PDA

View Full Version : Body and Head Proportions...for Alan and anyone else...

arlene
08-08-2002, 01:40 PM
Here you see that the body is 8 heads high for the average adult...children are different...

Notice particularly where the elbow's wrist's and fingers fall...

Roughly this is how it works out...the bottom of each head falling:

1. chin
2. mid chest area
3 waist (here's where the elbow falls)
4. mid hip (here's where the wrist falls)
5. mid thigh
6. bottom of the knee
7. mid calf
8. bottom of feet

gemmag
08-08-2002, 01:42 PM
Hey Arlene,

This is very imformative, could you add this to the instructional sticky thread?

Thanks for posting it!
Gemma

arlene
08-08-2002, 01:44 PM
here is the head:

notice the head is dissected in half both horitontally and vertically...with the center of the eyes being on the line of where the head dissects

the edges of the mouth fall where the center of the pupil would be in the eyes

the ears are from the eyebrow line to the bottom of the nose line.

arlene
08-08-2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by gemmag
Hey Arlene,

This is very imformative, could you add this to the instructional sticky thread?

Thanks for posting it!
Gemma

yep, just came back to do this now...

gemmag
08-08-2002, 02:22 PM
Hi Arlene,

You did such a great job on your Cool Miner's Memorial, by any chance do you have any instructional info on how to render letters and carved letters like you did in that picture? I know that would be really helpful to many of us.

Gemma

Elankat
08-08-2002, 03:43 PM
There are also a couple of good threads in the Portraiture Hall of Fame that discuss placement of the facial features.

For anyone doing portraiture work, I'd recommend Gary Faigin's "The Artist's Complete Guide to Facial Expression." For anatomy, there are several good books out there. You just can't beat having a good anatomy book or two on hand. Peck's "Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist" and Thomson's "Handbook of Human Anatomy for Art Students" are the two that I have. Both are cheap. The Peck book has more illustration and would probably be considered more introductory.

Oh, btw Gemma...JD Hillberry's book does have a small part on carved letters. It's referring to rendering them in graphite, but the same principles of shadow and highlight would apply.

gemmag
08-08-2002, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Elankat
Oh, btw Gemma...JD Hillberry's book does have a small part on carved letters. It's referring to rendering them in graphite, but the same principles of shadow and highlight would apply.

Hey, Thanks LeAnne, I have that book at home, just haven't had a chance to read it yet, I just got it.

Gemma

arlene
08-08-2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by gemmag
Hi Arlene,

You did such a great job on your Cool Miner's Memorial, by any chance do you have any instructional info on how to render letters and carved letters like you did in that picture? I know that would be really helpful to many of us.

Gemma

i can show the steps taken in coloring them...but as for how i laid them out...it's a perspective problem...and i had to wing part of it..

TeAnne
08-08-2002, 06:44 PM
Thanks Arlene :D

ripvanblair
08-09-2002, 06:40 AM
Thanks very much Arlene this will come in very handy , I've just started another figure just the head and shoulders at the moment but I'll maybe try the full figure later on, once again thank you for taking the time---------Alan

Lenore
08-11-2002, 01:32 PM
This is a GREAT thread. I "ditto" sticking it at the top. Thanks Arlene for the time you took doing this.

Lenore

orchidlover6
08-11-2002, 04:59 PM
thanks arlene. I'm always having problems with these two issues.
'I vote for a sticky too.

arlene
08-11-2002, 06:35 PM
it's listed in the links to past instructional threads up in the sticky at top...