PDA

View Full Version : Complex Construction II

Busik12
12-30-2008, 05:40 PM
Complex Construction II
Collage, acrylic, oil, and pencil on canvas
Approx. 50" x 40" (127cm x 102 cm)
December 2008

I have been attempting something new for the past few paintings -- ripping the paper and going over it with paint again, and then adding more collage. This work went through three big stages, and when I was fed up with it, I decided that I could either throw it out or try something drastic. I never intended to rip it from the start, and the fact that I worked with oil on sealed paper made collaging and painting in acrylic after the oil stage much more difficult.

Any critiques and comments are greatly appreciated!

Busik12
12-31-2008, 11:27 AM
Better, updated photo:

Cyndi L
12-31-2008, 12:52 PM
So you collaged and painted in acrylics over top of an oil painting? Forgive me if I misunderstood what you said above, I'm just wondering if it will hold together for the long run?

I find the composition very intriguing, and I keep seeing more the longer I look at it. The scattering of blue and red keeps my eyes moving around the somewhat central ochre shape.

Printmakerguy
12-31-2008, 08:03 PM
Wow- There is a LOT to keep the eye busy there...

Wandering Blues
01-01-2009, 10:30 AM
There are so many small stories in there! I found myself really taking the time to take it all in. Good color choices as well.

Busik12
01-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Thank you.

I sealed the collage paper with acrylic medium (three layers), then painted on top with oil, ripped some papers off, and painted on top with acrylic where there was no oil.