PDA

View Full Version : Acrylics that smell

Brownie
09-03-2000, 03:06 PM
I have some older Liquitex acrylic paints that literally stink! Is that because they are going bad? They seem to work, but I wondered if I should toss them. There does seem to be some separation in some of them. I don't notice this smell in the newer tubes. Just curious, Brownie/FL

tammy
09-03-2000, 10:10 PM
Humm, I'm not sure. I've got some tubes that
are many, many years old and they do not smell.
I'm not sure they have anything in them that might *go bad*. I suppose they could dry up.
Now if you've really got tempra like as in egg, I might see it, but it sounds as if you know what you have.

Brownie
09-10-2000, 01:32 PM
Tammy, It's just the Liquitex brand that has this problem. I also have some other brands that do not smell at all, but I know they're as old or older than the Liquitex ones. As I said before, I was just curious <G>. Thanks.

linart
09-11-2000, 02:02 AM
If they stink, they've been exposed to extremes in weather....frozen, most likely, or over-heated. Chemical break-down, mouldy, etc., yuk....toss them, and find a different supplier, or be more careful.

animal
09-11-2000, 10:24 AM
This happened to an art teacher I know, she bought her acrylics and they went bad, so she has to go back and buy all the colours again

China
09-11-2000, 05:52 PM
Gross! Acrylics that stink! That made me laugh. I would chuck them out for sure.

China