PDA

View Full Version : Taste of Wine

susie-q
12-27-2008, 03:31 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-27-2008/116050_susan_photos_001.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Taste of Wine
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a redo of a painting I attempted a while back.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated

gaensanger
12-27-2008, 06:52 PM
Susie, this is too beautiful. I miss the reflections of other colours, this is very straight. The grapes have just one colour, the leaves are just green, ...
But maybe you like it this way, in this case it is well done!

susie-q
12-27-2008, 07:12 PM
I've been thinking the same thing...but I'm not sure where to add the reflected colors.

ejtupi
12-27-2008, 11:01 PM
As to composition, I find it pleasing: The arc of the cask on the left side is echoed and continued through the hanging grapes, the leaves and the cluster on the left. This is opposed wonderfully by the verticals in the bottle and glass. Also, I very much like the treatment of the reflections in the shiny surface. Your drafting of the picture is very exacting, though I question whether the glass is tipped toward the viewer.

Now, the annoying nitpicking:
1. The picture seems to lack depth. Especially the bottle and its relationship to other elements are confusing to me. I feel as if the objects are all crowded toward the picture plane. Part of this is probably due to modeling, but I think some of it has to do with the color saturation remaining rather high all the way into the background.
2. The stem of the glass is a bit abruptly shaded, making the viewer's right side of the glass seem to be unsupported and unnatural.
3. Ditto gaensanger's observations - but, add this: if you vary the greens in the leaves it will open the opportunity to provide shadowing that implies the overlapping relationship of the leaves as well as the spatial depth of the subject.

Quite a nice image that would look great in a dining room at home or in a restaurant.

Bright Eyes
12-28-2008, 01:38 AM
Its beautiful! I love the way you reflected the colors in the wine bottle. And the reflections of the grapes and everything on the bottom is just genius. I think this painting is very straight forward and pleasing. The color scheme and layout are what a glass of deep red wine would look like as a painting. I love it!

Gemini IX
12-28-2008, 05:09 AM
It has a nice feel to it. Great job with the colors! I like it!

Corby
12-28-2008, 04:03 PM
We have a style, each of us in presentation. This is of a style. I understand the critiques given and see how they could be applied so, to good effect...but it seems to me that an alteration of the image as a whole would need to occur so as to maintain its cohesiveness. I think it is beautifully done and totally acceptable as is. Beautiful and pleasing in itself! (AISI)