PDA

View Full Version : WDE 12/26/08 Willow

missswiss
12-26-2008, 11:12 PM
I would truly like any suggestions on this painting. It is done in soft pastels, which I am trying to do. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Dec-2008/132729-Willow.jpg

eyepaint
12-27-2008, 01:04 AM
Mary, I can hear Willow panting from here :) You asked for suggestions ... maybe she needs a slightly taller forehead? And her eyes might be a bit more round? The nose, mouth, tongue and snout all look fine. Maybe she wants to wear her Santa hat? :)

grekslay
12-27-2008, 01:10 AM
hi Mary willow looks great thanks form take her for a run she looks puffed :D You asked for suggestions ... maybe push the darks a little around the head and ears but its still looks like willow
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

crispur2005
12-27-2008, 03:32 AM
Hi Mary. she looks like she is everybodies best friend with a happy glint in her eye
Christine

connievanwinssen
12-27-2008, 03:57 AM
Cute!:)

mammevicki
12-27-2008, 06:19 AM
She's lovely! I like your bg also, have fun playing. Vicki

Dewi
12-27-2008, 07:29 AM
Hi Mary, Willow is cute and good advice from Graham.

bchlvr
12-27-2008, 09:42 AM
Good job with the pastels!

Scattykat
12-27-2008, 11:54 AM
oooh, you've given this pooch such cuddlesome appeal Mary with that cool fur texture, just want to hug and fuss him...

Prickles
12-27-2008, 02:30 PM
yep thats my girl all right with her big smile good job I haven't tried to draw willow yet a bit nevous to do so
I and with Graham tho (hehehe) and push the darks around the ears & eyes by the nose well done

Paulafv
12-27-2008, 03:39 PM
She looks like such a happy, friendly pretty dog. I agree with the advice given...just a little tweak here and there. Lovely. You're doing well with the pastels, Mary.

Lanita
12-27-2008, 04:36 PM
I think you really caught her sweet expression!

Lanita

Signchick
12-27-2008, 04:56 PM
She looks sweet, Mary! :clap: I am terrible at pets! I want to draw them all, but I'm not very good at it! :p

missswiss
12-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Thanks everyone. I will try the suggestions as I can see how that might (if I do it right) improve it. I kind of like messing with the pastel even though I do not know what I am doing. Kor told me about a book and I got it but with holidays have not had much time to work through it, but I plan to. Probably should have done that before doing this.:rolleyes:

ArtsyMom
12-27-2008, 07:38 PM
Hi Mary, Like your version of Willow. He looks soft and beautiful. Wish I could do as good in pastels. Lil

justjean
12-27-2008, 07:39 PM
ah he looks great and so happy :thumbsup:

bluefrog
12-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Cute! Great work!

Charlie's Mum
12-28-2008, 09:55 AM
Nice happy dog Mary!

If you choose a range of contrasts in each colour you use - from very light to very dark - and use to show the curls/shapes of the fur in both brown and white areas, you'll get greater depth and sense of texture.
We tend to think pastels are easy because they're dry and immediate - they're not! They need to be built up (my opinion, of course!)
Have a try Mary :D

artastic
12-28-2008, 05:36 PM
great version of Willow Mary, love the texture and , not a pastelist myself can give no really good C&C, but looks like you are on track

vickilyn
12-29-2008, 07:31 AM
Soft and cuddly.

Deano
12-29-2008, 09:00 AM
Lovely work.
Although I don't work in pastel, Maureen's suggestions sound right on. No matter what media you choose, color variation within various main colors (say browns) adds interest and form.

KreativeK
12-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Great start, keep on going with it.

khourianya
12-29-2008, 12:51 PM
looks so sweet. And good for you for giving pastel a go. They are my personal favourite medium. I don't really have any suggestions over and above teh many suggestions to push the darks. But I can give you a couple of tips for your future paintings:

* Invest in some pastel pencils (to set up defined edges as you work) and a few different surfaces. For animals, I love working on suede matboard (you can buy this at most framing shops) It has a velvety surface that takes the pastel really well and lends a soft, touchable look to animal portraits. For other subjects, I prefer a sanded surface like Wallis. This surface has alot of "tooth" and can take multiple layers of pastel without looking overworked.

* Try to keep your fingers out. It is so tempting to smudge away with your fingers to get the blending done, but the oils on your fingers can muddy the colours. Use items like qtips, those rubber cuticle pushers for your nails (find a softer one) or even another pastel stick. The more layers you build up, the more you'll see that they tend to start blending on their own.

* Hard pastels are a pastelists best friend for the first layer of pastel. blocks in the colour without filling the tooth up and gets you into the fun part with the big ol' softies faster!

Hope these help you! Great job so far and keep up the awesome work! I have this one saved to do myself!

ams
12-29-2008, 02:53 PM
I've never worked in pastels so I can't give any suggestions but it sounds like you already got some excellent advice. Willow appears to be very excited awaiting your next pastel! ;)

Anne

missswiss
12-29-2008, 09:46 PM
Thanks so much for the good advice from each of you. I will continue to try this medium as those who do it well, I really like the end results. Patience is not a strong point with me and I need to really work on that with whatever medium I am using. I really appreciate all your responses and help more than I can say. Thanks again.

Beautiful_Butterflies_Studio
12-30-2008, 04:10 AM
I think this is coming along BEAUTIFULLY, just follow the advice and he will be perfect!
PLEASE show us the end result!

artbyjune
12-31-2008, 01:26 AM
Willow looks so cute and I like her soft fur too.