PDA

View Full Version : Lucy Byrd's Bird

giniaad
08-08-2002, 01:48 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-08-2002/3127_2D_LucyByrdsBird1WC.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Lucy Byrd's Bird
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Other
Dimension: 32 inches by 21 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
disregard the right side. I have to finish that and the side edges when I stretch the piece.

I usually give the story behind the picture, but chose not to this time, so your feedback would be a discovering process and more interesting.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
what do you think about this...
content, story...etc.
all feedback welcomed and appreciated

giniaad
08-08-2002, 01:51 PM
OOPS...forgot to mension
her right eyeglass lense was
etched/ frosted
because her eye was blind
and she did not want it seen.

TScottDove
08-08-2002, 02:42 PM
Beautifully rendered; the skin, the clothes - everything. Looks just like my Grandma from the neck down. She sits just that way.

She looks sharp and interested in what someone is saying out of frame. Perhaps she's the bird expert in a small town and someone has brought her a foundling in need of care.

jerryW
08-08-2002, 02:47 PM
a staggering work
composition wise, so integrated and relaxed yet each quadrant has something specifically different and interesting.
the tension is exquisite, from chords in the neck, pickets in railing, stripes in dress.
the shapes organic and balanced,
the colors orchestrate to a single voice - pretty as a canary.

artinoils
08-08-2002, 03:24 PM
Beautiful! The composition is lovely. The size of the woman is captured by the chair. The wisdom of her years and joy show in her face. People really do look like their pets. She's been lovingly caring for this little bird since it fell from its nest.

jnet11
08-08-2002, 03:54 PM
totally awestruck

a masterpiece

drquinn
08-08-2002, 04:56 PM
nicely rendered piece of work showing not just her physical side, but her inner beauty as well, reminding us that there was a time when the world was far less complicated.

JustjoGA
08-08-2002, 06:04 PM
When I saw her I knew... she's the "storyteller" of her little town, loves to tell the histories of the families, loves to have visitors, and yes... she loves small helpless creatures. I knew just such a lady in my own town growing up.

Fagan
08-08-2002, 06:33 PM
Ginia!! this is fantastic work! I love your portraits...they are so true to life and the people you paint seem to be so interesting. I am sure they all have "stories" to tell.

lspinella
08-08-2002, 06:47 PM
Fragile woman, small fragile bird sharing the same space and seeming all the better for it. Wish I could curl up and here a few stories from this lady.

your painting style and the atmosphere and personalty you captured is very good. the stripes on the dress must have been hard to work with.

Thanks for posting

giniaad
08-08-2002, 08:31 PM
TScott...Thanks for the "beautifully rendered" and accuracy of pose. She was sharp (glad to convey that) and listening to someone out of frame when I took the photo. The bird, yes, in need of care, was looking at the stranger in front of her...me. This is actually a picture of Suzi...Lucy's mother. The real bird expert was her daughter Lucy who brought the bird to her mother's home to teach her to fly and ultimately let her go.
Suzi was a loving and spirited woman with whom the bird trusted enough to make fast friends....good choice on the bird's part. Thank you for your eyes...

Jerry...I'm speechless...I look forward to your critiques...to receive such a full and glowing one...well...Thank you so much. I am glad you noticed how the colors are "orchestrated". I finally got a clue...the light bulb lit! Limited Pallet...and mixing of such for any variations...I am reborn...and thanks to WC for the inspiration...as I am not formally educated in any art school/ college. Thank you for your input...the education goes on.

artinoils..."beautiful"...thank you!...she was...and wisdom and joy too...glad to have conveyed that. People look like their pets...:D

j*...thanks so much sweetie...that means allot coming from you :D

drquinn...you hit it right on the nose...thanks for seeing it and taking the time to say so.

JustjoGA...you too hit it on the nose...and lucky you for knowing such a lady...hope you visit her allot. Thank you for replying!

Fagan...Thank you, you are a honey...I do try to do portraits of people I know, but not always. I took this picture 12 years ago knowing I wanted to paint her...it took those 12 years for me to feel ready to do her justice. I am so glad you like my work...:D

Ispinella...I like your perspective...and they were the better for it. Suzi...the gal in the painting, was so perky and said such positive and wondrous, spontaneous things. As for the stripes...not a problem...same flat brush (for widest part) and a twist of the brush handle for the folds (as they thin) as they go, and on down...the trick is to get the paint to the right consistency to take such a long trip...of course reloading was necessary too.
no, no...Thank YOU for posting...and when will you start a new thread?...look forward to it.

