PDA

View Full Version : Plein Air at Volcano: Annual near-calamity

ejtupi
12-28-2008, 04:21 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-28-2008/114249_Volcano_011_resize.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Plein Air at Volcano: Annual near-calamity
Year Created:
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Other
Dimension: 7 X 7 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Allow me to bore you with the background of this piece: <br><br>Those of you who’ve been here a while might recall one of my earlier close calls while plein-airing. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=464389<br><br> Let’s face it, like theater, plein air painting is hard to give up if it’s in your blood. I mean, nothing says “painterly” like carrying a three-color palette and a #8 round out into the woods and coming back with a picture no reference photo could ever capture (even if you finish the picture in your studio at home!). <br><br>We have quite a few volcanoes here in Alaska. The easy ones have been painted to death; who hasn’t seen a thousand paintings of Mt. McKinley erupting? How banal. <br><br>When the USGS alerted me that Mt. Chuque was scheduled to go off, I rounded up the members of my plein air group and off we went. Helicopter to 21,000 feet, where we established Base Atelier; dog sled until they quit on us; snowshoe from there to the tour bus overlook at 29,000 feet. A bit slow going amidst the icefields, and some of the more foolhardy either tu<br>ed back or jettisoned some of their equipment to reduce weight in their packs. (It would come back to haunt some of them: I was the only one with a tube of cad orange, and I wasn’t in a sharing mood.) The rest of us sustained our dwindling team’s enthusiasm by occasional chants of “Where are we headed? Up Chuque Mountain!”<br><br>Well, long story short, it tu<br>s out that the winds were against us that day. When Chuque Mountain cleared its throat and heaved up a mess of something that looked like a hangover cure, most of it headed our way. We painted in a frenzy, capturing the essence that only a plein air painting can capture… or trying to, amidst the falling magma. <br><br>This photo shows the only painting that survived. They say my eyebrows will grow back. <br>

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Critique away. But remember: I only correct my plein air pictures at the actual site. I'm a purist. It will be a while before I'm able to retu<br> and fix the nitpicky details in this one.<br><br>Thanks in advance for your input!

mooz49
12-28-2008, 04:59 PM
Ejtupi ....obviously it is much too cold in Alaska at the moment for you to get out to play in the snow these days and that is driving you crazy .....you have far too much time to think and it is messing with your mind. Go back to bed with a good book .....maybe do some research into hibernating for the winter and wake up when springtime comes along ..... you will get through this ....keep taking the pills ......:grouphug:

bpc
12-28-2008, 05:19 PM
If this was plein air...where the heck were you sitting..on a cloud? Maybe you meant Palin air.

Spyderbabe
12-28-2008, 08:40 PM
Wow. that is dedication. ;-)
Nice effect of clouds and smoke. What is the surface?

laudesan
12-28-2008, 10:32 PM
....keep taking the pills ......:grouphug: 'nough said.

tgsloth
12-28-2008, 11:24 PM
So this is what Wayne meant by hurling. Writ large.

billmahler
12-28-2008, 11:30 PM
There are strange things done in the midnight sun...
Was Sam McGee grinning nearby?

It's telling the story, EJ, and that's what matters most, so it's successful.

tali
12-29-2008, 12:32 AM
Obviously very few can understand the sheer genius and phenomenal realism captured in this painting. One the most dedicated can survive plein air in Alaska. Look at this video, even Lipking and Pro barely survived! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFgZ97cmNcE&feature=related) and they were trying it in the summer! I’m just so grateful everyone made out ok, with the exception of the eyebrows which are quite a tragedy. Way to go EJ!

Corby
12-29-2008, 11:44 AM
Perhaps the occasion would have lent itself to the use of encaustic? :wink2: Neat adventure, neat memento! :thumbsup:

Dana Design
12-29-2008, 12:09 PM
ej,
This photo shows the only painting that survived. They say my eyebrows will grow back.

I'm sitting here laughing hysterically! You are hilarious and you can find humor even in the face of death? Too much!

I absolutely love this painting. The snow covered mtns in the background are so beautiful! Genius in the treatment. And I hand it to you for the extraordinary measures you went to in order to achieve and accomplish this painting. You amaze me!

Dana Design
12-29-2008, 12:18 PM
Obviously very few can understand the sheer genius and phenomenal realism captured in this painting. One the most dedicated can survive plein air in Alaska. Look at this video, even Lipking and Pro barely survived! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFgZ97cmNcE&feature=related) and they were trying it in the summer! I’m just so grateful everyone made out ok, with the exception of the eyebrows which are quite a tragedy. Way to go EJ!

