PDA

View Full Version : Ruined Church aceo

tgsloth
12-28-2008, 03:56 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-28-2008/124239_Ruined_Church_aceo.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Ruined Church aceo
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Linen
Dimension: 2.5
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
A fantasy scene but you can see a lot of churches like this in Ireland.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Open. Note that the small image is how the aceo format actually looks.

LynnDigby
12-28-2008, 06:33 PM
It's so tiny! I know it's bad form to talk about scale, when everyone and his sister's best friend's uncle is painting these ACEO things. I am going to be the first to admit I am not particularly qualified, having never even tried this.

So, from a total ACEO rookie wannabe, I just keep seeing them and wondering how you can get the 'stuff' you want from something this teeny.

This will not be the first time I don't get something. Trust me. It happens.

As for this, gosh, I'd like to see it bigger. (Probably heresy given the whole ACEO requirements)

Barring that it's a sweet little study of a ruin. It could use a little more detail maybe, but what would you use, a cat's whisker?

I think I've probably been no help at all. You may feel free to yell at me.

totsy
12-28-2008, 06:41 PM
I am not ashamed to say I don't know. What is the meaning of this acronym: aceo:rolleyes:

totsy

LynnDigby
12-28-2008, 06:46 PM
ACEO = "Art Cards, Editions and Originals"

These are really popular now.

Read all about it!

http://www.art-cards.org/

totsy
12-28-2008, 06:52 PM
Cool...thanks the explanation Lynn.

Totsy

"None of us is as smart as all of us"
Anonymous

Spyderbabe
12-28-2008, 08:29 PM
TG - i think you have the color contrasts, the shift in values and the simple but effective comp that an aceo demands. I think one thing that would make the narrative unnecessary is some definition of a steeple, cross, spire - something to readily identify it as a church. My eye was trying to make it Stonehenge.

ejtupi
12-28-2008, 09:36 PM
I like the idea of ruins as a subject - I'm a sucker for that stuff, especially if there's a graveyard involved.

I enjoy the zigzag compositional structure.

A few nitpicks: clouds and ruins too centered horizontally; overall color too bright and perky; distant greens should be greyed down and lose intensity. The greens also have a bit of a "straight from the tube" feel.

Minor nits, as they say. (Free advice: Use a 4-0 baby eyelash for the detail work. And hold it tightly in a tweezers when you wash it. Can't tell you how many of those I've lost....)

Dana Design
12-29-2008, 12:53 PM
ej, baby eyelashes? I'm hysterically laughing. Thank you for being you!

tg, Spydie's advice is spot on. The greens seem too yellowish in the distance. I saw Stonehenge as well. But that's ok. I loved Stonehenge and got to see it before they put up the ropes and barriers and schlock shops.

Richeson is having an ACEO contest. See Spydie's thread for the info.

tgsloth
12-29-2008, 01:13 PM
Just to clarify, SB wants an identifying something or other so the viewer knows it's a church. It's EJ who pointed out the lack of atmospheric perspective. I continue to feel that doing aceo's is like warm up stretching before a tennis match or some such activity. For me, the main issue with this aceo is I stopped a bit too soon. It needs just a few more touches. Spydy's work generally shows that perfect or near perfect decision making on how many dabs of which color. My first visit to Stonehenge was 1964. There was just a little sign, no admission, no ropes, no folks, nothing. I stayed for a couple to hours just breathing in the mystery. Took a bunch of pictures. Read that the greatest damage to the monument was in the early part of the 20th century when farmers used it as a quarry. Oh well. Now it's like Disney Presents The Stonehenge Experience!