I learn allot from replies to my posts and others' posts
a Huge Thank You!

marilyn h
08-08-2002, 10:04 PM
mighty powerful painting and yet so serene and beatiful portrait of a tender, loving women. I love the softness of the person and background and the distinct hair piece,bird and hanky? Love it!

mattlart
08-08-2002, 11:57 PM
So much has been said about this piece;...it truly is a work of art, in every sense of the word. Exquisite yes,..aesthetically lovely,...and I agree, .rendered beautifully. You,ve been able to not only capture a moment in time,...but touch the soul:))
I love the light in this piece as well;...I can FEEL myself there.....:)
Congratulations!-Scott

Mary Ruth
08-09-2002, 01:50 AM
I know far too little to comment on the painting. I had to post because seeing it was such a joy, so---- why am I crying? Thank You !!!!

arourapope
08-09-2002, 03:00 AM
This one makes me want to cry too. Oh gosh, what a beauty you've done here! She is the bird.

wendee
08-09-2002, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by aurorapope
This one makes me want to cry too. Oh gosh, what a beauty you've done here! She is the bird.

takes my breath away......exquisite:D

futurebird
08-09-2002, 09:24 AM
It's wonderful I want it !!

LOL!

Evesangel
08-09-2002, 11:53 AM
Thank you for sharing this moment with us..what a glowing ,beauiful piece of this woman you have recorded... she must have been a real wonder for you to have saved her so lovingly and joyfully for those who didnt know her . (I cried too ..and ..I want it as well!!!!!)

giniaad
08-09-2002, 11:56 AM
Marilyn...all the aspects I hoped to portray- powerful in a serene and tender way...Thank you! Not a hanky- it is something in a small plastic bag...I loved that hair piece...a key note to her lasting self-respect. Thanks ever so much for replying...

Scott...high praise to truly be a work of art and to touch the soul too!...I can't thank you enough...it means the world to me

Mary...to touch you so much as to cry...the response is very meaningful to me...that is enough to know about any painting...you make me want to cry too...a soul cleansing Thank You!

Aurora...you too?! Thanks so much!...her spirit was as free as the bird's and as sweet too. A little known fact about just how sweet that bird was~ she never pooped on anyone...everywhere else, just never on anyone...wild, eh?

wendee...breath! Thanks so much for your wonderful reply!

futurebird...Thanks! High praise indeed!

I feel humbled by your responses...
and can not thank you enough...truly
only hope I can keep up this momentum on the work to come.
I LOVE to paint...and you all inspire me
with your replies, with your work,
and with all the conversations I am privileged enough to read.

giniaad
08-09-2002, 12:04 PM
Evesangel...dual posting...you are so welcome and Thank You! I took this picture 12 years ago...knowing I wanted to paint that moment...she WAS an inspiration who made me feel something very special about her...I had to wait for those 12 years before I felt any where near ready to do her any justice...it overwhelms me that, through your words, I know I have done just that...She is smiling down now...

and now I am crying...a bit...Thank You!

LadyPearl
08-09-2002, 05:30 PM
Yes…another note of praise!! I adore the subject matter for many reasons and the quality is perfect!

shaunna
08-09-2002, 06:52 PM
this is so beautifull i was awestruck when i viewed it I usually dont post on here because i feel im not as knowledagable as you all but this painting gave me such a feeling of serenity peace and as others have posted it made my eyes swell with tears beacause of the beauty it posesses. I cant say it enough BEAUTIFULL!!!!!!!:angel:

Pam B.
08-10-2002, 07:13 AM
I too just have to comment....this is such an enriching experience! The pose, the face, the technique, the ambience.........I think this is the most beautiful painting I have seen.........if I wait will she speak........

orchidlover6
08-10-2002, 01:18 PM
this is enchanting, intriguing and just powerful! what emotion you captured. I love it!!!!

giniaad
08-10-2002, 05:01 PM
LadyPearl...Thanks! I am enjoying the chorus :o

shaunna...your responce saying that you were so moved,
moves me...posting how a piece makes you feel is just as important as any other kind of critique...Thank you!

Pam B...the most beautiful you have ever seen?...can you see me blush? :) She was so spirited a person, I wouldn't doubt it if you did hear her if you waited long enough...Thanks for replying!

orchidlover6...Thank you so much...I know I have said that allot here, but I mean it as if it were fresh as a daisy (or orchid, if you like) each time. I feel she is my best piece to date...the subject matter was rather fantastic to begin with.

