PDA

View Full Version : Acrylics vs. Oils

mfernkas
08-12-2000, 06:06 PM
I have been painting with acrylics for several years now and have used them with all types of subjects from architecturally based subjects to portraits. I have been told by a professional painter that I should think about switching to oils because if I really want to sell my work they will sell much better as oil paintings. What does everyone think about this? Are oil paintings more salable works than acrylics? Oil does seem to be the "respected" medium. Just curious what people think here.

dhenton
08-14-2000, 07:20 PM
Hi
checked out your website. I would seriously doubt that you could produce better quality as you do now with oils. I assume that the only reason you wish to switch is because of marketing considerations. It certainly can't be because it would be easier, or make your pictures any better. Robert Bateman paints in acrylics, and he does fine. If it's a market consideration, just drop the snobs, and sell to the rest.

------------------
"Art is anything you can get away with." -- Marshall McLuhan

LDianeJohnson
08-20-2000, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by mfernkas:
I have been painting with acrylics for several years now and have used them with all types of subjects from architecturally based subjects to portraits. I have been told by a professional painter that I should think about switching to oils because if I really want to sell my work they will sell much better as oil paintings. What does everyone think about this? Are oil paintings more salable works than acrylics? Oil does seem to be the "respected" medium. Just curious what people think here.

Dear mfernkas:

I have been painting as a professional for many, many years. I have used everything from crayon to pastel; pastel being my primary medium.

Avoid listening to the NYC critics, friend or not. Use what is amenable and appropriate for you. I now use oil, acrylic as well as pastel and am known in every port.

If I could give you any advice it would be this...use one material to start and use it well (to the very best of your ability). Then, change or switch as you see fit or desire.

No matter what you use, be it oil, acrylic, pastel, ink, etc...nothing will be wasted. Color is color, design is design, and structure is structure. Whatever you know or learn of another material or subject will contribute to your skills whatever tool you pick up.

------------------
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
L. Diane Johnson, NAPA, PSA
LDianeJohnson.com (http://www.LDianeJohnson.com)