Tali, thanks so much for that video! I enjoyed it immensely. So, oh yeah, let's go to Alaska and do some plein aire.....SURE!

Bis007
12-29-2008, 05:07 PM
Hi Ejtupi
Re Plein Air Painting.

I saw this hilarious video with two fellas Tony and Jeremy and guess what it was in Alaska! :lol: Maybe they were trying to paint Mt. McKinley.

Was wondering if this was you in this video.

In the video they had mosquitoes buried in their paint, big splatter of rain and was battling all the elements rain thunder, lightening and still was painting their scene, after a long hike up.

It was hilarious, and they thought so too – Check it out maybe you knew these guys name Tony and Jeremy from Alaska. I think they had fun.

Here is the link: Adventure of Plein Air Painting.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=KFgZ97cmNcE

Maybe the rest of readers will find it :lol:

Cheers - I Love your volanco and your story and after seeing this video some while back - I thought i post this.

toraman
12-29-2008, 06:26 PM
ejtupi, my friend, you have created a whole new style with your last few paintings. I really wonder how you do these. Actually I do not necessarily like your subjects (I rarely like anyones) but your style is great. Congratulations.

ejtupi
12-29-2008, 10:07 PM
Thank you, everyone, for your feedback. I credit a friend for suggesting what turned into the story behind the painting when she said it didn't look like an eruption so much as a mountain upchucking breakfast. Well, that might be the case, now that I look at it more closely.

It's nice when there's some fun in making a picture, and it's even nicer to be able to share that fun. I hope the coming year brings at least one more opportunity to take plein air to the next level....regardless of the risks. I am, as I said, a purist, and my life would be but a small price to pay in pursuit of my art. *sniff*

Dana Design
12-30-2008, 12:45 PM
I hope the coming year brings at least one more opportunity to take plein air to the next level....regardless of the risks. I am, as I said, a purist, and my life would be but a small price to pay in pursuit of my art. *sniff*

Thank you for always making me laugh.

mooz49
12-30-2008, 12:51 PM
Thank you for always making me laugh.
Good for you Dana for ignoring EJ's *sniff* .....he's only looking for sympathy you know ...... :crying: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dana Design
12-30-2008, 03:48 PM
Good for you Dana for ignoring EJ's *sniff* .....he's only looking for sympathy you know ...... :crying: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol:

EJ's a love!

Bis007
12-30-2008, 03:57 PM
Me again- sorry
I had to look again at your painting.

This painting has a "La" feeling to it- ? why? well if you look at it sideways, you can see one of La's character-a woman lying, her long red hair resting (which is on the foreground) and from her mouth is the valcanos ashes. View it with your head tilted.

Sorry Ms La. ( I like her paintings)
:wave:

Dana Design
12-31-2008, 07:19 PM
Gak, I saw that figure also! It's an interesting aspect to this. And, it can only add to the painting...love the mystery.

MRSBB
12-31-2008, 07:56 PM
LOL, sorry about the eyebrows, hopefully they will grow back. One of your finest paintings. Thanks for cheering me up with your humorous story. Keep having fun............Lenore

ejtupi
01-28-2009, 02:49 PM
Talk about a cheesy excuse to bump my own thread!

I'm only doing so because Mt. Redoubt, down the inlet a way from where I live, is expected to blow some time soon. And, since I plan to drive down to Kenai, which is directly across Cook Inlet from the volcano, this weekend it looks like Another <STRIKE>Plain</STRIKE> Plein Air Adventure on the horizon!

You can follow along with the volcano's progress by visiting the Volcano Observatory (http://www.avo.alaska.edu/) web site. They have several web cams. I will try to remember to wave.

Just have to go down the checklist again:

Asbestos underwear: check.
Fireproof canvas: check.
3 tubes of Universal Plein Air Palette Paints on ice: check.All set. :thumbsup:

(Please don't post replies. I feel guilty as it is bumping this thread.)

hward
01-28-2009, 09:47 PM
You have a good technique for texture. That's my favorite part of the painting.

Starsprite
01-28-2009, 11:03 PM
You DO use some pretty cool techniques on your watercolors for texture E.J. Do you add ox-gal or salt, alcohol or other things to achieve these results? Come on....give me your recipe! :D Very brave of you to do a plein air at an erupting volcano! :eek: I especially like the cloudy smoky part.