Nathan Reed
08-11-2002, 12:16 AM
Ginia,

This is absolutely incredible. The subject matter and subtle exaggerations really make the piece interesting. Great pose and expression.

Jangogh
08-11-2002, 03:32 AM
I've seen those hands before (on a real person!). You have captured those elongated knobby bones and saggy translucent skin that reflect a lifetime of experience perfectly. Feel like I could reach out and touch her.

Paintonbrush
08-12-2002, 12:31 PM
I almost missed this! wow
so well done. Your talent humbles me. so much to see here. I agree with all above and more. you must feel very proud.

giniaad
08-12-2002, 12:48 PM
Nathan...I am so glad to hear from you on this...Thanks...coming from the proud owner of a Nathan Reed original...;)

Jangough...the hands were a challenge...the skin, layers of glazing to achieve, and lots of referring to photo reference...Thanks so much for noticing and replying

Paintonbrush...your style and use of color often humbles me too...I do feel I have reached a pivotal point...only hope to keep it up and keep painting...the education continues and the positive feedback helps as we all know. Thanks for replying!

Thank you WC ! :D
(also for the addition of Spell Check :eek: )

jocelynsart
08-12-2002, 07:10 PM
I do like this piece. I love the light glowing contrasting colours. I do feel the neck is a bit too geometrically rendered, with the bones and skin being odd shapes. The other thing is, I do not know what the red square baggie is on her lap. One thing that has stuck in my mind for ages, is to not include somethign that others will say "what the heck is that"? Some things come across visually strange, especially if you are rendering from a photo. However, if they are inportant parts of the story in the piece, then I guess that is a hazard you have to take. The skin is just amazing! The colours are great! Wonderful work. I must go look at some more of your people.
Joss

giniaad
08-12-2002, 10:14 PM
joss...the neck does look strange...she was in her 90's and I think actually closer to 100 years old...pictures below...above?

As for the bag...I agree...
I wish I had thought of taking it off her lap 12 years ago
when I took the picture...
especially if I thought it would not disturb the bird.
But I left it in the painting...
it actually helped to balance the purple/ browns...
hair bow, bird, and thing in plastic bag.
(many older people have lots of things in plastic bags...
even just more plastic bags)
I did delete the table and the pin...
thinking that they distracted from the composition
So, I agree to get rid of things not important to the story
and the image/ painting

hmmm....seems I can only attach one image...
so chose the close up for the neck mostly

Thanks for replying, I do appreciate it allot

Gilberte
08-13-2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by jnet11
totally awestruck

a masterpiece

SO SAYS I

Corrie Scott
08-13-2002, 07:18 PM
Oh Man!!!!
This portrait evokes so many very human things for me.
Love, loyalty, caring, time, and many other things.
Beautifully rendered. You should be very proud of yourself

Linda Ciallelo
08-13-2002, 08:13 PM
This is wonderful! So beautiful, so refreshing. The colors are nice and soft, composition perfect , the feeling is totally gentle. You have done a superb job from this photo. It's just outstanding!

giniaad
08-13-2002, 10:13 PM
Gilberte...Thanks so much...:)

Corrie...evoking feelings and thoughts...yes...Suzi would be happy for that...and I am too! Proud is a strong way to feel...I am, however, very happy with the results...Thanks!

Linda...from one who does reality in such an artful and intrinsic manner...high praise...Thanks!

djstar
08-13-2002, 11:38 PM
Have I told you lately that I love you?
dj*

giniaad
08-14-2002, 04:00 PM
geesh...I am embarrassed to put myself back to the top of the page here, but had to reply...

dj...so glad you made it! Your timing and message was perfect!
The Story:
This day was to be using paint and brush
in a most despicable manner...
in a most mind numbing, repetitive way...
using brain cell killing, fast drying, oil primer...
in "skin glistening" heat advisory weather.

A Mucky Mess~ pale, brush, hands, and paint...
with sweat bees tickling and biting...
with those inevitable little hairs getting loose and tickling too...

So between the squirming of
glistening skin, mucky mess, sweat bees and hair...
the handling of long, skinny, wobbly boards...
and the singing of a sad ballad for the ill used brush...
all set to questionable radio reception,
I was to be a veritable one stooge ballet.

Well, in anticipation of all these things
I was not a pappy puppy...
(do I hear a violin?)

I had time only to pop in and read your post...
you put a big smile on my sad puppy face
and humor back into my day.

Long story , short (?!)
Thank You, dj...and may I say...
the feeling is totally mutual...:)