PDA

View Full Version : Desert Sunrise

collectr
12-28-2008, 11:19 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-28-2008/88703_desertsunrisesm.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Desert Sunrise
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Wood
Dimension: 13 s 13
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I know the colors are pretty strong and exaggerations of what occurs in nature, does that help or hurt this piece.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
As aways just looking to lea<br> through your critiques,<br><br>Thanks

Dana Design
12-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Yes, the colors are strong but they work as they balance each other. This is a beautiful painting. I also really like the diagonals. It works for me!

ejtupi
12-28-2008, 03:10 PM
The sky is fantastic. The only element I have a problem with is the mass on the right protruding upward - it should either be increased in volume to indicate why it's pushing the sky upward, or the sky should be fixed so it doesn't look like it was painted around it. The object (trees?) is not sufficiently imposing to suggest that effect on the sky. Just my view on this at the abstract level.

I love the flow of light in this greatly. I really like how the foreground shows the early stages of coming to life under the influence of the sunrise.

A very striking work. My nitpicky comment above is not a negative - it only reflects my immediate reaction to the piece. Thanks for showing this.

Corby
12-28-2008, 03:51 PM
This is a signature look for you. I think I would recognize your work anywhere. Dont stint or hang back...go for it! This works in all ways for me.

collectr
12-28-2008, 05:15 PM
Thanks much guys I really appreciate the support!

bpc
12-28-2008, 05:21 PM
That sunrise looks like the flame in my furnace...a bit overpowering i think.

LynnDigby
12-28-2008, 05:47 PM
I'm messing with some gestural landscapes myself now. I love the direct wham! approach that leaves a lot to the imagination, but still reads true.

Not to overlay my own stuff with yours, but I see similarities here. Kinda exciting.

I have been beating myself up trying to capture the 'energies' that permeate the subjects, and it's really a daunting thing. Less is more. Or less is less. I'm not sure yet.

In this piece, I'd kill the edge where the brown earth meets the sky. I don't want to focus there. Instead, I want to be drawn to the light in the surrounding darkness.

So, forgive me for both overlaying what I want to see and for the botch of a photoshop illustration. This is just an idea, but it was what struck me immediately when I saw this.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Dec-2008/71979-88703_desertsunrisesm.jpg

collectr
12-28-2008, 06:33 PM
Hi Lynn,

Thanks for the feedback, on one hand I like the changed you made, the add some depth to the field and give a different perspective. On the other side though, I think this painting is about color and transition and the from that perspective my composition works or flows better. I will definitely be using your suggestions in the future to soften the horizon and add depth to my work. Thanks. Happy New Year.

Garry

Bis007
12-28-2008, 07:58 PM
Wow! Very nice
There are so images I can see especially on the ground. (ochre) a leg resting on the rock etc.,
Look closely.

Cheers!:wave:

kathrynlovespets
12-30-2008, 03:33 PM
wow...incredibly beautiful image...such colors and texture..
and contrast