PDA

View Full Version : acrylics

animal
08-24-2000, 01:11 PM
i have done some work in acrylics, and I love this medium, I was just wondering what i can sell acrylic paintings for, like if i wanted to sell acrylic wildlife art/pet portraits

all advice is appreciated,

thank you

Animal

LDianeJohnson
08-24-2000, 01:22 PM
Acrylic paintings are of the same calibur as other mediums. I paint in oil as well as acrylic, and my prices are the same for both, and they both sell equally well. Just be sure to use the very best materials you can afford from the painting surface to the paint itself.

------------------
L. Diane Johnson, NAPA, PSA, APOW
Painting Gallery of L. DianeJohnson (http://www.LDianeJohnson.com)

Listings with ArtistNation (http://dianejohnson.artistnation.com/)

CarlyHardy
08-29-2000, 07:39 PM
There are a lot of factors to consider when you want to sell your work...
the time involved
the costs of your materials
your market
and other things that may apply to you personally.

The fact that you paint with acrylics should not be a real factor in your price setting.
I paint with both oils and acrylics...and now watercolors. The three items I listed effect my price range more than anything else.
carly

jamietk421
12-09-2004, 10:37 PM
Noone has mentioned the tax issue. If you are an amateur and you sell your work, do you need to take out federal, state, ect taxes and medicare, ect. like you would if you were, say, a carpenter running his own business?

I am sure that Thomas Kinkade has to pay taxes just like anyone else, but how would you go about filing taxes for artwork, especially if you are not a professional with a business license....also do you need a business license to sell artwork if you are an amateur?

gnu
12-10-2004, 12:04 AM
ANIMAL!!!! :wave: :wave: :clap: :clap:
long time no see!!
I sell my 24" x 18" canvasess for NZ$500, at least I've sold one at that price..
you'll have to convert that yourself. but it would be average for skilled artwork(ie someone with a little experience..I've worked up to that price and I base my prices purely on size. I can only do this by about $50 increments per 2" increase(square) .

PAKI
12-10-2004, 12:14 AM
I believe acrylics have come into their own. I believe that they rival the selling prices of any other good media. Some suggest that oils still sell better than acrylics, but then it depends on the artist and the venue. Because acrylics that are done well can be long lasting and just as stimulating as oil, they should have no problem commanding top selling price. It is somewhat obvious to most of us that selling costs are relative to demand, size, current market activity, and artist's ability to attract collectors and buyers. I give my vote of confidence to acrylics. They certainly have my respect.

Mark Newton
12-10-2004, 12:51 AM
I sell my 24" x 18" canvasess for NZ$500, at least I've sold one at that price..
you'll have to convert that yourself. but it would be average for skilled artwork(ie someone with a little experience..I've worked up to that price and I base my prices purely on size. I can only do this by about $50 increments per 2" increase(square) .

HI Gill. Can you tell me in real hours how long it would take you to complete something you sell for NZ$500. I mean actual time spent working on something of that value, not including the time between work. I would appreciate that...

Cheers :wave:

gnu
12-10-2004, 04:20 AM
HI Gill. Can you tell me in real hours how long it would take you to complete something you sell for NZ$500. I mean actual time spent working on something of that value, not including the time between work. I would appreciate that...

Cheers :wave:
I would hazard a guess at 16 hours. most of mine are done minimum 8 hours all totalled up. Usually longer. I don't draw on the canvas as a rule, though I do simple outline in pastel pencil if I'm worried about placement..
The first 15 min or so are spent covering the canvas as I like to start on coloured ground.. then blocking in colour, usually all the background first, then the foreground etc , then going back and picking up 2 - 3 colours for final layer(usually only 2 layers or 3 total as it's impasto)
The second 8 hours are much more fiddly, adding in extra darks, highlights, making sure I have some cohesion over the whole painting, adding spots of interest, watching for 'lost & found" edges.. painting round the actual canvas edges(with my finger ;) )..
I work fast though, I can get a lot done in 15 minutes.(that's why the drying time doesn't bother me at all).:D If I had to, I'd do it in 10 hours..I just like to have thinking time :D
See that wee estuary painting in my siggie..? it's 13" x 9.5", took me 2 hours total time..:D