PDA

View Full Version : Harrabrough Head with Fulmars, Orkney

timwootton
01-05-2009, 08:11 AM
Painted as a commission for two of my closest friends as a centrepiece for their newly refurbished living room (it's one of their favourite parts of South Ronaldsay, Orkney). This is just about finished now although I'm still waiting for the reference for the fisherman and boat, for all intents and purposes that's not relevant to the way the painting reads.
I would ordinarily have softened the edges of the middle distant headland (Harrabrough Head) but when we get strong winter light up here, the shapes are so crisp that the sharp crisp edges are absolutely typical features of our northern climes (probably due in part to the relatively unpolluted air).
I wasn't sure whether to post in Wildlife, Marine or Landscape - so I thought it'd go in all three - sorry for the replication :) .
"Harrabrough Head with fulmars" - acrylic on canvas - 40"x30"
x-post from Marine & Landscape

mig rod
01-05-2009, 09:11 AM
That looks fantastic!!
Yeah, one of those older rustic crab fishing boats
in the background would look great.
Great work!

Southern Wind
01-05-2009, 09:20 AM
Gorgeous, I love the lighting effects on the water and stones, especially the passage in the lower left corner where there is shadow on the stones in the water and then light on the stones coming out of the water.
Yvonne

ARTMUTT
01-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Gorgeous lighting and colors. I can almost hear and smell the ocean.

jody007
01-05-2009, 10:43 AM
Oh wow that is really beautiful!!!!!!! I love it!!!!!
Jody

IanArt
01-05-2009, 11:37 AM
I really like this alot!! The colour is fantastic! Great job!!!

Ian

QueenBArt
01-05-2009, 12:20 PM
Tim I am blown away by this one. The light is so strong and inviting, and the action of the surf just reads so well into the dynamic of this piece. I really enjoy the positions of the birds, although I will admit I passed over the middle one once or twice before going 'ah ha!' but it seems right to me. Where is the fisherman going? I am sure you know how to handle it and read it, but I would almost prefer it without any more subject matter. I look forward to whatever you choose to do with it though. This is a truly beautiful work.

goby
01-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Your friends will love this! I really like the water in the foreground, love the touch of yellows.Perhaps the middle ground is a little hard edged but you made it work masterfully.
Goby

Phranque
01-05-2009, 01:03 PM
This really rocks Tim;) Absolutely beautiful!

aRt4us
01-05-2009, 01:08 PM
The flow of morning/evening colour bouncing all over the rocks, with the movement of water together with the gulls floating on the updraft give this painting a beautiful mood, and you painting it all just from a brush.
I could sit here forever watching the sun never going down/up?
Painting fun
Gary

lilbelle
01-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Wow, fabulous! The lighting is superb!

KerryOriginals
01-05-2009, 01:59 PM
Oooh, super! Thanks for posting it here!

chammi kaiser
01-06-2009, 03:21 AM
Tim. I like everything about this one. The light, the ocean and the freedom of the birds. It is a wonderful painting.

online art
01-06-2009, 04:06 AM
Superb use of light Tim - I think it's one of your very best

:clap: :clap: :clap:

PatrickHedges
01-06-2009, 08:14 PM
I love seeing someone with enough skill to put so much colour in, even in the distance, and yet have everything sitting in the right plane. Gorgeous work Tim!!