighbor... this girl could move! I saw her a month later and she looked totally different, as she was already starting to gray fairly extensively.

Not to hijack your thread, but a couple more photos of this cute girl and one from the following month where she really changed. She didn't look as nicely put together that folliowing month either, though could just be the way she was growing.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2009/2921-a.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2009/2921-a2.jpg

A month later
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2009/2921-a3.jpg

Bryarpatch
01-18-2009, 12:31 PM
It's amazing how fast they grow and shed their foalie coat. They are so much fun to watch!

Hoofnpaw
01-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Hi ALL!:wave:

I'm calling this little girl done! C and C's welcomed! Sorry the colors seem to be off....the paper is actually much creamier yellow and the foal is redder.

Sean

sati
01-20-2009, 04:18 PM
There's something about the foals! This turned out very nice. I like the simplicity of the composition.

I have the same difficulty with colors. When I scan my art, the orange tones tend to be acdentuated. On my monitor, this looks very orange but I'm sure it's not like that IRL. I try to correct the colors in Photoshop and have had some degree of success.

Linda

jumpermegs
01-20-2009, 04:22 PM
It's so simple and clean. You did a great job working with that tough paper!

Night Horse Studio
01-20-2009, 05:26 PM
It's beautiful Sean! You did an awesome job with this foal!

Steph

FaeLynn
01-20-2009, 06:06 PM
HI Sean! Aww how CUTE! You did an excellent job. I have this one in my files for future projects, if mine turns out half as good I will be happy.
Oh, I also use MT, I use the smooth side. Ainslie is right, Stonehenge is the best CP surface that I know of, I like MT for pastel.
I love the colors too, you did really great.

Hoofnpaw
01-21-2009, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the positive comments Steph, FaeLynn, Linda and JumperMeg.

FaeLynn: I'm sure that your piece will be evry bit and MORE than mine! My next project, I will try the smooth side!

Cathy: Thanks again for the great ref! I kind of wondered if she was going to be a grey, when I saw the spots on her knees, chest and swirl in the ref!

Sean

Carey Griffel
01-21-2009, 02:58 PM
Very nice, I love the color choice of paper and your treatment of the dust and the shadow!

~!Carey

(I also like the quote in your signature line! :) )