PDA

View Full Version : Hibiscus Terrapene

RedTerra
12-23-2008, 07:30 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-23-2008/163438_HibiscusTerrapeneFinal.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Hibiscus Terrapene
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Wood
Dimension: 24 x 30
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
This painting is of a young eastern box turtle (scientific name of this species is Terrapene, hence the title) and a hibiscus flower. the background colors have sunk a little bit, but it's not ready for varnish yet, so I left it as is in order to photograph it without getting any shine.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I welcome all feedback and critique, positive or negative

greensyster
12-23-2008, 07:43 PM
You do such interesting pieces! My fingers were itching to do a suggestion for you but I see you have selected No please for digital alterations so I shall try to explain with a thousand words rather than one picture. The flower has exquisite form and softnes but I think the range of values is far too limited for what is essentially the COI. Plus judging by that perky animal's shadow, the flower should have a caste onto his/her chell to bring them as two objects. Also kill the intrusive date thingie as it flattens the subtle achievements you have here. Well not all I would have shown but beloved husband is making It's Christmas Eve can we start the stuffing, is the pastry turned, what about etc etc :) noises so I better tootle off. I do like you work bye the way - you have something special in the way you look and produce.

Dana Design
12-25-2008, 11:55 AM
greensyster and all, RedTerra has given permission to alter the image. As a new poster, he wasn't quite sure what the "no" meant as to alterations.

Please help if you can!

tgsloth
12-25-2008, 12:31 PM
You have absolutely nailed that turtle! He's even phosphorescent. My suggestion for improvement has to do with composition. You've set up a cruciform design with the light/dark background dividing the canvas vertically and the flower/reptile dividing it horizontally. So, it's of course too late to change the stucture of this painting and I think it's well worth framing anyhow but on the next try for a more asymmetrical placement of the elements.

thomas w
12-26-2008, 07:50 AM
Great job. Only I would lighten up the background a little to let the flower and turtle stand out more.

RedTerra
12-28-2008, 01:08 AM
Thanks all for your feedback :-))
Greensyster- sorry about the date thingie; my photoshop is down, so I can't get rid of it-or retake the pic- til I get my new Adobe CS3. I thought I put a shadow onto the turtle's shell; I'll have to take another look...
Tgsloth- I do have a tendency to make Iconic images; I didn't even realize it was cruciform until you pointed out the horizontal light/dark. I was trying to contrast the complexity of the pattern of the turtle vs. the large pink shape of the flower, and the diagonal angle of the flower stamen vs. the angle of the turtle's neck. I have to admit the flower was the hardest part of the painting.
Thomas w-Thank you also. I was afraid the flower and turtle stood out TOO much!
RedTerra