PDA

View Full Version : Soaking up the Sun-New Scratchboard xpost scratchboard (duh?)

Snuzin Susan
01-12-2009, 12:19 AM
Hi all. Just finished up a new scratchboard piece. Not it doesn't have that power of the wolf...but I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this :p . Could it possibly be because there is a penguin involved. No way...yes way there is! I saw this ref. and I had had had to do it. He looks so gosh darn happy chillin on his rock, soaking up the sun, possible caught up in the middle of a blizzard, but that doesn't matter because it is a penguin. Ha Ha. Okay so this is another 5x7 on scratchboard. I used sandpaper for the background, and a #11 exacto knife for everything else. The rock he is laying on alone took my like 7 hours....so I really never want to do another rock for the rest of my life. Poopy pics! Sorry. As always I welcome all of your wonderful C&C!

The full pic!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jan-2009/58995-Penguin_Full.jpg

Some closeups of the head (about the size of a half dollar) and body
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jan-2009/58995-Penguin_Head.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jan-2009/58995-Penguin_Body.jpg

And the dreaded rocks
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jan-2009/58995-Penguin_Rocks.jpg

-Susan

timwootton
01-12-2009, 03:38 AM
What's to say, Susan? You really have found your own element - a bit like your penguin has (Jackass, is it?). I'm sure to the luminaries who work in scratch, the use of sandpaper may be a tried and testd technique - but it's the first time I've seen it used, and to such great effect! The detail and life you have put into your work is superb. Really excellent work.

aRt4us
01-12-2009, 06:34 AM
Quite a lot of detailing have produce another beauty from you. (that rock looks nice too).

Keep showing your talent

Painting fun
Gary

IanArt
01-12-2009, 06:55 AM
Nice work Susan!! Very well done. The background is fantastic. Keep up the good work!!!

Ian

Ceiliog
01-12-2009, 07:36 AM
IO really like the BG, really makes the bird stand out

sveldstra
01-12-2009, 08:09 AM
Fantastic Susan, The seven hours spent on the rock were time well spent. It looks amazing.

Use Her Name
01-12-2009, 11:55 AM
I love the sand paper effect. It's a good likeness of the penguine.

Snuzin Susan
01-12-2009, 12:00 PM
:clap: Wow thank you all. I'm always stunned sometimes when I go to bed then wake up with so much support. It is a brilliant start to a day (especially a day like today when I start school again :( ). Thank you all so very very much. Every comment made me smile. I'm so glad everyone liked the rock...because I was so nervous it would be a flop and then I'd have to do something like gouge out my eyes with my xacto :eek: ...JUST KIDDING! No seriously thank you all wow! :o

-Susan

aRt4us
01-12-2009, 12:34 PM
If you gouge your eyes out, you couldn't read the nice comment. You could burst that bubble gum:D

Painting Fun
Gary

IanArt
01-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Wow! Getting up at noon must be nice!!! I'm just jealous. Wish I could sleep past 5:30. Oh well. :(

Ian

RichDFischer
01-12-2009, 02:48 PM
I love it! Never tried that medium, looks very time consuming. You did a wonderful job!

Snuzin Susan
01-12-2009, 06:29 PM
Ha ha! Mondays and Wednesday Susan gets to sleep in since I don't have class till 1 (That is all going to stop when I get my butt in gear to working out...yay free membership the YMCA!). Anyways yay as well to wonderful comments.

Gary-Ha ha bubble gum! Wow...your right gouging my eyes out would put a damper on just about everything. Thank you!

Ian-Don't be jealous...With 6 full 3 credit courses, plus voice lessons and band I'll be busting butt to keep up with everything, art, work, and whatever else (social life anyone?)...I'm only making up for the sleep I don't get the rest of the week. But it sure is nice to sleep in every once in a while :cool: ...thank you!

Rich-It kind of is kind of isn't. Depending on what you decide to do, but it is very fun, very addicting, and very rewarding. I suggest it. Thank you!

-Susan

AngieR
01-12-2009, 11:50 PM
good one susan! He has a look on his face that says he is enjoying the sun:) All he needs is an umbrella and a drink! Or an umbrella in a drink:) You are doing well with the scratchboard and I can't wait to see what you will come up with next:) don't work to hard:) take good care...

Angie

Snuzin Susan
01-13-2009, 12:22 AM
Umbrella in a drink. Yeah thats what I'm talking about! Thanks for stopping by Angie, it is always a pleasure to hear from you!

-Susan

pinups
01-13-2009, 12:44 AM
Very nicely done!